Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest from Electric Ireland for 99 installed.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The catch with this is that you have to specifically sign up to a "nest" plan which has significantly higher per kWh rates then their competitors.

Electric Irelands Nest plan charges 15.13 cent per kWh (excluding VAT).

By comparison Bord Gais latest plan charges 11.57 cent per kWh, excluding VAT.

An average 3 bed semi in Ireland uses 5,300 kWh per annum.

So €801 for the Nest plan and €613 with Bord Gais, a €183 difference and then add €99 for a total of €287.

Still cheaper then buying Nest directly yourself, but a lot more expensive then buying Netatmo directly for €99 to €150, if you can install it yourself.

Not to discourage anyone from getting Nest, just want to make sure people are informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've been looking at the various offers with Electric Ireland, they have this, the Climote and Honeywell. I think the Honeywell requires a subscription, so if there's only 1 zone why choose the Nest over a Netatmo?

Honeywell doesn't require a subscription.
    Tbh while 1300 is expensive the honeywell is a far better set up than nest. When I have the money I'll be upgrading.

Having said that the nest is a bargain with electric Ireland and it is a great piece of kit, even if I can't do hot water only.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Let me try to explain better.
    I have 3 zones.
    Downstairs
    Upstairs
    Hot Water

All can run independently.
    Downstairs has a thermostat
    Upstairs has a thermostat
    Hot water cylinder has a temperature probe attached to the side of the tank.

If I want to have hot water for a shower and not turn on any heating to the rads I simply boost the hot water control for an hour for example.

All zones run independently from powered flow valves and are controlled via the boiler control panel. So click hot water boost fires up the boiler and opens the flow valve and voila my hot water tank fills with hot water to my desired temperature.

From the answers I have seen Nest cannot do this. Or if it can how will I be able to do it.

Nest Can do that , you just need 2 of them. 1 for zone 1+ hot water and the second for zone 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bk wrote: »
    The catch with this is that you have to specifically sign up to a "nest" plan which has significantly higher per kWh rates then their competitors.

Electric Irelands Nest plan charges 15.13 cent per kWh (excluding VAT).

By comparison Bord Gais latest plan charges 11.57 cent per kWh, excluding VAT.

An average 3 bed semi in Ireland uses 5,300 kWh per annum.

So €801 for the Nest plan and €613 with Bord Gais, a €183 difference and then add €99 for a total of €287.

Still cheaper then buying Nest directly yourself, but a lot more expensive then buying Netatmo directly for €99 to €150, if you can install it yourself.

Not to discourage anyone from getting Nest, just want to make sure people are informed.

Some of us are using oil so Board Gais isn't a runner everywhere, I won't say what discount I got but it was a lot more than the 183 difference and at a cheaper kWh than you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

ted1 wrote: »
    Nest Can do that , you just need 2 of them. 1 for zone 1+ hot water and the second for zone 2.

I have asked this before but just want to confirm. The nest controlling zone 1 + hot water. Is it possibly to control independently. I.e water only, zone 1 only.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Some of us are using oil so Board Gais isn't a runner everywhere, I won't say what discount I got but it was a lot more than the 183 difference and at a cheaper kWh than you listed.

Bord Gais also do Electricity Only, the rate I quoted above is for their Electricity Only plan, not their dual fuel plan. Oil users can absolutely go with them for electricity.

In fact, even if you have Gas like I do, it is cheaper to go with BG for electricity and Flogas for the gas like I do.

If you got a cheaper rate then that is great for you. But I really don't like that sort of carry on. This just shows that they are ripping people off who don't think to call and haggle. I prefer companies who are transparent and up front. That is why I'll only ever give recommendations based on the prices advertised on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

I saw this and it's at the right time for me (timing unit is broken on my current unit and I'm out of contract with energia next week).

I have a Flash Programmer unit with hot water/heat and a water only setting. I don't think there are separate heating zones in the house, so would my situation require 2 Nests? One for heating, the other for water?

<edit> From reading up on it, it looks like one Nest should be enough, provided I don't have multiple rad zones. I'll try what the OP has suggested to get the unit rates down before I buy. Thanks drunkmonkey.

If you could get the switching bonus would be great. If you buy nest at sign up the 175 bonus disappears online.
    Call them and see would you lose the switching bonus and 5% discount if you signed up today but decided you wanted a nest next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

I think that for each zone you have you need one nest. For each nest you need one heat link. The heat link is really just a box connected to you burner that the nest can turn on and off. The nest thermostat replaces your timer box on the wall and where you would press boost to heat water you would now do so on the nest.

So if you can turn your rads upstairs on and off independently of each other and you can heat water then you need three nests.

garbeth wrote: »
    I think that for each zone you have you need one nest. For each nest you need one heat link. The heat link is really just a box connected to you burner that the nest can turn on and off. The nest thermostat replaces your timer box on the wall and where you would press boost to heat water you would now do so on the nest.

So if you can turn your rads upstairs on and off independently of each other and you can heat water then you need three nests.

The nest 3rd gen it's the latest one EI are doing lets you do 1 zone and hot water, so in the set up you've described you'd need a second nest to control the 3rd zone only.
    No need for a 3rd nest.
    You can do on nest, app, or pc.

• Advertisement

garbeth wrote: »

No that's wrong. The Nest does 2 zone + hot water

ted1 wrote: »
    No that's wrong. The Nest does 2 zone + hot water

It doesn't do two independent zones?

Uriel. wrote: »

This is getting very confusing. Does it not do a hot water zone and one heating (rad) zone.

lolliedog wrote: »
    This is getting very confusing. Does it not do a hot water zone and one heating (rad) zone.

It can do, depending on your setup.
    You need to check this out before purchasing though, If it's a deal breaker

It does 2 zones per nest, so if your doing hot water that's considered a zone.
    So for 3 zones (upstairs, downstairs, hot water) you'll need 2 nests.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Phoebas wrote: »
    I currently have a heating controller something like this (but with just one heating setting and a water setting).
    It doesn't have a thermometer at all, but I can set the heating and the water to come on independently on a weekly schedule.
    I can also 'boost' water, heating or both to come on for an hour (or two).

I presume the nest would replace that level of functionality?

Horstmann-3-Channel-Electronic-Programmer-H37XL_dd09fd6c.jpg

I had exactly that unit for 3 zones. You set your specific temperature on the stat for the radiators. You set a timer for you hot water, or boost it as you have done with the unit you had.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

lolliedog wrote: »

Yes it does.

Sorry that a typo it's 1 zone + water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Can someone explain this to a poor confused soul. Like some other posters I have two zones and hot water all with APT timers and valves controlled by thermostats in the two zones and on the tank. Cabling comes back to one central point where the three timers are located.

To replace this setup with Nest or similar, what is actually needed? The Nest units are thermostats. What else is needed? Leaving the hot water aside for the moment, the two heating zone thermostats would need to be replaced by Nest units in the locations in which they currently are located. What else is needed to switch on the boiler, open and shut the valves etc? Are my current valves defunct? If so, what replaces them?
    Going back to the hot water: it can be controlled by a thermostat controlling one of the heating zones. How does this work? What additional equipment is required for this?

Alternately, can anyone recommend a multizoned networked controller to replace the three APT timers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Why is everything I have posted today posting twice?

• Advertisement

Advbrd wrote: »
    Why is everything I have posted today posting twice?

Put the wireless Nest thermostats in the places that you want them to control the heat. Replace the existing controller on the wall with the 2 heatlinks they will use the cables that the current controller is using.

Assumptions: 1,that your unit is not wireless and the zones are controlled at the controller

2, that the current system uses just relays and not opentherm,

Advbrd wrote: »
    Can someone explain this to a poor confused soul. Like some other posters I have two zones and hot water all with APT timers and valves controlled by thermostats in the two zones and on the tank. Cabling comes back to one central point where the three timers are located.

To replace this setup with Nest or similar, what is actually needed? The Nest units are thermostats. What else is needed? Leaving the hot water aside for the moment, the two heating zone thermostats would need to be replaced by Nest units in the locations in which they currently are located. What else is needed to switch on the boiler, open and shut the valves etc? Are my current valves defunct? If so, what replaces them?
    Going back to the hot water: it can be controlled by a thermostat controlling one of the heating zones. How does this work? What additional equipment is required for this?

Alternately, can anyone recommend a multizoned networked controller to replace the three APT timers?

The Nest pack consists of a thermostat and a heat link. The heat link goes beside the boiler and send the signals to the motorised valves to open/close as required. The stat replaces the old thermostat, or you can get stands and move them around. It is better not to move them regularly, as they learn from their environment, apparently.

Adbvrd you need 2 nests so it'll set you back 369 less what ever discount you can get. There giving new customers 175 credit on there bill I'm sure if pushed they might give you at lest 150 and a discount on your current rate and a discount for billing online and discount for direct debit.

The 2 nest kits will replace all the thermostat and timers your currently have.

Nest have a number to call if you've any questions before buying 1800 81 71 88

Nest have a number to call if you've any questions before buying 1800 81 71 88

Technical support is not great.

I called them and Tedo and sent an email to Netamo with my pre purchase questions.
    Tedo was more expensive and didn't include instillation, still waiting on a reply from Netamo.
    Nest were very helpful and emailed me on any relevant links, only had a 1 minute wait on the phone.

Didn't contact Honeywell or Climote as there both subscription services so had no interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Honeywell doesn't require a subscription.

Must have been mixing my systems up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

This is now showing up at €199 for existing customers.
    I'll have to wait for the price to drop again.

Phoebas wrote: »
    This is now showing up at €199 for existing customers.
    I'll have to wait for the price to drop again.

I'd call them because it's on offer to new customers for 99 still, I posted the number up above somewhere. They should give it to you still for the 99 i'd say along with the other bonuses for staying with them.
    I paid 99 last week and it's been installed tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Can anyone confirm they got the nest for 99 euro in the last few weeks ( existing customers ) I rang to order yesterday and was told it's 199 and the 99 was only for new customers and that they never had it on sale at 99 for existing customers ??????

Advertisement