Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭jj880

Even better thanks. Only have a few lads I play online with. Can get them moved over no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can you back up your saves to an external drive? Just out of curiosity I checked the PS5 last night and couldn't see an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

edit ... already posted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

My ps plus just expired, I assume there's no deal similar to xbox gamepass,just gotta pay the full whack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I haven't played multiplayer on a Playstation since the PS3 so I'm wondering now if it's worth my while keeping the sub. €59.99 was just doable but going to €71.99 is annoying. If you let the sub expire, do you lose the games that you had acquired when you were a subscriber?

Apart from the monthly games, which I don't even play really, what's the benefit of a subscription? I think back in the day it allowed you to back-up your saves to the cloud. I'd imagine thumb drives have killed that advantage?

good run down of each plan in this link.

You lose access to any monthly games built up while subscribed if it expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks. Was just checking out of curiosity since cloud saves is one of the reasons people want Plus. So at least can back saves up offline as well.

I had just looked on the Saved data screen.

I’m currently on premium which will expire in November. Is it possible to stack it with essential which would kick when premium expires?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah I'm wondering the same or downgrade the premium plan to essential and stack a year or two of essential.

I expect they will probably offer essential at current price during Christmas sale and days of PlayStation next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Unfortunately you can't downgrade your plan without letting the current one expire.

Jesus. Bastards.

I’m kinda sickened by Sony here if I’m honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Damien360

The size of the price hike is not good. I just got my new sub for the year 2 weeks ago. I am for the first time debating getting rid of my PS5 when this sub expires. I’d miss it but not enough to get ripped off. On top of the new game prices, it’s hard to justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think people are over reacting a bit. I pay more to Netflix and use it far less. Essential is still crazy good value even with the price increase considering what it offers. It has reduced my overall spending massively. And eventually you won't be getting the Gamepass deals as good as they are now, it's already starting with it's own price increases. They can shove Premium on the new price though, it's not worth that much extra. They'll need to bring something else to Premium to justify it. Wouldn't put it past them that Day 1 games will be Premium only, although I don't ever see them putting their own AAA games Day 1. I still think that can't make money in the long run, especially with the time and cost involved in making modern AAA games. Time will tell.

€125 is less than 2 new games a year. €150 the approximate cost of 2 new games these days. Gamepass without the deals, straight from MS, is €10.99/15.99 a month for console/ultimate, or €131.88/191.88 a year which I'd imagine is what most non-gaming parents pay. People need to be comparing the full cost, not the cost of a deal they can find. And even at those prices (except for Premium), they're still more than worth it, even if I did get GP until the end of 2025 for ~€160. If I didn't, that would probably be the one to go first, but that's personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭King_Joffery

Hi Guys, I have a brand new PS5 in the box unopened. I haven't owned a PlayStation since ps3. I would like to know if there is any definite guide to setting up a Turkish psn that I could follow? Thanks for any bit of help much appreciated!

I'll PM you.

Edit: Just tested adding another 12 months of Turkey Extra when PMing King_Joffrey to make sure it still works.

Used a free VPN mobile app called windscribe. You get a free 10gb of vpn data when you confirm your email. Turn the VPN on for Istanbul Lygos and buy using the Turkey PSN account in the PS plus app on your phone. Much easier than using a proxy on PS5 console. Working out at 13.90 through spectrocoin at the moment.

Stacked up until August 2026 now. That'll do me.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It all depends on the type of user. You might be getting your monies worth out of it but I know I don't. Of course that's not anyone's fault but my own. I don't remember the day nor hour that I played one of the free monthly games. I don't play many games and when I do, I tend to sink a lot of time into them. Currently Far Cry 6 has about 76 hours in it. I don't play against anyone so really I'm not sure there's a lot of point in paying more for something that's mildly beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

I'm more or less the opposite. I don't buy games at release because I can't play that regularly. I wait for sales on PSN or stick to the Plus games. Currently playing Horizon Forbidden West, have played some Assassins Creed games, Stray... typically a mix of Essential monthly games or Extra games.

I can definitely justify the annual cost of Plus based on the games I play. That said, a significant price increase is still hard to take.

I'm in a strange land where I can dedicate most my spare time to gaming, and I find that with the subs I'm playing games I'd never have bought. I've no issues with trying a game for a couple of hours and quitting if I'm not enjoying it, and the subs allow me to do that with so many more games than I would ever have upright bought. But as ye said, everyone is different. I personally think they're great value but will go the same as Netflix and co where most people will just have it. I still don't think Day 1 AAA games is viable.

• Advertisement

I'm out. I've had a sub since day one but I can't justify the new price of any of the tiers. I suspect I'm not alone.

Perhaps it's the timing of this that rankles more than the cost itself. The industry has done little to curry favour with the public of late, the 2K sports games gouging, the bare minimum red dead port at full price etc.

Sony could have provided some sugar to make this medicine go down easier.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is the bit I'm most surprised with. This is not a trivial increase and not having ANYTHING to justify it seems....well lazy. Storage has never been cheaper, so even if they increased the cloud storage which I know has been an issue in the past, it'd be SOMETHING to show for the extra charges.

I'm a bit torn on this, I've had Premium since the tiers came out but other than a handful of games I've played for all of maybe 15 hours, I don't get the use out of it. Honestly I think when my next renewal comes around, I'll have to drop a level, because even with the increase, that level financially makes sense for me and the kids (who get far more out of the subscriptions than I do) but I think Sony are rightly being called out for this and I'd like to see them acknowledge that this sort of an increase is a lot to take at once.

Surprising for me too. I think with Starfield coming out Sony threw in the towel this month. Saving a few sweeteners for the run up to Christmas.

Maybe they're putting it up before announcing something special for Premium. Maybe Premium will get AAA Day 1... Or Sony just being Sony and saying "This be the price now, lolz". Like RedXIV, I'll be dropping to Extra at renewal next May unless something useful gets added before then. Even if it's just a VR game every month, I'd consider that worth it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Monthly games now now live, Saints row 110gb, generation zero and black desert.

SR is actually worth a try. The characters weren't as bad as made out to be and if you lower your expectations, you might enjoy it for the crazy fluff it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Thank god i bought 2TB of extra storage. These games are massive.

Advertisement