Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest from Electric Ireland for 99 installed.

Options
  • 10-11-2016 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭

Just said i'd start a thread on this offer, A 3rd Generation Nest is 99 installed from Electric Ireland at the moment for existing customers, if you need a second for a 3rd zone it's and extra 270 included instillation.

If you were to go buy one yourself from lets say Harvey Norman, it's 219 for the nest and I think the instillation charge is 127 so for 99 installed it's a bargain if it suits your set up.

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/products/smarter-living/nest

If your thinking of taking up the offer call the ordinary sales team first as they might be able to give you a better rate on your electricity or some reward on your account. Then call the home instillation team and they'll organise the installation of the nest.
    As it's installed by them you also get a 5yr warranty on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

Just said i'd start a thread on this offer, A 3rd Generation Nest is 99 installed from Electric Ireland at the moment for existing customers, if you need a second for a 3rd zone it's and extra 270 included instillation.

If you were to go buy one yourself from lets say Harvey Norman, it's 219 for the nest and I think the instillation charge is 127 so for 99 installed it's a bargain if it suits your set up.

If your thinking of taking up the offer call the ordinary sales team first as they might be able to give you a better rate on your electricity or some reward on your account. Then call the home instillation team and they'll organise the installation of the nest.
    As it's installed by them you also get a 5yr warranty on it.

This might suit my mother. Is there any catch?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think she said I've to give them 50 if I leave within 12mts, with them years I'm not going anywhere.

I think she said I've to give them 50 if I leave within 12mts, with them years I'm not going anywhere.

How long does it take to get an install date?

Ordered them yesterday getting installed on Wednesday so a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Says it can control hot water also. How does that work?

I have 3 zones. 1 downstairs. 1 upstairs and 1 hot water. All controlled by motorised valve.

Any care to explain how nest might work for me?

• Advertisement

I have 3 zones. 1 downstairs. 1 upstairs and 1 hot water. All controlled by motorised valve.

Yea that's my exact set up, one nest will control the hot water and downstairs and the other the upstairs. So you'd need 2 installed like me so it'll set you back 369, read my first post carefully to bring that cost down.

What do you need to know?

I'm not fully sure but if you have a modern time clock it would have 3 channels.

How many channels does the nest support.

My understanding is that the heat link replaces the on/off function of the boiler. This is linked to the wireless thermostat. When the stat calls for heat it turns the boiler on.

What I am not sure of is how it handles zones.

I know that you can put the heatlink in place of the mains wired existing stats, which will then be operated by the new wireless stat. When the stat calls for heat it energizes the heat link to switch on the zone valve. The zone valve has a micro switch that has the ability to turn the boiler on.

In my head with this system you would need 2 complete nest units for the rads downstairs and upstairs.

I assume you would need another nest unit for the hot water. What I am unclear about is whether you also need the stat to turn it on.

Can a heat link be switched on without a stat???

Yea that's my exact set up, one nest will control the hot water and downstairs and the other the upstairs. So you'd need 2 installed like me so it'll set you back 369, read my first post carefully to bring that cost down.

What do you need to know?

Can the nest turn control the hot water or the downstairs separately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I've been looking at the various offers with Electric Ireland, they have this, the Climote and Honeywell. I think the Honeywell requires a subscription, so if there's only 1 zone why choose the Nest over a Netatmo?

Climate is subscription as well as far as I know.
    Nest is owned by google.

This review is worth a read http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/smart-thermostats/nest-review-uk-nest-thermostat-review-nest-3rd-gen-thermostat-3543915/

I nearly went tado but the nest is cheaper and better with the offer.

Have a basket I got from tado for everything I would have needed for the same , 368 quid and would still need to be installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

There isn't anything in that link that explicitly says its €99.
    It tells you how much you'd be saving, but not what you'd be paying.

Yea they can all be run separately with the 3rd gen nest.
    So I can have just hot water, hot water and everything, just upstairs or downstairs etc

Click on the sign up now link at the bottom of the link and follow through the next page and it'll show you the 99 price for existing customers.

Make sure you call sales/support first about any discounts for long standing customers and the great rate air Tricty were offering. Before you call the home team to order a nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Click on the sign up now link at the bottom of the link and follow through the next page and it'll show you the 99 price for existing customers.

Make sure you call sales/support first about any discounts for long standing customers and the great rate air Tricty were offering. Before you call the home team to order a nest.

hmm its like your trying to tell us something

The force is strong in this one..

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭razor12345

You might pm any additional details on this offer please

So for 99 you get a heat link at the boiler and a wireless thermostat.?
    How does it know when to heat my water?
    In my setup I have a probe in the water cylinder and that's linked back to the boiler.

You go to the app on the phone or thermostat and tell it. Program it like you would at the wall on the app or PC
    But it's a lot smarter than that, can know when your gone and coming home or close to home.

You go to the app on the phone or thermostat and tell it. Program it like you would at the wall on the app or PC
    But it's a lot smarter than that, can know when your gone and coming home or close to home.

Ya but how is it linked to my hot water cylinder? Currently I can have my hot water come on independently of heating. The probe in the tank tells the heat link to fire up the boiler to heat the water.
    Is there a probe for the Nest also?

Ya but how is it linked to my hot water cylinder? Currently I can have my hot water come on independently of heating. The probe in the tank tells the heat link to fire up the boiler to heat the water.
    Is there a probe for the Nest also?

Can you heat your water with your heating as well as with the probe in the water tank, the probe is your immersion heater (temperature control)
    Nest replaces your current thermostat/timer, You use the termostat, app or pc to program it also learns itself your schedule, you can combine it with other nest products to make it smarter.

Looks really smart

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

So for 99 you get a heat link at the boiler and a wireless thermostat.?
    How does it know when to heat my water?
    In my setup I have a probe in the water cylinder and that's linked back to the boiler.

2 Nests can do 2 radiator zones + hot water. The 2 heating zones are run by the Thermostats or changes you make on the app. The Hot Water isn't controlled by the water temperature, it is either timed, or you boost it for 30 mins, 1 or 2 hours through the app or the thermostat unit itself.

My upstairs stat controls only the upstairs heating, the downstairs stat controls both downstairs and the hotwater

whiterebel wrote: »
    2 Nests can do 2 radiator zones + hot water. The 2 heating zones are run by the Thermostats or changes you make on the app. The Hot Water isn't controlled by the water temperature, it is either timed, or you boost it for 30 mins, 1 or 2 hours through the app or the thermostat unit itself.

My upstairs stat controls only the upstairs heating, the downstairs stat controls both downstairs and the hotwater

Just wondering how the downstairs stat controls the hot water?

I currently have a heating controller something like this (but with just one heating setting and a water setting).
    It doesn't have a thermometer at all, but I can set the heating and the water to come on independently on a weekly schedule.
    I can also 'boost' water, heating or both to come on for an hour (or two).

I presume the nest would replace that level of functionality?

Horstmann-3-Channel-Electronic-Programmer-H37XL_dd09fd6c.jpg

Phoebas wrote: »
    I currently have a heating controller something like this (but with just one heating setting and a water setting).
    It doesn't have a thermometer at all, but I can set the heating and the water to come on independently on a weekly schedule.
    I can also 'boost' water, heating or both to come on for an hour (or two).

I presume the nest would replace that level of functionality?

Horstmann-3-Channel-Electronic-Programmer-H37XL_dd09fd6c.jpg

The heat link must have 2 channels?

lolliedog wrote: »
    The heat link must have 2 channels?

I don't know what a heat link is, or what a channel is in this context, so the answer is :confused:

It's just a magic box on the wall.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sorry if this has being answered before ...I have your basic oil central heating in a 3 bed semi ,no different zones or anything...what I am looking for is a basic controller for my heating and to be able to turn heating on and off from an app and to set timer from app..will the nest do these basic functions without using the smart functions of the nest

harr wrote: »
    Sorry if this has being answered before ...I have your basic oil central heating in a 3 bed semi ,no different zones or anything...what I am looking for is a basic controller for my heating and to be able to turn heating on and off from an app and to set timer from app..will the nest do these basic functions without using the smart functions of the nest

You probably have 2 zones maybe 3, water and radiators possibly upstairs and downstairs are different zones or could be made easily.

This will do what you want and way more.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't know what a heat link is, or what a channel is in this context, so the answer is :confused:

It's just a magic box on the wall.

:o

The heat link is what replaces the time clock. The stat is linked/talks to the heat link wirelessly.

Can you heat your water with your heating as well as with the probe in the water tank, the probe is your immersion heater (temperature control)
    Nest replaces your current thermostat/timer, You use the termostat, app or pc to program it also learns itself your schedule, you can combine it with other nest products to make it smarter.

Looks really smart

Let me try to explain better.
    I have 3 zones.
    Downstairs
    Upstairs
    Hot Water

All can run independently.
    Downstairs has a thermostat
    Upstairs has a thermostat
    Hot water cylinder has a temperature probe attached to the side of the tank.

If I want to have hot water for a shower and not turn on any heating to the rads I simply boost the hot water control for an hour for example.

All zones run independently from powered flow valves and are controlled via the boiler control panel. So click hot water boost fires up the boiler and opens the flow valve and voila my hot water tank fills with hot water to my desired temperature.

From the answers I have seen Nest cannot do this. Or if it can how will I be able to do it.

• Advertisement

Yes it'll work for you, it's the same set up i'm putting it in. So you'd need 2 nests and heatlinks one to control downstairs and hot water and another one for upstairs, you'll have one of those smarty twisty things upstairs and downstairs.

You'll be removing/bypassing your current control panel.

Advertisement