Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

We had some leftover black bean stew, but were out of wraps. I decided to turn it into black bean burgers and have some chips from the air fryer with them. They were brilliant, if I say so myself :D

554204.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Snowcast

We had roast chicken sandwiches. Really enjoyed them, it's been a while since we had them.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    We had some leftover black bean stew, but were out of wraps. I decided to turn it into black bean burgers and have some chips from the air fryer with them. They were brilliant, if I say so myself :D
    Your meal looks lovely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Pasta with chicken and mushrooms in creamy tomato sauce. Looks awful but it was lovely :)

20210527-185500.jpg

Tonight it was homemade chicken stew with mash. Comfort food for a grey, wet, dull evening.
    Pasta with chicken and mushrooms in creamy tomato sauce. Looks awful but it was lovely :)
    That looks delicious. Could you share the recipe for it please? I would love to try it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Snowcast wrote: »

That looks delicious. Could you share the recipe for it please? I would love to try it.

No problem :)

I made it for just one. While the pasta was cooking I fried a sliced chicken breast fillet in a little olive oil for a few minutes, then removed it to a plate and fried some sliced mushrooms.
    I put the chicken back in and added half a carton of Aldi passata, salt & black pepper and Italian herbs (I had basil and oregano but you could use the jar of mixed Italian herbs). I let it simmer for a few minutes then added about a quarter of a tub of Aldi cream cheese with garlic & herbs, you have to stir it well for a while to get it to melt in. You could use cream but I don't often have it. A pinch of garlic granules or onion granules is nice in it too.
    It's a quick and easy dinner.

• Advertisement

No problem :)

I made it for just one. While the pasta was cooking I fried a sliced chicken breast fillet in a little olive oil for a few minutes, then removed it to a plate and fried some sliced mushrooms.
    I put the chicken back in and added half a carton of Aldi passata, salt & black pepper and Italian herbs (I had basil and oregano but you could use the jar of mixed Italian herbs). I let it simmer for a few minutes then added about a quarter of a tub of Aldi cream cheese with garlic & herbs, you have to stir it well for a while to get it to melt in. You could use cream but I don't often have it. A pinch of garlic granules or onion granules is nice in it too.
    It's a quick and easy dinner.
    Thank you very much, I will be trying this at the weekend. I love meals like this, they are quick, easy and hassle-free.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Big bowl of mussels, white wine and cream. Loads of garlic ciabbata to mop up.

We have pains now from over indulging. But so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭sporina

Recliner wrote: »
    Big bowl of mussels, white wine and cream. Loads of garlic ciabbata to mop up.

We have pains now from over indulging. But so worth it.

hmm I hope you had glass of the wine to wash it all down? :pac:

sporina wrote: »
    hmm I hope you had glass of the wine to wash it all down? :pac:

But of course.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had really fresh, melt in the mouth hake with a lemon crust, chunky home made chips, salad, coleslaw and home made tartare sauce. Lemon posset and shortbreads for dessert. A cocktail or two was also enjoyed!

• Advertisement

We had really fresh, melt in the mouth hake with a lemon crust, chunky home made chips, salad, coleslaw and home made tartare sauce. Lemon posset and shortbreads for dessert. A cocktail or two was also enjoyed!

Hake, Lemon posset and Cocktails = restaurant style.. hmm hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Whats the thickest white fish you can get ? Just an idea, I dont care about the length of the fillet, just the thickness, 1'' or more and Wrights of Fairview are not too far away. Thanks

Ish66 wrote: »
    Whats the thickest white fish you can get ? Just an idea, I dont care about the length of the fillet, just the thickness, 1'' or more and Wrights of Fairview are not too far away. Thanks

probably Cod - though I don't like it much -tasteless to me.. prefer Haddock (midweek)/Hake (weekend)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭con747

You can get as big a piece of fish as you want depending on species, a monkfish loin is nice and chunky but a swordfish steak is a good size depending on the size and weight of the fish. Think of how big some fish grow, as in some would eat you in the sea!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Another vote for monkfish, pure deliciousness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No pics but I did a chorizo crusted monkfish recently. Good lord. Easy too.

This recipe

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/monkfish-recipe-chorizo-crust-spiced-beans

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Looking forward to dinner tonight.
    We're away for the weekend with friends and I'm ridiculously excited!

We'll do one dinner, they'll do one, and the third night will probably be leftovers.

So, tonight is homemade version of crispy aromatic duck. Slow cooked spiced whole duck deboned and crisped on a pan to serve. Chinese pancakes. Cucumber. Wild leek. Homemade sour plum sauce. Duck broth. Fine noodles. Choy sum (I think - some sort of Chinese greens, anyway).

I'll do the lemon and passion fruit posset someone posted here recently for dessert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Suckler

The Nal wrote: »
    No pics but I did a chorizo crusted monkfish recently. Good lord. Easy too.

This recipe

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/monkfish-recipe-chorizo-crust-spiced-beans

Prosciutto works amazing with monk fish as well

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

3F5CKU3l.jpg

mu0Mqq8l.jpg

Another vote for monkfish, pure deliciousness

yes Monkfish if king but €€€ and can be overcooked soo easily - in a matter of sec's..

Hake is our go to for quality white fish.. (having it tonight actually :))

• Advertisement

Boiled new potatoes with some salmon here tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Barbecued pork chop, eaten in the sunshine :)

20210529-184925.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! and I walked to Beshoffs this evening. I had my usual Seafood Box which was great but still missing the fresh tartare sauce you used to get before COVID. Hopefully it will come back.

Mrs G! had the scampi. When we started eating, she said it wasn’t scampi, you could see the red skin of the prawn underneath. Scampi is meant to be Dublin Bay Prawn and shouldn’t have red skin. seemingly. Never knew that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Mrs G! and I walked to Beshoffs this evening. I had my usual Seafood Box which was great but still missing the fresh tartare sauce you used to get before COVID. Hopefully it will come back.

Mrs G! had the scampi. When we started eating, she said it wasn’t scampi, you could see the red skin of the prawn underneath. Scampi is meant to be Dublin Bay Prawn and shouldn’t have red skin. seemingly. Never knew that!

I thought you were female! :)

Sounds tasty anyway.

After the lovely mussels last night, we really went all out this evening and had....Supermacs!!

Some days just work against you..

Dizzy, those wedges look gorgeous..

I adore fish and seafood but cannot eat monkfish, halibut or turbot.
    I just find it too "meaty".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I thought you were female! :)

Sounds tasty anyway.

I have many sides! ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Recliner wrote: »
    Dizzy, those wedges look gorgeous..

They really, really do! How did you get them so good?

This evening I had some stewing beef to use so did a Texan style chilli. A bit too spicy for me, so tried to counter the heat with a big blob of sour cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sporina wrote: »
    probably Cod - though I don't like it much -tasteless to me.. prefer Haddock (midweek)/Hake (weekend)
    I had cod in Iceland a couple of times and it's like a totally different fish. Difference is that the cod there are allowed to grow to maturity, and make what we get here look like goldfish in comparison. I had cod cheeks once there too, which was an eye opener.

Advertisement