Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Heading to powercity. Anything worth buying for Alexa and dot? Budget ~100

TP link HS100 sockets. Woodie's might better priced though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Anyone using Dot as Alarm clock.Set it up no problem but cannot turn it off by voice activation, I end up pressing buttons.

Tried echo stop etc...but could be just my morning voice been incoherent..

I use it for an alarm clock, have had a few occasions where it doesn't switch off when i tell it to stop, but if i repeat the request it usually switches off the second time. I told it to stop the other morning after i had only had a couple of hours sleep and it told me there was no alarm set - turns out it was the alarm on my phone lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

TP link HS100 sockets. Woodie's might better priced though

Picked up 3 of the HS110s for less than €30 each in DID a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Graham wrote: »

That's good, I know they're between 25-30 in woodie's but its a mix of 100s and 110s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Graham wrote: »

That's good, I know they're between 25-30 in woodie's but its a mix of 100s and 110s
    Main difference between both?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Main difference between both?

110s have built in energy monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Getting one of these for Xmas , can it be trained to tell you next Dublin Bus at certain stops ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

londonred wrote: »
    Getting one of these for Xmas , can it be trained to tell you next Dublin Bus at certain stops ?

Even Dublin bus cant get that right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

chasm wrote: »
    I use it for an alarm clock, have had a few occasions where it doesn't switch off when i tell it to stop, but if i repeat the request it usually switches off the second time. I told it to stop the other morning after i had only had a couple of hours sleep and it told me there was no alarm set - turns out it was the alarm on my phone lol

Told it to stop,sleep, Shut up...then expletives and still goes on..have to press buttons on dot to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Told it to stop,sleep, Shut up...then expletives and still goes on..have to press buttons on dot to stop it

"Alexa stop" or "Alexa shut up" should do the trick...

Other than that threats! "Alexa I've my hand on the plug, if you don't"... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,655 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

kennM wrote: »
    "Alexa stop" or "Alexa shut up" should do the trick...

Other than that threats! "Alexa I've my hand on the plug, if you don't"... :)

"Alexa how do I start a Jihad" usually silences it for me (although my internet traffic goes crazy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

davo2001 wrote: »

Yeah I've done that... it kinda works and other times not.

I mainly use it to Pause/Play, but I was able to link it up to Quasar and play torrents on demand like "Alexa ask Kodi to play Walking Dead, Season 4, Episode 3"

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

davo2001 wrote: »

Halfway through this but had trouble with setting up AWS account

In summary, it's a lot of work... my advice is to wait until someone smooths out the process a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I believe a Plex skill is in the works. I dropped Kodi a long time ago as it was too much like hardwork... plex is a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ocelot741

hi just got a dot last night from the UK, have it set up fine etc.. I have Hive heating and i am trying to set that up and i looks like the "skill" is not available, it seems my dot is linked to the US where Hive is not supported. Has anyone run in to this?

I have changed all locations in the manage devices on the Amazon site to a UK one but still no luck..

When i try an login to the alexa.amazon.co.uk site it reverts to the .com one is anyone else seeing this. I also trued creating a new .co.uk site in case there is some setting in there i cant change and it still changes to the .com site when i login!

Any thought / ideas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ocelot741 wrote: »
    Any thought / ideas?

Contact Amazon support on chat and they can switch your account over to UK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My heads melted.
    I used to just say to alexa "Play newstalk on tune in" and it would play Newstalk on tune in.

Now I get "the young turks 24/7" even though in the app it hears the correct sentence.

Has anyone any idea whats up?Or can anyone help out with this weird one.
    Every other radio station works 100% except the one station that I want to listen to.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trevor1973

I'm set up as Alexa UK but is there a way to obtain this skill only available in the US
    Twitter Reader ? I go to the Alexa US but it doesn't log me in and the wheel keeps spinning

http://www.howtogeek.com/271862/how-to-use-twitter-on-the-amazon-echo/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

Hellrazer wrote: »
    My heads melted.
    I used to just say to alexa "Play newstalk on tune in" and it would play Newstalk on tune in.

Now I get "the young turks 24/7" even though in the app it hears the correct sentence.

Has anyone any idea whats up?Or can anyone help out with this weird one.
    Every other radio station works 100% except the one station that I want to listen to.

Thanks.

An awful lot of people seem to be having this problem. The only workaround (if you only listen to one radio station or select it using the app first) is to just ask Alexa "play tune-in", and she'll play the last station you used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Got an Echo Dot today from Amazon. I've set it up and partnered it with my Harmony hub but I'm having issues where on quite a few occasions it can't find the hub. I've read up online and it seems to be a recent issue. Anyone else have the same problem?

Apart from that I'm loving it. Hue bulbs are next on the shopping list.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Snifferson

Orion wrote: »
    Activate the Big Sky skill - you set your location on their website and then just say "Alexa Big Sky"

Worked great... Alexa ask Big Sky for the weather... nice and detailed too!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Will Spotify work with a free 7 day premium trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Silverfluffs

Will Spotify work with a free 7 day premium trial?

Yes, but there is or at least there was this week an offer of three months of Spotify for 99 cents a month for new Premium customers. I availed of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have an amazon fire tv. I've got spotify premium. Can I not link these? In my music and media settings I can set spotify to default but in "music & books" it says "app support unavailable"

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheRebelRam

Right, Christmas is yet again turning into a technology nightmare :(
    I have got amazon echo from uk, can't get app, any links I saw before won't work. Apple support is not working to remove my card when changing to UK address.
    Any step by step simple guide to help me get Alexa going???

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

Right, Christmas is yet again turning into a technology nightmare :(
    I have got amazon echo from uk, can't get app, any links I saw before won't work. Apple support is not working to remove my card when changing to UK address.
    Any step by step simple guide to help me get Alexa going???

Presume you're on iPhone? Android tablet to hand? Set mine up with Android no problem, tried to help a friend with setting up on iPhone and nearly went bald pulling my hail out

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheRebelRam

kennM wrote: »
    Presume you're on iPhone? Android tablet to hand? Set mine up with Android no problem, tried to help a friend with setting up on iPhone and nearly went bald pulling my hail out

Ya, on iphone and waiting on support over 30min now. Might try again with my daughters kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 shep1959

Got the Amazon echo and am having the Christmas morning techy blues.
    Have an Amazon uk account and have samsung 6 phone, but wont let me download app from play store. Logged onto my laptop to see if I can download to windows and then somehow get it over to my phone, but having trouble there also.
    Could anyone please save me reading hundreds of pages on this subject and give me the dummies guide to setting this up in Ireland?

Would make my christmas

Advertisement