Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Patsy, would you keep many cattle out over the winter?
    I've a few fresh calved cows still out. They're in a dry field with grass. Better than spending big money on straw.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I've a few fresh calved cows still out. They're in a dry field with grass. Better than spending big money on straw.

How long would the the pouron need to be rainfast ? I could be a mile off but I thought it was ok if it got an hour or so after application

Bullocks wrote: »
    How long would the the pouron need to be rainfast ? I could be a mile off but I thought it was ok if it got an hour or so after application
    It is very oil based, in fairness. Still I'd like to avoid rain for a day at least.

Constant drizzle here all day in east Clare.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

It is very oil based, in fairness. Still I'd like to avoid rain for a day at least.

Constant drizzle here all day in east Clare.
    Same here , it got heavier in the afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Overcast here but the yards still dry. A good bit cooler than yesterday though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had some family over Thursday night for a cards night, maybe 20 total..

Had the door open outt to the patio as it was getting too warm inside...

Same night last year it snowed and a few cars needed a push on the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Feels like were half way through spring!! - My Daffs are half up and the Goldies in the Garden Pond have come out of hibernation due to the amount of midge/fly activity!! Have a feeling though that winter proper will kick in before next month is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Dickie10

unbelivable weather the last week, grass growing still, very easy weather on sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Mild and dry like a Spring day in South East Clare. Birds in full voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

Ploughing sandy ground before the winter kicks in, see man cutting grass this am shirt shorts on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Is it to dry for urea. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Dunno bout the rest of ye but these are the first days without rain in about 2 months straight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Is it to dry for urea. Lol

8 ton going out here on the 15th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Misty and mild here, I noticed young docks starting to grown in the haggard during the week. I'm just back after following the local trencher fed hounds for a few hours and was boiling wearing a hoodie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Warm day with a constant very fine mist

So 2018 was a dry, hot year. Well according to Met Eireann, rainfall for Shannon Airport was 965mm. Average annual for shannon is 977mm.
    Temp was an average of 10.8, average annnual is 10.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I don't get what u are saying Patsy. It was a dry and hot Summer. But we got plenty of precipitation for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    I don't get what u are saying Patsy. It was a dry and hot Summer. But we got plenty of precipitation for the rest of the year.

I think he's saying even after the drought that the year balanced out itself

So 2018 was a dry, hot year. Well according to Met Eireann, rainfall for Shannon Airport was 965mm. Average annual for shannon is 977mm.
    Temp was an average of 10.8, average annnual is 10.7.

I was wondering about that yesterday talking to another farmer about last year's weather.

Just shows what can be hidden inside an average figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I was wondering about that yesterday talking to another farmer about last year's weather.

Just shows what can be hidden inside an average figure.

I had a quick look at the Dublin figures a d the only figure that's far from average is evaporation a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Today is gone to sh1te. Drizzle turning to light showers. Last 2 days were grand. Ground drying and mild.

Today is gone to sh1te. Drizzle turning to light showers. Last 2 days were grand. Ground drying and mild.
    Great weather for slurry, ground dry, temperatures warm, no rain forecast.

The exact opposite of what it will be the day the spreading season opens:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

Great weather for slurry, ground dry, temperatures warm, no rain forecast.

The exact opposite of what it will be the day the spreading season opens:rolleyes:

I was just coming on to write the same comment as above. But obviously the higher powers out in the eu know better than us.

mengele wrote: »
    I was just coming on to write the same comment as above. But obviously the higher powers out in the eu know better than us.
    Apparently it's better to plaster on slurry at 2kgallons/acre on the opening day more or less regardless of the conditions than it would be to allow rates of 1k/acre now when ground conditions are good, there's no work pressure on farmer or contractor and the 3-6 units of N&P would be taken up by the grass straight away.

Farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Apparently it's better to plaster on slurry at 2kgallons/acre on the opening day more or less regardless of the conditions than it would be to allow rates of 1k/acre now when ground conditions are good, there's no work pressure on farmer or contractor and the 3-6 units of N&P would be taken up by the grass straight away.

Farcical.
    Jackie Cahill TD has asked the Minister to allow for early slurry spreading

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/lift-slurry-ban-and-allow-farmers-start-spreading-today-fianna-fail-430320

• Registered Users Posts: 29,242 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Kids are gone with my sister to the wild lights in Dublin zoo. They were meant to go this time last year but it was cancelled that day due to stormy weather. Some change this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,242 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Looking on the news there it's raining in Sligo, haven't seen rain here like that for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Odelay

ganmo wrote: »
    I had a quick look at the Dublin figures a d the only figure that's far from average is evaporation a

The evaporation figure is well worth while paying attention to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mullingar had 81% rainfall of it's long term average in 2018.
    Mace head, Galway 81%.
    Casement, Dublin 86%.
    Gurteen agricultural college 89%.
    Phoenix Park, Dublin 89%.

These are staggering numbers when most on here would have you believe that things always average out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Mullingar had 81% rainfall of it's long term average in 2018.
    Mace head, Galway 81%.
    Casement, Dublin 86%.
    Gurteen agricultural college 89%.
    Phoenix Park, Dublin 89%.

These are staggering numbers when most on here would have you believe that things always average out.

Average out in 12 months maube not. In 12 years definitely

Advertisement