Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road issues that irritate me.......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you ever wonder why some cyclists are too scared to ride on the road?

For the record, she was found to be 40% liable for the collision. The guy who knocked her down without checking for anyone cycling or walking (or maybe a child on a bike or running ahead of a parent) was held to be 60% liable.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It must be terrible for those that aren't able to make up hate speech fairy stories unchallenged. Imagine having to deal with some real facts - tough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It just all comes down to cyclists believing they are never in the wrong in any situation. And absolutely anything can be justified with 'but what about cars..., etc'.
    Who suggested that cyclists believe they are never in the wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

When someone is driving well below the speed limit on a main road where there is little opportunity to safely overtake due to bends, and won't move over to let anyone pass. I encounter this regularly on the main road into town. Peculiarly then the van driver responsible on the last occasion decides he can actually drive somewhere near 80k/hr once gone through the roundabout onto the 60k/hr stretch of road. Drives me nuts :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We have a Whatsapp group

Me. Based on all the evidence you see on these boards.

Evidence? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

When someone is reversing in or out of somewhere and the car behind them won't give them space to make the maneuver.it usually just slows down the person reversing making them do 3 point turns instead of 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I know it's probably been said already but..... Full headlights.... A**holes that don't turn them off. You flash them and they keep them on. I am noticing more and more people with a blown headlight and so use their fulls to see better, whilst blinding everyone else on the road.

Saw one yesterday with the right headlight and the left foglight blown :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

73Cat wrote: »
    When someone is driving well below the speed limit on a main road where there is little opportunity to safely overtake due to bends, and won't move over to let anyone pass. I encounter this regularly on the main road into town. Peculiarly then the van driver responsible on the last occasion decides he can actually drive somewhere near 80k/hr once gone through the roundabout onto the 60k/hr stretch of road. Drives me nuts :(

Seen a very dangerous version of this recently. On a 80k road, driver was doing 15. Huge backlog of traffic and cars ahead attempting to overtake on this road. People got frustrated, being horns, the driver got out and proceeded to shake his fist at drivers behind him before driving in into an nursing home. He would come to a full stop when a car passed him on the other side of the road.

Can I put that one to bed right now?

For the record, I believe many cyclists are wrong in many situations. Many cyclists make dumb mistakes, many cyclists are careless, some cyclists are aggressive, and I fit into all three of those categories from time to time.

What cyclists don't do is kill people on the roads - that's the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

For the record, I believe many cyclists are wrong in many situations. Many cyclists make dumb mistakes, many cyclists are careless, some cyclists are aggressive, and I fit into all three of those categories from time to time.

Well the thread is not 'Road issues that kill people'. It's about irritating people, and like it or not, some people are irritated by cyclists. You car argue till you're blue in the face but really there's nothing you can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well the thread is not 'Road issues that kill people'. It's about irritating people, and like it or not, some people are irritated by cyclists. You car argue till you're blue in the face but really there's nothing you can do about it.

You are correct about this thread of course but the problem is and the reason why cyclists engage with "all cyclists are vermin" type posts is because they encourage some motorists to do things that put the cyclists life in danger.

Correct - if people what to choose to be irritated by cyclists, they will continue to do so, and they don't need my permission to do that.

What I can do is make sure that they don't make this choice in ignorance. The facts of the real dangers on the road will stand, and they will choose their source of irritation as being the one group that is reducing traffic chaos on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not true cyclists have killed people but other side to that is pedestrians have killed cyclists.

But you can't say they don't.
    More cars do obviously due to being so many.

Not true cyclists have killed people but other side to that is pedestrians have killed cyclists.
    It's amazing the lengths that people will go to in order to justify a prejudice. It is correct to say that 'cyclists have killed people' but just for context, the last time this happened in Ireland was around 2002. Meanwhile, just for context, motorists have killed and maimed thousands of people since then.
    More cars do obviously due to being so many.
    The cause isn't so much down to the numbers of cars. It is more to do with the speed of the cars, the weight of the cars and the generally crap standard of criving - heads stuck in phones, speeding, drinking and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Unfollowed due to aul wans and handbags....

I reverse into my drive way as it faces on to a busy road so I indicate we'll in advance and pull in just past the entrance to reverse in.

The amount of times people drive right my arse and sit there waiting for me to move forward is ridiculous.

Now I can't reverse into the driveway and they won't cross the broken white line to go round me. Eejits.

Ive had to get out of the car and tell them to go round a few times. They usually say "oh I thought you were turning left".

There's no left turn

The cause isn't so much down to the numbers of cars. It is more to do with the speed of the cars, the weight of the cars and the generally crap standard of criving - heads stuck in phones, speeding, drinking and more.

If only we had cycle paths and lanes to help cyclists be safer........

( cue the 'oh but we're not obliged to use them' merchants in 3...2...1...)

• Advertisement

Cyclist died last year after being knocked off his bike while cycling in a cycling lane.

So cycle lanes on their own aren't the answer.

I think the main reason that they tend not to be used is because they are usually quite badly designed and not maintained and with the occasional pedestrian, animal or vehicle on them making them more dangerous - not because cyclists prefer being on the road.

Another thing. You have cyclists here banging on about most cyclists being motorists too, and in the next breath telling us that the big bad drunken driving, texting, bad driving motorists are all to blame.

I've seen some self righteous stuff in my time but certain posters here take the biscuit.

Another thing. You have cyclists here banging on about most cyclists being motorists too, and in the next breath telling us that the big bad drunken driving, texting, bad driving motorists are all to blame.

I've seen some self righteous stuff in my time but certain posters here take the biscuit.

No doubt you can provide examples of posters saying the big bad drunken driving, texting, bad driving motorists are all to blame?

Because what I've seen is posters pointing out that motorists kill/maim/injure more people than cyclists yet their bad behaviour is often overlooked.

While cyclists who cause on average 0 road deaths a year are vilified for breaking the same rules that many motorists do.

amcalester wrote: »
    No doubt you can provide examples of posters saying the big bad drunken driving, texting, bad driving motorists are all to blame?

Because what I've seen is posters pointing out that motorists kill/maim/injure more people than cyclists yet their bad behaviour is often overlooked.

While cyclists who cause on average 0 road deaths a year are vilified for breaking the same rules that many motorists do.
    Post #1398. Just a few posts up.

Again you are making a distinction between cyclists and motorists. Other posters will tell you they are one and the same. Make yisser minds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

When you're trying to get out into the main road, and lines of car are moving slowly by, and it's the rare person that flashes for you to pull out. A little bit of give would help ease traffic flow.
    I specifically think of the turn off to or from Kinvarra at Kilcolgan Co Galway, but it's a problem all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Correct - if people what to choose to be irritated by cyclists, they will continue to do so, and they don't need my permission to do that.

What I can do is make sure that they don't make this choice in ignorance. The facts of the real dangers on the road will stand, and they will choose their source of irritation as being the one group that is reducing traffic chaos on the roads.

Being irritated is a feeling, not a choice ...........

Post #1398. Just a few posts up.

Again you are making a distinction between cyclists and motorists. Other posters will tell you they are one and the same. Make yisser minds up.

I really don't know what point you're trying to make. You seem surprised that different people may have different opinions?

Do you think all cyclists have a hive mind connected by their helmets or something?

• Advertisement

Some of the roads I drive are in bad nick and designed badly. But I still drive in them rather than mounting the path because it'd be handier.

Poor analogy. Driving on the footpath is illegal, cycling on the road is not.

Advertisement