Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ MOD WARNING POST #1 BEFORE POSTING- Joshua Vs Klitschko

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Klitschko Points
    thierry14 wrote: »
    Fury doesn't have the chin to stay with Joshua

Wlad showed him way too respect, Joshua won't, he will have no problems connecting and when he does Fury is done

Joshua will be beat by someone who can bang, Fury can't

Two huge misconceptions about Fury.

His chin is nowhere near as bad as many make out, his power is nowhere near as bad as many make out.

Joshua can be beaten by getting outboxed. Fury will outbox him with ease in my opinion.

Anyway, tonight is more about Joshua isn't it. That fight is a long way off. I reckon Wilder in Vegas might be next. I'd make Joshua a massive favourite for that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

I think its pretty much a 50/50 fight assuming fury is fit, both have different strengths and weaknesses and neither man is invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭RoryMac

pac_man wrote: »
    Thought Joshua struggled with finding his range tonight and was throwing shots that were miles off. His feet are still one of his biggest weaknesses. How does he close the distance with someone as rangy as Tyson.

Most of that was down to Wlad's movement which Fury can't match

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭claresmurf

Wlad should have finished AJ off in round 6, Prime Wlad would have won that fight, but fairplay to AJ for coming back.

RoryMac wrote: »

Furys biggest strength is probably his movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    Feckoffcup wrote: »
    Joshua at one stage was one punch from being game over. Just imagine if he was 10 years younger....

...he'd be a teenager!

Tyson just tweeted.

He should shut his mouth. If he was any good he would still be there defending his titles. A complete waster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Joshua KO
    He should shut his mouth. If he was any good he would still be there defending his titles. A complete waster.

I was about to give out to you because I thought you were talking about Mike Tyson! Think it's time for bed, zzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Goose81

Joshua KO
    Morrison J wrote: »
    I feel a bit weird after that. Joshua answered a lot of questions. His chin is manageable at worst, he went 11 rounds without completely gassing out and was competitive in the exchanges throughout. I think Wlad will be raging he didn't force it a bit more in rounds 6-8 where Joshua looked proper frail though. I give Joshua all the credit in the world for that win, not a shot Wlad, beat a Wlad giving a near career best performance.

I can't help but feel more confident Fury beats him, and beats him easy though. As effective as Joshua is, he's still quite basic really isn't he? Fury gives him absolute fits. Needs to happen this time next year. There'll be serious money to be made that night because I've no doubt the bookies will side with Joshua.

Fury beats Joshua easy. He showed tonight he is a banger but he has a chin. Any actual boxer who can go 12 rounds will outscore him , poor vwlad ran out of gas and got stoped imo unfairly

Pity about wlad but a pity about he heavyweight division in general, this clown will end up dominating for probably 15 years in the weakest the division has ever been in history. No one coming through and we have just seen an athlete with minimal boxing skills do the business against a 40 yr old in what was and probably will be the best fight in the hw division for 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Joshua KO
    Goose81 wrote: »
    Fury beats Joshua easy. He showed tonight he is a banger but he has a chin. Any actual boxer who can go 12 rounds will outscore him , poor vwlad ran out of gas and got stoped imo unfairly

Pity about wlad but a pity about he heavyweight division in general, this clown will end up dominating for probably 15 years in the weakest the division has ever been in history. No one coming through and we have just seen an athlete with minimal boxing skills do the business against a 40 yr old in what was and probably will be the best fight in the hw division for 10 years

Fury might beat Joshua, if he can get in shape. Fury's certainly a more talented boxer and has faster hands, probably still faster when he's weighing over 300 lbs. That said you underestimate Joshua, he's got a good jab and nasty combinations. Add to that he showed good movement to survive the 3 rounds, people say Klitschko didn't go for the kill, he certainly loaded up heavy on a few shots after round 6 that largely all missed. He wasn't gonna empty the tank to try and finish him at 41.

HW is a bit bare, but that's partially on cagey fighters like Klitschko not bringing big names or talent through, he's never been a massive draw outside of grudge fights with the likes of Haye. AJ is probably one of the biggest draws in boxing now, that'll bring more talent through at heavyweight

Don't particularly understand the negative response when that was essentially the biggest boxing fight in a good long while. I mean Kovalev/Ward was one of the most best fights to happen in recent times and only did like 200k PPV buys.

AJ v Fury will be a huge fight if it ever goes down, and one I'd love to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Joshua KO
    Heavyweight boxing needed that fight.

Was tough seeing Wlad go down like that but he did way better than expected. Joshua is vastly improved over the past year.

I would prefer to see Wlad retire now, and Joshua and Fury go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

I don't pay much attention to boxing these days but I had to get this fight. Words can't describe what a warrior Klitschko is. Even if he is chemically enhanced, everything from his approach to the shape he was in to his humility in defeat was impressive. I hope that's that now and he draws a line under a legendary career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Surprised at the amount of people criticizing Wlad for not being more aggressive after the knockdown.
    That's exactly what got Joshua in trouble! He went all out to finish Wlad after the first knockdown and nearly lost the fight! 
    Wlad didn't want to risk the same outcome. He thought he had a better chance of winning just by dragging the fight into the later rounds.

That's as good a fight as you're gonna get at heavyweight. I thought Wlad was ahead the whole way pretty much but Joshua came back from being completely out of it a couple of times. Listening to his post fight interview, they should've taken the mike from him, he wouldn't pass an assessment. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Joshua Points
    Could that be the fight that saved boxing?

Joshua Points
    That uppercut though...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭rebelomar

A really top notch heavyweight fight.

I thought Wlad was superb...he pushed Joshua onto the back foot from round 1 and his ring general ship was top class. It was nip and tuck until round 5 with Wlad probably edging the early rounds. Joshua simply over powered him for the first knockdown and then proceeded to punch himself out and walk onto a big left hook.

How he got up from that right hand in rd 6 I'll never know...that showed a serious chin and great heart.

Wlad fell in on his work a little in going for the finish and I think he was too cautious and concerned with gassing himself when really he should have held his distance and got Joshua out at that stage.

Rds 7 and 8 were all Wlad...won comfortably on the jab but also allowed Joshua to recover and find his second wind.

Rounds 9 and 10 once I saw AJ pick up the pace and start to work the body inside the writing was on the wall. Those body shots were heavy an energy sapping. That said it still took a monstrous uppercut to finally hurt Wlad...the man showed unbelievable guts in getting up twice.

It just goes to show if you roll the dice and fight the best and perform well you can emerge with an enhanced reputation even in defeat. I applaud both men for making the fight in probably the wrong stages of their respective careers for such a contest.

Credit to Joshua...I wasn't convinced at all before tonight. He showed really admiral qualities and flaws in equal measure. He's certainly an exciting fighter capable of beating anybody in that division but the other contenders would still fancy their chances on the basis of those flaws. People give out about the hype and the casual nature of a lot of his support but it's bringing more attention and fan's to the sport. This has to be a good thing.

As for Wlad...he was superb but was simply over powered and outpaced in the late rounds...5 years ago it might have been different but he still enhanced his reputation tonight in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,277 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Brilliant fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Kaiser84

RoryMac wrote: »

You did watch Fury confuse Wlad for 12 rounds with his movement and feints, right? Wlad was gunshy that night, a lot of that was down to not being able to judge the distance.

Fury has very good feet and is very hard to read when he is switched on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Joshua Points
    Feckoffcup wrote: »
    Joshua at one stage was one punch from being game over. Just imagine if he was 10 years younger....

I don't think a 17yo Joshua would have beaten Klitschko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Joshua Points
    snowflaker wrote: »
    Since it viewing numbers plummeted in the US.

Nothing new, boxing's numbers rise and fall constantly....like all other sports in America... NASCAR has hit the floor ....you bring them a name that people want to.see..then the figures rebound

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Joshua Points
    My view in AJ has not changed. He has not wowed me yet. He did well, but is very vulnerable. And as stiff as always.

I'm going to call it..Wilder would be very dangerous..I'd back him, and I reckon he was licking his lips last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Kaiser84 wrote: »
    You did watch Fury confuse Wlad for 12 rounds with his movement and feints, right? Wlad was gunshy that night, a lot of that was down to not being able to judge the distance.

Fury has very good feet and is very hard to read when he is switched on.

Wlad was afraid to get hurt as usual and wouldn't engage

Cunningham etc had no problem finding Fury chin

Joshua won't be afraid to close the range and risk getting hit

Fury will be running away from him all night, will be embarrasing

People really over rating Fury because of a gun shy Wlad

Fury has been hurt by little guys

Joshua limited he may be, hits like a train and will give Fury fits, big, quick, strong

Fury doesn't even have much of a height or reach advantage here, only 2 inches between them in height

I honestly think Joshhua will be steamroll Fury but will get beat by a random who can bang

Joshua Points
    Anyone using AJ from last night as a reason why Fury beats him is off...

AJ was kept very honest last night because of Wlad's power and feet.

Fury won't be a threat as regards power, and AJ will advance and attack with more gusto than last night. Fury won't last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Joshua Points
    Great fight in fairness.

Was a little disappointed that Vlad couldn't get him out of there, I've no doubt a prime Vlad does. Great uppercut to finish it though, fantastic shot.

Hopefully Joshua doesn't go fighting bums and the Wilder fight will happen before the end of the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Joshua Points
    Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Great fight in fairness.

Was a little disappointed that Vlad couldn't get him out of there, I've no doubt a prime Vlad does. Great uppercut to finish it though, fantastic shot.

Hopefully Joshua doesn't go fighting bums and the Wilder fight will happen before the end of the year.
    It's all about selling 90,000 tickets every fight now.
    Best heavyweight there at the moment and won't avoid anyone imo.

Joshua Points
    I think the criticism regarding AJs stamina needs some context. He's 250 lbs, and even the fittest of boxers can sometimes overcook a rd or an attack, and end up really suffering because of it. They are only humans, with limits. He unleashed heavy and sustained attacks during some rds that had to really take a lot out of him.

The real point is how he recovered and was still throwing and finally, how he closed the show. That is the true sign of a prepared and fit athlete, not a bit of gassing here and there due to a heavy effort.

Both men showed great engines last night.

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone using AJ from last night as a reason why Fury beats him is off...

AJ was kept very honest last night because of Wlad's power and feet.

Fury won't be a threat as regards power, and AJ will advance and attack with more gusto than last night. Fury won't last long.
    Its not as if fury is completely feather fisted, hits at least as hard as whyte who was able to hurt joshua.

• Advertisement

Joshua Points
    Miccoli wrote: »
    Its not as if fury is completely feather fisted, hits at least as hard as whyte who was able to hurt joshua.

That could well be true. I don't think he will hurt AJ badly enough to stop himself getting hurt.

Advertisement