Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

whelan2 wrote: »
    Looking on the news there it's raining in Sligo, haven't seen rain here like that for a while

Rain woke me there (Leitrim)...to be fair we have had mild dry weather until yesterday which was cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Rain woke me there (Leitrim)...to be fair we have had mild dry weather until yesterday which was cold.

Keep it. We have drinkers to go in today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Average out in 12 months maube not. In 12 years definitely

Actually two thirds of the country's climate stations reached or exceeded their average rainfall this year
    Which is a remarkable vindication of the statement weather averages out in the light of the summer drought
    There's always a few every year that show anomalies due to something local or other,but anyone cherry picking those and only coming up with a 20% defecit in a year like this one to decry averaging is on a sticky wicket
    They should really stick to what they've actual experience of
    I've been recording rain for over 20 years and am slightly above average for 2018
    The graphs of the climate stations are available on met.ie

https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements

Here's Belmullet's for example

07060b6eb48e075dbaf06467a46650c2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

64% of Met Eireann stations were below average for rainfall this year.

Screenshot-2019-01-06-09-56-57.png

No cherry picking or sticky wickets or claiming otherwise.

Maybe if you count 96 to 99% as below average ..how sticky do you want that wicket?

Anything between 90 and 110 % over 12 months is close to average Sir

I suspect when met Éireann have the data in from their 100's of nationwide rain recording stations including mine,we'll have an even more defined picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,239 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Keep it. We have drinkers to go in today

On a Sunday?

On a Sunday?

Yeah. Want to keep momentum going while we can and once the weather's with us.

Sheds to be cleaned out and rebedded with peat next week along with fencing off 80 acres (boundary and paddocks...roughly 700ish posts) and lay 1000m (guesstimate at this stage) of 1in water pipe. Have to do that before the 15th cos then it's out with 8 ton of urea

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Maybe if you count 96 to 99% as below average ..how sticky do you want that wicket?

Anything between 90 and 110 % over 12 months is close to average Sir

I suspect when met Éireann have the data in from their 100's of nationwide rain recording stations including mine,we'll have an even more defined picture

It's close but 99% nor 110% is not average.

Say that to a maths teacher and you'll be laughed out of it.

Just stick to the facts and don't be making arguments to suit your own narrative. You'll never loose an argument nor will you need to get in one.

I wouldn't have posted that graph only you claimed that 2/3's were average and above it and what's worse is that people would have believed it.

The incitory language of stick to what you know was an added bonus for replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Sheds to be cleaned out and rebedded with peat next week along with fencing off 80 acres (boundary and paddocks...roughly 700ish posts) and lay 1000m (guesstimate at this stage) of 1in water pipe. Have to do that before the 15th cos then it's out with 8 ton of urea

Did you buy a spinner this year Reggie?

It's close but 99% nor 110% is not average.

Say that to a maths teacher and you'll be laughed out of it.

Just stick to the facts and don't be making arguments to suit your own narrative. You'll never loose an argument nor will you need to get in one.

I wouldn't have posted that graph only you claimed that 2/3's were average and above it and what's worse is that people would have believed it.

The incitory language of stick to what you know was an added bonus for replying.

I'm sorry but you seem to know everything without having experience of everything, I stick to what I've actual experience of
    If you're drilling down my reply to your fear that you're not always right,that's not my problem
    Actually I didn't reference you at all,I'm just giving my input
    You're entitled to your opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭dzer2

On a Sunday?

Dangerous spreading urea with the cold snap forecast for the end of the month

dzer2 wrote: »

Urea seems to be more able to cope with frost than than others,it may depend on the farm
    We'll know better in a week or 2 what impact events up in the artic will have down our way
    It might be that ground temps stay on the wrong side of marginal for growth for a bit longer
    Years ago but not too many years ago we wouldn't have the information pointed to a risk of cold that we have today
    In some ways it's like being married to a nurse,where you learn a little too much about how ill you are if you are ill
    I wouldn't advise anyone,I'd say do what you feel is right
    I'll give an opinion in a week or 2 on the latest information
    But then I'm a weather geek :D

dzer2 wrote: »

Not my call.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did you buy a spinner this year Reggie?

No just the BIL has no tractor sorted yet but can get his hands on a fert spreader so I'll chuck it out for him

I'm sorry but you seem to know everything without having experience of everything, I stick to what I've actual experience of
    If you're drilling down my reply to your fear that you're not always right,that's not my problem
    Actually I didn't reference you at all,I'm just giving my input
    You're entitled to your opinion

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but as long as you know there can be a huge difference of water in 1%.
    If Buford got 1% of his yearly average today he'd be a while again before land work could start.

I couldn't care less about being right or correct but what annoys me is when stats are published and someone else doesn't read them properly to suit themselves that really gets my goat.

But opinions or feelings or whatever snowflake whataboutery doesn't get away from the fact that 110% is not average.
    Stick to facts and what's worse is you consider yourself a weather geek.

I read the stats correctly
    What's wrong is using 96 to 99% as below average
    Its a yearly average so I doubt Buford would notice 1% divided by 12 or 4% for that matter
    In a month it would be 1 to 4mm
    Are we done now ?
    I've heard your opinion ,youre entitled to it

Anyways drizzling a bit here today ;)

I read the stats correctly
    What's wrong is using 96 to 99% as below average
    Its a yearly average so I doubt Buford would notice 1% divided by 12 or 4% for that matter
    In a month it would be 1 to 4mm
    Are we done now ?
    I've heard your opinion ,youre entitled to it

What the phuk has this opinion crap got to do with weather.

1% of this yearly's total for Valentia would be 17.6 mm.

<snip>

I used to like coming onto boards, find it a chore this last while. It's a discussion board, just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean you have to chase them down on every topic they reply on. Blocking does work sometimes. I hope some time farming and forestry might get back to what it used to be like, instead of having to check every word you write in fear of upsetting certain people. Some people don't know when to stop.edited to say I'm going to do my profit monitor it'd be better than reading this ****e

What the phuk has this opinion crap got to do with weather.

1% of this yearly's total for Valentia would be 17.6 mm.

<snip>

My !

I just used my phone to divide 17.6mn by 12 and got this
    Maybe it's a fraud?

7353267765368c8d73dd037c30efb47e.jpg

• Advertisement

My !

I just used my phone to divide 17.6mn by 12 and got this
    Maybe it's a fraud?

7353267765368c8d73dd037c30efb47e.jpg

When I posted that 1% would make a hell of a difference to Buford if it fell today and you don't answer that question.
    But instead bring crap up about it falling throughout the year.

The fraud relates to you making crap up about 2/3 of stations being average and above for rainfall and claiming to have meteorological knowledge.

Plus offering your opinion on future weather conditions when you are just a country bumkin farmer the same as the rest of us but who doesn't share that your opinion comes from qualified forecasters who share their charts and maps on social media.

That's fraud to me.

Care to elaborate on what edit you made to your post 10 mins after my reply?
    The original is available to mods

Also anyway taking 1% of a total counted in 12 months and using it as if it fell in one day to make a point like you're trying to make is ridiculous as the extra 1% can fall any time of the year
    Its a 12 month total compared to annual averages counted up over 12 months so divide by 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Mortelaro and Say My Name, we'll leave this topic alone now. If you wish to continue it, take it to PM.

Thanks,

Buford T. Justice

Mod note: Mortelaro and Say My Name, we'll leave this topic alone now. If you wish to continue it, take it to PM.

Thanks,

Buford T. Justice
    Done and dusted with me anyway.

Nice intervention.
    But points needed to be made no matter how trivial to the grand scheme of things.

Done and dusted with me anyway.

Nice intervention.
    But points needed to be made no matter how trivial to the grand scheme of things.

I would concur and am glad we can shake hands like this after the fact,despite our disagreements :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

And on that note, cooler and windy here today but still dry.

I would concur and am glad we can shake hands like this after the fact,despite our disagreements :)

Screenshot-2019-01-06-13-49-20.png

Bloody drizzle here now

Sunny here today in the coastal southeast

• Advertisement

Bloody drizzle here now

Ya jinxed it

Advertisement