Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road issues that irritate me.......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

micar wrote: »
    A new fad I've seen is that when at a red light and there is a car on the opposite side of the junction wanting to turn right, just before the light turns green will creep forward and as soon as the light goes green will take their right turn before the car coming from the opposite direction has a chance to move off.

This only happens at certain junctions where there is enough of a space between them.

Often see it at the crossroads in the middle of ballymun.

Also have begun to see with cars turning right from Collins ave to shanowen ave

Still horrifically dangerous though.

Some people just don't have any patience.

Have noticed that recently too. Griffith Avenue ont Grace Park Road is another spot I'm seeing it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Sam Kade wrote: »
    In fairness a yaris is dead slow to take off and pick up speed even if you put the boot to the floor.

I had a similar car to a Yaris (same three cylinder engine) and it wasn't slow taking off. Also, the engine never sounded or felt like it was under strain at 120 or 130.

My current pet hate is when I decide to overtake on a dual carriageway and the car behind decides to do the same, at the exact same time, except much faster and without indicating. And then they flash their lights at me, as if I've done something wrong. It's almost always an Audi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

RayM wrote: »
    It's almost always an Audi.

But, but, but they're in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

people overtaking on a dual carriageway (specifically the n11) who indicate the same nanosecond they pull out.

it's the arrogance of it more than the dangerousness...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Glenster wrote: »
    people overtaking on a dual carriageway (specifically the n11) who indicate the same nanosecond they pull out.

it's the arrogance of it more than the dangerousness...

The auld maneuver 1st then indicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

The auld maneuver 1st then indicate.

That's bad. but it's specifically the ones who do it at the exact same time.

there's just something about it that rankles.

-a second later, you might have forgotten

-not at all, your just an ignoramus

-at the same time, it's like you're saying "this is the requirement, I'm turning and indicating, what's your problem?"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sam Kade wrote: »
    In fairness a yaris is dead slow to take off and pick up speed even if you put the boot to the floor.

Well if that really was the case, firstly, you would think they would have a better chance of taking off with the rolling. Secondly, if the acceleration was so ****e, why would they try and overtake someone on a hill, who had already raced away from them at the last three set of lights.

Think I will go with Pablos lump of meat observation.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

A new fad I've seen is that when at a red light and there is a car on the opposite side of the junction wanting to turn right, just before the light turns green will creep forward and as soon as the light goes green will take their right turn before the car coming from the opposite direction has a chance to move off.

At rare junctions where the oncoming car is far it can make sense. I've been hooted at for not doing that and holding up traffic behind me, but that's roads in cork built in medieval times. But you're quite right it would be very dangerous to just attempt to jump across at a junction that wasn't suited to it.
    Glenster wrote: »
    That's bad. but it's specifically the ones who do it at the exact same time.

there's just something about it that rankles.

-a second later, you might have forgotten

-not at all, your just an ignoramus

-at the same time, it's like you're saying "this is the requirement, I'm turning and indicating, what's your problem?"

At least though with "not at all" there's some argument to it. "There's nothing anywhere near me, I'll change lanes", it makes sense. Bad but the same time ones are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Cyclists lost in space on this stretch of road around the airport with no shoulder and an 80km/h speed limit. Current road works make it extra infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

People watch the other lights at the junction. If you know the sequence you know that when the pedestrian lights go off on the side road you're lights will go green next.

I see people getting it wrong all the time and starting to move off when it's not their turn and ending up half way into the junction before they realise there's cars coming across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ScumLord wrote: »
    People watch the other lights at the junction. If you know the sequence you know that when the pedestrian lights go off on the side road you're lights will go green next.

I see people getting it wrong all the time and starting to move off when it's not their turn and ending up half way into the junction before they realise there's cars coming across them.

I never understand why they don't show timers on the lights (or do like the english and go orange/flash orange before it goes green). Driving is all about having complete information of the road and it's surroundings and traffic lights only show the most basic bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

yannakis wrote: »
    Cyclists lost in space on this stretch of road around the airport with no shoulder and an 80km/h speed limit. Current road works make it extra infuriating.
    I suppose it makes up for all the time that cyclists spend stuck behind cars in busy traffic. You know the cars won't move over, and sometimes they drive two or three abreast just to annoy us.
    1601-joker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sbkenn

People who call it "the fast lane".
    It is an overtaking lane.

People who drive with their foglights on.
    People who don't check that all their lights work. Just occasionally, a single light coming towards me is a motorbike !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Prime Irish Beef

As a cyclist:
    Cars parked in cycle lanes and cars taking over the cycle lanes meaning you can't get past.

Drivers being overly aggressive. 'Omg! Look! It's a cyclist, sent from the depths of hell itself'

Pedestrians not paying attention and walking out in front you.

As a driver:
    Cyclists breaking red lights and taking over half the road so you can't get by. If there's no cycle lanes, please keep into the left so I can overtake safely.

People who "think" the overtaking lane is the fast lane and just sit it in, holding up everyone.

When you're on the motorway and one lorry tries to overtake another. If you ever witnessed this, it's like two fat kids having a race. It takes the overtaking lorry all day to overtake the other lorry. If lorries could sweat, it would be sweating from pure exertion.

People who don't indicate.

As a pedestrian:
    Drivers who don't stop at pedestrian crossing or for the lights at pedestrian crossings. It drives me nuts.

Cyclists who break red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭blade1

As a cyclist:
    Cars parked in cycle lanes and cars taking over the cycle lanes meaning you can't get past.

Drivers being overly aggressive. 'Omg! Look! It's a cyclist, sent from the depths of hell itself'

Pedestrians not paying attention and walking out in front you.

As a driver:
    Cyclists breaking red lights and taking over half the road so you can't get by. If there's no cycle lanes, please keep into the left so I can overtake safely.

People who "think" the overtaking lane is the fast lane and just sit it in, holding up everyone.

When you're on the motorway and one lorry tries to overtake another. If you ever witnessed this, it's like two fat kids having a race. It takes the overtaking lorry all day to overtake the other lorry. If lorries could sweat, it would be sweating from pure exertion.

People who don't indicate.

As a pedestrian:
    Drivers who don't stop at pedestrian crossing or for the lights at pedestrian crossings. It drives me nuts.

Cyclists who break red lights.
    Just on about lorries overtaking each other.... Have a look at these two coming against me one day..
    Skip to around 40 seconds,

https://youtu.be/3u-5WCBT-xs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

Seems people can't drive through a roundabout or even drive on a bend in some places with veering over and crossing into your lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭pangbang

speed limit increases at stupid locations.

"you can now increase your speed to 100kph....except for that roundabout 20 metres round the bend!"

And the neverending car-up-your-hole driver that insists on driving at every and any speed, as long as its 2 metres behind your bumper. AND they wont overtake. So tempting to jam on the breaks! Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

pangbang wrote: »
    speed limit increases at stupid locations.

"you can now increase your speed to 100kph....except for that roundabout 20 metres round the bend!"

And the neverending car-up-your-hole driver that insists on driving at every and any speed, as long as its 2 metres behind your bumper. AND they wont overtake. So tempting to jam on the breaks! Idiots.

I'm going to put my hazard lights on for the next person to tailgate me, just to see what happens. Someone actually mentioned doing it on this thread, and I think its a good idea.

• Advertisement

I suppose it makes up for all the time that cyclists spend stuck behind cars in busy traffic. You know the cars won't move over, and sometimes they drive two or three abreast just to annoy us.

Oh here, I spotted the sensitive cyclist :pac: :rolleyes:

Bicycles stuck behind stopped cars in busy traffic are not even remotely as life-threatening as bicycles doing zigzags at 15km/h on a road that cars do 80km/h.. In my village we call that suicide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Other People on the roads.......

These roads were built and maintained for me . Why do other people get to use them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Drivers who creep over the stop lines at red lights.

Usually these drivers ignore the 1st stop line, they then ignore the 2nd stop line & the red coloured bike box, they then tend to creep over the final line . . . what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Oh here, I spotted the sensitive cyclist :pac: :rolleyes:

Bicycles stuck behind stopped cars in busy traffic are not even remotely as life-threatening as bicycles doing zigzags at 15km/h on a road that cars do 80km/h.. In my village we call that suicide.

I believe in that instance you'll find it's probably not the 10kg bicycle that's the life threatening issue but the driver who's not competent enough to drive safely around other road users. That's probably my biggest road issue that irritates me, the irrational dislike people have for cyclists.

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    I believe in that instance you'll find it's probably not the 10kg bicycle that's the life threatening issue but the driver who's not competent enough to drive safely around other road users.

We're not talking about the same thing.. I'm talking about cyclists not competent to cycle around other road users, and you're replying with a rant about drivers not competent to drive around other road users.

Competent drivers, accept the fact that incompetent drivers exist. As a competent cyclist, you probably have to accept that incompetent cyclists do exist. You're not all the same, so stop getting so offended! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I regularly travel from somewhere north on the M50 to Bray and points south. The speed limit on the m50 south of jct 14 is 120 kph until somewhere well south of Bray where the motorway becomes a National route (Green signs). Not many people know this as the amount of people sitting in the outer lane doing 100kph holding everybody up is unreal. While MOST of the M50 is 100kph that section south of jct 14 and North of Bray is 120kph, just not well advertised in comparison to the forest of 100kph signs on the rest of the accursed M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

We're not talking about the same thing.. I'm talking about cyclists not competent to cycle around other road users, and you're replying with a rant about drivers not competent to drive around other road users.

Competent drivers, accept the fact that incompetent drivers exist. As a competent cyclist, you probably have to accept that incompetent cyclists do exist. You're not all the same, so stop getting so offended! :pac:

Ah well there's the confusion, I thought you were having a pop at all cyclists who'd have the cheek to cycle through your village. I certainly wouldn't be excusing an awful lot of some cyclist behaviour. Just don't like when all are tarred with the same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Funny how you didn't mention zig-zags first time round - just cyclists who had the temerity to cycle on a specific road, as if you owned the road or it was built specially for you or something. It's not your private road, so get over it.

Advertisement