Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Let's not forget the ridiculous pay rise for the puppets running the show. We're told there's no money for public sector wage increases yet here we are handing TDs an extra €5000. Why just not give a pay rise to anyone this year outside of the Lansdowne Road Agreement and save that money for something else like employing another nurse to help with our understaffed and inefficient health service?

Please note that any pay restoration that TDs get is the same pay restoration that all public servants get under LRA.

They are NOT getting any special pay rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Geuze wrote: »
    That's RTE for you.

Full of liberal PC-types, out of touch.

Out of touch with what , 1890s backwards thinking bog trotters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

Kal El wrote: »
    You dont know people getting that much, its not possible. Check the going rates and add ons and you will see its not possible. Its just rabble rabble the SW people taking all our hard earned money and living the easy life, when in reality its far from the case. Explain to me exactly how a man with a wife and three kids for example enjoys the good life making 29k a year on SW :rolleyes:

I do know people getting that much, and it is possible. It's not like i claimed every person on SW gets those payments, as i stated in my previous post i know people at the other end of the SW spectrum who struggle to make ends meet and barely scrape by from week to week. 29,000 is by no means the norm but SOME do get it.

Husband on DA, claiming for spouse and 3 kids (402.20p/w), Spouse claiming half rate CA(102 p/w) for one child in receipt of DCA(309.50p/m) - that's just over 29,000 before rent supplement, child benefit and respite grant. Of course there is a medical card and household benefits package with that too.

chasm wrote: »
    I do know people getting that much, and it is possible. It's not like i claimed every person on SW gets those payments, as i stated in my previous post i know people at the other end of the SW spectrum who struggle to make ends meet and barely scrape by from week to week. 29,000 is by no means the norm but SOME do get it.

Husband on DA, claiming for spouse and 3 kids (402.20p/w), Spouse claiming half rate CA(102 p/w) for one child in receipt of DCA(309.50p/m) - that's just over 29,000 before rent supplement, child benefit and respite grant. Of course there is a medical card and household benefits package with that too.

What's the point of this argument, either SW supports people enough to live in a humane way, Or you except poverty and destitution.

Paying someone less then 100% of something means he or she doesn't get it. There's little point to under supporting people , it achieves nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What's the point of this argument, either SW supports people enough to live in a humane way, Or you except poverty and destitution.
    right and what about our far more generous welfare payouts than in other EU countries? are they destiture and poverty stricken there in these other first world far better run eu countries?

how could people live on it, before bertie starting increasing it by double digit percentages every year?

• Advertisement

better run EU countries

Having lived and worked in some, I haven't found too many better ones , different ,maybe , but better , not really

We don't don't do so bad in reality

http://www.thejournal.ie/jobseekers-payments-northern-ireland-republic-comparison-3019455-Oct2016/

right, I want people defending rates here, to take read of the above gem I have just found, I am awaiting responses... And if its that the cost of living is cheaper in northern ireland by anything more than a few percent which it is, is mentioned, when welfare rates are drastically lower, spare me the reply...

their rates to my mind are reasonable...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Idbatterim wrote: »
    right and what about our far more generous welfare payouts than in other EU countries? are they destiture and poverty stricken there in these other first world far better run eu countries?

they have a lower cost of living, hence their wellfare costs won't need to be as high as the costs it will need to cover won't be as high.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    how could people live on it, before bertie starting increasing it by double digit percentages every year?

our cost of living was a lot lower.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

they have a lower cost of living, hence their wellfare costs won't need to be as high as the costs it will need to cover won't be as high.

our cost of living was a lot lower.

It was pointed out earlier that Ireland is the 6th most expensive country in the EU to live yet our social welfare is the highest. Your argument doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm just gonna put this here
    Finance Minister Michael Noonan admits he knew about foster home abuse allegations twenty years ago

Anyone wanna guess about how much Noonan and his various depts over the years have spent on keeping people quiet?

He looks near to death anyway, so there's a few answers dodged at least

• Advertisement

It was pointed out earlier that Ireland is the 6th most expensive country in the EU to live yet our social welfare is the highest. Your argument doesn't add up.
    i was going to reply to the above, thanks for just ending this argument for me. This simplistic "its cheaper up there" yeah it is a few percent, so explain to me the large percentage difference in welfare rates...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hope the **** dies on his way down to Leitrim some day, Natural causes... a sharp chest pain and nobody there to tell him he's not a scumbag for allowing kids to be abused.

He'd be lucky to avoid all the other questions

Mod: banned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Hope the **** dies on his way down to Leitrim some day, Natural causes... a sharp chest pain and nobody there to tell him he's not a scumbag for allowing kids to be abused.

He'd be lucky to avoid all the other questions

That's a bit harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

nhunter100 wrote: »
    So there's not 129k vacancies available. All the sites I checked rough totalling the numbers come to about 35k assuming none of them are duplicates.

An extra 35k working brings more money into the economy, more money means more spending power, more spending means more shops/service spending, means more shops/services in demand etc, means more jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

An extra 35k working brings more money into the economy, more money means more spending power, more spending means more shops/service spending, means more shops/services in demand etc, means more jobs.

Not relevant to the question I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I've smoked 20+ cigarettes per day for over 30 years. If you calculate the amount of tax I've paid on cigarettes over the years, I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have paid far, far more into the system than I'll ever get out of it.

I've been unemployed for maybe three months out of the past 30 years, so I've paid all the other taxes too.

Non-smokers should be grateful for the fact that smokers pay so much tax. We aren't the only ones who use hospital services you know :mad:

Ah boo hoo! All those taxes you pay will go towards yours and others future medical care from smoking that filth! No excuses for not quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Ah boo hoo! All those taxes you pay will go towards yours and others future medical care from smoking that filth! No excuses for not quitting.

Wow..do you take the same view of drinkers?

I'm a smoker and have barely been sick a day in my life. I'm health conscious in every other way and a lot more robust and healthy than some non smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I feel you've missed the post he was replying to.

Also I assume you take the same stance on everyone who drinks alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭conorhal

Well tell us what bad habits you have that we can all tut about and tax? We all have a few.

When everything tots up (your money might pay some medical expenses but your cash won't be funding the pension he won't collect either), smokers are a net gain to the government, this has been shown, but that's not the point, I have a deep unease about a tax system that feels entitled to single out people and bully them based on nothing more than a distates for their activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    Yes they should be €20 as far as I'm concerned. Smokers are a drain on society when they inevitably get ill from it and expect the rest of us to pay for their hospital bills.
    I've smoked 20+ cigarettes per day for over 30 years. If you calculate the amount of tax I've paid on cigarettes over the years, I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have paid far, far more into the system than I'll ever get out of it.

I've been unemployed for maybe three months out of the past 30 years, so I've paid all the other taxes too.

Non-smokers should be grateful for the fact that smokers pay so much tax. We aren't the only ones who use hospital services you know :mad:

I was replying to Musketeer4's comment. Did you read the full thread or did you just pounce on one part of one smoker's comments to allow you vent your hatred?

I've never really understood non-smokers who are so virulently anti-smoker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What do childless people on 30-35k get from this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I was replying to Musketeer4's comment. Did you read the full thread or did you just pounce on one part of one smoker's comments to allow you vent your hatred?

I've never really understood non-smokers who are so virulently anti-smoker.

And a lot of the time, anti smoking non smoking people are drunk tossers or are overweight to obese anyway; both of which are far worse than being a heavy smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

BoatMad wrote: »

Paying someone less then 100% of something means he or she doesn't get it. There's little point to under supporting people , it achieves nothing

Supports people enough that it's not worth their while working and paying tax more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

The fact my mother is now in hospital and has been bed bound for years due to smoking gives me the right to hate it, she quit when docs told her to, after her sister died from smoking related illness as well. Yes I do take the same stance with Alcoholics and drug users, as for my own bad habits I let myself go put on too much weight but low and behold a month in the gym Im down 22 pounds and ill keep going!

Smokers whinging about paying tax on something that will eventually kill or hinder them in older age is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Still fighting over the drippings out the trough lads?.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

chasm wrote: »

Talking about someone drawing DCA and CA is a total different story to someone that refuses to work. I have a disabled son that my wife gets CA for and every penny of that is vital to pay for his private weekly therapy that he needs and doesn't come cheap.

If the government can provide proper public care and a proper place in the school he needs on a weekly basis I will happily hand back that €200 per week.

The fact my mother is now in hospital and has been bed bound for years due to smoking gives me the right to hate it, she quit when docs told her to, after her sister died from smoking related illness as well. Yes I do take the same stance with Alcoholics and drug users, as for my own bad habits I let myself go put on too much weight but low and behold a month in the gym Im down 22 pounds and ill keep going!

Smokers whinging about paying tax on something that will eventually kill or hinder them in older age is pathetic.

We all complain about paying tax on alcohol, don't we?

I've pointed out numerous times in this thread that alcohol is both a greater killer in Ireland than smoking and far, far more expensive to our economy yet every time I do, those who are of the "feck smokers" mentality never seem to have a response to it.

Probably because they drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has the tread got off the whinging about welfare yet and back to the budget.

Every budget and the like the mod's should set up separate thread called....
    moan whinge rant and rage about welfare, and then there should be a separate thread about the budget.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Has the tread got off the whinging about welfare yet and back to the budget.

Every budget and the like the mod's should set up separate thread called....
    moan whinge rant and rage about welfare, and then there should be a separate thread about the budget.
    it's almost as if there's a link between the two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

OldNotWIse wrote:
    What do childless people on 30-35k get from this

Peace and freedom

Advertisement