Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spawell complex for Dublin GAA - back on the agenda

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The thing is you can say that there isn't enough of a crowd for club games for this stadium which is the case if you look at the crowds going to PP but that disregards that if there is a nice modern atmospheric stadium it will become far more of a desired event to attend.

The GAA are growing the sport by improving their stadium infrastructure (Pairc ui Caoimh, Casement, the Spawell). It's a good strategy and is much needed.

People who go on about white elephants and wastes of money are being short sighted. You can't ask people to attend stadiums largely built in the 1950's to 1970's. These days you need to appeal to families, people who just want a night out with a beer and a hamburger and the way to do that is through modern facilities and creating an event culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dots1982 wrote: »
    The thing is you can say that there isn't enough of a crowd for club games for this stadium which is the case if you look at the crowds going to PP but that disregards that if there is a nice modern atmospheric stadium it will become far more of a desired event to attend.

The GAA are growing the sport by improving their stadium infrastructure (Pairc ui Caoimh, Casement, the Spawell). It's a good strategy and is much needed.

People who go on about white elephants and wastes of money are being short sighted. You can't ask people to attend stadiums largely built in the 1950's to 1970's. These days you need to appeal to families, people who just want a night out with a beer and a hamburger and the way to do that is through modern facilities and creating an event culture.

That's all well and good, but where do you draw the line? Where do you say that one county should have modern facilities to promote an event culture, but another county should not? In a perfect world, with unlimited funds, all 32 counties should have a modern state of the art facility. If Cork gets one, why shouldn't Leitrim, or Carlow, or feckit, the Aran Islands, get one too?

At the end of the day, there aren't unlimited funds available to built new stadia, or renovate all the old ones to a high level. So criteria such as how much use will a new stadium get, how many big games will it host etc etc should be in place, before building projects are green lit. Tough questions should be asked & if people don't like that....too bad !

If we don't, more white elephants (and the new Pairc will be one imo) will just proliferate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭corny

Even in a time when GAA is thriving in Dublin could you see 25,000 people attending any club game in Dublin? The core element will go to games no matter where they're held. You might get a few extras who like the look of the scenery but no way will they amount to 15,000 more. In 5 years time when Dublin join the pack and aren't the winning ticket anymore you'll find it even harder to reach 25,000.

Also, if your argument were true people would be flocking to Croke Park in the Spring to watch Dublin. Good stadium, a beer, a hamburger, anything you like. As it is, despite the aggressive advertising and successful team, the attendance is falling each year. In line with whats happening throughout the GAA i might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but where do you draw the line? Where do you say that one county should have modern facilities to promote an event culture, but another county should not? In a perfect world, with unlimited funds, all 32 counties should have a modern state of the art facility. If Cork gets one, why shouldn't Leitrim, or Carlow, or feckit, the Aran Islands, get one too?

At the end of the day, there aren't unlimited funds available to built new stadia, or renovate all the old ones to a high level. So criteria such as how much use will a new stadium get, how many big games will it host etc etc should be in place, before building projects are green lit. Tough questions should be asked & if people don't like that....too bad !

If we don't, more white elephants (and the new Pairc will be one imo) will just proliferate.

A modern stadium for each province built in the biggest cities seems seems acceptable.

Don't know where you get the idea that Leitrim is going to start demanding a 25k stadium because one is built in the largest urban centres....Jesus Christ :rolleyes: frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

but casement is getting a heap of cash from the northern ireland government (65million stg), and the multisport aspect is dealt with in that Windsor and Kingspan park also got tens of millions.
    They tried to get a single multisport stadium by the former maze prison, right by the M1 and right on a rail line, but for all sorts of reasons nobody was happy with the idea except the GAA.

I see there's a number of public transport conditions attached to the casement redevopment, i.e. park and rides & coach travel as part of the ticket price, so (keeping a little more on topic!) it might be an example for future GAA stadium development like the proposed new stadium in South Dublin

Doesn't matter how much funding its getting if its going to be a millstone round the neck of the association for the next 100yrs. No one wants to use it, no one will use it. Another 2 game a year stadium with the tumbleweeds blowing through for 363 days.
    Its like this rugby world cup where all of a sudden the GAA/government will be piling money into stadiums so the rugby crowd can have their show piece and we're left servicing the cost of running the poxy white elephants.
    The money they could put into grassroots is frightening if the mickey swinging could be called to a halt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

No one is arguing that counties shouldn't have nice stadiums, its the size of the stadiums that's in dispute. 7-10,000 is more than enough for 95% of counties. Build it well, have good facilities and build an atmosphere around the games. That's how you build a product. Look at rugby. Leinster started in Donnybrook, moved to RDS and play games in the Aviva when needed. They didn't build the Aviva and then stick Leinster in there regardless of the game as the atmosphere would suck and the product would suffer.
    Connaught only has 7000 but the place is hopping and people climbing over one another for tickets. That's far more desirable than 5000 in a 30k capacity ground with nothing but bare concrete for company

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 WindomEarle

This would be about 5 minutes away from Tallaght Stadium used by Shamrock Rovers, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Stoner wrote: »

But I can't see why CP can't be the Leinster venue

i guess Croke Park probably costs too much to open for crowds of 15,000-20,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

This would be about 5 minutes away from Tallaght Stadium used by Shamrock Rovers, right?

That's right. Bad planning in the past should encourage us to make less mistakes in the future.

The idea of a 25,000 all seater stadium in Dublin makes sense, but only if it is used regularly. My definition of used regularly is by ensuring it's 50%+ filled 15 - 20 times a year. The only way that is going to happen is by partnering with other sports, i.e. Soccer and Rugby, or other counties.

Leinster seem to have their house in order with Donnybrook, RDS and Aviva available to them, depending on the nature of the match. You could argue that the RDS is less than perfect, but it's imperfections are masked by the fact of it's location in the heart of rugby's home in Dublin.

From a soccer perspective, the numbers are worse. Less than 1,000 people went out last Monday week to see Dundalk and Cork play in their respective fixtures (Clashed w Utd/Pool). Bohs and Shels are teaming up with Dublin City Council to redevelop Dalymount. Rovers have their home in Tallaght. Average attendances in 2016 in the league are around 1,600. Of the Dublin clubs, only Bohs and Rovers exceed that average.

Realistically neither soccer, nor rugby, offer a suitable partnership option for the GAA.

The only alternative is to partner with our neighbours within the GAA (Kildare, Wicklow, Meath, Louth). A Leinster GAA stadium in North East Kildare, or South East Meath, for the use of Dublin, Meath and Kildare would probably be more suitable. However no matter where it's located, it's use will be objected to by participating counties on the basis that it's difficult to reach from the opposite ends of the county.

Using the Spawell site as a southside equivalent of the Abbottstown from a training pitch and game pitch perspective, is a good idea. Whether there is any need for a 25K all seater to go with it needs serious examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Paulzx wrote: »
    What's the Dublin County Board got to do with building houses????

I'm confused:confused:

Nothing. The point was they don't need this vanity project, and the place they were going to buy to build it could be put to much better use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Nothing. The point was they don't need this vanity project, and the place they were going to buy to build it could be put to much better use.

It's a completely spurious comparison. There are plenty of negatives about this plan but your one is irrellavent. There's no shortage of zoned building land in Dublin. The problem is developers wont build on it until the house prices go higher.

The Dublin County Board doesn't need to nor should it make a decision on the Spawell project on the basis of housing needs. It needs to make it's decision on the bases of GAA needs.

Paulzx wrote: »
    It's a completely spurious comparison. There are plenty of negatives about this plan but your one is irrellavent. There's no shortage of zoned building land in Dublin. The problem is developers wont build on it until the house prices go higher.

The Dublin County Board doesn't need to nor should it make a decision on the Spawell project on the basis of housing needs. It needs to make it's decision on the bases of GAA needs.

It isn't spurious it is just taking a look at the bigger picture. The gaa is supposed to be the game of the people. Well spending a shedload of the people's money on a vanity project that there is no need for, in a place that could be used to help relieve one of the biggest issues that those same people are facing, doesn't seem like a very gaa-esque thing to do.

But Im not suggesting that Dublin county board build houses. Im suggesting that they realise they don't actually need this in the slightest, and maybe redirect the money to clubs and club projects where it is actually needed - those same clubs that raised a large percentage of it in the first place by the way.

Although, when you think about it, isn't something like building houses exactly what the gaa (all gaa, not Dublin before you say it) should be looking to get involved in? Wouldn't that be in line with the whole amateur ethos, i.e. put something back into the community? Man city are building 6000 homes in Manchester, and that money is coming from the gulf. We raised the money the gaa is operating on. Maybe a breakeven/small profit project for the benefit of the people is in fact exactly what they should be doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

It's simply a case of Dublin either:

(a) playing all home games in the league and championship in Croke park,
    or
    (b) Building a stadium that fulfils this requirement and playing there.

I see the DCB have gone for option (b), seems reasonable to me.

Jaden wrote: »
    It's simply a case of Dublin either:

(a) playing all home games in the league and championship in Croke park,
    or
    (b) Building a stadium that fulfils this requirement and playing there.

I see the DCB have gone for option (b), seems reasonable to me.

Would you not think option (a) (with the condition that the money is spent on the clubs instead) would be a far better option for all involved? Especially when you consider that the championship games will be in croke park anyway, as the new stadium will only hold 25000... It seems like a lot to spend on a place to play about 3 league games and maybe one championship games a year...

Would you not think option (a) (with the condition that the money is spent on the clubs instead) would be a far better option for all involved? Especially when you consider that the championship games will be in croke park anyway, as the new stadium will only hold 25000... It seems like a lot to spend on a place to play about 3 league games and maybe one championship games a year...

No, I don't think that. I think a fit for purpose county ground for Dublin is a good idea. Not having one is something that has never sat well with me personally.

No, I don't think that. I think a fit for purpose county ground for Dublin is a good idea. Not having one is something that has never sat well with me personally.

So you are willing to forgo massive meaningful investment for clubs who need it, to instead waste the sum on building something that there is 0% requirement or need for, because of how it sat with you...

kim jong-un was never in it...

So you are willing to forgo massive meaningful investment for clubs who need it, to instead waste the sum on building something that there is 0% requirement or need for, because of how it sat with you...

kim jong-un was never in it...

I see. So agreeing with a County Board on a strategic decision they have planned for and made, concerning development of a county ground for that county, is akin to being a dictator? A smidge of a leap there, but whatever makes you happy.

Have you considered running for GAA president, (with maybe chairman of the DCB as an interim step)?

I assume now that we as a county have been suitably castigated by your good self, that you will now post your dire objections to the circa 12 Million redevelopment of McHale Park - money that could have been better used to develop Mayo Hurling?

I see. So agreeing with a County Board on a strategic decision they have planned for and made, concerning development of a county ground for that county, is akin to being a dictator? A smidge of a leap there, but whatever makes you happy.

Have you considered running for GAA president, (with maybe chairman of the DCB as an interim step)?

I assume now that we as a county have been suitably castigated by your good self, that you will now post your dire objections to the circa 12 Million redevelopment of McHale Park - money that could have been better used to develop Mayo Hurling?

Why do you agree with them though? I don't really care about hearing what someone else thinks - why they think it is what is important. Can you go into that? Ive given you the reasons why it doesn't make sense. You would really need to counter these to be taken seriously...

As for redeveloping McHale park, unfortunately this was upkeep that was required on the ground and that comes with the territory of having an old stadium. Did they spend too much? Well maybe, I know Id have been more frugal on that front, but regardless of that, they would still have had to spend a sizeable amount. However, if croke park was in mayo, Id have no interest in spending money on a different stadium to be honest with you. Why waste it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Why do you agree with them though? I don't really care about hearing what someone else thinks - why they think it is what is important. Can you go into that? Ive given you the reasons why it doesn't make sense. You would really need to counter these to be taken seriously...

Just on this, you've not actually given the reasons why it doesn't make sense, you've given your opinion on why you think it doesn't make sense. They're two very different things.

In my opinion, the development of a new stadium and associated Centre of Excellence does make a lot of sense, indeed, clubs through-out Dublin will be able to avail of the facilities.

There's also the fact that barring the senior football team, most of the Dublin teams will struggle to fill Croke Park for anything but the biggest games. Parnell Park is too small, and Croke Park is far too large, but the hurlers and the ladies are thrown in there regardless, and a half (or even mostly) empty stadium really sucks the atmosphere and support from a match.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just on this, you've not actually given the reasons why it doesn't make sense, you've given your opinion on why you think it doesn't make sense. They're two very different things.

My opinion, backed up with pretty solid logic. Im not stating it as fact, but obviously anyone debating it would need to be countering that solid logic. If that were to happen then fine, Id accept that. That hasn't happened yet though.
    In my opinion, the development of a new stadium and associated Centre of Excellence does make a lot of sense, indeed, clubs through-out Dublin will be able to avail of the facilities.

First off, is there definitely a COE in the plan? I have heard mixed reports. Secondly, there is already a brand new centre of excellence in Dublin... Why cant they just avail of that one?

There's also the fact that barring the senior football team, most of the Dublin teams will struggle to fill Croke Park for anything but the biggest games. Parnell Park is too small, and Croke Park is far too large, but the hurlers and the ladies are thrown in there regardless, and a half (or even mostly) empty stadium really sucks the atmosphere and support from a match.

Well that may be the case, but getting a bit of a better atmosphere is hardly worth all that cash in fairness is it? Im sure clubs could put that money to much better use than generating a bit of an atmosphere at the few games that will bring in too big a crowd for parnell park... Like you would want around 18,000 in a 25,000 stadium to create a decent atmosphere, how many games will generate this?
    Mayo club finals are played in McHale park, and that wont be filled or anywhere near it, but everyone goes to the stand and the atmosphere isn't too bad when everyone is together. That definitely isn't reason to build a second stadium though. How often does Parnell park actually sell out for club games etc, out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I would point out that Leinster Rugby, which is a unit of the IRFU who own the Aviva, plays their less important games in the RDS rather than the Aviva stadium which they essentially own. So theres already a precident of a prominent team in Dublin downsizing despite a large and modern stadium being there to host their games, if they wanted it .

from a general GAA point of view, for Dublin to play in Croke park would indeed make more sense as then the greater organisation gets rent off Dublin for their league games and smaller Leinster ties, so croke park stadium is better financed for running costs and ongoing renovations and more cash goes to the other counties eventually from a greater profit.

on the other hand, from Dublin GAA point of view, having a medium sized stadium in the south of the city where most league games can be held makes heaps of sense as youre saving on rent to the GAA / Croke park ltd and hosting games in a stadium with a far better atmosphere. Youre also generating interest in the game on the south side of the city compared to currently when both Croke park and Parnell park are on the northside.
    I'd not worry about Dublin filling their stadium and making it pay, the hype of having a new stadium in a big city should mean full attendances at most games for the first good number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I would point out that Leinster Rugby, which is a unit of the IRFU who own the Aviva, plays their less important games in the RDS rather than the Aviva stadium which they essentially own. So theres already a precident of a prominent team in Dublin downsizing despite a large and modern stadium being there to host their games, if they wanted it .

from a general GAA point of view, for Dublin to play in Croke park would indeed make more sense as then the greater organisation gets rent off Dublin for their league games and smaller Leinster ties, so croke park stadium is better financed for running costs and ongoing renovations and more cash goes to the other counties eventually from a greater profit.

on the other hand, from Dublin GAA point of view, having a medium sized stadium in the south of the city where most league games can be held makes heaps of sense as youre saving on rent to the GAA / Croke park ltd and hosting games in a stadium with a far better atmosphere. Youre also generating interest in the game on the south side of the city compared to currently when both Croke park and Parnell park are on the northside.
    I'd not worry about Dublin filling their stadium and making it pay, the hype of having a new stadium in a big city should mean full attendances at most games for the first good number of years.
    Leinster rugby do not at all essentially own the RDS. They are tenants to the Royal Dublin Society. They play all bar 2 games, that they are guaranteed each season, in the RDS and the sole reason they have 2 regular season games in the Aviva is the deal with the RDS was made when the Italians were not part of the celtic league.
    Leinster dont downsize by playing virtually all their games in the RDS. Playing more in the Aviva would be a waste and doesnt look as good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

My opinion, backed up with pretty solid logic. Im not stating it as fact, but obviously anyone debating it would need to be countering that solid logic. If that were to happen then fine, Id accept that. That hasn't happened yet though.

Again though, it's only pretty solid logic in your opinion.
    First off, is there definitely a COE in the plan? I have heard mixed reports. Secondly, there is already a brand new centre of excellence in Dublin... Why cant they just avail of that one?

Nothing has been announced, and won't be until they apply for planning, but the general thought is that it will include the CoE.

The National Games Development Centre is not the same as a CoE, and was set up to encourage the games throughout the country, not just Dublin. In fact, the Dublin based Mayo players train there once a week.
    Well that may be the case, but getting a bit of a better atmosphere is hardly worth all that cash in fairness is it? Im sure clubs could put that money to much better use than generating a bit of an atmosphere at the few games that will bring in too big a crowd for parnell park... Like you would want around 18,000 in a 25,000 stadium to create a decent atmosphere, how many games will generate this?
    Mayo club finals are played in McHale park, and that wont be filled or anywhere near it, but everyone goes to the stand and the atmosphere isn't too bad when everyone is together. That definitely isn't reason to build a second stadium though. How often does Parnell park actually sell out for club games etc, out of interest?

As has been stated, the money from Croke Park goes into the central GAA coffers, with Dublin having to pay to rent the stadium. Having a Dublin GAA owed stadium will mean more money to invest in Dublin clubs in the long run. It'll also be a lot cheaper to run matches there, with no street closures, less policing, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Dublin should have it's own county ground that is fit for purpose, PP falls short on this. A 25,000 stadium is just about right imo. Probably more capacity that is currently needed but it allows growth. The location is good, being a stones throw from the M50. Public transport can and should improved up for matches.

There's far more to it then the senior mens team. Club teams, the County Hurlers, Women and Underage should have a decent modern home.

I've returned to Mayo so I'm not using the driving range anymore. Fire ahead, I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Getting out to Lucan is a bit of a trek, for me. I'm willing to soldier on,

Not sure if Im taking you up wrong but you do know that the spawell is nowhere near Lucan its in Tempelogue. Its around the corner from Ballybodens clubhouse and beside Faughs and St Judes.
    Are you thinking of the Spa hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

salmocab wrote: »
    Not sure if Im taking you up wrong but you do know that the spawell is nowhere near Lucan its in Tempelogue. Its around the corner from Ballybodens clubhouse and beside Faughs and St Judes.
    Are you thinking of the Spa hotel?

Yeah, already been pulled up on that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Anyway regards the site its got great access by road with an M50 jct a few hundred yards away but not great public transport although there is a bus terminus close by so presumably something could be easily done as specials. I imagine that there are very few land banks inside the M50 that have as much room and I think I remember something a few years back regards its zoning that it can't be used for housing it has to be recreation but obviously such things in this country are open to kick backs. It would be large enough for a stadium several pitches and gym facilities, offices etc and still have room for a big carpark. It also has very few neighbours too close with the dual carriageway down one side, Tymon park around 2 sides and a cemetery across the road, I would assume the stadium would be toward the m50 side of the land keeping it well away from the nearby houses.
    Ideally this would all be closer to the city centre but the reality is the only land I can think of that would fit is the IGB land near ringsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Would there be any logic in ground sharing in the Tallaght stadium? I know the pitch would need to be expanded and additional work on exsisting stands plus terrace/Seating behind the goals but a multi-purpose stadium just seems more sense.

Build a nice center of excellence in Spawell instead.

Ground sharing with Leinster Rugby would be ideal but i doubt they will move from RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Would there be any logic in ground sharing in the Tallaght stadium? I know the pitch would need to be expanded and additional work on exsisting stands plus terrace/Seating behind the goals but a multi-purpose stadium just seems more sense.

Build a nice center of excellence in Spawell instead.

Ground sharing with Leinster Rugby would be ideal but i doubt they will move from RDS.

Ooh wasn't there a big row over tallaght stadium when it was being built? The club out there wanted it to be a gaa stadium as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

By that logic, the GAA shouldn't invest money in Castlebar, Salthill, or Markievicz Park so!

Advertisement