Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

If I can give you any advise, it would be to relax. Seriously. Over stressing it will drive you mad, compromise your performance and burn up energy. Get to the start healthy, relax and give it bata

Good luck

TbL

Ah no, you're dead right but I think I'm more excited than anything else. I've never been comfortable at pace until committing to the Hanson's plan I'm on.
    I'll be like Buddha come race weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

100 miles at sub 3 pace is a good chunk of training ricky - you should be flying it come race day.  

Only doing a 2 week taper this time, last tough 20 miler done in the Phoenix Park last week, a 17 miler this weekend and then tapering - hasn't stopped the taper madness tough :)
    Training has gone unbelievable for this, no injuries or niggles (I'm putting this down to building up a decent base late last year as well as 8-10 mins S&C every morning and foam rolling every night) and have 5x 20 milers done. Mentally panicking that I've peaked too early or will get injured or go over on my ankle or get hit by an asteroid:'( 
    I didn't have a goal in mind for this but after a 71min 10 miler and 1:34:20 half this year I'm going go for the sub 3:30 (and 23 min pb) and see how I hold up. 
    My OH is coming over to support, for those who have done this before where are the best places to go to see runners in different sections, the metro seems to be pretty good for getting to multiple spots so was wondering what others have done.

Sounds like you'll hit your goal Slow_Runner. 5 x 20 milers is some preparation.
    I've been luckily injury free but have a couple of colds that disrupted things. The curse of sharing my house with a 3 year old disease magnet.
    I'm planning 12 miles at MP today and 20 Long on Saturday and then begin the taper.
    I had it in my head that I'd like to do 13 miles at MP before but I don't have enough time left and don't want to tempt fate.
    Next week will be nothing over 10 miles and nothing over 6 the next week
    Overall I'm feeling good and hoping I get a bit of luck on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Can't believe this race is finally coming around. Just another two weeks of avoiding injury. Feels like I'm walking around on egg-shells these days.

Similar to Slow_Runners question: any quiet spots near the start/finish where the OH could easily hand me a sports drink? (also, seeing as my OH is running the 1/4 marathon, anyone care to provide a more caring OH, who is willing to hand me a sports drink? :))

The course seems to pass my hotel at the 17 mile (27km) mark (Mainport Hotel). Anyone happen to remember if that area is quiet enough?
    412572.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Can't believe this race is finally coming around. Just another two weeks of avoiding injury. Feels like I'm walking around on egg-shells these days.

Similar to Slow_Runners question: any quiet spots near the start/finish where the OH could easily hand me a sports drink? (also, seeing as my OH is running the 1/4 marathon, anyone care to provide a more caring OH, who is willing to hand me a sports drink? :))

The course seems to pass my hotel at the 17 mile (27km) mark (Mainport Hotel). Anyone happen to remember if that area is quiet enough?
    412572.png

Once you go back over the Eramusbridge the crowds are 9-10 deep for a while. My OH met me at 25km with a bottle of water last year before going over the bridge and still had plenty of time to walk back to Coolsingel to see me finish & it was very easy to spot her and crowd depth wasn't an issue. Once you go back over the Erasmusbridge back into the city the support is excellent and may make spotting OH's a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

The crowds from mile 15/16 really swell in size, far bigger than DCM, to use an Irish example. The only quiet area will be before the park and the start of the park loop. The bridge on the way back will be packed. This will be my 3rd time running this race and on previous outing have used the Citizen M hotel (to the right) as a drink pick up location. It's approximately 28km in, just after the underpass. In saying that, last year was very busy but still an advantageous meeting point.

-the drink stations are all excellent. Sponges, water and gels. Can be relied on.

-the drink stations are all excellent. Sponges, water and gels. Can be relied on.

+1 to this, aid stations are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Where is the best place to stop for a beer (during the marathon)

Where is the best place to stop for a beer (during the marathon)
    New fueling strategy Brayson Tight Magenta?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭28064212

the drink stations are all excellent. Sponges, water and gels. Can be relied on.
    Anybody know what gel brand? Are there gels at all the stations? There's no mention of them on the site (that I can see)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Anybody know what gel brand? Are there gels at all the stations? There's no mention of them on the site (that I can see)

These bad boys were gels on offer, local Dutch brew:

The gels are ok, although one flavour was almost like syrup in texture! I got a bad one. I think it is always best not to 100% rely on gels in marathons, always having your own supply just in case.

Water is water and sponges are sponges so no problem there. The isotonic drink (lemon) is nice but I would recommend picking up a bottle the day previous to acclimatise!

Last long week finished off with a confidence building 20 miler
    Now to get through the taper without being divorced/smothered in my sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

New fueling strategy jackyback?!

Hey Gary, no have not been doing much since last October and had booked this last year. Plan to run a few miles pacing wifey and then find a beer stop along the way. A tourist marathon of sorts:)

You all set?

Hey Gary, no have not been doing much since last October and had booked this last year. Plan to run a few miles pacing wifey and then find a beer stop along the way. A tourist marathon of sorts:)

You all set?
    Well, the work is done anyway. A couple more shorter MP sessions this week and that's pretty much it. Just looking forward to being on the start- line. It's been too long (Oct 2015). I have a few good bars saved in Google maps but they wouldn't have a view of the course. I'm guessing you'll want to be watching on for your significant other? Hopefully catch up with you for a few beers afterwards.

So where are we going drinkin'?

<This is usually the point where I like to suggest lots of great pubs with great reputations and massive high quality beer selections, and then 25 posts later, someone suggests the Irish pub, and we all end up in the Irish pub anyway.>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

The Irish pub is grand.
    It's called Paddy Murphy's and is close to the finish. Everybody seemed to call there at some point last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

The Irish pub is grand.
    It's called Paddy Murphy's and is close to the finish. Everybody seemed to call there at some point last year.

Paddy Murphy's. I'll be honest, the battle cruiser aint the best but I can confirm it sells alcohol and apparently some food of questionable and differing quality!

I'll be here at least twice over the weekend: http://www.restaurantmessina.nl/index-en.html

Owner is as mad as a brush but the food is very good and perfect for 'carb loading'! I should have a loyalty card for that restaurant by this stage.

Sounds like there's a few people who have been here before on here ;)

I don't plan on walking if possible until after Sunday. Is the Rotterdam Welcome Card any good?
    €20 for 3 days doesn't sound bad as I seriously will use the metro from one stop to another 300 yards up the road
    I'm staying on the south side of the bridge

• Advertisement

`Taper madness has well and truly kicked in early after only 2 days :), have a sore throat, sore glutes and am religiously checking weather forecast (pointless I know) - top tip, don't look at the forecast.
    We're staying in Delft for the weekend (15 mins on the train) so will be in Paddy Murphy's for a post marathon brew before shuffling back to the train.
    Might as well trow up a table. My target is weather dependent - if it's stupid hot then I'm easing back - learned my lesson in Dublin back in 2014.  

Name|Bib No:|PB|Target|Finish Time
    slow_runner|10272|3:53|3:29|

`Taper madness has well and truly kicked in early after only 2 days :), have a sore throat, sore glutes and am religiously checking weather forecast (pointless I know) - top tip, don't look at the forecast.
    We're staying in Delft for the weekend (15 mins on the train) so will be in Paddy Murphy's for a post marathon brew before shuffling back to the train.
    Might as well trow up a table. My target is weather dependent - if it's stupid hot then I'm easing back - learned my lesson in Dublin back in 2014.  

Forecasts I've looked at have been very favourable. You're clearly looking at the wrong forecasts. :) Fixed the table for you.

andstillrickyvilla|4445|3:09|2:55

May as well put it out there (if I haven't said it enough already!)
    I finished my first ever marathon ten years ago in 4:44:45. The bib number is a sign I tells ya

Flip off with your weather forecasts already!!

Flip off with your weather forecasts already!!
    These one I like::D
    https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/netherlands/rotterdam/ext
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/nl/rotterdam/251688/daily-weather-forecast/251688?day=13
    However it's due to hit 20 this week :O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Howyas.. didnt realise there a thread for this so ill stick the time in now.. Its official now its in a table!

Training has gone well for this so hoping the Sub 3.30 is there on the day.

andstillrickyvilla|4445|3:09|2:55|
    neilthefunkeone|9564|3.58|3:29|

So what's the smart drinking system like? How does it work? Is it effective?

drinking.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Training was going great until 4 weeks ago when I had an enforced 3 week rest due to an ankle problem. Ran for the first time in 3 weeks last Sunday with a slow 16 miler. Hoping to get through it thanks to the wonders of Cortisone (short term-ism at its best). Did a speed session last night and didn't feel like I had gone too far backwards during the break so still going to go out at sub 3 pace and if it backfires then so be it.... Going to go against conventional wisdom and throw in another 20 miler towards the end of this week with the last 10 at marathon pace.

andstillrickyvilla|4445|3:09|2:55|
    neilthefunkeone|9564|3.58|3:29|
    EC1000|9662|3:09|2:59|[/QUOTE]

Ricky, we seem to have a similar history - my first was 4:44 in 2005 :)

That's something to tell the grandkids when we crack 3 hours :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭The Davestator

So what's the smart drinking system like? How does it work? Is it effective?

drinking.jpg

They're brilliant - you wont have any problem with them.

Advertisement