Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 miranda247

I'm having a few problems with my Echo Dot. The first is the location. I finally managed to set it to O'Connell street, but now the weather gives me that random location in Japan, so I'm not sure what's happening there. When I ask Alexa what my location is, it tells me I'm in Dublin, so at least it partly knows...

The next problem is with Spotify. I had it working when we first set it up over at my father-in-laws place on Christmas day, but since taking it home and setting it up again (we had to redo the whole set-up process because obviously it was a new wifi network), the Spotify has stopped working. In the Alexa app, it's connected to my boyfriend's Spotify account (which is one of the 6 off-shoots of his dad's premium family account), but when you ask Alexa to play something on Spotify, she says 'Spotify is only currently available for the primary owner of the device,' and we're already on the primary owner's profile. I did try switching to the secondary profile, but obviously that didn't work either.

The last problem is with a Lifx bulb. Again, we had it working the first time we did it, but when we brought it all home and tried again we ran into problems. Right now the Lifx bulb is working fine within its app, and Alexa has even found the bulb and lists it, but it is always listed as offline, even though it's still working from the Lifx app, so I'm not sure how to kick start it back into being online.

I've been Googling all day, but still finding it difficult to solve any of these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Hi everyone and happy Christmas. I have been following this board for the last month or so.
    Having read this entire thread a number of times it made the setting up of my Echo fairly straight forward. Thanks to all the posters.
    I have rte and bbc set up for my flash briefing.
    Tunein radio sorted.
    Calender synced
    Big Sky for weather.
    Dublin for address????? (I know but finding Leitrim for many Irish is difficult. Alexa impossible.) Haha

Only the music to sort. I wonder if i join Spotify. Cheap deal at the moment. Will Echo be OK with an account from Ireland or will I have to set one up with a UK address or such

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Been trying to set up Rte flash briefing but can't do it.All I see is BBC,sky etc.I have location set to Dublin..

How can I set it up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

OldRio wrote: »
    Hi everyone and happy Christmas. I have been following this board for the last month or so.
    Having read this entire thread a number of times it made the setting up of my Echo fairly straight forward. Thanks to all the posters.
    Tunein radio sorted.
    Calender synced
    Big Sky for weather.
    Dublin for address????? (I know but finding Leitrim for many Irish is difficult. Alexa impossible.) Haha

Only the music to sort. I wonder if i join Spotify. Cheap deal at the moment. Will Echo be OK with an account from Ireland or will I have to set one up with a UK address or such

Kids love telling Alexa to turn on Xmas lights via tp-link plug. Me and 4friends got Spotify between us as a "family" works out €3 a month for prremium and each gets own spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Tunein radio sorted.
    Calender synced
    Big Sky for weather.

Spotify works great with it, I set mine up as an Irish account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Alexa has been entertaining everyone over Xmas. My brother even got quite miffed that I was "ordering her around" without saying please such is the anthropomorphic effect the Echo can have on some ppl ;)

When my brother requested a song and said it very politely Alexa even replied "what a nice way of asking, thank you". Grrr :P

We were chatting to her over dinner, asking her to sing Christmas carols, asking her names of songs "that go like...<insert lyrics>", telling jokes etc. The fifth member of the family... I feel guilty I didn't get her a present now

Been trying to set up Rte flash briefing but can't do it.All I see is BBC,sky etc.I have location set to Dublin..

How can I set it up?

Do a search for RTE in the briefing section. Worked for me.

campo wrote: »

Thanks. I will set that up ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Still can't see RTE, annoying.

Do a search for RTE in the briefing section. Worked for me.

Can't do search.Going into setting's and flash briefing and just see some options for telegraph, sky,BBC no rte ....

Am I looking in wrong place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Can't do search.Going into setting's and flash briefing and just see some options for telegraph, sky,BBC no rte ....

Am I looking in wrong place?

There is a link there saying "Get more flash briefing content"...... thatll do the trick for you, in the app that is

kennM wrote: »
    There is a link there saying "Get more flash briefing content"...... thatll do the trick for you, in the app that is

Not in android app I have?Just has flash briefing and underneath this shows ? Going into setting's then flash briefing.

No option to search?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Not in android app I have?Just has flash briefing and underneath this shows ? Going into setting's then flash briefing.

No option to search?

I presume you're logged into the Alexa app with your Amazon account.

You should be able to go into Settings -> Flash Briefing and there should there be an option at the top Get More Flash Briefing Content.

Beyond that perhaps its an older version of app? My version is 1.24.986. Hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

I have that version also but no option to get more flash briefings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Got a Dot for Christmas but have been up the walls so have only managed to start playing with it today.

First impressions

Easy set up, did it all via the iphone. I had downloaded the app with a UK username earlier this month.
    Good response, its in a dining area of a large living room and picks up voice no problems.
    Its wired to my amp and connects easily to a bluetooth speaker in the kitchen.
    Playing spotify is simple and quick. Dont have to say "...on spotify"I can specify songs, artists and playlists. Can it play specific albums though? I tried "play Oasis, Definitely Maybe"...no luck.
    I also listen to some podcasts on Spotify, they dont seem to work either
    Cant get RTE or Newstalk on tunein yet
    Weather and timers are really handy

So overall i'm really impressed....next buy are some smart plugs for a few lights and we'll see how it goes

I have that version also but no option to get more flash briefings.

Go to home page on app. Press the three horizontal lines top left. This opens a menu on left of screen. Press settings.

This opens a new page. Alexa Devices will have four options but go down the page to account and press flash briefing.

Another page will open showing what is on and what is off. The top of the screen should enable you to get more flash briefing content.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Anyone who is looking to get the "get more" option in flash briefings will have to switch their Amazon account to US and then log out of the app and log back in.

BobPresto wrote: »
    Anyone who is looking to get the "get more" option in flash briefings will have to switch their Amazon account to US and then log out of the app and log back in.

How can I do this as logged into Amazon account couldn't see it same for Alexa app

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

BobPresto wrote: »

Not any more I think I created one for RTÉ yesterday and published it and can see it under get more flash briefings. I habpve a U.K. Account

garbeth wrote: »
    Not any more I think I created one for RTÉ yesterday and published it and can see it under get more flash briefings. I habpve a U.K. Account

Have latest version of app 1.24.986.0 and UK account but no option for search on briefing under setting's ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Any got a link for the latest apk of the Alexa app?

campo wrote: »

Thanks. Led Zep blasting out of the echo via spotify as I write.

Next purchase will have to be plugs and something for the heating. More cash that I havent got. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Has anyone tried the food ordering skills in Ireland (Just Eat etc.), do they work?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I can't get Sky news for my flash briefing, does not come up at all. Does anyone know why?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

davo2001 wrote: »
    Any got a link for the latest apk of the Alexa app?

Looking for this too. I'm on 1.24.986.0 but the versions I'm seeing online are different, seem older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I've not sky skill set up and linked to the app and also my address in my big sky account but it keeps telling me that it's 40 degrees outside. Definitely isn't!!!

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Anyone got any experience with echo and a Logitech harmony hub?

Emmo-m- wrote: »

I'm expecting delivery of mine tomorrow so I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Emmo-m- wrote:

Have Echo dot running Sky, TV, music stereo with Amazon music and Spotify, all using the Harmony Hub. You can use Yonomi or the Harmony skill to get Echo to run them. Works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Have Echo dot running Sky, TV, music stereo with Amazon music and Spotify, all using the Harmony Hub. You can use Yonomi or the Harmony skill to get Echo to run them. Works great.

I'd say it's fairly easy to get Echo + Harmony Hub to control Kodi on a Fire TV.

I had to do a complicated workaround to get the Echo working with the Fire TV, and it works "most of the time", but this bridge might make it easier.

Advertisement