Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

All this talk of how we write different letters is interesting. I'm noting a bit more of how I do things as I draft rough plotpoints for my latest venture into writing - a short story loosely based on the game of WW. :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

sullivlo wrote: »
    I write my K wonky.

Start with the vertical, then middle to top right, middle to bottom right.

I can see pens, paper and various copies of alphabets at the next beers. We haven’t even started to discuss the Greek alphabet.
    Pter wrote: »
    That's how I write k too

That is kinda weird (and inefficient) alright. I do the vertical, then from top right in one penstroke do a less than sign to complete.

It’s strange how, presumably, we were all taught the same way but each evolved our own idiosyncrasies.

All except G where i start in the middle of the letter

I don’t even think understand how that’s possible. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

quickbeam wrote: »
    That is kinda weird (and inefficient) alright. I do the vertical, then from top right in one penstroke do a less than sign to complete.

It’s strange how, presumably, we were all taught the same way but each evolved our own idiosyncrasies.

The further you get into education the more it was about getting the info down as quickly as possible in a way that was still legable to me at the least. Style and form suffers to efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Banjo wrote: »
    What about the Letter R? How do you do them?
    Come on Necro - show me your Rs!

:D
    I know for a fact that I do my R's wonky. I never never use the lower case R. It's always a capital R for me. r just looks stupid to me.
    sKeith wrote: »
    The further you get into education the more it was about getting the info down as quickly as possible in a way that was still legable to me at the least. Style and form suffers to efficiency.

I remember in 5th/6th class in primary school being brought to the top of the class for extra handwriting lessons by my teacher. It was mortifying. All so I could write cursive properly despite me insisting that I didn't need cursive. And yeah, all these years later, I never use cursive. My writing is usually all single letters or capital letters. Takes longer to write but I don't care. I despise cursive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I have a load of post-its on my desk now covered in random letters. If it wasn't already common knowledge people would think I was mad!

what's worse is I just noticed that one has 3 K's on it...to the shredder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

People will think you are the Irish Zodiac killer, TB.

I mean moreso than they already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

How do you all write your 7's, I do it with the line in the middle?

seven+with+line.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pter wrote: »
    People will think you are the Irish Zodiac killer, TB.

I mean moreso than they already do.

I mean she could be just writing love notes to Kolido with all her Ks :pac:

• Advertisement

I write 7 as I just typed it there, Kol.

Has to be with a line through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

If it doesn't have the line, how do you know its a proper 7 and not a broken 2?

fixxxer wrote: »
    If it doesn't have the line, how do you know its a proper 7 and not a broken 2?

Just as you know it's a 7 when you type it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Necro wrote: »
    Just as you know it's a 7 when you type it ;)

Yeah but this is handwriting. Handwriting!! Trying to read some of the things I get sent would drive you crazy.

"Dr. whats this clinical detail? It looks all the world like trampled willy, but I know- what? Kidney transplant? Any chance you can try block capitals in future?"

fixxxer wrote: »
    Yeah but this is handwriting. Handwriting!! Trying to read some of the things I get sent would drive you crazy.

"Dr. whats this clinical detail? It looks all the world like trampled willy, but I know- what? Kidney transplant? Any chance you can try block capitals in future?"

I don't write much at all anymore tbh, mainly deal in numbers and capital letters (taking down Garda registrations).

Anything else is all on the PC. Handwriting and it's vast, vast array of differences per person I'd agree isn't helpful.

Dunno where my old GP learned to write but quite how the pharmacist can read it is beyond me. Just looks like an undecipherable scrawl on the prescription.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

what's worse is I just noticed that one has 3 K's on it...to the shredder!!

I had that moment of panic last night. Whoops.

I cross my 7. Like a normal person. I give my 1 a hat and feet (like it’s typed) and I start my 5 top right, to the left, then down and the backward C.

Pfft... normal 7. It's put on every standard keyboard without a cross so who's normal now :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Pfft... normal 7. It's put on every standard keyboard without a cross so who's normal now :P
    I teach maths.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I cross my 7. Like a normal person.

:)

I don’t cross my 7s. My 1 is just a straight vertical line. My 5 is inefficient though horizontal first, left to right then back to complete the rest.

Cap goes first on my J too bout not on my T. I’m wholly inconsistent :)

I is just a vertical line too, no cap or foot. So pretty much indistinguishable from my 1 but for context.

• Advertisement

I don’t dot my i when writing.

Do you do a 4 like on your keyboard?

I cross my 7 and top and tail my 1. My 4 is like an L but with the slanty vertical and a cross on the horizontal I'm fascinated by people who do it like it's typed!

J is the other letter I don't really do "normally" it's always cursive.

the weird thing about my writing is the proportions if I write a word with a capital letter the capital is probably twice the size of the next letter unless it's on an envelope then we're talking like 3 or 4 times the size. I find block capitals really hard and often mix block caps and block smalls(?)

(edit I just measured and in my signature my caps are actually 7 times the size of my smalls!!)

This is turning into alphabetics anonymous.

oh and there's very little between my capital K and capital R

Do you do a 4 like on your keyboard?

Yes actually.

where do you start and finish that one. start backwards horizontal or upwards vertical?

where do you start and finish that one. start backwards horizontal or upwards vertical?

Yeah and then up diagonally, down vertically to finish.

Recent time in college meant I had to write & a lot. Never quite mastered it. Only came out properly about half the time.

• Advertisement

Oh and left and right curly brackets were fine { } but if I had to do one sideways I couldn’t and would have to turn my notebook 90 degrees to do.

Advertisement