Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

We have been told to stand back and not to get involved, as other students will break it up

If that was my school twould have ended in a mass brawl involving hurley :eek:

Are children today that quite really??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seimispook

Tracksuit bottoms tucked into socks, gaudy gold jewellery, short back and sides haircut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Grand parents in their 30s.
    Skanger cars like 05 Nissan Almeras or Honda civics parked up
    No trees
    Local pub has no windows and is usually painted black / grey and is part of a shop complex that consists of a spar with a disproportionate off licence section selling predominantly cans, dominos pizza and paddy powers
    AAA / no water meter posters
    The estate is a "gardens" or named after a republican
    Abandoned furniture, cars and completely random things
    Every house has a satellite dish
    A Lidl / Aldi near by or dealz is the main shop on the high street
    Pie balled ponies grazing
    Ad hoc shops, usually in an old garage, selling huge quantities of toilet paper or washing powder
    Women are in fake juicy couture tracksuit, men are in matching track suits
    Everyone wears unfeasibly white runners
    A panel beating / car repair garage, usually it modifies cars as well.

That is kind of insulting to be fair.

Grand parents in their 30s. (Dont be Judging people what can you do ).

Skanger cars like 05 Nissan Almeras or Honda civics parked up. (To me a car is a car does not have to be BMW as long as it gets you from A to B)

No trees (Plenty of areas dont have them where i am from back home would be considered a very posh area and it has one Tree in the place).

Local pub has no windows and is usually painted black / grey and is part of a shop complex that consists of a spar with a disproportionate off licence section selling predominantly cans, dominos pizza and paddy powers. (Handy to have the pub where i live now 10 mins up the road has all this and to be fair i can get a pizza, Some nice craft beer in the off licence, Then pick up a few things is the shop how bad)

AAA / no water meter posters. (People Standing up to what they believe in fair play to them)

The estate is a "gardens" or named after a republican. (Thats quite a insult now to a lot of people just to do with the area there from)

Abandoned furniture, cars and completely random things. (Thats everywhere in Ireland)

Every house has a satellite dish. (Thats normal in my posh area back home every house has one as well. My mother and fathers has 2 one for Sky and one for my dads Italian TV)

A Lidl / Aldi near by or dealz is the main shop on the high street. (Be handy if i lived by a Dealz i have a LIDL and is very handy to have as the food i hope you know the meet is some of the best you can buy in the country and it comes from the same place as your posh meet)

Pie balled ponies grazing.
    Ad hoc shops, usually in an old garage, selling huge quantities of toilet paper or washing powder. (Handy to have as we do need both in our lives).

A panel beating / car repair garage, usually it modifies cars as well. (Handy to have as well in your area as cars do need to be fixed after all not everywhere will pay the 150 euro a hour main dealer charge)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Rickets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

8 years old on quads and scramblers flying around housing estates and fields. If they are too small their 'da' is usually on the back showing them how to pull a wheely while going through a red light at a busy traffic junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

They text each other when the TV licence man is around.

if its proper rough, the TV licence man just doesn't bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

Blokes in deep voices growling as you pass by, "Wozzz dee storeh, buhhhhhhhddd?"
    Boys with dyed blonde hair and ear studs taken out and resting on their school uniform lapels.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

In all my years working with equines, and no matter how many rough places I've been, I've never once seen a pony with pies for balls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A 'Working Class' area where no-one living there actually works.

Cash for gold outlets.

More bookies than regular shops.

Everyone wearing leisure wear, but they're not going to the gym or football training.

Fourteen year old mothers. A girl I went to school was fourteen when she had her first child, I presumed she was going to go to jail after my mum warning me of "having sex when you're too young means you go to prison!" :grin
    The girl's mother had five children from five different fathers.

The takeaway has a different name every few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

degsie wrote: »
    The name: Bally(anything)

Like Ballyroan or Ballyboden in South Dublin?

Like Ballyroan or Ballyboden in South Dublin?
    or my parish - Ballywaltrim in Bray.

Another sign is young people with unruly dyed hair and no teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Losing your dentures at a foam party.
    Getting upset that "de social" won't pay for your passport when you're off on your holliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Getting pregnant when you've nowhere to live and expecting the social and the community welfare officer to buy your cot your travel system and your maternity bag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Ice-cream vans that don't sell ice-cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No idea why a community centre is a sign of a rough area?!

They are often placed in areas as recreational places for youths so they have less time on their hands to cause trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

A police car and a screaming siren
    A pneumatic drill and ripped up concrete
    A baby wailing and stray dog howling
    The screech of brakes and lamp light blinking

A smash of glass and a rumble of boots
    An electric train and a ripped up 'phone booth
    Paint splattered walls and the cry of a tomcat
    Lights going out and a kick in the balls

Days of speed and slow time Mondays
    Pissing down with rain on a boring Wednesday
    Watching the news and not eating your tea
    A freezing cold flat and damp on the walls

Waking up at 6 a.m. on a cool warm morning
    Opening the windows and breathing in petrol
    An amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard
    Watching the telly and thinking about your holidays

Waking up from bad dreams and smoking cigarettes
    Cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume
    A hot summer's day and sticky black tarmac
    Feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away

Two lovers kissing amongst the scream of midnight
    Two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude
    Getting a cab and travelling on buses
    Reading the graffiti about slashed seat affairs

I think it was aimed towards the entertainment industry rather than a rant about social deprivation. Great song though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Tacky looking solicitors that advertises "no win, no fee".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Chipper that opens at 9am. Who in their right mind eats chipper at 9am?? Dog cr@p all over the place. Plastic bags full of rubbish strewn about the place.

The local chipper here serves breakfast. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

wakka12 wrote: »
    They are often placed in areas as recreational places for youths so they have less time on their hands to cause trouble

.... and then go on to become blackspots for the aforementioned trouble because a few pool tables won't prevent scobes from scobing.

• Advertisement

I heard that it's a 'sign post' of sorts. So that buyers of certain commodities can easily locate the purveyors of said commodities.

So how does this work? Do you go and stand under the shoes until a drugs person comes? :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Tucking your tracksuit into your socks and walking with a pimp cane.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w287/ericblsf/pimpcanesmedium.jpg

Dat's Limerick Cit-AAAHH! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

degsie wrote: »
    Ice-cream vans that don't sell ice-cream.

Ha ha ha. Brings back memories from WIT. Middle of winter, pissing rain outside and we hear the ice cream tune trailing off into Ballybeg....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post

Tucking your tracksuit into your socks and walking with a pimp cane.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w...anesmedium.jpg

Dat's Limerick Cit-AAAHH!

Walking with the pimp cane is for protection against attacks from rival gangs, You cant be charged with having a walking stick, even though some of them are lethal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Did you live in templars?
    Heard those runners went up on wires when someone young (drugs) died

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Wheels being stolen from moving cars.

...Walking with the pimp cane is for protection against attacks from rival gangs, You cant be charged with having a walking stick, even though some of them are lethal.

Ah, the noble art of Canne d'Arme. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Did you live in templars?
    Heard those runners went up on wires when someone young (drugs) died

No. We used to be able to hear it from the ENG block depending if it was busy or walking to college. I do remember a story of some dieing at a house party after eating a coke sandwich (I grad in 2012 for timeline). I can't shift the image of a group of lads off their tits and deciding that the only way to elevate the session was a coke sandwich. It makes me laugh. I'm a terrible person.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

jimgoose wrote: »
    So how does this work? Do you go and stand under the shoes until a drugs person comes? :pac:

Narc!

• Advertisement

Narc!

No, just rather more innocent than I had hitherto supposed! :D

Advertisement