Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Really some statement from a person with no involvement. How would you possibly know what's required.

I'd be seriously worried if a person who hasn't his mind a minute was elected to a board.

Served my time on rep committee ,time ,personal commitments etc meant not for me at this stage in my life ,I have strong interest in it tho .my views are my opinion of some that sit on our board so I do have an idea what's required thank u very much .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

how many of the moaning glanbia guys will get off their asses and do something like hand in there notice when the time comes around. no should be scared of change. leaving wexford when i did was the hardest thing i had to do , but it has worked out great for me and my fellow farmers who left , farmers must embrace change to keep the milk buyers honest .

Right ye were asked a month ago and you've just gone out of your way to tell us how well off you are after changing to Strathroy. What is their base price for what constituents and what quality standards? Put up or shut up.

Edit. Wats the craic has posted this price elsewhere. Apologies to wtc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Really some statement from a person with no involvement. How would you possibly know what's required.

I'd be seriously worried if a person who hasn't his mind a minute was elected to a board.

Served my time on rep committee ,time ,personal commitments etc meant not for me at this stage in my life ,I have strong interest in it tho .my views are my opinion of some that sit on our board so I do have an idea what's required thank u very much .....

To be fair board members are human beings like the rest of us and ultimately we all have a vested interest in self preservation. Unfortunately for the rest of us the way the system is set up it doesn't encourage any descenting voices. You may recall a very prominent court case where allegations were made that management directly intervened in the election process of one particular co op. Obviously those claims were denied, but I know the version of events I believe. As farmers we can have a tendency to get star struck when rubbing shoulders with management. Also let's face it, in some of the larger co ops being on the board can carry with it the perk of being a director of multiple different companies and organizations. Hard to give that up if one knows that expressing an opposing point of view cold damage ones career path. To be fair I don't think that may be as big an issue in some of the smaller co ops as career opportunities are not as plentiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Right ye were asked a month ago and you've just gone out of your way to tell us how well off you are after changing to Strathroy. What is their base price for what constituents and what quality standards? Put up or shut up.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104156447 In fairness he does post some strathroy info

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Whelan set me straight. Apologies to wtc.

• Advertisement

how many of the moaning glanbia guys will get off their asses and do something like hand in there notice when the time comes around. no should be scared of change. leaving wexford when i did was the hardest thing i had to do , but it has worked out great for me and my fellow farmers who left , farmers must embrace change to keep the milk buyers honest .
    Just wondering how will it be handled, will there be different clauses put in to stop people moving or gentlemens agreements between co-ops not to take on glanbia suppliers?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just wondering how will it be handled, will there be different clauses put in to stop people moving or gentlemens agreements between co-ops not to take on glanbia suppliers?

Hard to know but if I were to guess it will be sold on the back of the idea of the co op carrying out some elaborate investment that will be sold to you as vital for "your" future survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

In fairness j has been on the board with my co op over the years so he has a fair idea

Possibly something got lost in translation. But still we are better that Latvia and Lithuania!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

The Italian and Spanish prices usually bring out the green eyed side in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    In fairness j has been on the board with my co op over the years so he has a fair idea

Cheers Kev ,not quite board but rep committee ,which forms board ,big commitement but not for me right now ,something that dose really interest me tho and maby down road I will go again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Can't see what's wrong with bok article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

kevthegaff wrote: »

I don't doubt his ability or experience but commentary on what or who another company may need on their board is what I was referring to.

mf240 wrote: »
    Can't see what's wrong with bok article.

There's nothing wrong with it. He's calling it as it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Looks like no great fall off in US grain yields so grain prices look like remaining low for another year and US dairy farmers will have access to a low price input for another year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-corn-yield-idUSKBN1AJ2R3

Looks like no great fall off in US grain yields so grain prices look like remaining low for another year and US dairy farmers will have access to a low price input for another year.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-corn-yield-idUSKBN1AJ2R3

A bushel of corn is almost 32kg so at 165 bushels per acre your looking at an average of over 5 ton of corn per acre or somewhere in the region 13 ton of grain per hectare! And that's just the national average! Maybe we are not that competitive after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

These lads were being royally rode and very sore about it. The company even had them confined to their old quota through a contract. They were under serious pressure as CoP was 32c/litre.

They were envious of our system and how we invested, it's all relative!!

Notwithstanding their contract, will they be able to change processor once they are free of it? Geographically speaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

And on the back of a soft dollar to drive exports....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

ICOS have put up 90 days as the notice time for coops. Don't agree with it, but it's time for suppliers who are not happy with their processor to test it.
    This is esp easy where processors considerably overlap, geographically. Should the new processor refuse to deal, without a valid reason, EU competition authority should be asked to look into it. Don't be wasting time with the Irish crowd.

• Advertisement

The competition authority's remit is to ensure as much value as possible for the consumer. The farmer is of no concern.

The competition authority's remit is to ensure as much value as possible for the consumer. The farmer is of no concern.

That's a grey area. The German competition authority has issued an interim report suggesting they believe similar contracts in Germany to be illegal. I would guess the European competition authority would be more in tune with the Germans than with the Irish.

Interesting fact the person in the Irish competition authority who's legal opinion formed the basis of the Irish ruling on these contracts was a former partner in the firm of solicitors who drafted the first MSA in this country. Would love to see Europe have a look at it! Where are the farm organizations now standing on all this?

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    That's a grey area. The German competition authority has issued an interim report suggesting they believe similar contracts in Germany to be illegal. I would guess the European competition authority would be more in tune with the Germans than with the Irish.

Interesting fact the person in the Irish competition authority who's legal opinion formed the basis of the Irish ruling on these contracts was a former partner in the firm of solicitors who drafted the first MSA in this country. Would love to see Europe have a look at it! Where are the farm organizations now standing on all this?

They are being financed by the creamerys which in itself would probably be questionable but this isint Germany (yet:D!)

They are being financed by the creamerys which in itself would probably be questionable but this isint Germany (yet:D!)

True but when anyone wants to force us to do something they always cite EU regulations. So if its good for the goose you'd imagine it should be good for the gander. The question is why are our farm organizations not making an issue out of this and taking it to Europe? Anything that restricts a farmers right to sell his/her produce to the highest bidder should surely be of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Throw it into the basket of questions along with independent milk testing when giving IFA, ICMSA, Macra and ICOS the questionaire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

True but when anyone wants to force us to do something they always cite EU regulations. So if its good for the goose you'd imagine it should be good for the gander. The question is why are our farm organizations not making an issue out of this and taking it to Europe? Anything that restricts a farmers right to sell his/her produce to the highest bidder should surely be of concern.

While you're complaining about the market not being allowed to work, is product still being dumped into intervention not another cardinal sin.
    I say dumped because there doesn't seem to be any effort to sell it. Wish some one would pay for a percentage of lamb to be taken off the market and dumped...competition authority is asleep on this any way, they're supposed to be protecting the consumer,

rangler1 wrote: »

While you're complaining about the market not being allowed to work, is product still being dumped into intervention not another cardinal sin.
    I say dumped because there doesn't seem to be any effort to sell it. Wish some one would pay for a percentage of lamb to be taken off the market and dumped...competition authority is asleep on this any way, they're supposed to be protecting the consumer,

The competition authority is suppose to be protecting everyone by ensuring fair competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

The competition authority is suppose to be protecting everyone by ensuring fair competition.

The secret is in the name, ''competition and consumer protection commission''.

From reading about it, they can buy at any price they like but they can't have a dominant position selling , so actually in selling milk the farmer is obliged to let the market work and not form a cartel.
    Longer you live the more you learn, if you google it there's lots of information on the obligations of fair selling of product.
    I think you might be trying to aim that loaded gun at your foot

rangler1 wrote: »

The secret is in the name, ''competition and consumer protection commission''.

From reading about it, they can buy at any price they like but they can't have a dominant position selling , so actually in selling milk the farmer is obliged to let the market work and not form a cartel.
    Longer you live the more you learn, if you google it there's lots of information on the obligations of fair selling of product.
    I think you might be trying to aim that loaded gun at your foot

Well the Germans seam to have a different take on it and the very fact that the Irish competition authority did claim to have investigated the Irish MSAs would indicate that they must have some jurisdiction in this particular area. So I'd be very surprised if it is legal to force a farmer to sell milk to a cartel either. Would seam the Germans are thinking along similar lines.

Would love to see Europe shine a light on the performance of our national outfit. Even our gang have been know to do uturns in the past so their obviously not infallible.

• Advertisement

From today's farming independent

Advertisement