Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, you can, but the game doesn't tell you, or you dismiss it as just another annoying notification! I went back and started from scratch with unlimited money so I could get used to it. And I heard the DLC makes the traffic better or something, but from the looks of it, all the DLC would cost €120! There's a sneaky one called Cities Upgrades and it says 'all the latest DLC in one pack' but it doesn't include most of the S1 and S2 packs, and they're all €40. Would like to get it all, but I think I'll put the money towards a GPU and get a complete version cheaper on PC at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Yeah, you can, but the game doesn't tell you, or you dismiss it as just another annoying notification! I went back and started from scratch with unlimited money so I could get used to it. And I heard the DLC makes the traffic better or something, but from the looks of it, all the DLC would cost €120! There's a sneaky one called Cities Upgrades and it says 'all the latest DLC in one pack' but it doesn't include most of the S1 and S2 packs, and they're all €40. Would like to get it all, but I think I'll put the money towards a GPU and get a complete version cheaper on PC at some stage.

I've an unhealthy addiction to this game (ploughed about 200/300 odd hours into at this stage on PS4). As such I've bought all the DLC, and if you feel you'll get the value out of the game, I'd advise Mass Transit as the best DLC as it brings in new types of roads that really help with with traffic management. Not to mention trams which I absolutely adore!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just on plus game DLC, farming simulator is a bit weird there for it. There's about €30 worth of DLC reduced now with a few free ones on the PSN store but when in game these are classed as mods and then on the main menu there's a mod library with 1000s of others made by the community and by the dev themselves but for some reason the developer made ones aren't all on the PSN store.

Weirder still one of the biggest features is weather/seasons, this update isn't a DLC on the store but in the mods section with the main one made by developer and then a hundred alt version that link weather to different regions (Northern Ireland and Dublin are the 2 we get).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Not feeling farming simulator at all - it’s the equivalent of watching paint dry? Cities probably the best pick of this month

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Not feeling farming simulator at all - it’s the equivalent of watching paint dry? Cities probably the best pick of this month

Typical, so ungrateful, I’ll have you know Paint Drying Simulator 4 is a brilliant game with a lot of depth that will engross you if you give it a chance. Watching Grass Grow Simulator 2020 is equally excellent.
    Just be glad you’re getting bang for your buck, you’re just so lucky you’re not getting some rubbish like Dark Souls remastered instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My PS Plus sub is up. Is there a way to get it cheaper than €60 without doing anything mad?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tusky wrote: »
    My PS Plus sub is up. Is there a way to get it cheaper than €60 without doing anything mad?

Nowhere has subs atm. Eneba have €50 psn cards for €43 though which will save you a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Nowhere has subs atm. Eneba have €50 psn cards for €43 though which will save you a little bit.

Thanks. This works for Irish PSN Accounts? Is the PS5 going to work off same system? If not no point getting a 12 month sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,454 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thanks. This works for Irish PSN Accounts? Is the PS5 going to work off same system? If not no point getting a 12 month sub.

No official confirmation yet, but almost certainly will. It's a PSN subscription, not a PS4 subscription. But we don't yet know what your PSN subscription will give you on PS5 (eg. it might not be 2 free PS5 games per month, though considering PS5 will have backwards compatibility it's likely whatever PS4 games are free that month will also be playable on PS5).

So your subscription should still carry over to PS5.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

They have Irish cards.

https://www.eneba.com/psn-playstation-network-card-50-eur-ie-psn-key-ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

City Skylines is too addictive. I never before though about uninstalling a game because it's wasting to much of my time, but it just might happen with this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Cities Skyline is the kind of game I wouldn't think of buying on PS4 but am really enjoying so far - so it's perfect as a PS Plus Game.

I've played a few of the Sim City titles years ago and it seems incredibly similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Cities Skyline is the kind of game I wouldn't think of buying on PS4 but am really enjoying so far - so it's perfect as a PS Plus Game.

I've played a few of the Sim City titles years ago and it seems incredibly similar.

Not sure if I said it here, but I said it someplace about this I wouldn't dream of buying that game, however sometimes its the best part of Plus games when they are basically niche games you will give them a shot only to find yourself hooked.

We are not entitled to triple A games every month.
    I usually buy the games I want to immediately, and enjoy the bonus that is Playstation Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I couldn't get into Skylines, I couldn't even try. Had to do some 10v10 shipment after to calm down. Guess I'm just a console heathen.
    I get the appeal of these games, it's just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Have the exact same thoughts on this. Decided to give it a bash yesterday thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. Ended up playing it for about 8 hours and watching tutorials on it before I went to sleep.

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Have the exact same thoughts on this. Decided to give it a bash yesterday thinking it wouldn't be my cup of tea at all. Ended up playing it for about 8 hours and watching tutorials on it before I went to sleep.

I heard it was addictive but thought I could handle it. I went to bed at 3am:(

Started a new game of this and have the ultimate money racket going :D 6 lane road in to 4 lane toll booths on both sides in and out of the city. Traffic is chaos but I’m ticking along at about 5-6k a second now haha

Christ, I'm reading The Beginners Guide to Traffic for city skylines. Kill me now

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=522776740

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

ffs ye have me interested now.

weiland79 wrote: »
    ffs ye have me interested now.

My advice is to not download it. Just one quick go to see what it's like is what I said. Seriously, I didn't move from one position in the couch for 3 hours, except for my thumbs. It's like crack cocaine.
    Haven't had a chance to play it in a few days. Thinking of restarting my "city" (it's more of a large town) because the traffic and pollution for my industry is too much and not in great locations. Just one or 2 more goes and then I'll uninstall it, I swear. I can handle it.

• Advertisement

Having been hooked since its release, its nice to read about others getting addicted :pac:

Lf5v12U.gif

Cienciano wrote: »
    My advice is to not download it. Just one quick go to see what it's like is what I said. Seriously, I didn't move from one position in the couch for 3 hours, except for my thumbs. It's like crack cocaine.
    Haven't had a chance to play it in a few days. Thinking of restarting my "city" (it's more of a large town) because the traffic and pollution for my industry is too much and not in great locations. Just one or 2 more goes and then I'll uninstall it, I swear. I can handle it.

I've spent about 9 hours on it the past 2 days - have a massive riverside city of about 22K now but not happy with my latest expansion (built a huge "posh" section of High density commercial/residential which looks really cool but I didn't realise the increase demand in power & water/sewage it would need :D). We've also got a football stadium now - keeps them happy when the power isn't out or sewage backing up!

Some tips I've learned that might help increase your cashflow in the early stages and keep things running smoothly:

1) Put toll booths everywhere possible (especially on the feeder roads in) and put the price up to the max - I have the city designed in such a way that all traffic coming in and out (or moving between the different districts) pays a toll :)

2) Make use of district & city policies - Education boost should be used when it's available but do not use a citywide Schools Out policy. You want educated workers for high end jobs, and school drop outs for bin services/industrial - zones - so make sure at least one or 2 neighborhoods are less educated to keep those services moving. Things like free smoke detectors or power edicts are useless and will just cost you money.

Also, build plenty of Low Density/High Density commercial and when the Big Business/Small Business policies become available use them immediately - I went from a solid per second rate of 20k to 40k+ using this.

3) When you are placing the water/sewage pumps - watch the flow of the water. Water pumps should always be upstream away from the sewerage (you'll make the whole city sick with the reverse and it will cripple your health systems).

4) Taxes - every single one can be raised to 12% without any blowback from the citizens. Get it raised early to start the cash coming in - and don't be afraid to raise them to the max temporarily if you need a quick cash boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Rdwrer

Also, build plenty of Low Density/High Density commercial and when the Big Business/Small Business policies become available use them immediately - I went from a solid per second rate of 20k to 40k+ using this.

What do you mean by this?

Stayed up till 2am last night for the second night running. Kids had me up from half 6. Totally worth it though. Up to 36k population and built the football stadium last night.

Great video guide here for those starting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7Mee2zMrc

Good tips here too: https://www.lovecitiesskylines.com/getting-started-guide-cities-skylines-tips-tricks/

Rdwrer wrote: »
    What do you mean by this?

Stayed up till 2am last night for the second night running. Kids had me up from half 6. Totally worth it though. Up to 36k population and built the football stadium last night.

Great video guide here for those starting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7Mee2zMrc

Good tips here too: https://www.lovecitiesskylines.com/getting-started-guide-cities-skylines-tips-tricks/

Big Business Benefactor & Small Business Enthusiast - you should have the 2 of them unlocked by now. They basically make the low density & high density commercial properties double their sales - so more sales means more income for you. The only downside is it will also double their need for supplies but that should be OK if your road network is in good shape and moving around freely enough.

Thanks. My road network is not great in my first two areas, but I have improved it in my third area, so might adopt it there.

Rdwrer wrote: »
    Thanks. My road network is not great in my first two areas, but I have improved it in my third area, so might adopt it there.
    Mine road network is shíte. But seemingly bulldozing areas to improve it isn't too big a problem.

Is there an undo button? A few times I built a road and realised it was the wrong type so had to bulldoze it straight away. Put in a toll booth the wrong way around, so had to bulldoze it straight away too :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Mine road network is shíte. But seemingly bulldozing areas to improve it isn't too big a problem.

Is there an undo button? A few times I built a road and realised it was the wrong type so had to bulldoze it straight away. Put in a toll booth the wrong way around, so had to bulldoze it straight away too :pac:

If you select the roads option and hold down Triangle you’ll get a radial menu with options to change direction of the road, upgrade the road to different types (2 lane to 4 lane) etc :)

Yeah I upgraded all the two-lane roads in my first area to six-lane roads last night, but there is one road at the start of my industrial zone that I can't upgrade to six-lane because there is a landfill in the way and it's full. I might start emptying it tonight.

I've spent about 9 hours on it the past 2 days - have a massive riverside city of about 22K now but not happy with my latest expansion (built a huge "posh" section of High density commercial/residential which looks really cool but I didn't realise the increase demand in power & water/sewage it would need :D). We've also got a football stadium now - keeps them happy when the power isn't out or sewage backing up!

Some tips I've learned that might help increase your cashflow in the early stages and keep things running smoothly:

1) Put toll booths everywhere possible (especially on the feeder roads in) and put the price up to the max - I have the city designed in such a way that all traffic coming in and out (or moving between the different districts) pays a toll :)

2) Make use of district & city policies - Education boost should be used when it's available but do not use a citywide Schools Out policy. You want educated workers for high end jobs, and school drop outs for bin services/industrial - zones - so make sure at least one or 2 neighborhoods are less educated to keep those services moving. Things like free smoke detectors or power edicts are useless and will just cost you money.

3) When you are placing the water/sewage pumps - watch the flow of the water. Water pumps should always be upstream away from the sewerage (you'll make the whole city sick with the reverse and it will cripple your health systems).

4) Taxes - every single one can be raised to 12% without any blowback from the citizens. Get it raised early to start the cash coming in - and don't be afraid to raise them to the max temporarily if you need a quick cash boost.

To add to these,

the landfill site doesn't require power or water so you can put it basically anywhere out of the way.

When putting down water pipes, a cost of 440 in distance will allow enough of an over lap between pipes so that you can save a few bob.

Only build a police/fire station when the first burglary/fire starts, as it saves money early on.

One way road systems help reduce traffic issues in large city grids/industrial zones.

Oval-abouts and roundabouts are your best friend. If you've a lot of traffic coming into an area and 4 roads intersecting, use a roundabout. In industrial areas, oval-abouts help spread and space out the traffic a bit further.

When you unlock it, Metro will be a god send. It carries a huge amount of people and helps reduce traffic. Putting metro loops back to back (with stations within a quick walk to one another) helps your people move about easier too.

Biggest tip I can give, only build when you really need to. Keep an eye on your info view for demand for water/electric/education etc. and add extra cover when demand dips into the yellow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thoroughly appreciating how this thread has rapidly escalated from ‘**** choices’ to full-on addictions to Cities Skyline.

Advertisement