Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd agree to a point - his basic argument is one i don't have an issue with, but someone who theoretically should understand journalism should understand the process of good editing to pull the salient points out of the relevant phone conversation without having to include it in full.

i guess the way the argument is included will preach to the choir while just pissing off the unconverted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think it's the current state of podcasting: tendency towards very light editing and long run times. Or no editing in this case. Maybe he wanted to make it clear he hadn't manipulated what the RTÉ guy said.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

While locking up my bike this morning, I got thinking. Given the current template for stories about cycling is the He said, She said of:

"Cyclists are a menace on our roads" or "You're taking your life in your own hands cycling to work"

Once, just once, I'd love to see a headline that reads:

"Man/woman has yet another uneventful cycle to work"

Doubt it would get too many clicks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randomname2005

While locking up my bike this morning, I got thinking. Given the current template for stories about cycling is the He said, She said of:

"Cyclists are a menace on our roads" or "You're taking your life in your own hands cycling to work"

Once, just once, I'd love to see a headline that reads:

"Man/woman has yet another uneventful cycle to work"

Doubt it would get too many clicks though.

Maybe on Waterford Whispers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I could be over-analysing this, but it's interesting to see the Garda actually recognising that 'Driver lost control' instead of the more usual 'car lost control' trope. I wonder if the recent battering they've been getting on Twitter is having some effect;

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1094327480499036161

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

On NewsTalk this morning they were discussing proposals coming in to allow buses to drive use hard shoulders as bus lanes to "ease congestion".

Didn't seem to register with anyone that the congestion is happening in areas with Bus Lanes already because, as with other rules of the road, drivers are allowed to take the piss with them. So lets try to fix it by letting the buses drive in hard shoulders instead doing a crackdown to free up the bus lanes. I really don't understand the thinking in this country anymore :(

Personally I think taxi's should be out of them as well since, quite apart from their appalling attitudes towards cyclists in them, probably 95% of the time they're a car carrying 1 passenger which is pretty much the definition of unsustainable transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Duckjob wrote: »
    On NewsTalk this morning they were discussing proposals coming in to allow buses to drive use hard shoulders as bus lanes to "ease congestion"...
    It was bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

On NewsTalk this morning they were discussing proposals coming in to allow buses to drive use hard shoulders as bus lanes to "ease congestion".

"The bus lane's full of cars, what'll we do?"
    "Create another bus lane and abandon the old one!"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Recruiting more Guards = More money
    G'wan, use the hard shoulder = Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Recruiting more Guards = More money
    G'wan, use the hard shoulder = Free

One guard stopping 20 drivers a day with €80 fines would more than cover the cost of hiring them.

One guard stopping 20 drivers a day with €80 fines would more than cover the cost of hiring them.

That's what I don't get.

Same with RLJ- as long as people are rampantly taking the piss as they are now, it should be very lucrative to stick a guard out catching people at 80euro a pop.

It's only when people start behaving again that the profits would dry up, but in the meantime, use the profits to invest in more cameras and automate the process.

Personally I would find it very easy to ignore the (inevitable) moans of people who were intent on driving dangerously and are now being hit in the pocket as a result. It's a "driving like a dick" tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

probably 95% of the time they're a car carrying 1 passenger which is pretty much the definition of unsustainable transport.

a huge chunk of the time they don't even have 1 passenger so at the very least they should be banned from bus lanes when not carrying a fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭randomname2005

That's what I don't get.

Same with RLJ- as long as people are rampantly taking the piss as they are now, it should be very lucrative to stick a guard out catching people at 80euro a pop.

It's only when people start behaving again that the profits would dry up, but in the meantime, use the profits to invest in more cameras and automate the process.

Personally I would find it very easy to ignore the (inevitable) moans of people who were intent on driving dangerously and are now being hit in the pocket as a result. It's a "driving like a dick" tax.

I am thinking about the constant complaints about 'shooting fish in a barrel'. Shudder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am thinking about the constant complaints about 'shooting fish in a barrel'. Shudder.

Always a funny analogy. The only way it truly works is if you could communicate with the fish and inform them that getting into the barrel will lead to a high likelyhood of them getting shot, and then giving them the choice of whether, knowing the pertinent information, they want to still get into the barrel.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Always a funny analogy. The only way it truly works is if you could communicate with the fish and inform them that getting into the barrel will lead to a high likelyhood of them getting shot, and then giving them the choice of whether, knowing the pertinent information, they want to still get into the barrel.

No matter how much you publicise it beforehand, they'll still complain when they get caught. F**k them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

a huge chunk of the time they don't even have 1 passenger so at the very least they should be banned from bus lanes when not carrying a fare.
    Currently they are allowed in the bus lane if travelling to collect a fare. However, I doubt they're ever asked to prove they're on the way to collect a fare and regularly you'll see them pull in when flagged down.
    Personally I could never understand why a taxi is allowed in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Is it time to rid our cities of the private car? Featuring Galway, Dublin
    Discussion coming up later on Pat Kenny
    www.newstalk.com

zell12 wrote: »
    www.newstalk.com

The change-resistors always start talking about how so much of town business is provided by motorists and implying that business will evaporate if things are made any harder for driving.

It always drives me mad that they are never challenged on this to point to other cities in Europe that have had this happen when they were pedestrianised.

AFAIK the effect has nearly always been the opposite as it makes the city much more attractive for people to want to come into and spend time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

zell12 wrote: »
    www.newstalk.com

I found this conversation infuriating.

To be listening once more to talk of metro North, widening the M50, moving the Dart underground in places, removing all public parking spaces to allow for more traffic lanes while we are experiencing the shambolic example of key project infrastructure delivery at the Children's hospital is depressing. What confidence can anyone have that any of these projects would deliver significant benefits within or even close to the targeted time-frame and cost?

I don't know if it because of a blinkered view, ignorance or vested interests that make us as a country so poor at this. We seem to have the same conversations and experiences year after year after year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The change-resistors always start talking about how so much of town business is provided by motorists and implying that business will evaporate if things are made any harder for driving.

It always drives me mad that they are never challenged on this to point to other cities in Europe that have had this happen when they were pedestrianised.

AFAIK the effect has nearly always been the opposite as it makes the city much more attractive for people to want to come into and spend time there.

Ya. Any research I've seen has found that it's footfall that dictates spending habits and cars reduce that. I think there was a good blast from New York recently where they've been working on restructuring transportation infrastructure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I am driving, i am not going to stop in my local town, 5 minutes from home if I feel hungry, thirsty, whatever or if I recall I should pick up a card, flowers whatever. If I am on my bike, I'll do it because it won't add on much time, there is rarely a parking issue.
    Don't get me wrong, some people will literally stop on the double yellows, on a corner, block a footpath and a lane of traffic but most people will keep going.

You want more money spent in a town centre, improve PT, footfall and cycling facilities. If you want to increase out of town centres and petrol station spending, just keep going the way you are Ireland, your doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Ask the traders on Grafton Street do they want 3 lanes of traffic returned?
    Make it easier for motorists to get into town ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Chiparus wrote: »
    Ask the traders on Grafton Street do they want 3 lanes of traffic returned?
    Make it easier for motorists to get into town ?

That’s always my retort. Of course there would be consternation if the likes or grafton street and henry street had traffic reintroduced. And to date I’ve never seen someone heading down either street carrying a cooker or other large appliance- this is usually cited as the reason for maintaining cars on our towns and cities. Shows how lame the argument is on the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    That’s always my retort. Of course there would be consternation if the likes or grafton street and henry street had traffic reintroduced. And to date I’ve never seen someone heading down either street carrying a cooker or other large appliance- this is usually cited as the reason for maintaining cars on our towns and cities. Shows how lame the argument is on the first place.

Patrick Street in Cork is an interesting story in this respect.

They banned cars, re-allowed them, banned them again, and now, some of the original proponents of the scheme are supporting claims to allow them again.
    Fine Gael councillor Des Cahill was originally in favour of the ban, but now says it is damaging businesses.

"The psychology of the public has definitely changed and has definitely put people off.

"It is clear that there is a change in shift in retail once you hit 2.30/3 o'clock in the afternoon. People just drop off."

The car ban had been introduced in April but it was scrapped after three weeks amid uproar from traders. It was re-introduced in August.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-one-of-worst-cities-in-world-for-traffic-congestion-1.3791651?mode=amp

If only there was a two wheeled personal transport vehicle that’s human powered and keeps people fit and healthy as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-one-of-worst-cities-in-world-for-traffic-congestion-1.3791651?mode=amp

If only there was a two wheeled personal transport vehicle that’s human powered and keeps people fit and healthy as well...

Interesting to read the motor lobby's accepted representative's take...
    “This is not the sort of list you want to see your name on and being close to the top when it comes to being stuck in traffic is not a proud boast,” said the AA’s Conor Faughnan.

“It is absurd for a relatively small city to feature so prominently and it shows that we have to see more investment in public transport, a better use of land and the provision of more cycling facilities until that happens it always going to remain a congested city.”

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    Interesting to read the motor lobby's accepted representative's take...

Said it before, but Conor faughnan is a keen cycling commuter “couldn’t pay me to drive in Dublin” I believe he told me once

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement