Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What's dabbing?

What he does at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

lertsnim wrote: »
    What he does at the end

I blank that advert from my mind-I initially get invested, then tune out. IT's a damn shame, it could very well have inspired the aul nostalgia, instead...it inspires cringing.
    Also-the parents 'great' lives before they had kids-it's depressing as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lertsnim wrote: »

Ah, I thought it was a drugs thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,075 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I blank that advert from my mind-I initially get invested, then tune out. IT's a damn shame, it could very well have inspired the aul nostalgia, instead...it inspires cringing.
    Also-the parents 'great' lives before they had kids-it's depressing as hell.

I am still of two minds whether it is a piss take or not ? Surely no one in advertising would think that is a ad worth making ? Have they no pride ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sorry if its been covered but that Bord Gais Hive ad where the father thinks out loud to the baby "dont wake up"....doesnt sit right with me...:o

Oh and every uk christmas ad seems to HAVE TO feature a mixed race family....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jojofizzio wrote: »
    The latest ??electric Ireland?? Ad.....some yoke going on about her favorite cashmere shawl(nawt)that auntie Nora gave her....and subsequently deciding she’s lying....if a fourteen year old carried on like that middle-aged woman nobody would talk to her.....ridiculously age-inappropriate...(and sh1te to boot)
    I actually laughed at that one-is it the one where she traded it in for a foot spa-it plays out like a different advert
    Not sure who it is for, the ad goes on about "making the switch" so think it is electrical as said. (EDIT: its bord gais)

Have only caught it twice so may be wrong, but it makes no sense to me, sounds like the auld auntie knitted the shawl, so how was it traded? not in a shop. Sounds like it is meant to be going on about returning things to a shop or "regifting".

Also foot spas are a traditionally ridiculed crap christmas gift too, yet she is swoping it for one. They are also commonly associated with auld ones. It would have made more sense for the auld biddie to have given her a foot spa and her bringing it back to the shop and getting something like headphones or something more modern that an auld granny would not get.

https://sustainabilityinstyle.com/tis-the-season-to-be-eco-the-art-of-regifting/
    One in four of the survey respondents suggested that some of their Christmas presents would either go unused or be regifted at a later date. With the Australia Institute estimating that these unwanted gifts are worth a whopping $798 million dollars worth of time, money and resources, we should either be celebrating the art of regifting, or seriously rethinking the way we gift.

So what is driving us to give thoughtless and useless gifts (the survey specifically mentions foot spas, remember those, weren’t they wastes of space, who has one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The Vodaphone ad with two kids mam and dad all grinning like maniacs under the Christmas tree . Girl gets phone , boy gets i pod , mam smiles at dad happily bla bla bla
    Is it a pisstake or is it just genuinely awful ?

Was just coming on to post this. The daughter also appears to be wearing a pair of hiking boots and with her pyjamas. Don't even get me started on the dabbing!

Sorry if its been covered but that Bord Gais Hive ad where the father thinks out loud to the baby "dont wake up"....doesnt sit right with me...:o

Oh and every uk christmas ad seems to HAVE TO feature a mixed race family....:rolleyes:

I wonder if that is retaliation for the backlash the Cheerios advert got a few years ago? Advert featured a black father, and white mom, with a little mix raced girl.

Cue Cheerios having to disable comments on their youtube channel, despite the advert being completely harmless. (The bizarre accusations thrown at it-notably from black women with the 'his white wife ain't that special' was horrendous.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Well done Muller. You have managed to exceed your previous abomination of an ad with your new one.

Now featuring a troupe of rapping bears. Cheesy beyond belief.

I still don't get the association between bears and muller either. I would have thought they'd be quite angry raiding a hiker's tent and finding that was the only thing to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Well done Muller. You have managed to exceed your previous abomination of an ad with your new one.

I still don't get the association between bears and muller either. I would have thought they'd be quite angry raiding a hiker's tent and finding that was the only thing to eat.

While I hate the bears at least they don't fall over at the end of each advert and end up with it on their noses.

I vote that we set up a fund so that we can get this Muller yogurt on the nose thing over for good so that Nicole Scherzinger can exercise her fetish with a bungie jump into a vat of Muller Simply Bliss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

The Playstation ads. More precisely, the tagline "for the players". Well; it's a games console. Who else is it going to be for, if it isn't "for the players"?

blueser wrote: »
    The Playstation ads. More precisely, the tagline "for the players". Well; it's a games console. Who else is it going to be for, if it isn't "for the players"?

I think it's a vast improvement on their PS3 adverts-'this is living'.

That actual console features in marketing books as one of the worst products produced by a games company-based on marketing, advertising, costs and everything else.
    Total disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,581 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The cheesy-ness makes that ad.

I like it

I've just seen two ads in the same break using Habanera from Carmen to sell their absolute b*ll****.

One was for electricity, one for some sort of perfume. Neither have even the tiniest connection with this extremely famous and well liked piece of music.

Will you please, please f*ckin f*ck off hijacking other people's talent to make your sh*tty unoriginal bullsh*t ads.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Will you please, please f*ckin f*ck off hijacking other people's talent to make your sh*tty unoriginal bullsh*t ads.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    "Bum! Hips! Heart!

I know how to keep my body healthy, but how do I keep my MOUUUUTH healthy?!?!"

Oral B can feck right off.

Every single shagging time I see this instead of "heart" I say "peppers". Just how many peppers does she eat? Fridge is full of 'em!

Also, the whiny "ididn'tknoworalbmadeatoothpaste" line at the end. Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Using Jackie Stewart is a bit silly anyway. With all due respect to him, he wouldnt be widely known amongst the u30s in spite of his unbelievable sporting achievements.
    Might have said it here a few weeks back but Stewart is a bizarre choice given that Formula one probably isnt as popular as it was for one and two, Jackie's heydey would have been the 60s and 70s and while he was a team owner in the 80s and 90s, many of the youngsters the ad is aimed at wouldnt really know who he is with all due respect to him

where did you come up with the idea/impression that it is aimed at "youngsters", your own posts would suggest it is NOT aimed at U30s. Even the Bowie song which is covered in it is from the 70s. Struck me to be aimed at the 40+ viewers -though perhaps slyly enticing younger people to search to see WTF it was in the ad.

rubadub wrote: »
    where did you come up with the idea/impression that it is aimed at "youngsters", your own posts would suggest it is NOT aimed at U30s. Even the Bowie song which is covered in it is from the 70s. Struck me to be aimed at the 40+ viewers -though perhaps slyly enticing younger people to search to see WTF it was in the ad.

Id imagine that Heineken primarily aims their market at that 25-40 bracket and not youngsters per se. i could be wrong but id imagine that many of that bracket may not have heard of JS. Now you could be right too. I would have thought though that alcohol marketing is aimed at a younger crowd with more disposable income and less sense :)

Apologies for my use of the term youngster its probably not the correct bracket to use it in

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

Bears growl and hungry tummy's growl. And the rappers come from the first ad which uses Rice Rice Baby by Vanilla Rice. I like these ads, bears got the moves.

Is it just me that likes the Boot's advert with 'Only you' playing in the background? It's one of the few that 'appropriates' a song and doesn't make a pigs ear of it. It actually complements it.

• Advertisement

Bears growl and hungry tummy's growl. And the rappers come from the first ad which uses Rice Rice Baby by Vanilla Rice. I like these ads, bears got the moves.

All day, every day.

:D

Is it just me that likes the Boot's advert with 'Only you' playing in the background? It's one of the few that 'appropriates' a song and doesn't make a pigs ear of it. It actually complements it.
    ]

Whats with the fúckin positivity here? :) This is ads we despise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

That ad about Alcohol and greetings.. Annoys the head of me for some reason..

Whats with the fúckin positivity here? :) This is ads we despise :D

Um....okay, uh...I 'hate' how much I like that advert...

Better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That Vodafone ad with the parents remembering past Christmases. Dreadful. The "acting" is so wooden. VF seem to have cornered the market in producing awful ads in recent years; those "Sue the pig" ads were awful.

blueser wrote: »
    That Vodafone ad with the parents remembering past Christmases. Dreadful. The "acting" is so wooden. VF seem to have cornered the market in producing awful ads in recent years; those "Sue the pig" ads were awful.

Sue the Pig held those adverts, together, tbh. The ads moved realy quickly too-one minute yer man was dating this girl young enough to be his daughter (she looked barely in her 20s) the next minute they had pre-teen kids, a house etc...what the hell happened in those months when they first met?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

That ad that starts something like "an ancient story used to tell of tigers rubbing up against <Plant name>" and they use that plant in their cosmetics.

Hopefully this non story **** doesnt get the same traction that calling everything technology did.

A childrens story tells of Jack trading a cow for beans. Buy bachelors beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

any & all Crimbo ads instructing women to sparkle during the festive season. Giz a break - you'll be lucky if I shave me legs - every layer counts in Winter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Lemonposset

The Credit Union ads are hilarious. I've seen the girl at the dentist and the man getting waxed ones so far and I crack up every time. Well done whoever made them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The pampers ads, the woman’s voice grates on me and I’d love to shove a box of pampers down her throat :D

Advertisement