Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cremation or Burial?

Options
  • 12-10-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

Cremation or Burial - what would you opt for?

I personally want to be cremated, I dont want to be worm fodder when I pop me clogs.

But the mrs tells me good luck with that, you can pay because its supposed to be expensive and i think only Dublin & Galway offer cremation

Just reading the other week that a Sligo cemetery is running out of space for plots or will be soon and will need expanding... taking up more land.

Land is valuable, shouldn't it be for building on rather than burying people in it?

Disposal after death 31 votes

Burial
    0%
    Cremation
    16%
    VonLuckcrossmolinaladItssoeasybranie2Vowel Movement 5 votes
    Donate
    61%
    JupiterKidQwerty?magentisarch_stantonredfacedbearDancorsilvervixen84ThoiedeodubNodsterpillyHellboundIRLfussyonionKen.LaVailIsaacWunderAndy From Sligoleeside11Arbitrary 19 votes
    Cryogengics
    16%
    PherekydesvicwatsonTipperary animal loverRagnar Lothbrok9or10 5 votes
    Sky burial
    3%
    Crazyteacher 1 vote
    Fed to the boards hamsters to keep us going.
    3%
    xtal191 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cryogengics
    Donate to science :p and when your body comes back cremation !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Cremated and a day out for the family on the stenaline to Holyhead, they can scatter my ashes half way

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Cremation is my preference.
    I'm just not into the whole going to the graveyard stuff. I fully appreciate it is beneficial for some, but it's not for me.

However I feel the needs of the people left after me are more important than my opinion, so I think whoever is left after me can make that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

Stuffed and hang me over me fireplace...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

I want to be taken from where ever i die and cremated without any kind of ceremony. I've told people that much already. Whoever wants can flush the ashes down the jax or chuck them in the bin or whatever after that for all i'll care.

Basically, i want to incinerated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Donate
    hairyslug wrote: »
    Cremated and a day out for the family on the stenaline to Holyhead, they can scatter my ashes half way

watched a good thing on UK TV once about cremation - some times they wait until they have enough ashes to put in the urn. I think it was that one body doesnt produce that much ash really when its burnt in such high temperature that sometimes the person who gets the urn could have someone else ash mixed in with their loved one ..

watched a good thing on UK TV once about cremation - some times they wait until they have enough ashes to put in the urn. I think it was that one body doesnt produce that much ash really when its burnt in such high temperature that sometimes the person who gets the urn could have someone else ash mixed in with their loved one ..

Does it really matter at that point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Into the compost bin for me. I love my garden so it seems appropriate.

Donate
    tell u what when your incinerated thats it then , your well and truly dead! - dont like hearing stories of people being buried and the nature of science (or nature) your buried underground and your heart starts beating again! :eek: - no fanks!

In the old day they had to put bells above ground because people werent properly dead after all. They buried someone and the next day the guy was alive and rung the bell!

Especially seeing how quick they bury you over here in Ireland after you've snuffed it - sure you could die here at 8am in the morning and be buried by time the angelus tolls!

Donate
    lawlolawl wrote: »
    Does it really matter at that point?

might do if the ones left behind find out...

plus the other geezer who is mixed with your ashes may have hated boats and be sea-sick or didnt want to be scattered at sea and wanted to be spread out under a rose bush instead...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Donated to science. Them cremation. What they do with the ashes is up to tjem:)
    All organised. I like things in order!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In the old day they had to put bells above ground because people werent properly dead after all. They buried someone and the next day the guy was alive and rung the bell!

Which is where the term "you're a dead ringer of some one" comes from!

Donate
    every County should have a crematorium these days I reckon ...

could even put turbines in them and hook the up to the national electricity Grid network ...

Donate
    antodeco wrote: »

oh yeah , so it does ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'd like a Viking type funeral.

Put me in a small rowing boat, set fire to it and kick me out to sea.

I'd love to the arrange a prank so that 100 yards out to sea I have someone swim out and get in the boat and then jump up in flames screaming they're alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Not sure, if burial then would like a biodegradable coffin like the wicker or cardboard ones.
    May donate body to science, you get returned as ashes, not sure where they would scatter it etc.

every County should have a crematorium these days I reckon ...

could even put turbines in them and hook the up to the national electricity Grid network ...

Don't know about every county but there should definitely be more of them. I hear there are fairly substantial waiting times and costs involved because people still like to be planted and waste perfectly good land for some reason so cremation isn't that popular even though it is the most effective way of disposing of the waste after someone shuffles off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Biscuit
    No - cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Cremation and ashes compressed into a diamond.

http://www.algordanza.com/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Cryogengics
    I'm not into whole grave thing either, and I've been thinking about donating my body to science.

Just hate the thought of a load unwashed hairy students mucking about with me dangly bits. Probably playing marbles with me nuts.

So the bbq is probably best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The OP suggests cremation is pricier, however mostly it isnt, especially in the cities where burial plots are expensive.

Cremation is my choice, regardless of cost, then the ashes portioned out in a couple of places im fond of. Then thats it, no dressing graves or christmas obligations or ongoing costs on my family. Done.

Donate
    Cremation and ashes compressed into a diamond.

http://www.algordanza.com/en/

I want to be cremated and my ashes mixed with dog dry cereal food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'll be buried, with my father. Thoughts of being in a fire and turned to dust is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Firstly cremation is far cheaper than burial.
    I don't like the idea of cremation. When your cremated there's nothing left of you whereas when you finish decomposing there will always be some trace of you in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

antodeco wrote: »

No, no its not!
    It's horse racing terminology.
    Dead ringer means an exact duplicate.
    Here's the link
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dead-ringer.html

Donate
    Gael23 wrote: »
    Firstly cremation is far cheaper than burial.

Ah well thats good to know then
    Gael23 wrote: »
    I don't like the idea of cremation. When your cremated there's nothing left of you whereas when you finish decomposing there will always be some trace of you in the ground.

....and thats good/useful in what way

Donate
    often wondered about people who are right against being cremated and dying in a house fire or something like that (or charging a samsung galaxy note 7 - see what i did there :) )

... I suppose though its not by choice if that happens then ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

tell u what when your incinerated thats it then , your well and truly dead! - dont like hearing stories of people being buried and the nature of science (or nature) your buried underground and your heart starts beating again! :eek: - no fanks!

Especially seeing how quick they bury you over here in Ireland after you've snuffed it - sure you could die here at 8am in the morning and be buried by time the angelus tolls!

There is no documentary evidence of anybody ever being taken alive from a safety coffin; having rung the bell. Indeed, very few were ever used despite many patents over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ah well thats good to know then

....and thats good/useful in what way

Maybe in the future say 500 or so hundred years they might be able to take that tiny bit of DNA and bring that person back to life. Kinda like what could be done with dinosaurs but more advanced

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

AMKC wrote: »
    Maybe in the future say 500 or so hundred years they might be able to take that tiny bit of DNA and bring that person back to life. Kinda like what could be done with dinosaurs but more advanced

That wouldn't be bringing someone back to life. You'd just be cloning them.

Advertisement