Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

garbeth wrote: »
    Still doesn't work.

Worked for me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭crossvilla

I've been trying to set up my wife's dot to her iPhone. When I go to change region the billing option 'none' doesn't appear to allow me to get to get to next step and download app for set up. Anyone have a link to a YouTube video or guide to for this .. very frustrating, like receiving a toy without batteries!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

You need to create a new account and not change an existing one. There was a post on here around 10 pages back. The whole thread is worth the read.

Here is the post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102064023&postcount=277

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Is there a way of changing the host name from Uk to com so I can then check to see if I can get more flash briefings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Is there a way of changing the host name from Uk to com so I can then check to see if I can get more flash briefings?

Quickest way is online chat with Amazon support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

cheers change the account from .co.uk to .com via Amazon login. However have to deregister the item and register it again. This means setting up skills etc again. However hopefully I should have the option of getting more flash briefings

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

Hi guys,
    Is there a way to link the Echo to IMDB for ratings?
    I thought there was but when I try I get the "I don't know what you mean" response

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Anyone have echo hooked up to the hive?

"Turn on christmas lights" is great, out of the box etc.

Command for hive (using the smart home skill) is "Set my downstairs to 20 degrees" or "increase the downstairs" both work ok but we normally just boost. Also there doesn't seem to be a hot water "device"

Installed the other version of the skill and the following work "tell hive to boost my hot water" and "Tell hive to boost my heating." But the heating one does across all zones.

Any tips or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

cheers change the account from .co.uk to .com via Amazon login. However have to deregister the item and register it again. This means setting up skills etc again. However hopefully I should have the option of getting more flash briefings

Hey Irish Gunner.... i've just transitioned the other way. My account was US and moved to UK. Why? Great question... i had to say "on Spotify" for all music request despite Spotify being my default music source. You will get the option for more flash briefing content.... not great difference IMO. Prefer not saying On Spotify for everything for the cost of losing an RSS read RTE feed which wasnt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I have a US account and I don't have to specify "on spotify"

I ask for any music and it defaults to spotify, I ask for news and it gives me RTE.

So it is possible....I just don't know why it's different for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

For anyone having trouble with having to specify "on spotify" when requesting music try changing the language from English (US) to English (UK).
    Seems to have done the job for me

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

ceegee wrote: »
    For anyone having trouble with having to specify "on spotify" when requesting music try changing the language from English (US) to English (UK).

Thanks a million. The reverse just worked for me.

I switched to English (US) and now don't need to say "on spotify" any more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Just about to set this up... Is there different options when setting it up - I.e U.K. Versus US account? Does it make any difference? I've seen some places suggesting playing music stations is different...

Shane732 wrote: »
    Just about to set this up... Is there different options when setting it up - I.e U.K. Versus US account? Does it make any difference? I've seen some places suggesting playing music stations is different...

Going by my experience

(when my account was US based) I had to say On Spotify for all my music requests.

I could search for additional flash briefing content and order which was played first/second/third etc.... huge amount of local US based content I wasnt bothered with though. Interestingly this is how I could find RTE flash briefing, not great... just an RSS feed read by alexa.

When I switched to UK based.... no more On Spotify for all of my music requests :)..... i know others have fixed this in other ways? Cant comment here....

No RTE or search for flash briefing content... decent selection of pre-canned options though.

IMO UK based was better for me.... hope it helps. Theyre the only differences i've spotted

Spotify still offering 3 mts premium for €0.99 for anyone interested, couple of days left. New users only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Still playing with it...the kids have it down now as well

Got a pair of TP-Link Smart plugs in Power city yesterday, €25 each. (The HS100 model)

Testing one with a tall floor lamp in the living room...its great. "Alexa, switch on the floor lamp" and boom, on it comes. Very little lag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Just so I am clear - people are setting up itunes UK accounts - is that correct? How are you getting by the payment method? It doesn't give me an option to select no payment method. Can I just buy a £10 voucher?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I find it much easier just to set up on a browser instead of flapping about trying to download the app

http://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Just so I am clear - people are setting up itunes UK accounts - is that correct? How are you getting by the payment method? It doesn't give me an option to select no payment method. Can I just buy a £10 voucher?

Thanks.

Log out of your Irish account then search for Alexa app. When it shows up you should be in the UK store. Sign up as a new user)if you have a gmail account you can just add a . to any part of your email address) Use any random Uk address and as you are trying to download a free app there will be a choice to add no payment details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭Doodah7

For music trial payment, use a Revolut card. It's UK based so passes Amazon's checks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

ceegee wrote: »

I've just tried both and still not working for me. I changed to a UK address also, no difference. Still always saying it cannot find any music in my Library.

Any other options?

Zascar wrote: »
    I've just tried both and still not working for me. I changed to a UK address also, no difference. Still always saying it cannot find any music in my Library.

Any other options?

Get Amazon to move account from US to UK.... you can do it through website too I think. You'll need to setup smart home bits and pieces again.... quick enough. Should solve issue for you

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Spotify works for me by saying Alexa play [whatever].

@Zascar. Are you sure you have changed your language. Not your address but your language. I've found that for all skills to work you have to match your language to your country Settings

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi has anybody had any luck with location lately? I keep getting weather for Japan! I've tried lots of different Dublin addresses including many in O'Connell Street as suggested earlier but no luck so far!

Any help appreciated.

breeno wrote: »
    Hi has anybody had any luck with location lately? I keep getting weather for Japan! I've tried lots of different Dublin addresses including many in O'Connell Street as suggested earlier but no luck so far!

Any help appreciated.

Nope... same findings. Can get address in but weather for Japan... i'd say we'll just need to wait till its officially released in Ireland. Does anyone have a release date for Ireland?

kennM wrote: »
    Nope... same findings. Can get address in but weather for Japan... i'd say we'll just need to wait till its officially released in Ireland. Does anyone have a release date for Ireland?

Market demographics are incompatible for Amazon's business model so it's unlikely we will see official support here.

degsie wrote: »
    Market demographics are incompatible for Amazon's business model so it's unlikely we will see official support here.

Sounds like a question we can throw to Amazon so :) agree with the business and markets but stranger things have happened

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

@Zascar. Are you sure you have changed your language. Not your address but your language. I've found that for all skills to work you have to match your language to your country Settings

Yep. I sent an email to Amazon, I got a reply very quickly - I think its automated but its very convincing. They say to reset it, but I don't really want to as it will take ages to set everything up again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Despite the fact that it works with Irish locations the detail in the big sky forecasting is so much better than the inbuilt forecasting it's worth using even if they sorted out Irish support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

Changing language from U.K. To US worked for me. I no longer need to mention spotify. See my settings attached.

Advertisement