Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sound so maybe I'll give Yenomi another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

Using Alexa to turn Hue lights off and on but it keeps telling me I have two lights with the same name even though I don't. Anyone have this and how did you solve it?

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

mossie wrote: »
    Using Alexa to turn Hue lights off and on but it keeps telling me I have two lights with the same name even though I don't. Anyone have this and how did you solve it?

Yes , Since the last update my app shows double the smart plugs that I have . Although it works properly .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

sharkman wrote: »
    Yes , Since the last update my app shows double the smart plugs that I have . Although it works properly .

Seems to be showing the right number of lights just thinks there are two of each for two bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Buttros

I've had this since the start. Only thing I could think of was to name them hall 1&2 or something and then create a group with both in there called hall.... This group is actually one bulb.... It's a pain in the ass.... I only have a few bulbs... Have the time I just turn on all as it's easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Mine works perfect with Harmony Hub , I use Yenomi and just say " Alexa , Turn on TV "

I've never had problems with Alexa and Harmony but rather than using Yonomi i just say "Alexa,tell Harmony to turn on/off TV" this turns on TV,AVR Receiver,Sky Box and changes the channel to 501,this has been set up as an activity on the Harmony,as has Netflix,amazon,chromecast etc. Have you activities set up on Alexa and have you tried asking to ask Harmony

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Buttros wrote: »
    I've had this since the start. Only thing I could think of was to name them hall 1&2 or something and then create a group with both in there called hall.... This group is actually one bulb.... It's a pain in the ass.... I only have a few bulbs... Have the time I just turn on all as it's easier

I had some issues with groups of lights until my wife got frustrated and told Alexa to turn on the bloody lights. I changed the group name to 'bloody lights' and its never failed since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Mine works perfect with Harmony Hub , I use Yenomi and just say " Alexa , Turn on TV "

Do you find a delay in message getting to TV? I have but i dont know if its a delay from alexa to yonomi or yonomi to harmony. Not between harmony and tv as instructions through the app work instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

My Harmony Hub working grand and can get it to go to some of the favourite stations I have selected on the remove via Alexa.

On another note is there any way of decreasing the volume on Echo for the OK response. In bed and Junior just got to sleep I say Echo turn off bedroom lights and then a loud OK from her..and Junior starts to stir a bit:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

My Harmony Hub working grand and can get it to go to some of the favourite stations I have selected on the remove via Alexa.

On another note is there any way of decreasing the volume on Echo for the OK response. In bed and Junior just got to sleep I say Echo turn off bedroom lights and then a loud OK from her..and Junior starts to stir a bit:mad:

There doesn't seem to be but you can tell her at what volume to operate on using a 1 to 10 scale,so maybe prior to asking the light question ask her to go to volume 4 or 5 first

And on another note,having had her for over a year I speak about her as if she was a person,is this where the lines between real and virtual start to blur :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

On another note is there any way of decreasing the volume on Echo for the OK response. In bed and Junior just got to sleep I say Echo turn off bedroom lights and then a loud OK from her..and Junior starts to stir a bit

Maybe just use the light switch??

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Harmony Blue skill now available :D:D:D:D

Maybe just use the light switch??

to lazy to get up so have to turn them off via the app:o

Harmony Blue skill now available :D:D:D:D

What exactly does this do as I think I have this already and using Harmony to change channels and turn on/off the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

What exactly does this do as I think I have this already and using Harmony to change channels and turn on/off the tv

Up until now you had to say “Alexa tell harmony to turn on tv...”
    Now with the blue app enabled you can you say “Alexa turn on tv...”

A subtle but big differnce.

adox wrote: »

A subtle but big differnce.

:D You beat me to it !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Having said that I do find the harmony integration with Alexa very finickety. A lot of times I give a command and get “ok” from Alexa but there I a long delay before the command is carried out if at all. It’s very inconsistent for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

They're having a development day in Dublin, a place where they don't even officially sell the Echo / Dot, etc...??!

Is this an officially sanctioned event by Amazon? It seems so from the link, but I can't understand why we can't download the Alexa app here, yet they want to invite us to come to an all-day event about using the same app! It doesn't make sense.

That said, I'd still be interested if I was free to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

adox wrote: »

A subtle but big difference.

Ok I must be on the US account as I had this already to turn on the TV but to change channels I have to say ask/tell harmony to turn on BBC1. ? Only have a few channels that it can go to yet all in my favourites. Also have it set up to turn on Android box so not sure if this is separate skill.

Price Drops all over the place on Amazon Devices.
    Argos - http://fave.co/2iVR5zh
    Amazon - http://amzn.to/2jt5iaE
    Currys PC World - http://tidd.ly/20587365

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

I've got a dot connected to speakers via cable, I having to connect/disconnect cable from tv to dot and vice versa every time. Use it loads for spotify and tune in. Would there be any solution to this niggle without shelling out for the echo itsef?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

As in some sort of splitter for the connection or as in purchase of new equipment like a better speaker? My soundbar is connected to my TV with an optical cable and to use my my Dot I just switch over to Bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

As in some sort of splitter for the connection or as in purchase of new equipment like a better speaker? My soundbar is connected to my TV with an optical cable and to use my my Dot I just switch over to Bluetooth.

Yes some sort of splitter but not sure what would be required?
    I don't want to replace speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Alexa has gone to absolute Shïte since the last update, the hue functionality is all but gone now, all I can do it turn the lights on and off and dim them.

Any time I try to change colours or set scenes and recipes it either says there's two devices of that name so rename them and rediscover.

Or it says hmmm Philips hue isn't responding or it says ok and they don't change, I've spent hours and hours with no luck and my Harmony is also misbehaving.

I'm not on my own just look at all the reviews on the Hue skill in the Skills store and they all say the same giving 1 star.

How can an update be such a giant step backwards?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

How can an update be such a giant step backwards?

Maybe as a result of them trying to turn the Echo Plus into a hub for Hue.

I get the impression from Echo that a lot of their software updates are very rushed, thrown together and not well tested. Just get new features out there without really thinking them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

RTE skill is now a proper news report instead of Alexa just reading the headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭meelick

Hi all,
    Amazon Music unlimited was working fine up to this evening. Now it says "Amazon Music is not currently available in your region". Anybody else notice this?
    Regards,
    Dave.

Advertisement