Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

awec wrote: »
    Tastes like soap to me. I can tell instantly if there is coriander in any dish because it's all I can taste.

Or does soap taste like coriander? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,498 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tastes like soap to me. I can tell instantly if there is coriander in any dish because it's all I can taste.

I dont get that at all. A lot of people do yeah.

Same with celery. I find it revolting but it tastes mild to a lot of people.

Celery ruins my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Love celery, especially with Bufallo Wings. It's so fresh.

Fun fact: celery is 'calorie neutral'. Your body uses as much energy to digest it as the celery provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Fun fact: celery is 'calorie neutral'. Your body uses as much energy to digest it as the celery provides.

Unfortunately, this is not true. The only thing that is calorie neutral, or actually takes more calories to process is really cold water, as it takes energy for the body to bring it to body temp.

But we digress......this thread is probably better for this type of discussion....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,743 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

All these pictures of coriander are making me shudder. :D

The devil's herb!

That's parsley, on mine. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is there anybody that doesn't like coriander that can taste it without the soapy gene? Funny how strong it is for some of you, I can barely taste it in a dish, if at all and my gf is spitting it out.

Strange that one could smell it like soap but the taste still be normal, cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

The Nal wrote: »
    I dont get that at all. A lot of people do yeah.

Same with celery. I find it revolting but it tastes mild to a lot of people.

Celery ruins my day.

I love coriander and celery and avocado. But mangoes taste like soap to me. Hate them.

My eldest son hates celery and used to complain when I bought it as he felt he could taste it on everything else in the fridge. When he was about 3 he christened it "bridges". Took me a while to figure out what he hates about his dinner when he was crying "I hate bridges" eating a stew.

I have a friend who is allergic to coriander leaves but not the powder as it's from the seeds. So when he would come over my guacamole had powder instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ish66 wrote: »
    This Chile grinder gives everything a lovely kick too
    Chilli.jpg
    :)
    Where did you get that? Im looking for similar since Aldi stopped doing their Supreme ones ages ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

pretty sure I saw it in Tesco the other day

I'm fairly certain Tesco have more chilli products than you could shake a stick at.

Snap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Witchie wrote: »
    I love coriander and celery and avocado. But mangoes taste like soap to me. Hate them.

My eldest son hates celery and used to complain when I bought it as he felt he could taste it on everything else in the fridge. When he was about 3 he christened it "bridges". Took me a while to figure out what he hates about his dinner when he was crying "I hate bridges" eating a stew.

I have a friend who is allergic to coriander leaves but not the powder as it's from the seeds. So when he would come over my guacamole had powder instead.

I don't think my gf has issue with the seeds either. My father tastes cucumber like perfume.

Does anyone's local Tesco have the big dried whole chillis? I could get them years back but couldn't see any recently when I looked (first time looking for them in a while)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've got a chicken, pork and apple stuffing, carrots, parsnips and spuds in the oven and I can't *wait*. Gravy just awaiting the chicken juices.

The potatoes are Lidl's frozen goosefat potatoes. I've never had them before so hope they aren't the turd in the punchbowl of an otherwise lovely meal. They're a great lazy option for a midweek roast if they're nice.

I've got a chicken, pork and apple stuffing, carrots, parsnips and spuds in the oven and I can't *wait*. Gravy just awaiting the chicken juices.

The potatoes are Lidl's frozen goosefat potatoes. I've never had them before so hope they aren't the turd in the punchbowl of an otherwise lovely meal. They're a great lazy option for a midweek roast if they're nice.
    Pics, or GTFO... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Recliner

Homemade burger and chips.
    Nommy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭raclle

Lamb Shank and Potato Gratin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Brisket pie here this evening, made it all last night, just had to put the filling into the pasty this evening and it was ready to go straight into the oven after work.

These are the fairly big enamel pie dishes, so I sent one of these to the in-laws (grandparents in lockdown)

IMG-20210120-073924.jpg

Short crust pastry at the bottom, but the pie top is puff pastry, which gives a really good crust.

Oven ready.

IMG-20210120-073848.jpg

25 mins later ready to eat.

IMG-20210120-180225.jpg

This being "my half"

IMG-20210120-180543.jpg

And of.course, are you even having pie at all, if you're not having it with chips and brown sauce?

IMG-20210120-180701.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

Feeling lazy this evening so just heated a portion of beef chilli from the freezer and melted some cheese on top of nacho chips. Very quick dinner to make!

540138.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

No Masterchef awards here tonight! Breaded chicken fillets (bought) with sweet chilli stir fried veg. Served with Aldi instant steamed rice and Aldi skin on fries :)

20210120-190501.jpg

Recipe from one of Gordon Ramsay's cookbooks, smoked coley with potatoes, creme fraiche, spinach and potatoes

a99ArqE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Veggie Chilli and Rice with Garlic Naan!

Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Takeaway pizza on a night shift.
    Employer treats us every week - medical building and we think it's to make up for the PPE;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

cnocbui wrote: »
    Pics, or GTFO... ;)

It was demolished without a camera in sight!

The Lidl goosefat potatoes were really nice. They didn't taste as good as home made potatoes but we all enjoyed them and will definitely repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭con747

Recliner wrote: »
    Nommy...

How did you do the chips? Look very tasty with the crunchy bits. Deep fry?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

Recliner wrote: »
    Nommy...

yum! and those chips look soo good... we had horrid aldi breaded chicken burgers, once bitten etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ragu from the freezer and fresh Tagliatelle from Aldi. Very quick and tasty dinner.

attachment.php?attachmentid=540157&d=1611180544

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Shepards pie with a side of brocoli. Perfect winter food

Tomato sauce (love that this isn't too sweet), vegan mozzarella, homemade cashew ricotta, sun dried tomatoes (and that these bring out a nice sweetness), wild mushrooms (and these bad boys are indeed wild ) & fresh basil.

2DGgzEPl.jpg

White base, vegan mozzarella, sliced potatoes (Irish delicacy), red onion, vegan chorizo (dayum) and fresh rocket.

xyhBKhxl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Question, Tar, how many jumpers do you have and is one specifically reserved for cooking?

But for me today it was potato, carrot and leek soup with pretentious oil swirl and some crispy bacon bits (cut up rashers) to ruin my 100% vegetarian day so far.

UIfzOxm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Thargor wrote: »
    Where did you get that? Im looking for similar since Aldi stopped doing their Supreme ones ages ago..
    Tesco. I have seen it in Supervalu too

Advertisement