Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cremation or Burial?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

USA at the time..our friend died early 40's.
    He was cremated..ashes were got back about a week later..a get together of his friends was arranged and "he" was there. Strange as it may sound we all had a great night and kind of spoke to him as if he was there. He would have loved it!
    His parents had moved away but his siblings still lived where he grew up so they spread his ashes in two different places so they both have a place to remember him at..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Donate
    Has anyone here ever heard of the cartoonist Terry Willers?
    Well, engraved on his headstone is the line "I told them I was sick". ....

not a spike milligan quote??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Haha. What's keening when it's at home?

Wailing /crying for the dead.

I kinda remember reading somewhere of local women being paid to keen at funerals that may not have had many people attending (or who possibly wouldn't be missed by too many). Might be an urban/rural myth.

I know some people get comfort from it, but the idea of embalming is very upsetting to me. Don't fill my corpse with formaldehyde, either cremate me or let me follow the course nature dictates naturally. Embalming strikes me as a way of just denying what death is, and that's futile imo.

Cremation for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I've come across people who were buried standing up. One of them was a landowner and this form of burial allowed him to ''survey the land'' from his resting place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Burn 'em, Bury 'em or Eat 'em :pac:

Donate
    I'm no good at standing up , I need a seat after a while so that's no good for me that standing up burial :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TOEJOE

watched a good thing on UK TV once about cremation - some times they wait until they have enough ashes to put in the urn. I think it was that one body doesnt produce that much ash really when its burnt in such high temperature that sometimes the person who gets the urn could have someone else ash mixed in with their loved one ..
    I would not mind is she was good looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I want to be cremated and then snorted by the grandkids.

Donate
    Sciprio wrote: »
    I want to be cremated and then snorted by the grandkids.

I would advise letting the ashes cool first :eek: ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Cremation
    Simple one Granddad have bought a family grave so that's where I go
    Was his last will in one grave with his wife, children and grandchildren
    We all have respect for his last will

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Burial will be fine, but only for what's left after the medical students have had a good rummage around inside. Hopefully they will be able to stop laughing for long enough to learn something from my internals.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I won't get into a lift so I'm sure as fcuk not happy with a coffin.

Cremation me up.

Donate
    mdwexford wrote: »
    I won't get into a lift so I'm sure as fcuk not happy with a coffin.

Cremation me up.

Going Down! ....

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Are there any above ground burials in Ireland any more ? There are such vaults mostly belonging to famous families of a bygone age, but are there any current ones ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How about cryogenic freezing? Heard about it on TV a few days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Burial. I'm going to be buried with my dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Burial. I'm going to be buried with my dad.

Same. I like the idea of resting next to loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't care what happens to me as long as those saying goodbye have a good day out. That's what funerals are for after the planting/cremation right?

Our family has a double grave that will hold eight I think. So far only one has gone in. My lovely Dad, may he rest in peace. We joke that we could make a killing (woops) by selling the space. Dearest real estate in Dublin it is!

Anyway, my sister lived in Cork, sadly she died quite young, and her service was held in Ringaskiddy crematorium. OMG what a setting, she loved nature and that was so fitting for her and husband.

Her ashes are now buried in the family grave with Dad. How nice is that. If you can say that about death, dying and funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Cryogengics
    Anyway, my sister lived in Cork, sadly she died quite young, and her service was held in Ringaskiddy crematorium. OMG what a setting, she loved nature and that was so fitting for her and husband

It's beautiful there. I'm not spiritual or religious at all, but the one time I've been to the crematorium in Ringaskiddy was such a moving experience. Possibly the most beautiful funeral service I've ever attended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It's beautiful there. I'm not spiritual or religious at all, but the one time I've been to the crematorium in Ringaskiddy was such a moving experience. Possibly the most beautiful funeral service I've ever attended.

+1, it's a lovely space. I attended a lovely humanist service there a few years ago and it was a fitting tribute to the deceased lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Cremation please.

I'd like my ashes to be scattered at the cliffs at Dunlicky near Kilkee, where I have been fishing countless times.

But the winds would likely turn that into a Big Lebowski ashes moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Suppose cremation, Not really bothered either way. Hopefully everyone will have a good time and celebrate my life not my death, but who knows ?

Donate
    i'd like to be as much of a pain in the arsé in Death as I was in Life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Donate
    Poll added. Put options I could remember off the top of my head. Room for more choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Donate
    Cremated.
    Then scatter my ashes in the crisps aisle of my local Tesco.

Donate
    I would like to hope that I be cremated and my wife would have my ashes in some kind of container (maybe Tupperware, but only when the ashes have cooled down of course) and put it in her handbag and carry me around here and there - take me with her when she goes on holiday, sit me in front of TV when Corrie, Eastenders and FC is on .... cant do that if i'm so many feet buried in a casket can ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I would like to hope that I be cremated and my wife would have my ashes in some kind of container (maybe Tupperware, but only when the ashes have cooled down of course) and put it in her handbag and carry me around here and there - take me with her when she goes on holiday, sit me in front of TV when Corrie, Eastenders and FC is on .... cant do that if i'm so many feet buried in a casket can ye?

Just have a tablet buried with you. One of those power blocks too to keep it charged. Job done.

Donate
    KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Just have a tablet buried with you. One of those power blocks too to keep it charged. Job done.

yeah but any broadband? - all that mud and worms and wood and brass handles might all block the signal.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Fire me out of a big cannon when I'm gone. Or a catapult..that'd be ace.

Advertisement