Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Power - PGA Tour Winner 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Could it be that he’s just simply not good enough....no shame in that as it’s a highly competitive tour.

If he's good enough to shoot good 1st and 2nd rounds then why not 3rd and 4th rounds too?
    Maybe it's common to a lot of the other golfers too. Would courses typically be set up harder for 3rd and 4th rounds? Otherwise it's got to be a mental or fitness thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,341 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If he's good enough to shoot good 1st and 2nd rounds then why not 3rd and 4th rounds too?
    Maybe it's common to a lot of the other golfers too. Would courses typically be set up harder for 3rd and 4th rounds? Otherwise it's got to be a mental or fitness thing?

That's like saying if someone can shoot a good front nine in a monthly medal why can't they shoot a good back nine too.

It's a 72 hole competition for Seamus. He's not good enough right now over 72 holes, simple as that really. Nothing to say it's mental/fitness yet.

There's a reason it's over 72 holes..the best rise to the top..and in a lot of cases, consistently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

callaway92 wrote: »
    That's like saying if someone can shoot a good front nine in a monthly medal why can't they shoot a good back nine too.

Why can’t they?!

AGC wrote: »
    Why can’t they?!

Because golf is played over 18 holes. The front 9 good holes and back 9 poor holes probably just comes down to variance of luck etc.

How often do you read "A round of what could have been" ... Usually down to a drive that went OB or a couple of 3 putts in a row.

It's variance...Maybe down to skills where yes, you are able to play the game, sometimes very well, but that doesn't mean you're a good player in general...maybe down to mental ability etc.

Because golf is played over 18 holes. The front 9 good holes and back 9 poor holes probably just comes down to variance of luck etc.

How often do you read "A round of what could have been" ... Usually down to a drive that went OB or a couple of 3 putts in a row.

It's variance...Maybe down to skills where yes, you are able to play the game, sometimes very well, but that doesn't mean you're a good player in general...maybe down to mental ability etc.

But it doesn’t mean they can’t do it.

If someone can go and shoot level par on the front there is no reason they can’t do it on the back. They obviously have the shots.

Same with Seamus, if he can shoot 66 in first round there is no reason he can’t in the last round. Same course. Yes additional pressures.

He is into his second full season on the tour, people saying he is not good enough really need a reality check.

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    But it doesn’t mean they can’t do it.

If someone can go and shoot level par on the front there is no reason they can’t do it on the back. They obviously have the shots.

Same with Seamus, if he can shoot 66 in first round there is no reason he can’t in the last round. Same course. Yes additional pressures.

He is into his second full season on the tour, people saying he is not good enough really need a reality check.

Yes, but probably not to sustain over an 18 hole period, when it again comes down to variance.

Fair enough they might have the shots in the bag, but there's a reason they don't have that ability to do it shot-in and shot-out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

It's a 72 hole competition for Seamus. He's not good enough right now over 72 holes, simple as that really. Nothing to say it's mental/fitness yet.

There's a reason it's over 72 holes..the best rise to the top..and in a lot of cases, consistently.
    Completely different!
    He's proven he has the ability to play the course twice over on Thu & Fri. Now what changes on Sat and Sun? It's not his ability. 
    I personally think it's the wining mentality. Individuals or teams that have crossed the winning line before retain someting that enables them to repeat their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

Very good 65 today, tied 11th

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Very good 65 today, tied 11th

A top 8 would more than likely get him his card for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A top 8 would more than likely get him his card for next year

Incoming 76, the only player to shoot over par on the day and a tie for 45th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭plumber77

Here's hoping he has a good one. I think anything bar a big blow up will be a positive weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Rikand wrote: »
    Incoming 76, the only player to shoot over par on the day and a tie for 45th

Won't be 76 anyway, pitch and putt course

Blew it again at the end . 3 putted 17 then second shot in the water from the fairway on 18

Blew it again at the end . 3 putted 17 then second shot in the water from the fairway on 18

Hardly blew it - I’d expect 18 is ranked one of the more difficult holes.

A much more positive weekend and a move up the rankings.

AGC wrote:
    A much more positive weekend and a move up the rankings.

He had a great chance to almost have his card .

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Jes, tied 12th, bride would of got him top 10, 157 yards to hole after drive on the 18th, dumps his second in the drink, missed a 3 footer for bird on 17,think he prefers the Webb tour, seems to suffer with the nerves at critical times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Extremely harsh. He is -3 for the day going up the last! Hardly bottled it.

He had a great chance to almost have his card .

I’m sure if you offered him a move up the rankings he takes it.

A lot more to be positive about than critical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It was a mini choke. missing a 3 footer and hitting in the water on the last cost him some serious dollars, needs to close out better but still fair play to him, it'll come hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

Embarrassing performance from a professional.

Missing a 3 footer on the 17th and then into the water from the middle of fairway on 18.

And its not his first collapse.
    He did the same in the last few tournaments last season to miss out on fed ex and an automatic card. And a few more great opportunities for a good finish this year also thrown away.

Has to be a mental weakness.

Nerves?
    Pressure?

• Advertisement

Barnaboy wrote:

He was projected 115 on FedEx points . Birdie 17 par 18 would have got him to projected 112 which will prob be enough whereas now he is projected 119 and gonna need more points

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Barnaboy wrote: »

What is extremely harsh??

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

green123 wrote: »

Missing a 3 footer on the 17th and then into the water from the middle of fairway on 18.

He did the same in the last few tournaments last season to miss out on fed ex and an automatic card. And a few more great opportunities for a good finish this year also thrown away.

Nerves?
    Pressure?
    Embarrassing performance from a prefessional, are you for real? What about the other 100 or so golfers behind him on perhaps the toughest tour in the world?? He moves up to potentially 117 in the rankings, hardly a bad weekend when he started at 125?

Nerves?
    Pressure?

Embarrassing performance from a professional?! Have a break will you

Top 20 in a PGA tour event. The absolute rubbish posted on here is embarrassing.

I wouldn't comment if this was rare or unusual , we all make some mistakes.

But as i have already said he has a history of collapsing at the end of tournaments and at the the of seasons.

He should forget about working on his swing and the technical side of things.

He needs a coach to help him with course management and handling the pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

I wouldn't comment if this was rare or unusual , we all make some mistakes.

But as i have already said he has a history of collapsing at the end of tournaments and at the the of seasons.

He should forget about working on his swing and the technical side of things.

He needs a coach to help him with course management and handling the pressure

May I ask what your profession is?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OEP wrote: »

Quarterback (Works Mondays only)
    Also a Driver (Only sits in the back seat)

Quote: OEP
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Quarterback (Works Mondays only)
    Also a Driver (Only sits in the back seat)

Attack the post not the poster...

I am not the only one who is pointing this out about power.
    Have you read back a few pages?
    And then have a read of the comments from the end of last season. Exactly the same story again. Seems to have learned nothing in the last year.
    He has a huge talent and a great opportunity , it's disappointing to see him not fulfilling his potential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭OEP

It's the way you go about pointing it out. I'm all for reasoned analysis but to call it an embarrassing performance is ridiculous. It's embarrassing to come 16th in PGA tour event?? I'd love to know how good you must be at your job. Yes, he should have closed it out better but there's no need to insult him. Not that Seamus, or anyone else is his position, cares what the likes of us think but I hate the way people think it's fine to go insulting them based on their performance, as if he did it deliberately or something.

What do you mean by he hasn't learned anything? Do you think he's not aware of his short comings last year and not trying to remedy them? He's hardly sitting there thinking, Ah sure I'll aim to get the last card in Q school again this year. It would be wonderful to be like you and be so amazing at your profession and learn from everything, never making the same mistake twice.

• Advertisement

OEP wrote: »
    It's the way you go about pointing it out. I'm all for reasoned analysis but to call it an embarrassing performance is ridiculous. It's embarrassing to come 16th in PGA tour event?? I'd love to know how good you must be at your job. Yes, he should have closed it out better but there's no need to insult him. Not that Seamus, or anyone else is his position, cares what the likes of us think but I hate the way people think it's fine to go insulting them based on their performance, as if he did it deliberately or something.

What do you mean by he hasn't learned anything? Do you think he's not aware of his short comings last year and not trying to remedy them? He's hardly sitting there thinking, Ah sure I'll aim to get the last card in Q school again this year. It would be wonderful to be like you and be so amazing at your profession and learn from everything, never making the same mistake twice.

I don't know why you keep asking about my job, this thread is not about me, its seamus powers name at the top of the page. Again, attack the post not the poster.

I have already said in an earlier post that we all make mistakes. You mention making the same mistake twice. Again as i said earlier i wouldn't be commenting if this was once or twice.
    Power is making these same mistakes nearly every week. Some statistics were previously posted on this thread :

Round 1: 3rd with an average score of 69.13
    Round 2: 19th with 70.0
    Round 3: 65th with 70.22
    Round 4: 149th with 71.31

Something seriously wrong somewhere if you are one of the best on Thursday and Friday and then one of the worst on Sunday.

Advertisement