Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks bk. Do you know if Home works with the Yeelight bulbs from Xiaomi? I'm reading conflicting things on the net.

I don't have Yeelights myself, but it seems so. Both natively (if you set the Yeelight server to Singapore) and via IFTTT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Home is better as an assistant - search, integration with your Google Services (email, calendar, maps etc) but to say that is better at controlling things is categorically and demonstrably wrong. Far more services are currently Alexa enabled then are Google enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    does anybody know when the new "routines" feature will be rolled out. e.g. saying "alexa goodmorning" turn on lights, gives flash briefing, weather, traffic and turn on kettle
    it was mentioned when the new product line up was presented but no release date specified
    i know there are work-arounds to get it done but would prefer to do it the amazon way (at least try!)

new products keep on coming: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/25/16535002/amazon-cloud-cam-camera-alexa-key-in-home-delivery

but no news on my Routines question

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Home is better as an assistant - search, integration with your Google Services (email, calendar, maps etc) but to say that is better at controlling things is categorically and demonstrably wrong. Far more services are currently Alexa enabled then are Google enabled.

That was true when GHome first launched, but they have massively caught up in the last few months. Literally every smart device in my home is now natively supported by GHome:

- SmartThings
    - HomeAssistant
    - Wink
    - IFTTT
    - Stringify
    - Philips Hue
    - Logitech Harmony
    - Netatmo
    - Nest
    - Pretty much every other smart thermostat on the market (Hive, Tado, Honeywell, etc.)
    - TP Link
    - Wemo
    - Energenie MiHome
    - LightwaveRF
    - LifX
    - Osram
    - Multiple smart locks (august, Kiwi, etc.)
    - Lutron
    - Leviton
    - Multiple sprinkler systems

Frankly the list is pretty exhaustive and devices are being added at an insane rate now.

Of course I readily admit that not every last device that Alexa supports is there. I mean I can't actually think of any right now, but I'm sure there are some.

But frankly all the important ones are there now, pretty much all the ones we talk about on this forum and I expect any missing would be added very quickly. They really have closed the gap.

And here is the really important bit, when GHome does gain native support for it, it is much better then Alexa IME. For instance Alexa had support for my Netatmo Thermostat well before GHome, but it has always been very buggy and not really worked well. Now that GHome has support for it, it works extremely well, zero bugs.

IMO The only area that Amazon leads on now is simply the greater range of hardware, like the show and spot and third party partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Sorry for jumping in but in a similar boat myself with looking at these.

To me the most interesting one is the Echo Plus with the built in hub, if this can do away with one or two of the hubs that would be required for heating, lighting etc. then, to me, it would be they way to go. Will be interesting to see how this goes when launched and how well all the various smart home tech can be integrated.

Another option would be to get the Shield TV with the new smartthings usb adapter again this would hopefully do away with a few hubs and give me a great media player/android box. Actually I can see somebody (above my knowledge unfortunately) getting this usb adapter to plug into a rpi e.g. and work with the likes of HA which would be a great setup.

So many choices now and things are really beginning to accelerate with smart home products.

• Advertisement

THE ALM wrote: »
    Another option would be to get the Shield TV with the new smartthings usb adapter again this would hopefully do away with a few hubs and give me a great media player/android box. Actually I can see somebody (above my knowledge unfortunately) getting this usb adapter to plug into a rpi e.g. and work with the likes of HA which would be a great setup.

I've a Nvidia Shield TV, it is great, best streamer I've ever used by a long way (I've also Roku/Now TV and Fire TV and tried generic Android TV in the past). So I highly recommend it. I haven't used it for HA stuff though, the Smartthings USB plug is interesting.

I believe other USB dongles exist for Zigbee and Z-wave for the Rpi already.
    THE ALM wrote: »
    So many choices now and things are really beginning to accelerate with smart home products.

This, big time, the market is really heating up and getting exciting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭THE ALM

bk wrote: »
    I've a Nvidia Shield TV, it is great, best streamer I've ever used by a long way (I've also Roku/Now TV and Fire TV and tried generic Android TV in the past). So I highly recommend it. I haven't used it for HA stuff though, the Smartthings USB plug is interesting.

I believe other USB dongles exist for Zigbee and Z-wave for the Rpi already.

This, big time, the market is really heating up and getting exciting :D

Yeah the shield has been on my radar for a while, great piece of kit and waiting to see if any good black friday deals pop up.

I see that there are a few different usb dongles but it seems they can be a bit hit or miss as to getting them set up and working, not that the smartthings one could be any better but certainly something I will be keeping an eye on.

All these new products and developments would make your head melt keeping up with them, just the beginning I feel so will be important, long term, to back the right horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

yoshimitsu wrote: »

Routines and voice recognition on latest apk.

Yep, routines working fine for me now.

Anyone been able to natively control a Fire TV Denice using an Echo yet? Everything I've seen says the first step is connecting the Echo to the Fire TV via the "Music, Video & Books" section of the Alexa app, but I've only ever been able to see "Music & Books" as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Demelza

Hi, Apologies if this is a repeat query but I have changed my phone handset and cannot get the Alexa app through the AppStore. I have tried changing store and have tried changing my iCloud location to UK but this now requires a UK credit card. The recent iOS update seems to have made it more difficult to change App Store location. The solutions listed previously rely on being able to change to another App Store. Is there another way I can get my Echo to work using an iPhone? Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Demelza wrote: »
    Hi, Apologies if this is a repeat query but I have changed my phone handset and cannot get the Alexa app through the AppStore. I have tried changing store and have tried changing my iCloud location to UK but this now requires a UK credit card. The recent iOS update seems to have made it more difficult to change App Store location. The solutions listed previously rely on being able to change to another App Store. Is there another way I can get my Echo to work using an iPhone? Many thanks.
    You need to set up a new apple account from a PC or Mac and when you select UK as the region and a UK address it let's you skip adding the card details. It's all in here in more detail if you willing to scroll back a few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Demelza

Thanks, I had found previous advice on the boards but had been trying it on my mobile browser. I’ll try on the PC instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Demelza wrote: »
    Thanks, I had found previous advice on the boards but had been trying it on my mobile browser. I’ll try on the PC instead.
    Good luck. I had the exact same problem myself. Why they don't release the app world wide is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Are there any issues with the Amazon Echo Show in Ireland? I was thinking of getting it for my grandmother as a way to keep in touch.
    She isn't able to use a smart phone (94 years of age) but I'd love to get her a device where I could leave vid messages for her. Something like whatsapp... but hands free like the echo show.

Sniipe wrote: »
    Are there any issues with the Amazon Echo Show in Ireland? I was thinking of getting it for my grandmother as a way to keep in touch.
    She isn't able to use a smart phone (94 years of age) but I'd love to get her a device where I could leave vid messages for her. Something like whatsapp... but hands free like the echo show.

I don't think anyone here has tried one yet. I think there might be issues with how you call a different device and the number registered.

But you could buy one and try. Amazon are very good about taking things back in 30 days no questions asked (though you might have to pay p&p back), specially if you explain it isn't working in Ireland.

This product might also interest you:
    https://nucleuslife.com/

BTW let us know how it goes, I'd be interested in the same myself.

Yep, routines working fine for me now.

Anyone been able to natively control a Fire TV Denice using an Echo yet? Everything I've seen says the first step is connecting the Echo to the Fire TV via the "Music, Video & Books" section of the Alexa app, but I've only ever been able to see "Music & Books" as an option.

Anyone?

This product might also interest you:
    https://nucleuslife.com/
    Very interesting, although it would rock if I could leave a vid message ...like skype... /me off to look for skype hardware...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

Sniipe wrote: »
    Very interesting, although it would rock if I could leave a vid message ...like skype... /me off to look for skype hardware...

This conversation probably needs its own thread now but this 94 year old have Wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The new Echo and Echo Plus are getting a lot of underwhelming reviews.

Sound quality on the new Echo seems to be poorer than the original. Was going to pick one up to add to the dot I have but have gone cold on the idea now.

Also the Sonos 1 isn’t getting glowing reviews either, more on the Alexa integration rather than sound quality.

Seems to me the best solution still seems to be a dot with a decent Bluetooth speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Set eyes on the Echo version 1 today
    It was the first time I saw it in the flesh.

It's feck'n massive. Mush bigger than I expected.

I have a Tap and it's dwarfed next to the Echo.
    Actually looks too big to me. It's would stand out in a kitchen for example.

The Google Home looks much better size wise.
    Tap is about the height of a pint glass and circumference is similar to the bottom of a pint glass. Perfect size really.

The new redesigned Echo (with the new covers) is more about the size of the tap. The original Echo is quite big.

Unfortunately from reviews the sound quality of the new echo has suffered versus the original. Which is a pity as I really I think the new Echo looks great, nicest looking of all these devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

adox wrote: »
    The new Echo and Echo Plus are getting a lot of underwhelming reviews.

Sound quality on the new Echo seems to be poorer than the original. Was going to pick one up to add to the dot I have but have gone cold on the idea now.

Also the Sonos 1 isn’t getting glowing reviews either, more on the Alexa integration rather than sound quality.

Seems to me the best solution still seems to be a dot with a decent Bluetooth speaker.

I got the new Echo (£90 one) today and there is no comparison in the sound between the Dot and Echo.

The build quality of the Echo is lovely and the way you can switch the cover is a really nice idea.

Myself and two others bought three between us and got the £50 discount, so for £73 for the Echo and with my short time with it I think it's well worth it.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I got the new Echo (£90 one) today and there is no comparison in the sound between the Dot and Echo.

I think the sound comparison was with the original big Echo, not the dot. No one would be surprised to hear that the new Echo sounds far better then the dot.

I agree that the design of the new echo looks great. The changeable covers is great for blending it into your homes decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think the sound comparison was with the original big Echo, not the dot. No one would be surprised to hear that the new Echo sounds far better then the dot.

I agree that the design of the new echo looks great. The changeable covers is great for blending it into your homes decor.

Ah now I get you.

I don't have a Sonos or anything like that in the house but the sound seems perfectly fine to me.

Now to add the Amazon Cam when it releases :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

emmetkenny wrote: »

The build quality of the Echo is lovely and the way you can switch the cover is a really nice idea.

Myself and two others bought three between us and got the £50 discount, so for £73 for the Echo and with my short time with it I think it's well worth it.

Not comparing to the dot at all. Was comparing to the original echo, which many if the reviews were.

I use Alexa a lot for Spotify so sound quality would be high on th list of things I’d be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm at the end of my tether trying to get Alexa to talk to the Harmony. Every time I pair it all up it seems fine then I tell her to turn on the TV and she gives me an error saying there's nothing linked and she'll send info to the app. It's pure useless. I don't want to use a 3rd party app because I don't want to have to say something pure longwinded like "Alexa, Ask Yenomi to ask Harmony to turn on the TV"

Has anyone actually got this working using the harmony Skill?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm at the end of my tether trying to get Alexa to talk to the Harmony. Every time I pair it all up it seems fine then I tell her to turn on the TV and she gives me an error saying there's nothing linked and she'll send info to the app. It's pure useless. I don't want to use a 3rd party app because I don't want to have to say something pure longwinded like "Alexa, Ask Yenomi to ask Harmony to turn on the TV"

Mine works perfect with Harmony Hub , I use Yenomi and just say " Alexa , Turn on TV "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Jayop wrote: »

Yeah like sharkman I am also using Yenomi, Harmony hub and Alexa. I have many skills set up like "Alexa turn on normal TV" which turns on the tv, sat box and chooses the channel and correct HDMI input. I use 'normal TV' as I have others like turn on Apple TV or turn on chromecast etc etc.

When you get on top of it and get some other smart devices you can group smart lights and plugs with existing smart devices and have triggers like turn on evening tv so that certain lights and the TV go on.

Advertisement