Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Price III

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Shop around they can be got for less. Remember you are the customer and they should want your business.
    I never look for the cheapest deal.

I always look for the fairest deal.

As long as I feel I am getting that, I'll stay doing business with that business.

GDT up 0.4% with butter going over the 6k mark for the first time in GDT. Skim drops to below intervention price.

I'll stick up a link later if no one does it first.
    Journal analysis
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/irish-farmers-journal-nightly-news-butter-breaks-6-000-at-gdt-and-the-harvest-294022

GDT results.
    https://www.globaldairytrade.info/en/product-results/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,216 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What was the Strathroy price for June?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

whelan2 wrote: »
    What was the Strathroy price for June?

Pressure needs to be applied on this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Having said that what is the Botherbue price for June? All I know is anytime I've asked a Botherbue supplier how much he's being paid he has always been ahead of everyone plus they get other perks like half the ai bill paid and other nice little touches that people supplying other co ops don't get. But yet they don't take part in the milk price league. Im guessing there can be all sorts of reasons for being shy about the price.

• Advertisement

Having said that what is the Botherbue price for June? All I know is anytime I've asked a Botherbue supplier how much he's being paid he has always been ahead of everyone plus they get other perks like half the ai bill paid and other nice little touches that people supplying other co ops don't get. But yet they don't take part in the milk price league. Im guessing there can be all sorts of reasons for being shy about the price.
    Whats the story with ai being paid ?

Whats the story with ai being paid ?

I was told as part of the deal of being a Co Op member something like half of the AI bill is paid by the CoOp. I am guessing it is done as a means of the co op supporting the use of more AI. How does one value that per litre of milk price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Simple enough divide bill by litres. Not much good saying someone told you unless the actual price can be printed same for strathroy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Own-brand milk in Tesco UK is £1 for 4 pints, 2.272 L.

That's 44 pence per litre.

44p is about 52c at an exchange rate of 85p.

Here we pay 1.49 for 2L, or 74.5c per litre.

So for a similar size jug, the retail price is 30% cheaper in the UK.

How much do UK farmers get for raw milk? Compared to the RoI?

Thanks.

Geuze wrote: »
    Own-brand milk in Tesco UK is £1 for 4 pints, 2.272 L.

That's 44 pence per litre.

44p is about 52c at an exchange rate of 85p.

Here we pay 1.49 for 2L, or 74.5c per litre.

So for a similar size jug, the retail price is 30% cheaper in the UK.

How much do UK farmers get for raw milk? Compared to the RoI?

Thanks.

Not sure depends on their supplier I think Arla are paying 28p, nearly sure those supplying Tesco were on a better contract so possibly getting more. Base price in Irish coops is around 33c at the minute so similar farmgate prices at the moment

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Simple enough divide bill by litres. Not much good saying someone told you unless the actual price can be printed same for strathroy

Yes true on an individual farm it would be very easy to work out but as no two farmers would have the same AI costs including something like that on a milk price league would be more difficult. Not dissimilar as to why having to share up in co ops is also not included in milk price league as no two farm will be the exact same.

It should only be the base price included everything else can be mentioned after the fact

Aye indeed.......

It should only be the base price included everything else can be mentioned after the fact
    A good summary here...

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/milk-cheques-up-140m-in-june-294170

The majority of co-ops have increased their June milk prices by 1c/l. Lakeland was first out of the blocks, with a 1c/l increase to 31.3c/l (excluding VAT) at 3.6% fat and 3.3% protein.
    This was followed by Glanbia (31.22c/), Kerry (31.2c/l), Arrabawn (31.93c/l), Dairygold (31.7c/l), LacPatrick (31.54c/l) and Aurivo (31.69c/l), all excluding VAT.

Looks like Kerry leading from the back to me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Not sure depends on their supplier I think Arla are paying 28p, nearly sure those supplying Tesco were on a better contract so possibly getting more. Base price in Irish coops is around 33c at the minute so similar farmgate prices at the moment

If the farmgate prices are close, then who is getting the extra margin in Ireland?

Processor or retailer?

Geuze wrote: »
    If the farmgate prices are close, then who is getting the extra margin in Ireland?

Processor or retailer?

Retailers most likely., the likes of Tesco don't show profits in Ireland separate from UK business. Processor delivers the milk and puts it in the fridges I think possibly pay for fridges as weml

A good summary here...

The majority of co-ops have increased their June milk prices by 1c/l. Lakeland was first out of the blocks, with a 1c/l increase to 31.3c/l (excluding VAT) at 3.6% fat and 3.3% protein.
    This was followed by Glanbia (31.22c/), Kerry (31.2c/l), Arrabawn (31.93c/l), Dairygold (31.7c/l), LacPatrick (31.54c/l) and Aurivo (31.69c/l), all excluding VAT.

Dairygold should state 31.2 As that's the base. If they want to include the quality bonus in publication like that then put it in before solids adjustment.

A good summary here...

Dairygold should state 31.2 As that's the base. If they want to include the quality bonus in publication like that then put it in before solids adjustment.

Should revolving funds be included in milk price? Ultimately what would happen to milk price should a co op have to pay that back to farmers? Or are farmers guaranteed such a fund would ever be paid back? Nothing in the rules preventing such a scheme being rolled over and a new scheme funding the repayment of the old scheme? But in fairness such schemes are an ingenious way of keeping the milk price looking better than it actually is at least in short term.

Should revolving funds be included in milk price? Ultimately what would happen to milk price should a co op have to pay that back to farmers? Or are farmers guaranteed such a fund would ever be paid back? Nothing in the rules preventing such a scheme being rolled over and a new scheme funding the repayment of the old scheme? But in fairness such schemes are an ingenious way of keeping the milk price looking better than it actually is at least in short term.

Revolving fund is different and can be stated after the fact. It was stopped when base price was lower. It will be paid back
    The base price is the price the solids adjustment is calculated on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Correct Mooo on quality bonus. If everyone throws in quality bonus, West Cork go further over the horizon.

• Advertisement

Interesting... trying to post a photo of Bill o keeffes article in the journal. Glanbia is not the holy land.

Haven't seen it, Bill has been throwing a few shapes recently. Hope he survives.

Revolving fund is different and can be stated after the fact. It was stopped when base price was lower. It will be paid back
    The base price is the price the solids adjustment is calculated on

Ah but that's the thing. Nothing stopping a decision being made to roll it over for example. Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't there a precedent set In goldenvale where revolving fund was not paid back?

Ah but that's the thing. Nothing stopping a decision being made to roll it over for example. Correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't there a precedent set In goldenvale where revolving fund was not paid back?

No clue about goldenvale. It was stated in the agreement it will be paid back. Not going to get in to your hypotheticals here. If you want to continue that you know where the dairygold thread is

That I think, would count as robbery, as the revolving fund is simply, a loan.

As per Whelan Danone paying 7 cent more in France. Maybe suppliers in Ireland should be supplying them directly?

Water John wrote: »
    Haven't seen it, Bill has been throwing a few shapes recently. Hope he survives.
    Bill is as well able to take it as he is to dish it out.

He has some interesting viewpoints, tbf.

Bill is as well able to take it as he is to dish it out.

He has some interesting viewpoints, tbf.
    Can you post a link to it, interesting times ahead with Glanbia suppliers being able to hand in theor notice from next January, the other table I posted says it all really. No fixed price or co-op support masking anything there

Can you post a link to it, interesting times ahead with Glanbia suppliers being able to hand in theor notice from next January, the other table I posted says it all really. No fixed price or co-op support masking anything there
    Here it is.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/farmer-writes-glanbia-is-not-the-holy-land-294119

You'll have to input the reader code in the back of the journal to read it, or borrow it from someone not using their code if you're not a subscriber;)

We can’t all move to the milk price Holy Land of west Cork but there are credible alternatives out there that will poach some supply if we see another year of below-average performance.

Interesting end comment.

It is time alright for dairy farmers to wake up and smell the BS.

• Advertisement

Have some posts disappeared? Saw something interesting. Where is it gone?

Advertisement