Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cremation or Burial?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Donate
    I just checked out this

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/after_a_death/cremations.html

I dont see Galway listed now - I see a couple of dublin ones and Cork and one in Cavan.

3 hours bloody trip for me to Dublin on the train (do they accept stiffs?) , something like 42quid on irish rail. Mind u I would only need a one way ticket so at least it should be cheaper fare :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Cryogengics
    Andy - nice trip to Dub for all the relatives though: do a bit of shopping; see the sights; followed by drinks in Coppers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ideally, I wouldn't want a funeral or any kind of ceremonial fuss. Given my own absolute hatred of having to attend funerals, weddings, christenings, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, etc, a non-event would be most appropriate. Cremation or burial? I don't mind - whichever causes the least amount of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Cremation for me. I have a terrible fear of being buried alive.

Donate
    I would say - anyone who feels claustrophobic or or a bit panicky of enclosed places in real life might want to consider cremation instead .... theres not much room in them there coffins!

• Advertisement

Donate
    What is the Catholic stance on cremations?

- i see reading a bit on the citizen advice page the Orthodox Judaism and Islam religions do not permit cremation it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

storker wrote: »
    Cremation for me. I have a terrible fear of being buried alive.

But not burned alive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Spring loaded coffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I'll be dead so don't care what they do with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

What is the Catholic stance on cremations?

They're not that fond of it, but they tolerate it. I can see their point - Imagine if Jesus had been cremated... "On the third day, he smouldered again in accordance with the scriptures". We'd get toasted communion at mass though, which would be nice.

• Advertisement

Been to dozens of burials. Not for me. I think my father had the same idea. One of his final wishes when he passed in 2014 was to be cremated. We had him cremated in Ringaskiddy in Cork. This might sound strange but its such a nicer more dignified way to finish your final journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Cremation or Burial - what would you opt for?

I personally want to be cremated, I dont want to be worm fodder when I pop me clogs.

But the mrs tells me good luck with that, you can pay because its supposed to be expensive and i think only Dublin & Galway offer cremation

Just reading the other week that a Sligo cemetery is running out of space for plots or will be soon and will need expanding... taking up more land.

Land is valuable, shouldn't it be for building on rather than burying people in it?

Unfortunately the planners wouldn't allow a crematorium in Ovens, Co. Cork - if they had, that would have been my choice. :)

But they do have one in Ringaskiddy.

For burial, the new Kilternan Cemetery Park is a wow! - Prices start at 7k and 10k for a corner plot. (yep, a house developer is involved - park homes)

And there's no truth to the rumour that the ovens crematorium had the slogan "you kill em, we grill em" planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Tonight, at Glasgow Crematorium; Robbie Burns! See also Elizabeth Fry and Robert Browning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Compromise with the missus! Tell her that you don't mind being buried standing up. Saves both land and money.

Winners all round...well ,excepting yourself...R.I.P. Andy from Sligo.

Remember me in your will...I did save you money...10% of the savings made as a consultancy fee.

For 20% I'll throw in a bit of keening.

Donate
    Lucy8080 wrote:
    For 20% I'll throw in a bit of keening.

Haha. What's keening when it's at home?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Donate
    Cremation. Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Please don't bury me
    Down in that cold cold ground
    No, I'd druther have "em" cut me up
    And pass me all around
    Throw my brain in a hurricane
    And the blind can have my eyes
    And the deaf can take both of my ears
    If they don't mind the size
    Give my stomach to Milwaukee
    If they run out of beer
    Put my socks in a cedar box
    Just get "em" out of here
    Venus de Milo can have my arms
    Look out! I've got your nose
    Sell my heart to the junkman
    And give my love to Rose

Give my feet to the footloose
    Careless, fancy free
    Give my knees to the needy
    Don't pull that stuff on me
    Hand me down my walking cane
    It's a sin to tell a lie
    Send my mouth way down south
    And kiss my ass goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

We had my mother cremated last year. It's not really more expensive. Theres no where in Galway though. We had to send her up to Dublin. Also it takes a few days for everything up there so we didn't get the ashes back for about a week.
    I'd definitely be cremated too. Bit ****ty if someone didn't respect your wishes and had you buried if you wanted to be cremated and vice verse.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Skyfarm

aside from the question ,there is a serious problem in Ireland with the cost of funerals ,6,000 euro for the bare minimum funeral is scandalous

Burn me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Gael23 wrote: »
    Firstly cremation is far cheaper than burial.
    I don't like the idea of cremation. When your cremated there's nothing left of you whereas when you finish decomposing there will always be some trace of you in the ground.

ActuallY there is bone left after the burning process. That's why they have a grinder which is used to grind down the ash and bone down to an fine dust.

There are crematoriums outside the cities, one opened in Cavan recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I live in hope I will become a person of some stature some day so I'd have to choose a conventional grave so that people could say "learn_more would turn in his grave if he heard that ...".

In the old day they had to put bells above ground because people werent properly dead after all. They buried someone and the next day the guy was alive and rung the bell!
    !

That couldn't possible be true I think your having us on , haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

learn_more wrote: »
    I live in hope I will become a person of some stature some day so I'd have to choose a conventional grave so that people could say "learn_more would turn in his grave if he heard that ...".

That couldn't possible be true I think your having us on , haha.

Yea the whole thing about the bells is true, there was also "dead hospitals" for a while too where the dead were brought and put in beds for a few days in case they came back to life, think I read that for the years they were open not once did anyone come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Both my parents were cremated last year and this may sound petty but having to buy 2 coffins for them to be burned didn't sit right with me.

There are options in the UK to rent a coffin for the ceremony. You can even rent your burial ploy for 60 years over there, after that, youre taken out and someone else moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I want whatever my loved ones want. It won't matter to me. But cremation would be my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why do people spend thousands on coffins after all they will never again be seen and will rot in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I'm gonna go with the Ramones on this one....

Twenty twenty twenty four hours to go
    I wanna be cremated
    Nothing to do, no where to go o,
    I wanna be cremated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Burial in an attractive biodegradable paper mache coffin please!

Lots of well wishes/ graffiti written on it (not very traditional), a happy looking coffin :)

Going going, gone . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Cryogengics
    I recently signed up to donate my body to UCC for scientific research. I've never believed in an afterlife, and I pretty much don't care what happens to my body after I die - it's just a lump of meat. It's nice to think it might be of some benefit to others though.

When my kids were in their teens, I'd tell them "feed me to the cat or put me in a black bin bag with the rest of the waste when I die".

After the scientists in UCC have no more use for me, I'll be cremated. Whatever happens to the ashes will be left up to my children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Bury me ...but I dont want my grave to become a shrine for my fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Alcoheda wrote: »
    But not burned alive?

It would be a lot quicker. And it's just pain...with premature burial would come a much longer lasting claustrophobia.

Ideally, I'd have my heart removed before burial. That should do the trick. And another reason to carry an organ donor card...

Advertisement