Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spawell complex for Dublin GAA - back on the agenda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Ooh wasn't there a big row over tallaght stadium when it was being built? The club out there wanted it to be a gaa stadium as well.

Yup. Even as a GAA man first and foremost I've never really forgiven the hullabaloo over that. Absolutely disgraceful carry-on. Was delighted that SDCC and Rovers won the case.

Delayed its building interminably. The place looked pathetic half built and a monument to Irish planing fiascos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Leinster rugby do not at all essentially own the RDS. They are tenants to the Royal Dublin Society. They play all bar 2 games, that they are guaranteed each season, in the RDS and the sole reason they have 2 regular season games in the Aviva is the deal with the RDS was made when the Italians were not part of the celtic league.
    Leinster dont downsize by playing virtually all their games in the RDS. Playing more in the Aviva would be a waste and doesnt look as good.

Leinster actually moved out of Donnybrook to the RDS as it was bigger, there's plans to expand the RDS now pretty much on the back of them being tennants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

rpurfield wrote: »
    Leinster actually moved out of Donnybrook to the RDS as it was bigger, there's plans to expand the RDS now pretty much on the back of them being tenants.
    Yes but op was going on about ownership and they were wrong in that issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

By that logic, the GAA shouldn't invest money in Castlebar, Salthill, or Markievicz Park so!

If there was a far superior option based in any of the counties you have referenced, then I would agree

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Cost Thomas Davis a fair few bob in legal fees,which they couldve used on their own club developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Yes but op was going on about ownership and they were wrong in that issue
    i said that Leinster "plays their less important games in the RDS rather than the Aviva stadium which they essentially own."
    So comparing the RDS to the Aviva which they own.

Hard to read out of it that I said they own the RDS, especially if you have half an inkling into the fact that the RDS is a society devoted to agriculture and the likes which wouldnt be likely to ever sell the location for their prime event, the horse show, to outside interests.

I believe they sold a corner of the RDS site back in the days which then became the 4 seasons, but that was a consequence of them no longer needing such a massive plot now that they werent hosting the Spring show and the ploughing championships taking over as the prime farm machinery exhibition.

But back on topic, Dublin could indeed do a leinster and move their regular games to a more compact ground, but unlike leinster they'd be paying rent to themselves so the stadium would be self funding and eventually could be a profit maker for the Dublin county board

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Seems like more needless waste (if Dublin are 100% paying for it themselves then fine off they go) but I'm not sure it is really necessary for Dublin to have their own stadium when they can use Croke Park.The money could be put to much better use,, same applies to the ridiculously costly development of Pairc Ui Caoimh. There aren't enough big games to justify all these stadia around the country.

Totally agree. We have far too many big stadia with capacities that are rarely if ever required. Most league games don't attract a crowd of more than a few thousand, and a lot of provincial championship games (and qualifiers) don't attract a crowd of more than about 10,000 either, yet we spend millions building all these big stadia that lie empty for most of the year and are rarely if ever filled to capacity or even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

Speaking to someone the other evening who appears to have an inside view and he said they don't think they will get PP for a 25k seater stadium , more likely a 15k seated stadium. Apparently one of the main reasons Dublin county board want it is for the Dublin hurlers, both from a playing perspective and more importantly training facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

i said that Leinster "plays their less important games in the RDS rather than the Aviva stadium which they essentially own."
    So comparing the RDS to the Aviva which they own.

Hard to read out of it that I said they own the RDS, especially if you have half an inkling into the fact that the RDS is a society devoted to agriculture and the likes which wouldnt be likely to ever sell the location for their prime event, the horse show, to outside interests.

I believe they sold a corner of the RDS site back in the days which then became the 4 seasons, but that was a consequence of them no longer needing such a massive plot now that they werent hosting the Spring show and the ploughing championships taking over as the prime farm machinery exhibition.

But back on topic, Dublin could indeed do a leinster and move their regular games to a more compact ground, but unlike leinster they'd be paying rent to themselves so the stadium would be self funding and eventually could be a profit maker for the Dublin county board
    Leinster don't own Aviva. They may be a part of the IRFU but IRFU own Aviva and for each use of Aviva Leinster are paying rent. They don't own it. They don't own RDS either. They are very much held back/hamstringed by the RDS in terms of what they want from the stadium
    Dublin do a Leinster? No they wont. It would be quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Leinster don't own Aviva. They may be a part of the IRFU but IRFU own Aviva and for each use of Aviva Leinster are paying rent. They don't own it. They don't own RDS either. They are very much held back/hamstringed by the RDS in terms of what they want from the stadium
    Dublin do a Leinster? No they wont. It would be quite different.

Would Leinster & Dublin do a groundshare somewhere? Spawell could be used as a centre of excellence and a nice compact 25k stadium would suit both perfectly

• Advertisement

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Would Leinster & Dublin do a groundshare somewhere? Spawell could be used as a centre of excellence and a nice compact 25k stadium would suit both perfectly

There's plans to upgrade the RDS to 20 something thousand and I think it hinges on Leinster staying there, and they have Donnybrook for their A and underage games. I honestly couldn't see them moving out to Spawell either, the RDS is right in their traditional are, it would make sense to develop a multi sports area though.

rpurfield wrote: »
    There's plans to upgrade the RDS to 20 something thousand and I think it hinges on Leinster staying there, and they have Donnybrook for their A and underage games. I honestly couldn't see them moving out to Spawell either, the RDS is right in their traditional are, it would make sense to develop a multi sports area though.

Yeah,I dont think Leinster would fancy moving too far but a site like Old Belvedere Rugby could be ideal for a development

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The big thing to consider is how much does it cost to open up Croke Park.

I'm more of a rugby fan but the Aviva costs about 400k to open its doors hire stewards etc. I believe Croke Park might cost 600k to open hire stewards etc for even the smallest match which requires the stadium to be fully open and staffed.

The important thing with a new stadium is that it costs less than 100k a game to open and staff. That way if you move 6 games a year (guess at football and hurling league fixtures) that could we be 3 million a year saved in stadium operating costs.

If so the Stawell ground could pay for itself reasonably quickly. Better still if the GAA wants to lease the stadium out for a few games a season they could attract big games from Soccer teams or a rugby friendly in the preseason (Leinster try to move out of their traditional home in preseason).

I'm more of a rugby fan but the Aviva costs about 400k to open its doors hire stewards etc. I believe Croke Park might cost 600k to open hire stewards etc for even the smallest match which requires the stadium to be fully open and staffed.

The important thing with a new stadium is that it costs less than 100k a game to open and staff. That way if you move 6 games a year (guess at football and hurling league fixtures) that could we be 3 million a year saved in stadium operating costs.

If so the Stawell ground could pay for itself reasonably quickly. Better still if the GAA wants to lease the stadium out for a few games a season they could attract big games from Soccer teams or a rugby friendly in the preseason (Leinster try to move out of their traditional home in preseason).

Croker costs €30,000 to open for games with small attendances (I.E Junior & Intermediate club finals)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Croker costs €30,000 to open for games with small attendances (I.E Junior & Intermediate club finals)

Fair point, it's my understanding that once it passes beyond a cetrain attendance thhe stadium is fully open and needs to be fully staffed even if attendance isn't near full.

For Aviva stadium that point could be around 10k I don't know for Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

That is nonsense. Why would Croke Park need to be fully open and staffed for a small match? Have you never been there on days when a smallish crowd is expected? The entire upper tier of the Hogan and Cusack stands are closed.

Beffs wrote: »
    That is nonsense. Why would Croke Park need to be fully open and staffed for a small match? Have you never been there on days when a smallish crowd is expected? The entire upper tier of the Hogan and Cusack stands are closed.

Some of the games like the the junior and inter club finals and possibly the division 3&4 finals only the Hogan is open and it's adequate. Sure the Ring replay was in it last year with an attendance of around 3-4 thousand. They wouldn't open it if they were losing a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

according to the newspapers, it looks like the purchase will go through, but Dublin GAA more focused on getting a training centre with pitches up and running than a medium sized stadium
    The much anticipated deal between Dublin GAA and the Davy Group for the purchase of the Spawell complex in Templeogue looks to be finally heading for conclusion by the beginning of March.

Contrary to other speculation, it is also understood that the development of a 25,000-capacity stadium on the site is not a current priority and the plan will be to develop a centre of excellence with a number of pitches, including a small-scale spectator arena with room for around 2,500, suitable for under-age matches and Sigerson or Fitzgibbon Cup fixtures.
    <snip>
    Plans are for training facilities similar to the GAA’s national centre opened last year in Abbotstown, four pitches, including one sand-based and with floodlights which will be fitted with spectator facilities and will relieve pressure on Crumlin’s O’Toole Park. It will not be used for major inter-county matches.
    an extensive article and history of the buying process is here :
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-acquisition-of-spawell-expected-by-early-march-1.2978455

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

according to the newspapers, it looks like the purchase will go through, but Dublin GAA more focused on getting a training centre with pitches up and running than a medium sized stadium

an extensive article and history of the buying process is here :
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/dublin-acquisition-of-spawell-expected-by-early-march-1.2978455

Hopefully it means the dublin hurlers aren't going to be poor cousins anymore when it comes to access to facilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bambi wrote: »
    Hopefully it means the dublin hurlers aren't going to be poor cousins anymore when it comes to access to facilities

so the €1 million a year special funding for Dublin hurling has been cut?

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    so the €1 million a year special funding for Dublin hurling has been cut?

Access to facilities.

That's access to facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-shelve-plans-for-45m-spawell-stadium-36063877.html

Dublin chairman Seán Shanley has revealed that plans for a stadium at the Spawell site on the south side of the city have been shelved in favour of a centre of excellence-style development.
    Dublin GAA acquired the 35-acre site for a fee in excess of €9m earlier this year amidst suggestions they would build a 25,000-seater stadium at the location. However, Shanley has dismissed that idea.
    "It's ours, we own it, but it'll take a bit of time to sort out the leases in it," he said of the site.

"The whole place is leased out. There's rental income coming from it. We never wanted to be landlords, but basically we want the land where the pitch and putt and the driving range is. That's to be converted into five pitches, a bit like Abbotstown, so that will be Dublin's Centre of Excellence with a nice cluster of pitches."

Plans for a stadium are believed to have been costed at around €45m with Shanley questioning the need for venue of that size.Instead, a much smaller arena that could be used to host club games will be included in the development.

"There won't be any stadium in it. Number one, it would take to long to try and get planning permission, as well as being too costly for the occasions you'd use a stadium there," he said.

"Parnell Park holds 10,000 so another stadium… if we have more than 10,000 we can go to Croke Park.
    "Now, that's costly to open Croke Park for 20,000 but we don't have a decent pitch in the Spawell where local championship games can be played.

"Like, it's ridiculous bringing Ballyboden and Crokes over to Parnell Park. The likes of that could be played in the Spawell. We'd have a small viewing area like Abbotstown."
    The hunt for the successor to Ger Cunningham as Dublin hurling manager will pick up pace in the coming weeks with Shanley insisting the appointment was vital for the future of hurling in the county.

"We can't afford to be putting it on the long finger with the hurling. The weeding out has been done. There's a lot of new blood there," he added. "We've won a few Leinster titles in minor and U-21 lately so as far as I'm concerned the hurlers are there, it's a matter of blending them together and getting over the line."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Good to see the stadium idea has been dropped. Not seen one positive reaction to it.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Good to see the stadium idea has been dropped. Not seen one positive reaction to it.

I for one am delighted Dublin are not pursuing this,It's a waste of Money with Croker up the road,But now Croker should be considered Dublin's home venue going forward.

You would have to know the geography of Dublin to realise that a stadium in Spawell would have been white elephant. Good to see wiser counsels prevailed.

Parnell is perfect for county club and gets big crowds for the Dublin championship. Easily accessible by car or public transport from all parts of the city. Should also be where hurlers play all their home games.

Fair enough point about Croke Park as home for the footballers. They play most of their games there. And have done except for period between late 90s and early 2000s when Parnell stopped being able to cater for average Dublin league games which are over 20,000.

Parnell is perfect for county club and gets big crowds for the Dublin championship. Easily accessible by car or public transport from all parts of the city. Should also be where hurlers play all their home games.

It can be a pain in the hole to get to by bus

Not as bad as Spawell surely? Don't think there is even a bus route that goes near it.

Anyway, we can use the money to bribe refs and clone Le Bron James as centre half forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

so Dublin just piggyback on Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not as bad as Spawell surely? Don't think there is even a bus route that goes near it.

think the 150 goes within about 200 yards of the gate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Absolute rage. Getting to Doneycarney for us South- and Westsiders is a ballache most of the time.

Advertisement