Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ MOD WARNING POST #1 BEFORE POSTING- Joshua Vs Klitschko

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Klitschko Points
    walshb wrote: »
    Wlad was a winner too last night. Fought hard and more champion like than in previous fights. An adjustment here and there and with a little more urgency when he had AJ hurt and he could have won via KO.

Plus he wasted too many chances by constantly looking to finish AJ with the leaping left hook, that AJ was reading. He should have mixed it and threw the overhand right more when AJ was there to be hurt.

Just watched the fight back again there now. You are right about the left hooks. He kept trying it again and again. On first viewing I thought Wlad took it too easy rounds 7-9 and let AJ back into it. Watching it again he was going fairly hard at Joshua, kept trying to make an opening to get the KO, just couldn't quite get there.

I am still in awe that Wlad stayed on his feet after that uppercut, yes he was dazed what a punch! The ref gave Wlad every chance in 11th. Did his best to gain him every additional second he could to come around even when clearly disoriented after 3rd knockdown. Did the same for AJ in 6th to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Yea joshua the fighter proved himself last night no doubt. I don't get people saying he was exposed, he recovered and won after a heavy knock down.

I see a pic of the post fight press conference and there he is with his beats headfones. What were they there for? He's there to be interviewed not listen to music. He's a walking advertising board, don't get me started on the pedestal he got on for the ring walk or that cringey Lucozade ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Joshua Points
    Nearly an hour after the fight 96 people had predicted a Joshua knockout.

mhbkuw.jpg

As of now it's​ 107

fwsr52.jpg

Well done the 11 geniuses that got it right after the fight finished!
    Your usernames are there in glory forevermore!!:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

mada82 wrote: »
    Yea joshua the fighter proved himself last night no doubt. I don't get people saying he was exposed, he recovered and won after a heavy knock down.

I see a pic of the post fight press conference and there he is with his beats headfones. What were they there for? He's there to be interviewed not listen to music. He's a walking advertising board, don't get me started on the pedestal he got on for the ring walk or that cringey Lucozade ad.

He's probably making a few million to promote the headphones (over priced muck) has no choice but to wear them.

Joshua Points
    Gamebred wrote: »
    He's probably making a few million to promote the headphones (over priced muck) has no choice but to wear them.

There's people going around wearing them and they are getting nothing for it.
    Not such a clown after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Randle P. McMurphy

pac_man wrote: »
    Not sure what way to interpret that ? :D

That doesn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Joshua KO
    And in doing so made himself look just as bad..

He won the fight which was his objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Joshua Points
    qwabercd wrote: »
    He won the fight which was his objective.

What has that got to do with what I said?

He made Wlad look bad? I could just as easily reverse that and say that Wlad made Fury look bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Klitschko Points

He made Wlad look bad? I could just as easily reverse that and say that Wlad made Fury look bad...

Except Wlad didn't, because he couldn't. Do you think Wlad's performance last night was that of a past it fighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Klitschko Points

fury.png

• Advertisement

Joshua Points
    Except Wlad didn't, because he couldn't. Do you think Wlad's performance last night was that of a past it fighter?

I'm not with you..

My simple and clear point was regarding Fury making Wlad look bad in their fight. I didn't disagree with that. I actually agree with it. But I also said and believe that Fury looked just as bad, hence I can reverse/apply the statement and say that Wlad made Fury "also" look bad.

If you think Wlad didn't make Fury look bad, then maybe Fury just made himself look bad. That works too. It makes no difference, as to me both looked plain bad.

Regarding Wlad's performance last night. I was happy with it. For a 41 year old ring veteran it was good. Technically and visually and physically, yes, he is past his best days.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Interestingly, didn't see David Haye present at the fight at all last night. Thought he was meant to do some work for Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

In the land of the truly miserable, everything is sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Been tipping Wlad in the entirety of the build up. With a bit more controlled aggression he'd have ended it in round 6 or 7 as Joshua was done. Critically he allowed AJ time to recover, probably overconfident and thought he could take his time.

Having said that, all credit to Joshua though he answered some questions about his chin and heart. If he can land some of that offence on Wlad I think he will do it against 99% of heavyweights. A fight with Fury would be terrific, AJ can be outboxed for long periods but can end a fight at any time.

The world is his oyster now, lots of work needed to improve but he has the raw materials. A very exciting heavyweight and some of its down to his vulnerability too. Next step now is to adopt a style to protect his chin, which whilst not glass is there to be tagged hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Really enjoyed that last night.

Regarding a Fury fight I think It would come down to conditioning, and just look at the state of Fury. Yes he will obviously come down but I don't see anything other than Joshua knocking Fury out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Klitschko Points
    I'm not with you..

My simple and clear point was regarding Fury making Wlad look bad in their fight. I didn't disagree with that. I actually agree with it. But I also said and believe that Fury looked just as bad, hence I can reverse/apply the statement and say that Wlad made Fury "also" look bad.

If you think Wlad didn't make Fury look bad, then maybe Fury just made himself look bad. That works too. It makes no difference, as to me both looked plain bad.

Regarding Wlad's performance last night. I was happy with it. For a 41 year old ring veteran it was good. Technically and visually and physically, yes, he is past his best days.

We've been through this before:D Fury winning against Klitschko in Germany was a great achievement, not just because of the result but rather his impressive display in negating Wlad's jab. Wlad became reluctant to throw because he could not deal with Fury 's elusive skills. If you notice last night he wasn't always as fearful to throw because he could get in range to land, this despite Joshua being a much bigger puncher than Fury.

I think Wlad last night was as good as he has been in the last 10 years. His timing and footwork was excellent for a man of 41. I think if Wlad had been in the ring with any other of the other current champions he would have won last night. It could be argued that he lacked the killer instinct when he had Joshua in trouble in round five, but that's nitpicking. Most boxers would have been out for the count after that punch in round six.
    I know you won't want to admit it, but i feel Joshua will beat Fury, because Joshua will just walk through Fury's offense to land. If Fury could punch it might be a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    Blanco100 wrote: »
    Been tipping Wlad in the entirety of the build up. With a bit more controlled aggression he'd have ended it in round 6 or 7 as Joshua was done. Critically he allowed AJ time to recover, probably overconfident and thought he could take his time.

Having said that, all credit to Joshua though he answered some questions about his chin and heart. If he can land some of that offence on Wlad I think he will do it against 99% of heavyweights. A fight with Fury would be terrific, AJ can be outboxed for long periods but can end a fight at any time.

The world is his oyster now, lots of work needed to improve but he has the raw materials. A very exciting heavyweight and some of its down to his vulnerability too. Next step now is to adopt a style to protect his chin, which whilst not glass is there to be tagged hard.

Not picking on you specifically, but just querying the oft-mentioned " he can be outboxed" or "he doesn't have great boxing skills" line.

Vlad didn't outbox him. And that's saying something!

Before any knockdowns from either side, I didn't see him getting outboxed, in fact I had him ahead after four rounds. Obviously the knockdowns made a huge difference in the dynamic of the fight, but even in rounds 7 and 8 when Joshua was in recovery mode, Vlad struggled to land clean on him again. While I agree that Vlad could have gone harder to finish him, Joshua's defense was very impressive in those rounds, considering he was potentially one punch away from disaster.

Once the dust settles down, I'll have another look at it and score it, as after the knockdowns I forgot all about that, it was just a case of 'who's gonna last'. I reckon the judges weren't that far off the mark at all, but of course the cliched "Matchroom decision" gets trotted out again by the same posters again. It will be interesting to see how others score it when they go back and score it round-by-round other than the 'feeling' that Vlad must be ahead because Joshua had been in the more serious trouble.

Joshua Points
    I said it before the fight. Anyone thinking AJ can't box with or win on points will be surprised. AJ boxed with Wlad throughout. More than held his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Klitschko Points
    Wlad won the first couple of rounds on ring generalship alone really. Few punches landed but he dictated it and put Joshua on the back foot. I think you had to have Wlad ahead going into the 11th personally.

Joshua Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Wlad won the first couple of rounds on ring generalship alone really. Few punches landed but he dictated it and put Joshua on the back foot. I think you had to have Wlad ahead going into the 11th personally.
    First 3 rounds I had 1 drawn and 2 to Joshua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Klitschko Points
    blade1 wrote: »
    First 3 rounds I had 1 drawn and 2 to Joshua.

Need to rewatch to be sure but at the time I gave first two to Klitschko, 3rd to Joshua and 4th to Wlad before all the madness ensued in the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Joshua KO
    I said it before the fight. Anyone thinking AJ can't box with or win on points will be surprised. AJ boxed with Wlad throughout. More than held his own.

He'll probably get by in the Heavyweight division because of the total lack of talent. Fury's certainly a better boxer though, by a considerable distance. AJ's power might still win him the fight.

Joshua Points
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Need to rewatch to be sure but at the time I gave first two to Klitschko, 3rd to Joshua and 4th to Wlad before all the madness ensued in the 5th.

Vlad implemented his plan from the start but I felt AJ more than held his own.
    They were fighting Vlad's fight but AJ was dealing with it.
    That was my take on it anyway.

I think if Vlad fought Wilder he would beat him but I think he should pack it in now.
    Not that he is past it but he has nothing to prove and will never reach the heights of his past.
    He can be proud of the effort he gave last night.

Joshua Points
    Lukker- wrote: »
    He'll probably get by in the Heavyweight division because of the total lack of talent. Fury's certainly a better boxer though, by a considerable distance. AJ's power might still win him the fight.

How is Fury clearly a better boxer? In 12 rds against Wlad, Fury could hardly land one single significant punch. His first ever test against a quality foe and he stunk the joint out. AJ landed a fair amount of leather on Wlad, and boxed with him throughout.

Where exactly is this clarity? For me only Fury's feet are better. Nothing else. And last night AJ showed some neat feet when he had to retreat. Neat for a lump of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭section4

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

the only reason he had those burst left was that he was fighting a man of 41 who didn't have the youthfulness to finish him off , no mystery

When vlad had him down and for the few rounds afterwards when Joshua was basically a statue h
    Wlad quite simply did not have the energy to put pressure on him

10 years ago Joshua would have been stopped by vlad

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Comparing it to the Trilla in Manila is crazy. Neither of these fighters would have lasted 3 rounds fighting in 50c temperatures in an arena with suffocating humidity.
    It was a good fight last night, but nothing that the history books will put a gold star beside.
    Klits is well conditioned and still very capable, a rematch would still be a great contest that could go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Joshua KO

How is Fury clearly a better boxer? In 12 rds against Wlad, Fury could hardly land one single significant punch. His first ever test against a quality foe and he stunk the joint out. AJ landed a fair amount of leather on Wlad, and boxed with him throughout.

Where exactly is this clarity? For me only Fury's feet are better. Nothing else. And last night AJ showed some neat feet when he had to retreat. Neat for a lump of a man.
    You constantly overlook he made Vlad look like an amateur. Vlad made AJ look like an amateur last night at times. He's got considerably faster hands than AJ and ring generalmaship.

AJs a limited boxer bit he definitely improves considerably each fight.

Joshua Points
    You constantly overlook he made Vlad look like an amateur. Vlad made AJ look like an amateur last night at times. He's got considerably faster hands than AJ and ring generalmaship.

AJs a limited boxer bit he definitely improves considerably each fight.

And in supposedly making Wlad look like an amateur he too looked like one and stunk the joint out.

He's 6 feet 9. That was a factor in how his sham of a fight played out. Height and reach and movement.

Fury can box. No doubt. For a big man he is very good. AJ for me is a far cleaner boxer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Joshua Points
    Comparing it to the Trilla in Manila is crazy. Neither of these fighters would have lasted 3 rounds fighting in 50c temperatures in an arena with suffocating humidity.
    It was a good fight last night, but nothing that the history books will put a gold star beside.
    Klits is well conditioned and still very capable, a rematch would still be a great contest that could go either way.

Absolutely. There have been tons of far better HW title fights...

7/10 for me. Quite enjoyable, but a little too many lulls in the quality and the action.

Advertisement