Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Apparently the new Saints Row is headlining September Essential. Link seems dead but people saw it was SR while it was up.

Edit - Link now live again. SR just had a 'relaunch' trailer a few days ago to show off all the fixes. Still didn't fix a boring game but I'll dip back in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The relaunch trailer was probably due to it now being available in Steam. Also the DLC that came out was some of the laziest content I've ever seen for a paid dlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sea of Stars, which is available tomorrow getting great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

That's the one I've been waiting for, love turn based RPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

Think it's the first game to launch date and day (tm) on both Gamepass and PS Plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Most notably in that update, the price of PS Plus Essential is rising from €59.99 to €71.99, Extra from €99.99 to €125.99 and Premium from €119.99 to €151.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

Yikes. That price increase is steep. Exceptionally bad marketing to announce this with a sub-par line-up for this month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭jj880

Jesus at least give us a few good games when telling us prices are going up. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Even more funny is them stating that it's increasing to keep delivering "high quality" games in a month with 3 terrible ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

New prices:

71.99 up from 59.99

125.99 up from 99.99

151.99 up from 119.99

So 20%, 26% and ~27% increases

I'm subbed until November 2024 so will see what I can get played by then then decide whether to keep it going.

Think you need to let it lapse if you want to move down a tier?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Nope, have premium until 2025, downgraded to essential, which will take effect then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is the problem with subscription services as a model going forward - whether it's Netflix, PS+ or GamePass. The price is inevitably going to increase, and what once seemed like a pretty good deal* can fairly quickly become a not-so-great deal. Not that Premium in particular was ever a particularly attractive deal, of course. And 20%+ is a very big jump too.

*with the caveat that a subscription service for access to online multiplayer was a questionable policy not so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CylonXIII

Microsoft - "Here's Starfield"

Sony - "Here's a 20+% price increase"

Very annoying

And they're giving us Saints Row at the same time as announcing it.

And looking at the other 2 games, it seems they're more multiplayer focused, so definitely no interest.

So giving 2 games that require online while announcing the increase in the cost to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,679 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have Extra until August next year, no way I'm paying 126 on next renewal. Jesus Sony, they'd want to be matching day 1 1st party titles like xbox for that asking price.

Stacking my Turkey extra sub for 3 years right now. Will let Irish sub lapse in January 2024. Can do without any Ireland ps plus games built up since ps5 launch. Sony are some craic.

Edit: Turkey ps plus extra is still 13.50 euro for 12 months.

Post edited by jj880 on

Remember it's all for the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Tbh this looks even worse coming next month seeing as MS are changing Gold to Game Pass Core, replacing the awful Games with Gold with 25 games from Game Pass, while remaining at €60 for a years subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the WWF rebranding to WWE with the slogan "Get the F out". With these prices Sony are encouraging players to "Get the L out"

Actually Microsoft could use that image with a green X to take a dig at them.

Nice PS5 price drop just before this. Heavy trolling from Sony. Wonder what theyve got planned for Christmas 😅.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So, it's now closer to full price Gamepass Ultimate? I'm only guessing, because I can only find code sites for 12 months of Ultimate, Xbox seem to only want you on the monthly sub at €14.99/month, so €180/year? Or €120/year for the console only version. MS have already massively cut the loophole for upgrading, it's only a matter of time before they close the current offer. Granted, they have key sites to get Ultimate down to €120ish from legit sites. One would wonder how long that'll last too.

Still, terrible jump from Sony. I have Premium and for the extra €20 I was gonna keep it. I'll go back to Extra for the same price, demos/classics catalogue is not worth an extra ~€30. So PS+ Extra and Gamepass Console are now roughly the same price.

And hey, it wouldn't have mattered what games they released this month, everything would be overshadowed by Starfield anyway, so why not get the bad news and crap games out of the way. A strong next month would be nice, especially if Starfield doesn't perform to expectations. I said it at the start of all this streaming, it can't be too profitable at current prices and MS's Day 1 approach is not sustainable imo. Personally, my gaming spending has dramatically dropped since PS+/Gamepass became popular. I'm only spending the subs and the odd new game here or there, whereas previously I was buying games at a tenner here, twenty there... I think the streaming approach works well for smaller studios/games, but having AAA Day 1 has to be losing money.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,960 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't have an Xbox but you can get 2 years Game Pass Ultimate for €100 of so which allows you to play on PC as well and it includes first party games on day one.

I won't be renewing my PS Plus Extra when it expires at Christmas and I'll probably sell the PS5 then as well, there's feck all worth playing on it that you can't play elsewhere and I've not turned on my PS5 since April or May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

My sub is up at the start of next year so could you just top up your sub now at a cheaper price and avoid the increase? What is the cut off date for price increases because I could of swore I seen on an article that it was early September!?

IGN have the date for price increase at September 6th if you want to stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Become Death

I have far too many games tied to my account to sell my ps5 or to go over to a turkish sub.

Ugh.

Im thinking it will be the monthly games from Essential and any games I have bought with a PS Plus discount that I will lose when I switch from Ireland psn to Turkey psn. Any games I bought separately will still be playable from any account on the console. Extra Catalogue is obviously the same. I can live with that unless there are more games I'll lose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think if you've bought a game, that will remain yours (regardless of it having a PS Plus discount). Its only the free games that you lose.

Advertisement