Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    They don't take that much care driving a car, its a reach they would do any better with a bike.

Bald tyres
    DRLs or no lights or one blown
    Cranking on AC to cool themselves down instead of taking off a jacket or running to the car in a lighty shirt and blasting the heating.

The last point will only annoy enviromentalists and people who are light on money but the other two are a risk to all road users.
    Just my bit of pedantry but blasting the heating has almost no environmental impact as the engine produces much more waste heat than is used by the interior heating system. Different in an e-car though...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Just my bit of pedantry but blasting the heating has almost no environmental impact as the engine produces much more waste heat than is used by the interior heating system. Different in an e-car though...

The latter was actually a rant against people in my family who crank the heat up, to levels I am deeply uncomfortable with rather than just putting on a jumper. I didn't even realise I said it.

cdaly_ wrote: »

I actually meant to refer to a/c rather than blasting the heat, having the heat on through air flow around the engine does not increase fuel consumption much at all, although it is slightly better to leave it all sealed up, the difference is negligible. Although the danger from your car getting steamed up is probably far more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Ok, its not cycling but..
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-has-lucky-escape-after-his-scooter-collides-with-dublin-bus-904713.html

I'm a bit surprised the Gardaí didn't make a point about these things being illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

homer911 wrote: »
    Ok, its not cycling but..
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-has-lucky-escape-after-his-scooter-collides-with-dublin-bus-904713.html

I'm a bit surprised the Gardaí didn't make a point about these things being illegal

well they tried to make it about cyclists themselves :pac:

Gardaí posted pictures of the crash online showing the bike wedged under the double-decker, and they warned people to stay safe when on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There's a program screening on RTE1 this coming Monday at 7.30pm called Now You See Me. The focus of it is on the problems cyclists face cycling around Dublin. It will also show how cycling is in other European cities. The ad for it looked good even if it is presented by Simon Delaney.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    There's a program screening on RTE1 this coming Monday at 7.30pm called Now You See Me. The focus of it is on the problems cyclists face cycling around Dublin. It will also show how cycling is in other European cities. The ad for it looked good even if it is presented by Simon Delaney.

Saw it advertised earlier, on the face of it the ad made it look to be worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Muahahaha wrote: »

It does look interesting but no doubt we'll need a mute button for the ensuing SM backlash. Phil Skelton of Stayin' Alive at 1.5 suggested on twitter that RSA and Garda Traffic could usefully engage with the uninformed comment and disabuse people of their ignorance . (That's my paraphrase of what he said) But unlike West Midland Road Harm Reduction Team, Met Cycle Cops and Surrey Police they never have up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pinch Flat wrote: »

Presumably, the 'no free riders' policy from the Times means no more free parking of cars on public streets anywhere, or in public car parks. Let's get charging all those cars parked on the streets in the 'burbs for the public space they're taking up so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Sorry now as FB is hardly journalism but it is to lots of people I guess. A blood boiler here

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2297543520276441&id=100000624465130&ref=content_filter

The cyclist looks like he met an oversized vehicle in a narrow section of road, who got there first? Is that a weight limit sign to the left of the truck? Anyway professional drivers stirring up hate for whatever agenda is brutal behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Life’s too short, cyclist should move out of the way so everyone can get on with their life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Presumably, the 'no free riders' policy from the Times means no more free parking of cars on public streets anywhere, or in public car parks.
    they seem to be reasonably explicit about what they mean:
    Part of the reason for this relates to the continuing availability of free off-street car parking spaces in the city centre, particularly for public servants. If the users of such valuable spaces had to pay a benefit-in-kind tax or daily parking charges at the going rate, they might think twice about taking their cars into town. There should be no free riders.

I've been in this situation a few times over the years usually with cars and tractors w/wo trailer as I'm sure many here have but never with a truck on a road that small. It's never ended like that , in the car there's usually a conversation about how far back it is for either party to reverse to get each other by, it's agreed and waves are exchanged, on the bike I'd ask him to stop, shoulder the bike and wait for confirmation I'm clear as no way he was able to reverse.

Couple of times over the years I've heard tractors coming on a narrow road like this around a bend, in that situation I'd stop well before the bend in the middle of the road and wait so they see me and stop and again the same procedure.

Whether the truck should have been there or not is another question but life is too short for that messing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Student doctor spared criminal record for hitting cyclist
    Lana Alghabra says sun in her eyes when she knocked down woman, who then cycled off
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/student-doctor-spared-criminal-record-for-hitting-cyclist-1.3797865

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Bizarre that the victim couldn't be traced, yet a witness was able to get the case all the way to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

bingobars wrote: »
    Sorry now as FB is hardly journalism but it is to lots of people I guess. A blood boiler here

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2297543520276441&id=100000624465130&ref=content_filter

The cyclist looks like he met an oversized vehicle in a narrow section of road, who got there first? Is that a weight limit sign to the left of the truck? Anyway professional drivers stirring up hate for whatever agenda is brutal behavior.

This is idiotic stuff altogether from the cyclist in particular.
    Stand to the side, let the truck past, and get on with enjoying your ride. I'd even suggest a wave from each one to the other to acknowledge the off situation of such a big truck on such a narrow road.

as the witness in this case (I've posted here previously about the restorative justice component of her avoiding a conviction) I can't properly express how annoyed I am at the bullsh1t that's been reported here. not faulting the reporting btw, I don't doubt this is an accurate reflection of what was said in court.
    judge from the shadows etc in the video yourself the likelihood of the sun being in her eyes and bear in mind she was travelling westbound at 10am...
    and the victim certainly did not cycle off straight away, or at all. she walked away with her bike several minutes after the incident, following a conversation with the driver who stopped her car and got out to check on her...

I'm not questioning the level of the sanction btw, but for the guard (who I otherwise was quite positive about) to agree that the sun was in her eyes is ridiculous.

Bizarre that the victim couldn't be traced, yet a witness was able to get the case all the way to court.

video evidence ftw.

This is idiotic stuff altogether from the cyclist in particular.
    Stand to the side, let the truck past, and get on with enjoying your ride. I'd even suggest a wave from each one to the other to acknowledge the off situation of such a big truck on such a narrow road.
    Indeed, regardless of whether the truck should have been there or not, the truck stopped, even made a suggestion on how to get around, even offered to carry the bike around for him. Now the truck should not have been there but it doesn't take away from the absolute muppetry of the cyclist. Bike on your shoulder, stand in off the road, if the truck being there pisses you off, take a photo and send it to the PSNI, they are better at dealing with such things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would be curious about what led to that situation, we certainly only get a snapshot of it. and the guy taking the video didn't think to upload footage where the cyclist is speaking, nor provide any context.

• Advertisement

i would be curious about what led to that situation, we certainly only get a snapshot of it. and the guy taking the video didn't think to upload footage where the cyclist is speaking, nor provide any context.

The video mutes as soon as the cyclist starts talking which is weird

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

video evidence ftw.

Have front and back cameras and this stuff just keeps validating them.

Funny what you mention about court reporting. I had a story about me/family in the media a while back, it actually went pretty big and I ended up writing out a template email with bullet points of all the info journalists were after. If someone emailed, I’d reply with the template and say to ask any other questions of they needed. It was unreal how the story got changed when printed, even when they had all the facts. And this wasn’t putting a slight spin on things, it was incorrect ages, time frames, etc. It’s been hard to trust most media stories since.

Fair play to you sticking with it and getting it through to court. Gas how westbound at 10am and still got away with sun in eyes excuse.

yes, i read it as the cyclist being silent because he's taking details (he seems to peer past his interlocutor at one point, I think towards the cab). the driver was certainly keen to only upload footage which flattered the driver, and that alone would leave me sitting on the fence as to who was in the wrong.

ignore me if you read my posts in between (now deleted). I got confused in the overlap between the truck incident and my video above!

video evidence ftw.
    Sun is behind you, light is actually at a slight angle, so it would have been to her left and slightly behind the driver. Even common sense of where the incident occured and the time would have shown that, but nonetheless, well done on getting it to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Matt Cooper this evening will be discussing the documentary about what he phrases Cyclists and their role in Ireland.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sun is behind you, light is actually at a slight angle, so it would have been to her left and slightly behind the driver. Even common sense of where the incident occured and the time would have shown that, but nonetheless, well done on getting it to court.

from the first hearing in September I knew it would be struck out pending her completion of this restorative justice thing so the outcome is no surprise. the fact that they introduced this nonsense to excuse her careless driving is really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

mr.spruckler- fair play for seeing this to court. I was witness to a similar incident 18 months back where a taxi knocked off a cyclist at that narrow stretch of the south quays just after Parliament St. The cyclist wasn't reporting it (she was in shock tbh) so I did. It ended up with the taxi driver getting a talking to but in fairness to him before that happened he reported himself for causing the accident so at least he was aware he messed up by trying to over take a cyclist on a very narrow part of the quays.

Anyway was wondering if the court accepted your video as evidence in the case? Did the defence try to question the authenticity of the video or make any attempt for it not to be submitted as evidence? It would be interesting to know how the courts treated video evidence because AGS seem to be very dismissive of people with it when reporting dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Flashbacks to the only time I was knocked off my back. Same scenario, different location (Petrol station at end of Rathgar Road). Came down on my face and still have scars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Cycling thing on RTE 1 at the moment 'Now You See ME'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement