Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Anybody else get the free Audible book, A Christmas Carol, to try with the Echo? Works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Facebook support page for Irish users:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AlexaFansIreland/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Have Echo dot running Sky, TV, music stereo with Amazon music and Spotify, all using the Harmony Hub. You can use Yonomi or the Harmony skill to get Echo to run them. Works great.

Can you say phrases like "Alexa , watch sky sports 1" or is it just channel up/down functions etc?

Do you have to position the hub opposite to your devices in order for the IR commands to go through correctly?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Emmo-m- wrote: »
    Can you say phrases like "Alexa , watch sky sports 1" or is it just channel up/down functions etc?

If you had added it to the Harmony Hub as a favourite channel (easy to do) first, then yes.
    Do you have to position the hub opposite to your devices in order for the IR commands to go through correctly?

The IR hub is very powerful, I've mine simply sitting on top of my devices and the IR signal bounces off the opposite wall and controls the devices just fine.

Also the hub comes with two IR blaster extenders on the end of a cable for more flexible placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Did a search but couldn't find this

Get Alexa to find your phone

1. Download TrackR
    iPhone app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trackr-find-lost-keys-wallets/id588363491?mt=8
    Droid app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.phonehalo.itemtracker&hl=en
    2. Set up your phone in the app using the wizard.
    3. Ask Alexa Enable TrackR
    4. Ask Alexa What is my pin code and enter this on the screen in the TrackR app
    5. To find your phone Ask Alexa Ask TrackR to find my phone.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    If you had added it to the Harmony Hub as a favourite channel (easy to do) first, then yes.

The IR hub is very powerful, I've mine simply sitting on top of my devices and the IR signal bounces off the opposite wall and controls the devices just fine.

Also the hub comes with two IR blaster extenders on the end of a cable for more flexible placement.

Thanks for the info.

I might take the leap and get both the Alexa and the hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

giftgrub wrote: »
    Got a Dot for Christmas but have been up the walls so have only managed to start playing with it today.

First impressions

Easy set up, did it all via the iphone. I had downloaded the app with a UK username earlier this month.
    Good response, its in a dining area of a large living room and picks up voice no problems.
    Its wired to my amp and connects easily to a bluetooth speaker in the kitchen.
    Playing spotify is simple and quick. Dont have to say "...on spotify"I can specify songs, artists and playlists. Can it play specific albums though? I tried "play Oasis, Definitely Maybe"...no luck.
    I also listen to some podcasts on Spotify, they dont seem to work either
    Cant get RTE or Newstalk on tunein yet
    Weather and timers are really handy

So overall i'm really impressed....next buy are some smart plugs for a few lights and we'll see how it goes

If you say "play Definitely Maybe by Oasis" then it should work.

Any problems say "play the album Definitely Maybe by Oasis".

Anyone got any experience with echo and a Logitech harmony hub?

The Harmony Elite on it's own is one of the best things that you can buy IMHO & connecting the hub to Alexa is a must. I recommend getting the Elite remote control as well, though you don't need it.

It was very easy to connect to Alexa. I am able to say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on my TV" & it turns on my TV, Sky Box, exits the Sky Q menu & changes to Sky sports News.

I can say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on BBC" & it changes to BBC 1. You can create a list of favourites & assign them any names that you want in the Alexa app. I have used Irish for RTE as Alexa seems to struggle with that name.

I also have it set up for Netflix, which genuinely saves me a lot of hassle & button pressing with my smart TV app. I now just say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on Netflix". It shuts off my Sky box, launches the app & chooses who is watching.

"Alexa, Tell Harmony to turn off the TV" shuts down everything.

You can have it mute, lower or increase the volume, pause, play etc. Forward wind & rewind don't seem to work with Sky Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If you say "play Definitely Maybe by Oasis" then it should work.

Any problems say "play the album Definitely Maybe by Oasis".

Also, if it says "Could not find XXX by YYY in your music library" then add the "on Spotify" phrase.

e.g. play XXX by YYY on Spotify

incidentally YYY are a great band

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Logitech Harmony Companion & All New Echo Dot (2nd Generation) Smart Home Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSYQB6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qCczybV0E835Z

Just took the leap and ordered this! Will be my second harmony hub but discovered the link to change one4all vouchers to Amazon gift cards so with a few Christmas presents it "cost me" very little..... or at least that's the way I'll spin it to the boss.... for £10 etc the bundled dot was too hard to resist!

• Advertisement

Nelbert wrote: »
    discovered the link to change one4all vouchers to Amazon gift cards

2035483.jpg

https://www.one4all.ie/retailer/amazon-ie.html

Thank you kind sir ... as a reward try asking Alexa "Sing a Christmas carol"... surprisingly impressive voice :D

Logitech Harmony Companion & All New Echo Dot (2nd Generation) Smart Home Kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MSYQB6W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qCczybV0E835Z

Just took the leap and ordered this! Will be my second harmony hub but discovered the link to change one4all vouchers to Amazon gift cards so with a few Christmas presents it "cost me" very little..... or at least that's the way I'll spin it to the boss.... for £10 etc the bundled dot was too hard to resist!

I seen that..great deal but no delivery of echo to Ireland...I'm thinking of ordering the hub of amazon and going to Newry to pick up an echo dot

The Harmony Elite on it's own is one of the best things that you can buy IMHO & connecting the hub to Alexa is a must. I recommend getting the Elite remote control as well, though you don't need it.

It was very easy to connect to Alexa. I am able to say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on my TV" & it turns on my TV, Sky Box, exits the Sky Q menu & changes to Sky sports News.

I can say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on BBC" & it changes to BBC 1. You can create a list of favourites & assign them any names that you want in the Alexa app. I have used Irish for RTE as Alexa seems to struggle with that name.

I also have it set up for Netflix, which genuinely saves me a lot of hassle & button pressing with my smart TV app. I now just say "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on Netflix". It shuts off my Sky box, launches the app & chooses who is watching.

"Alexa, Tell Harmony to turn off the TV" shuts down everything.

You can have it mute, lower or increase the volume, pause, play etc. Forward wind & rewind don't seem to work with Sky Q.

I currently use a harmony 650 so I'm already using most of its functions I.e activities but the voice control combo of the hub and echo seem the way forward.

And most likely I'll still have the harmony remote close by. The acitvities also combined with my hue light setup within the harmony software is an appeal also.

I seen that..great deal but no delivery of echo to Ireland...I'm thinking of ordering the hub of amazon and going to Newry to pick up an echo dot

Parcel motel.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Guys am I better off getting the harmony hub and dot for £115 or the harmony companion and dot for £130?

Guys am I better off getting the harmony hub and dot for £115 or the harmony companion and dot for £130?

Companion. The hub alone means you'll end up having to use a phone or tablet or voice to control the hub and its activities.... the companion gives you a remote.... think of navigating through a menu or TV guide on your digibox.... do you really want to do that via voice? Or have to take out your phone to scroll through channels....

Well worth the extra £15 for the remote in my opinion.

It is worth having the remote & even better still to go for the Elite if you are in a position to do so. It has a little touch screen with an icon for each of your faves. Great for navigating around. Worth every penny just to get rid of my awful Sky Q remote!

The prices on all of them vary hugely though. It is worth tracking them or checking their price history on CamelCamel first to see if you are getting a good deal. Just paste the Amazon URL in there to see all the info.

Parcel motel.......

I've never used it. Seen plenty on the site who have but I've never needed to.

Maybe this is the right opportunity. Delivered to a Belfast parcel motel then transferred to a Dublin one , is that the process?

I've never used it. Seen plenty on the site who have but I've never needed to.

Maybe this is the right opportunity. Delivered to a Belfast parcel motel then transferred to a Dublin one , is that the process?

Parcel Wizard is better really. They deliver to your place of work or home, plus marginally cheaper.

Parcel Motel have had a lot of problems lately, although perhaps just during Xmas.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Parcel Wizard is better really. They deliver to your place of work or home, plus marginally cheaper.

Parcel Motel have had a lot of problems lately, although perhaps just during Xmas.

I've never used Parcel Wizard, but I have had 10 packages from Parcel Motel since the 21st (starting with my Echo & over the cliff into home automation ever since!) each one having been delivered to my parcel motel locker in Dublin the same day it arrived in Northern Ireland.

It is worth the €3.95 alone for the quickness of the delivery, or not to have to hang around at home all day (for An Post not to bother even ringing the bell), or not to be woken early in the morning etc.

Oh & you pay the cheaper UK VAT rate as well!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Fwiw newstalk is back working again.

You have to ask Alexa to "play newstalk FM on tunein"

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Donal112

Hi

Does anyone know if you can use the order by voice purchasing without a UK credit card? I'm trying to do the trial of Amazon Music Unlimited on my Echo (free trial for 30 days and then £3.99 / month - but to get this price you have to order it through Alexa). Alexa just keeps telling me there is a problem with my payment method and to update it, but doesn't tell me what the problem is :mad:

Amazon account is UK, have location set to UK and have tried with both Irish and UK address also.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Hi, just got an Echo for Christmas. Have got the app downloaded but I can't seem to get amazon music to play through it.
    Do I need to sign up for Amazon Music unlimited? I tried to download the Amazon music app but it says my account is missing some information and need to update my 1-click settings. Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Hi, just got an Echo for Christmas. Have got the app downloaded but I can't seem to get amazon music to play through it.
    Do I need to sign up for Amazon Music unlimited? I tried to download the Amazon music app but it says my account is missing some information and need to update my 1-click settings. Can anyone help?

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Fwiw newstalk is back working again.

You have to ask Alexa to "play newstalk FM on tunein"

Doesn't work for me it plays fm newstalk instead

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I can't get her to play Newstalk, it plays some American radio station. I created a TuneIn account on my computer but how can I link it to Alexa?

I think I read somewhere that if you set the station on the app and ask Alexa to resume tunein she plays the last selected station. Not sure if it'll work from a pc.

Try it and report back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Zascar wrote: »
    I can't get her to play Newstalk, it plays some American radio station. I created a TuneIn account on my computer but how can I link it to Alexa?

Make sure you say newstalk FM.
    If you try just newstalk it will play the young turks..Some us station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

NEDDURC wrote: »

You need to subscribe to it and you need to use a UK Credit/Debit card when you register

Better off just using Spotify IMHO

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Make sure you say newstalk FM.
    If you try just newstalk it will play the young turks..Some us station.

Still doesn't work.

Advertisement