Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Away and brush yer teeth ya bawbag.

That lassie got glessed, and nay c*nt leaves here til we find oot what c*nt did it!

Wait a sec, wrong scene, think that was Shrek.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Oh I don't know who it was said it before, but I remember someone saying that you could tell if someone grew up watching Home and Away, or Neighbours, because they have this 'inflection' that sounds like they're asking a question. Like, I don't know what it is, but their voice 'goes up' at the end of every sentence.

I first started noticing that upward infection thing about 3 maybe 4 years back and it was mainly young girls who were D4 types who were speaking that way. From rubadubs link on the High Rising Terminal it seems its origon was California where it is referred to as Valley Girl Speak so it makes sense it began here with D4 types.

But recently I have noticed it has become virtually ubiquttous among kids of all backgrounds. As is known RTE must be the only national news broadcaster in the world who regularly interviews children as part of their news reports. Earlier tonight they had a piece on girls donating their long hair to make wigs for people with cancer. All the young girls they interviewed used the upward inflection at their end of their sentences which made the statement sound like a question when it wasnt.

Ive also noticed it is creeping into social media, eg earlier today I saw someone on Facebook type 'I'm feeling very tired?'. Its bizarre stuff. I know languages change and evolve but this upward inflection thing is pretty cringey to listen to, you're not sure if they are making a statement or asking a question.

One adult who is the most guilty of it and should know better is Caroline Twohig on the TV3 news. Shes great to watch but actually painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There was a woman on Radio 1 a couple of days ago, I think Claire Byrne slot. She was talking about a theatre in Dublin shes connected with reopening, I cant remember which because all I could focus on was she had the most pronounced upward inflection I've ever heard in my life. I've never heard anything like it, it was just bizarre to listen to, almost like a speech impediment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Tim76 wrote: »
    That lassie got glessed, and nay c*nt leaves here til we find oot what c*nt did it!

probably the greatest piece of film noir :D Laurence Olivier or Carey Grant would have been my personal choice for the roll of begbe :D

I f£#king hate that Hake or Haddock advert.

"Something, exotic?"

I switch over any time its on.

It's awkwardly worded too. It should be "that looks tasty" not "that is tasty".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I f£#king hate that Hake or Haddock advert.

"Something, exotic?"

I switch over any time its on.

It's awkwardly worded too. It should be "that looks tasty" not "that is tasty".

Same....there is something deeply wrong about that woman tho. *shudders*

"How about a curry?!"...fvckin stop saying that!! :p

Seriously, who green lights these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

At that point, you'd be shouting 'Jesus mam-and you're racist too?'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Well having to mute all advertising on twitter using Conor Moore impersonator. Well done to him for doing well but he is not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

That ad with the rapping and the turtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

That ad with the rapping and the turtle.

Song is old but gold - Witness to Fitness by Roots Manuva. I'll probably ended up hating it now though as the ad will be repeated ad nauseam. It's for Ikea IIRC.

• Advertisement

And since when is a curry exotic?

Im in one of the more remote Dublin suburbs and theres still about 6 curry houses in a 2 mile radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Christ, the annoying government Covid ad with the exhortation to download the app "to be one in a million" has jumped to TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And since when is a curry exotic?

The 1950s, when we had nothing but shpuds and prayties. None of that forren muck hi.

The 1950s, when we had nothing but shpuds and prayties. None of that forren muck hi.

Yes. In the 1950's it was super exotic. Not in 2020 in her D4 detached house and she looks like the type to have a villa in Tuscany as well.

Also, Haddock curry? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Indian food only caught on Ireland in the 90s in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Radio5

Bernard and his Babbies for Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Also, Haddock curry? No thanks.

Lol.

Maybe her idea of something "exotic" is a fcuked up combo like curry and haddock! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Lol.

Maybe her idea of something "exotic" is a fcuked up combo like curry and haddock! :p

From someone who likes a curries, fish would be a no no. Prawns yes but not fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Banking ads
    The female runner who sports a house and then becomes delirious.

Every single ad executive who decided a slow stripped back croaky female sang version of a song was a good idea needs to be lined up and shot. And the one who picked Born to be Wild for Volvo needs to get multiple bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Avenmore, the GAA manager in the dressing room trying to psyche up the minor team.
    He's so annoying.

spookwoman wrote: »
    From someone who likes a curries, fish would be a no no. Prawns yes but not fish.

I love fish. I love curry but haddock curry? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Acosta

The latest backing brave ad from the kings of annoying needlessly expensive ads, AIB. Can't stand the voice over. He's sounding way too happy to be working for those fu*kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Christ, the annoying government Covid ad with the exhortation to download the app "to be one in a million" has jumped to TV.

I've a feeling that app will be quietly abandoned in the short term

I've a feeling that app will be quietly abandoned in the short term

It's a very odd app. And I know some folks who've deleted it from their phone.

Beeps randomly, but just creates a weird sense of paranoia too. I dunno, I wear the mask-I feel having an app that tells you 'who's been sick' is a bit odd. We're all being cautious enough as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Like a Bosch - what a way to murder a Lonely Island track :rolleyes: One viewing of it is more than enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Every single ad executive who decided a slow stripped back croaky female sang version of a song was a good idea needs to be lined up and shot. And the one who picked Born to be Wild for Volvo needs to get multiple bullets.

One million percent. Although I'd describe it as breathy, rather than croaky. Damn annoying either way. The one 'singing' Higher Love is one of the worst examples.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Bernard and his Babbies for Lidl.

That flipping advert irritates me to the point of a stomach ulcer...

Who says 'BABBIES' in this day and age? And is it SOOO frikking hard to say 'Babies'?
    Does Bernard have some kind of speech impediment or something, that he can't say 'Baby'?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

That smugg stomach churning asshat from 123.1e

With the fake American Accent (why).

Feel like dabbin the telly with the heel of a Cider Flagon every time he comes on.

Irrational...yes I know ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I really dislike how those ad's for 3 or Vodafone make out that not being able to do things in the real world is ok because "the way we are connecting is changing" and you can "follow your imagination" without leaving your bedroom. It's all a bit creepy.

The 48 ad's have reappeared in the last week. The one from a few months ago with the vacant sounding "zoomer" talking about plastic bags was like a parody. I thought it was hilarious.

The seemingly endless stream of Bank ad's are absolutely awful.

Advertisement