Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest from Electric Ireland for 99 installed.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Has anybody setup a NEST to replace an existing electric Immersion switch located at the hot water cylinder without running cables to the Heatlink unit from it?

Got a new Condensing boiler to replace 20yr old boiler(that had no thermostat) but plumbing is not setup that it can heat water independently to the hot water cyclinder without the rads coming on as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone care to explain how my house warm at 1.30 when I have auto schedule off and the attached is the schedule I have set.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Anyone care to explain how my house warm at 1.30 when I have auto schedule off and the attached is the schedule I have set.
    If it’s a new install it does it own thing fir a week or two as it has to learn.
    The Nest will have the house at the temperature you want at the time you want. So it has to learn how long it takes to heat.

Say you want it at 20 deg at 08:00

If the house is already at 15 deg it might take half an hour to bring to 20 so it kicks in at 7:30

If it’s st 11deg it might take 1 hr 20 so it kicks in at 6:40

The Nest needs to learn these times , so it plays around a little

ted1 wrote: »
    If it’s a new install it does it own thing fir a week or two as it has to learn.
    The Nest will have the house at the temperature you want at the time you want. So it has to learn how long it takes to heat.

Say you want it at 20 deg at 08:00

If the house is already at 15 deg it might take half an hour to bring to 20 so it kicks in at 7:30

If it’s st 11deg it might take 1 hr 20 so it kicks in at 6:40

The Nest needs to learn these times , so it plays around a little

Is this the case when i have auto learning turned off? I thought with it turned off it should just work like a programmable timer?

Is this the case when i have auto learning turned off? I thought with it turned off it should just work like a programmable timer?

its till smart, it wont auto program, but will learn about how to set and maintain the temperature.

why do you not want it to work as designed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Thanks @mirrorwall14, I had confirmation that I would need to have the temp sensors re-wired back to the boiler. Will go ahead with the Nest anyway for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks @mirrorwall14, I had confirmation that I would need to have the temp sensors re-wired back to the boiler. Will go ahead with the Nest anyway for now.

It’s horribly annoying isn’t it? We were excited thinking great, two zones already in. But nope!

its till smart, it wont auto program, but will learn about how to set and maintain the temperature.

why do you not want it to work as designed?

Thanks for your reply, but I am not sure you are right.

Check this out: https://nest.com/support/article/How-do-I-turn-off-Nest-Auto-Schedule-learning-and-use-Nest-as-a-programmable-thermostat

The link is for how to use it as a normal thermostat. I followed these steps but the Nest is not respecting the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭fletch

Unlike a traditional thermostat that turns on when you tell it, with Nest (even with the learning function turned off), if you have a schedule set up, you are telling the timer, I want the house to be X temperature at Y time so the Nest will fire the boiler in advance to bring the house up to the temperature required at the set time. Depending on the current house temperature (and the outside temperature I think), the time at which the boiler fires up will be different from day to day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

There has got to be a wireless solution rather than wiring back to the boiler... right? I'll have to do some research.
    It’s horribly annoying isn’t it? We were excited thinking great, two zones already in. But nope!

• Advertisement

Check this out: https://nest.com/support/article/How-do-I-turn-off-Nest-Auto-Schedule-learning-and-use-Nest-as-a-programmable-thermostat

The link is for how to use it as a normal thermostat. I followed these steps but the Nest is not respecting the schedule.

it states "manually program a schedule that changes your home’s temperature at the exact times you want instead."

so setting the temperature for 20deg at 08:00 means that it will come on earlier than 08:00 so that it will be 20 deg at 08:00

to do this is has to learn.

it states "manually program a schedule that changes your home’s temperature at the exact times you want instead."

so setting the temperature for 20deg at 08:00 means that it will come on earlier than 08:00 so that it will be 20 deg at 08:00

Ok, but for the heating to be on at 1pm and the house at 20 degrees when the schedule has it to be off between 8.15 and 4.15....i am still not convinced that it could be that stupid to start with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ok, but for the heating to be on at 1pm and the house at 20 degrees when the schedule has it to be off between 8.15 and 4.15....i am still not convinced that it could be that stupid to start with!!

Depends on how cold the house is. We were away over last Weekend and had heat off for four days. Took four hours for temp to rise from 11 to 22 degrees

How long has it been installed ?
    Less than 2 weeks?

Less than 2 weeks?

Yes, less than two weeks. Still can't get my head around the fact that you turn the learning feature off and it is still learning and doing it's own thing. The heating turned off at 8.15am. The house was 20 degrees at 1pm, but the heating was due to be off between 8.15 and 5. Doesn't make sense, learning or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

Hi

Have you switched off True Radiant? This is the feature whereby Nest will start heating early to ensure your desired temperature is ready on schedule (as opposed to starting to heat at the scheduled time). True Radiant is different than schedule learning.

Less than 2 weeks?

Yes, less than two weeks. Still can't get my head around the fact that you turn the learning feature off and it is still learning and doing it's own thing. The heating turned off at 8.15am. The house was 20 degrees at 1pm, but the heating was due to be off between 8.15 and 5. Doesn't make sense, learning or not.
    You’ve turned the auto schedule off not the learning feature

The heating is not set to off its set to be a certain temperature.

Let in bed in and it’ll run perfectly.

Why not let it run as designed? Give it a go

I'm kind of suspicious and feel it will end up costing way more by being on for a lot longer overall.

I'm kind of suspicious and feel it will end up costing way more by being on for a lot longer overall.
    You should give it away.
    I’m not sure if auto away works if you have it in dumb mode. That would certainly cost you money if it doesn’t sense that the house is empty and keeps the heat on

You should give it away.
    I’m not sure if auto away works if you have it in dumb mode. That would certainly cost you money if it doesn’t sense that the house is empty and keeps the heat on

Why would I give it away. I bought it so that I could have a system I could control when not at home, and one that I can schedule to be off when I want it to be off.

Maybe I should just leave it learning mode and see how it goes. From earlier comments this has led to a warmer, more comfortable home, but also to higher heating bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Is there any costs after installation? eg I have a climote but now they are looking for €19 per year remote access fee. Climote is fine and all but if it's going to be annual fee I might be better off getting the Nest @ €120 if there's no yearly fees.
    Also says on the site that they don't install on back boilers. I have a stove with a back boiler that heats the rads. Would have thought this would be a common enough set-up?

You should give it away.

Why would I give it away. I bought it so that I could have a system I could control when not at home, and one that I can schedule to be off when I want it to be off.

Maybe I should just leave it learning mode and see how it goes. From earlier comments this has led to a warmer, more comfortable home, but also to higher heating bills.
    Haha that was a typo I meant to say give it a go!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

dendof wrote: »
    Is there any costs after installation? eg I have a climote but now they are looking for €19 per year remote access fee. Climote is fine and all but if it's going to be annual fee I might be better off getting the Nest @ €120 if there's no yearly fees.

No, just purchase cost, plus installation if you want it installed professionally rather than doing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

Will it work as on off unit. I just want to be able to switch it on and off from my phone or Google assistant . Don't want it starting and doing its own thing.
    All so is this offer now 130 ? And is it for non customers

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Will it work as on off unit. I just want to be able to switch it on and off from my phone or Google assistant . Don't want it starting and doing its own thing.

Yes you can do on and off from the app and yes is / was 130 for everyone

Yes you can do on and off from the app and yes is / was 130 for everyone

Thanks
    can you have the app on more then one phone etc

Thanks
    can you have the app on more then one phone etc

Yes and invite other family members to have on their device

It won't connect now with Google, well mine wont anyhow. App works fine.

It won't connect now with Google, well mine wont anyhow. App works fine.

I know it's a Google company so might just be your settings.

https://nest.com/support/article/Learn-how-to-control-your-Nest-Learning-Thermostat-with-Google-Assistant-and-Google-Home

• Advertisement

I can ask my Google home to turn off heat and it does

Advertisement