Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I think it's this same young guy doing voice overs for ads. He does one where he says day-da instead of data, and another where he says loddery for lottery.
    Are the youth of today anti-T as well as everything else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

neris wrote: »
    Been watching a fair bit of Tour de France on ITV4 over the last 10 day. Life insurance ads, over 55s funneral cover, equity release scams and cat lotterys are making the ads for three mobile & vodafone seem like oscar winning productions and bareable

Watched a lot ITV 4 during lockdown, reruns of the Sweeney, Professionals etc. The ads are shockingly bad. Those horrible insurance ones with the talking babies, funeral cover, ads about mistreated donkeys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think it's this same young guy doing voice overs for ads. He does one where he says day-da instead of data, and another where he says loddery for lottery.

Hasn't that been an issue for a while... people not pronouncing the 'T's'... Wasn't Gay Byrne getting mad about that?

Correct pronunciation had gone to the dogs.

I know it. 'C'mere to me Dublin'...
    It's on far too often.

Nothing says 'visit Dublin' more than hiring someone who couldn't wait to get out of it.

It's like getting Bob Geldof to do the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Orchids wrote: »
    I've to change the channel when the Vodafone dancing kid comes on, i hate it sooo much & i thought it couldn't get much worse than the Dermot Bannon Vodafone one, but they've surpassed themselves

Wondering has the Vodafone ad with dancing ginger kid been dropped? Havent seen it in a few days and it used to be ubiquitous. Last couple of days Ive seen a new Vodafone ad where they make a bee hive with a 3D printer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wondering has the Vodafone ad with dancing ginger kid been dropped? Havent seen it in a few days and it used to be ubiquitous. Last couple of days Ive seen a new Vodafone ad where they make a bee hive with a 3D printer

Don't tempt fate, it's like the killer is slasher movies that you think is dead but isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Tim76 wrote: »
    I think we should start playing Bad Ad Bingo. Five of these beauties in the same ad break:

1. Monster under the bed one (Three)
    2. Scott's home early (M&Ms)
    3. Just a snog (Malteasers)
    4. Dancing kid (Vodafone)
    5. Aunt effing Viv (Allianz)

All on high rotation. If somebody gets it post "BINGO!" with the time and date ;)

Oh it's ON!! :D
    https://bingobaker.com/

It is what it's.

Nothing says 'visit Dublin' more than hiring someone who couldn't wait to get out of it.

It's like getting Bob Geldof to do the ad.

BUT - and I have to stand up for them on this point - it's a proper Dub voicing it. Not one of those gawdawful Wicklow heads from Fair City trying to put it on.

It is what it's.

Hasn't that been an issue for a while... people not pronouncing the 'T's'... Wasn't Gay Byrne getting mad about that?

Correct pronunciation had gone to the dogs.

Sharon Ní Bheoláin's starded doing that recenly on the news. Bugs the hell oud of me :mad:

It is what it's.

oneweb wrote: »
    BUT - and I have to stand up for them on this point - it's a proper Dub voicing it. Not one of those gawdawful Wicklow heads from Fair City trying to put it on.

But she's not tho. She hasn't lived in Dublin for over 20 years. As for 'passing' (the term for when an actor can put on an accent and it's indistinguishable from a native. Just including that explanation, because passing has multiple meanings) that's kind what of acting is. Or is meant to be.

The unfortunate thing is that Fair City actors are not the best. To put it mildly. (Tho there are one or two who I genuinely think could shine outside of Fair city).

• Advertisement

oneweb wrote: »
    Sharon Ní Bheoláin's starded doing that recenly on the news. Bugs the hell oud of me :mad:

Oh I don't know who it was said it before, but I remember someone saying that you could tell if someone grew up watching Home and Away, or Neighbours, because they have this 'inflection' that sounds like they're asking a question. Like, I don't know what it is, but their voice 'goes up' at the end of every sentence.

And Sharon does that to a damn tee (pardon the pun). Every supposedly straightforward statement sounds like a question.
    For example, If you listen to Sharon reading the news, the end of every second statement sounds like a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Oh I don't know who it was said it before, but I remember someone saying that you could tell if someone grew up watching Home and Away, or Neighbours, because they have this 'inflection' that sounds like they're asking a question. Like, I don't know what it is, but their voice 'goes up' at the end of every sentence.

So Home & Away has given us all Aussie accents? Stone the flamin' crows!

Tim76 wrote: »
    So Home & Away has given us all Aussie accents? Stone the flamin' crows!

It was a whole host of things, but whomever mentioned it to me said that about the accent, and I couldn't unhear it after. I mean, Sharon was about 16 or 17 when Home and Away started. No doubt she watched it. (I think everyone knew some girl who watched that show at one point).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭CoBo55

And Sharon does that to a damn tee (pardon the pun). Every supposedly straightforward statement sounds like a question.
    For example, If you listen to Sharon reading the news, the end of every second statement sounds like a question.

Exactly, it’s so bloody annoying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yes, that is really annoying.

There's also one for Trin-e-dee (Trinity) College on the radio.

Struth!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Like, I don't know what it is, but their voice 'goes up' at the end of every sentence.
    actual wiki page on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_rising_terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Archeron

Listerines new ad.
    Man in bathroom, check.
    Man looking in mirror, just out of bed, check.
    Large donkey over his shoulder that he somehow didnt notice til now, check.
    Donkey obviously has Scottish accent. Check.
    Donkey for some reason cares about other people's dental hygiene.

There must be a connection between Scottish donkeys and dentists that I'm not seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

At Tesco we care about..... profit. It's a large corporation ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

New one out Voxi Mobile sim

Beats the virgin media ones for annoying

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »

Jesus, that's Perf with Surf bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Jesus, that's Perf with Surf bad.

I think Perf with surf has more life behind the eyes.

Archeron wrote: »
    Listerines new ad.
    Man in bathroom, check.
    Man looking in mirror, just out of bed, check.
    Large donkey over his shoulder that he somehow didnt notice til now, check.
    Donkey obviously has Scottish accent. Check.
    Donkey for some reason cares about other people's dental hygiene.

There must be a connection between Scottish donkeys and dentists that I'm not seeing.

See you Jimmy, your breaths only boggin so it is. Hangings too good for people like you. It's a good kick in the arse you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New Asda ad with "pocket tap" interjection is just downright weird..

Lad is like a cartoon character..

Basq wrote: »
    New Asda ad with "pocket tap" interjection is just downright weird..

Lad is like a cartoon character..

Try keeping an eye on your bleedin kids when you're in a busy car park you gonch.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

giphy.gif
    I'm not complaining about that add, but I really dislike those click to close washing pod boxes. For both dishwasher and washing machine, I really hate them. Why you ask? Well I am invariably holding the dishwasher door open trying to fish out one of the pods, or after emptying the washing machine, am holding the clean clothes and trying to put in the pod for the next load.

In my home there are no small children, not likely to be any anytime soon. I really shouldn't need two hands to extract the pod or tablet.

See you Jimmy, your breaths only boggin so it is. Hangings too good for people like you. It's a good kick in the arse you need.
    Away and brush yer teeth ya bawbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

giphy.gif

Going off on a slight tangent here, we use liquid detergent in the washing machine but my mum asked me to open a tub of liquid tabs recently, my first thought when I saw them was if I was a toddler of course I'd want to eat them. Why can't the make them so they don't look like sweets rather than giving people another thing to worry about?
    Detergent manufacturers keep chopping and changing as to what they think is best, in the 90's we had that an annoying Dutch woman telling us to "Put the Ariel into the plastic ball". Then it's back to the chamber, ball again, tabs....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

spookwoman wrote: »

steve strange's daughter ??

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Going off on a slight tangent here, we use liquid detergent in the washing machine but my mum asked me to open a tub of liquid tabs recently, my first thought when I saw them was if I was a toddler of course I'd want to eat them. Why can't the make them so they don't look like sweets rather than giving people another thing to worry about?
    Detergent manufacturers keep chopping and changing as to what they think is best, in the 90's we had that an annoying Dutch woman telling us to "Put the Ariel into the plastic ball". Then it's back to the chamber, ball again, tabs....

No child would eat a dishwasher tablet, they are not very attractive looking and having accidentally tasted the dust from one, they taste horrible. However, the Ariel liqui-tabs look very inviting. I know whats in them and have felt tempted to try one a few times. Brilliant green colours, it looks like a big fruit pastille.

Advertisement