Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Well, music has always had hits or misses-some of the major hit songs of the past never get replayed-for example, this one. (And the only time I heard this song was because someone featured it on a 'one hit wonders-what ever happened to?' video.

Yes, that was a hit song...

So the popular songs of now often turn into the crap of tomorrow.

The one and only reason that I know that song and video is that it featured on Beavis And Butthead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The one and only reason that I know that song and video is that it featured on Beavis And Butthead.

14 seconds in, that's enough of that ****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, that was a hit song...

So the popular songs of now often turn into the crap of tomorrow.
    I remember when it came out, it was very popular alright -popular to utterly ridicule it at that time. Any lad who came into school with say a touch of gel in their hair would be slagged to death "ah would you look at Rico Suave over there, cop on you cnut".

I remember my sister watching the video and mock dry retching at how sleazy he was, like some dirtbird barman in santa ponza

It was considered total crap & cheesy beyond belief back then by anybody I knew.

rubadub wrote: »
    I remember when it came out, it was very popular alright -popular to utterly ridicule it at that time. Any lad who came into school with say a touch of gel in their hair would be slagged to death "ah would you look at Rico Suave over there, cop on you cnut".

I remember my sister watching the video and mock dry retching at how sleazy he was, like some dirtbird barman in santa ponza

It was considered total crap & cheesy beyond belief back then by anybody I knew.

Really? Was it released on this side of the Atlantic? Apart from the time it appeared on Beavis & Butthead I don't remember it ever being played either on the radio or MTV and I was in my teens in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

rubadub wrote: »

And then the dude went on to become a pastor and have a cute daughter who's a model. Not joking. (Daughter's name is Nadia Mejia).

large-1559065812-2bd8f24a33483a99565f578e756a1eff.jpg

Oh so much was considered awful-but still was successful. Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, Gerardo, Limp Bizkit, Alien Ant Farm (Dear God, they were in Ireland recently, weren't they? Awful Band. One hit Wonders, their only hit being a cover-tho I admire Movies for how much of an interesting mess it is), Midnight Oil-Beds are burning,Daniel Powter-Bad day, Afroman-Cos I got high...

So much bad music. It's always been a mainstay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Lacky Lacky Lacky me.....
    Mute or change. Like poison being poured into my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Lacky Lacky Lacky me.....
    Mute or change. Like poison being poured into my ears.

And worse still its a fcuking ear worm!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This is still TV adverts we hate,right?

And then the dude went on to become a pastor and have a cute daughter who's a model. Not joking. (Daughter's name is Nadia Mejia).

large-1559065812-2bd8f24a33483a99565f578e756a1eff.jpg

Oh so much was considered awful-but still was successful. Milli Vanilli, Vanilla Ice, Gerardo, Limp Bizkit, Alien Ant Farm (Dear God, they were in Ireland recently, weren't they? Awful Band. One hit Wonders, their only hit being a cover-tho I admire Movies for how much of an interesting mess it is), Midnight Oil-Beds are burning,Daniel Powter-Bad day, Afroman-Cos I got high...

So much bad music. It's always been a mainstay.

I wouldn't lump Midnight Oil with that lot. They're a decent band with a long career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Apt8 wrote: »
    I keep wondering am I just getting older and grumpier, or is modern music actually just getting steadily more irritating.

Every single ad seems to have music that just makes me want to rip my hair out.

Most modern music is awful drivel. Most ads are woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

in the dreadful center parks ad i keep thinking thr mother is too young. also what is the young lad saying when the mother and father are on the couch with a glass of wine? i cant make it out sound a bit like "better get up ........" something like that . i really think thats odd as hell , like yelling at the mother and father to get off the couch and into bed or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mother of god there's another insurance and... Fella gets his sports car burned to a crisp and lo and behold the kind hearted insurance company give him an exact replacement, in my hole!!!

I wouldn't lump Midnight Oil with that lot. They're a decent band with a long career.

Well, the long career is because the lead singer went into politics. And even Alien Ant Farm and Wheatus are still around.
    Doesn't make em exceptional.

I like Gotye too, but still a one hit wonder (so far). Mike Posner was almost a one hit wonder, with 'Cooler than me'. But then he wrote songs for Maroon 5, and had a follow up hit with 'Took a pill in Ibiza', which he wrote and sang.

There's an advert that uses a cover version of the Biz Markle 'classic' that's odd-cos this song was hardly respected, even if Biz has a lot of respect in the music industry, because he's a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

Dickie10 wrote: »
    in the dreadful center parks ad i keep thinking thr mother is too young. also what is the young lad saying when the mother and father are on the couch with a glass of wine? i cant make it out sound a bit like "better get up ........" something like that . i really think thats odd as hell , like yelling at the mother and father to get off the couch and into bed or what?

Sounded to me it was like "is it get up time yet" could be wrong though....even the radio advert is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Heather Watson:
    "Watch me put up a fight when I have to".

Yeah Heather, that's why you never make it past the 2nd round.

Absolutely sick of seeing that stupid ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

This is more a general irritation than a specific ad but why do tampon adverts always(no pun intended) focus on asses?

It confuses me massively. On one hand women are not meant to be oogled at. On the other hand I am having a professional athletes bum shown to me in HD under the guise of it helping with periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

MrKingsley wrote: »
    This is more a general irritation than a specific ad but why do tampon adverts always(no pun intended) focus on asses?

It confuses me massively. On one hand women are not meant to be oogled at. On the other hand I am having a professional athletes bum shown to me in HD under the guise of it helping with periods.
    I think it's about showing how you can be active in skintight clothes without worrying about leakage or staining if you use this fabulous product. Rather than just say something along those lines (heaven forbid ) you're shown an ass in skintight clothing without an outline of a sanitary pad (fate worse than death) or a blood stain (fate worse than eternity in hell)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I think it's about showing how you can be active in skintight clothes without worrying about leakage or staining if you use this fabulous product. Rather than just say something along those lines (heaven forbid ) you're shown an ass in skintight clothing without an outline of a sanitary pad (fate worse than death) or a blood stain (fate worse than eternity in hell)

Well I hadn’t ever thought of it like that. As it turns out it’s just practical. Fair play Heather. Carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Nobody said Just Eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

flazio wrote: »
    Nobody said Just Eat

Its had an honorable mention here, and as I always point out the suppliers are sometimes bottom of the list when it comes to food hygiene https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/just-eat-food-standards-agency-hygiene-ratings-app-a8589636.html .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The ad for Homestore & More where the son pretends he's not coming coming home for the family get together and then turns up and says 'Surprise'.
    The depressed head on the father is kind of cruel.

Knew someone who have thought the same as me, son is a cruel bollicksss with some kind of sick in the head misery fetish, perhaps he was mentally tortured as a child. If I was the father I'd have faked my death the following day and got it put in to RIP.ie to see what the response would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Sardonicat wrote: »

Thanks to your post I'll now never be able to gaze at a woman's arse without thinking of the information you've provided above.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

That Mc Donald's ad... two stupid looking girls with horrible outfits just back from holidays looking like plebs then stuffing their ugly faces with burgers.... it's good to be home. F OFF you can get Mc Donald's anywhere ye two dopes... ahhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GCIREL

Exactly!!!! The poor dad was devastated all day. Then gobsh1te son making his trip home a big drama. The dad looks so sad. I wish he'd gone away with some pals over night and left his selfish son there with his scalded bbq and stupid accent. I hate him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The plinkety plink music on the AIB ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

madmaggie wrote: »
    The plinkety plink music on the AIB ad.

Blur isn't it?

The BIM add with the Mother look for something "exotic" and the daughter thinking she's on a dating site, only to find out she's looking at fish recipes.

GCIREL wrote: »
    That Mc Donald's ad... two stupid looking girls with horrible outfits just back from holidays looking like plebs then stuffing their ugly faces with burgers.... it's good to be home. F OFF you can get Mc Donald's anywhere ye two dopes... ahhhhhh

I kind of have a laugh at some points of that advert-the bit when they try to unlock the car, and you can see the lights flashing in the background.

But yeah, it's irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

Those ads for SUVs. I'm 38 I'm a father etc. Cringe

Those ads for SUVs. I'm 38 I'm a father etc. Cringe

36, he's younger than that.

The way the kid is talking, makes him sound like he's a grandfather or something.
    ...Which, I suppose in the modern times we live in, he possibly could be. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Dickie10

its a terrible ad, in this day and age very few men aged 36 that are in that position

Advertisement