Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure-Fire Signs That an area is Rough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Saipanne wrote: »
    I once saw graffiti in a scummy area that read:

"RIP BOB MARLEY 1974 - 1986"

He was around 12 when he died, apparently.

Oh, and they LOVE UB40.

Redemption song played at funerals

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

When people just throw bags of rubbish out the 7th storey window.

When there's a library but no one uses it (or it's only used by immigrants).

The attendance rate at the local secondary is like 10%.

When no one owns the bikes they are riding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

fizzypish wrote: »
    Ha ha ha. Brings back memories from WIT. Middle of winter, pissing rain outside and we hear the ice cream tune trailing off into Ballybeg....

Is that what they were at? Shows how gormless I was!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

jca wrote: »
    Is that what they were at? Shows how gormless I was!!

What were they at? Do people mean to say that these ice-cream vans going around in Winter with jingles running are actually selling recreational pharmaceuticals??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

-Manky colored houses with pealing paint or worse that awuful 70's beauty brick stuff (Shudders)
    -Overgrown front Gardens
    -Any household appliance or furnishings in the front garden
    -A Broken down car in the front garden
    -AAA meeting posters or stop the water tax signs / no meters here on lampposts or in windows
    -Net curtains (Again Shudders)
    -Cheap tracksuits on show
    -Pregnant women / mothers with babies, smoking
    -Drunks
    -Dog Sh!t and dangerous dogs everywhere
    -Scramblers , i fking hate scramblers with a pashion
    -Bangers in every drive way

All sure signs an area is best avoided or if you have to drive through it lock the doors and hope you dont hit a red lighthahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

-Pregnant women / mothers with babies smoking

Babies smoking, now that's proper rough....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Ferrari3600 wins this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Can we not rename this thread.

The fantasy rough guide to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No Barista style coffee - "Arabic - wha de **** is that" .
    Plenty of fast food - a real chipper - Mcdonald's
    Christmas lights that could land a 747
    Lads with hoodies - I'd ban these things.
    An off licence - little or no "craft ****e".
    General rubbish around the place and kids just throw stuff on ground
    Out of control dogs and dog **** everywhere
    A very busy bus with some headcase causing mayhem who didn't have to or just didn't pay
    Water protest crowd
    Damaged playgrounds and damaged play areas - particularly sad this one.
    Kids seriously young - I mean under 6, out without parents.
    Kids who will put it up to an adult under any circumstances
    A massive fire at halloween.
    A fairly rough pub - with people outside before opening
    No Garda presence
    A stolen car
    Has been a murder in area
    A bookies

And for all that

Some great community spirit
    Real neighbours
    Great community leaders
    Amazing devoted teachers to take it on
    An honesty in conversation
    A resilience and determination
    An incredible sense of humor and loyalty
    Incredibly talented kids in sport
    Fantastic sense of charity for the right cause

The real killer is ambition - there is little or no ambition , and that is a cycle very very hard to break. I wouldn't like or take a chance with my own kids in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

The funny thing in Dublin in particular is that middle class uppity types are moving into these rough areas because of house prices.It makes for great comedy when these stuck up types end up buying in an area that would have previously made their skin crawl!:-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Johngoose wrote: »
    The funny thing in Dublin in particular is that middle class uppity types are moving into these rough areas because of house prices.It makes for great comedy when these stuck up types end up buying in an area that would have previously made their skin crawl!:-)

Gentrification soon pushes the scummies to even worse areas.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

But could you argue that is what an area like that needs ?

Like look at east wall road and IFSC - 20 years ago you wouldn't walk there at night,

Now bizarre to see it as a commercial centre and all the other middle class needs.

I don't know the answer to this - but maybe this is what these areas need - a general upward mobile trend.

These "uppity" types may place, a higher demand to the system (political/Law/social) on what is unacceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

20-20 vision just a pair of empty frames
    Dressing like a nerd although i never got the grades
    I remember when the kids at school would call me names
    Now we're taking over their estates
    woah ho

20-20 vision just a pair of empty frames
    Dressing like a nerd although i never got the grades
    I remember when the kids at school would call me names
    Now we're taking over their estates
    woah ho

All my friends are d*ckheads too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

DIY tattoos...

Nah, they're getting mad trendy with middle/upper class women 16 - 30. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

flags hanging out of street lights
    bonfires with the remains of unburnable stuff
    horses
    when theres more people queing outside the post office to collect money rather then sending letters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyTClarke

An old 'City Imp' style minibus which has been converted into a 'barber shop' doing the rounds in the estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

When you see houses with shiny bricks on the exterior that look like they've been varnished or something.

When the road names evoke a wildly different image than what you can see, e.g Buttercup Avenue, Snowdrop Walk, Tranquility Grove, Seaview Avenue etc etc

When you see ice cream vans doing the rounds at 6pm on the 22nd of December in the pishings of rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

jiltloop wrote: »
    When you see houses with shiny bricks on the exterior that look like they've been varnished or something.

When the road names evoke a wildly different image than what you can see, e.g Buttercup Avenue, Snowdrop Walk, Tranquility Grove, Seaview Avenue etc etc

When you see ice cream vans doing the rounds at 6pm on the 22nd of December in the pishings of rain.

or Ballyfermot pleasant :pac::P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Just because somebody works and pays for their house, according to you, they're an middle class uppidy type. A1 Fúcking Idiot Award to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

jiltloop wrote: »

.....when roads and estates are named after patriots, and/or priests (or clergy of other ranks) you've never heard of and/or other people you've never heard of.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

All cars belonging to anyone under 40 have ridiculously blue headlight bulbs from eBay or whatever. "It's indervidual"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

its exactly what thees areas need an influx of money and people who improve the property's , and the overall look and feel of the area , see it all over areas like Phibsborogh , Cabra , Glasnevin , Stoneybatter, Whitehall parts of Finglas ... there start to look like respectable areas in time house prices will force the gentrification of most of the suburbs close to the city center and that can only be a good thing.

The less working class and unemployed in an area the better and more desirable it becomes and the social problems and so on reduce. These concentrated areas with poverty and social problems that came out of government housing schemes from the 30's -70's need to be broken. No need to evict people , the market is simply pricing them out.

An almost eerie uniformity of fashion, taste, manners and beliefs. Individuality is viciously suppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Unemployable people who grew up in a situation where they aren't afforded the possibility of advancing in education, and adapting to middle-class conventions of behaviour.

LOL at the poor!! #tensignsyouresociallydeprivedandknobsonlinelaughatyoutomakethemfeelbetteraboutthemselvesfromajoeiehackwhostoletheideafromacommentonthejournal.ie

There are two types of poor:

Those who are trying to better themselves.

Those who feel others owe them and do nothing to better themselves regardless of opportunities presented to them.

Laugh away for the latter. May as well get something out of them.

And while we are having a sneer - is going to school, earning a living, and avoiding criminal behaviour a middle-class convention now?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

An almost eerie uniformity of fashion, taste, manners and beliefs. Individuality is viciously suppressed.

At the risk of being flamed for this petty little bug bear of mine, I've noticed on gogglebox Ireland that all the Dublin women on it are soooooooo predictable. The two women in the liberties and the other four ones on the couch. Every single thing they say or joke they make you'd nearly know what was going to come out of their mouth before they say it.

I think I'm the sad one for noticing/thinking this, and for the record I like them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Baraics Pollox

Random fires on green areas, usually couches and bin bags of waste.

Cages around the tops of streetlights to stop people hurling rocks at them.

Massive slabs of concrete blocking sections of road not in use.

Glass and debris everywhere.

Mopeds and scramblers tearing along footpaths with 3 lads usually on them.

White Audi with some chung-wan driving a gaggle of kids around.

Houses with cameras mounted on the gutters.

Dead ends that you dare not drive into or your car gets bricked.

Pregnant Jack Russells roaming around.

Thugs cruising around in obviously stolen cars that have been ragged around a field all day and will be burnt out that night, not a care in the world about the gards being called as they most likely wouldn't show up.

Just my observation from years of driving into one of the roughest parts of the northside of Dublin. Lots of nice people in the area but a seriously knacker infested area all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Mits wrote: »
    I grew up in a working class area,
    Knew all my neighbours
    Everyone looked after each other and would help when ever needed
    Always felt safe.
    Great sense of community
    We had the community centre but it was built by the locals after years of fund raising.

As an adult I moved to a middle class area
    Barely know the people on either side and only talk to a couple of people

I know which I prefer.

Toodle along, then, they don't want your kind around , lowering the standard :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

People bringing their couch out to their front garden when the sun is shining during the summer to "have a few cans in the sun"

Why go to a Beer Garden when you can drink beer in your own Garden? :eek:

They are probably banned from the establishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Better stop dreaming of the quiet life
    Cause it's the one we'll never know
    And quit running for that runaway bus
    Cause those rosy days are few
    And, stop apologizing for the things you've never done,
    Cause time is short and life is cruel
    But it's up to us to change
    This town called malice.

Rows and rows of disused milk floats
    Stand dying in the dairy yard
    And a hundred lonely housewives clutch empty milk
    Bottles to their hearts
    Hanging out their old love letters on the line to dry
    It's enough to make you stop believing when tears come
    Fast and furious
    In a town called malice.

Struggle after struggle, year after year
    The atmosphere's a fine blend of ice
    I'm almost stone cold dead
    In a town called malice.

A whole street's belief in Sunday's roast beef
    Gets dashed against the Co-op
    To either cut down on beer or the kids new gear
    It's a big decision in a town called malice.

The ghost of a steam train, echoes down my track
    It's at the moment bound for nowhere
    Just going round and round
    Playground kids and creaking swings
    Lost laughter in the breeze
    I could go on for hours and I probably will
    But I'd sooner put some joy back
    In this town called malice.

Courtesy of Mr Paul Weller.

So good it brings a tear to my eye!

Advertisement