Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i remember reading that the bugatti veyron, a 1001bhp car, needed (i think) 150 horsepower to get to 150mph. the next 100mph needed another 850bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

And it’ll empty its tank in 10 minutes at full tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    And it’ll empty its tank in 10 minutes at full tilt

Isn't that a joke, tank only lasts ten minutes, but the tyres will be gone after 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

#
    He was downright rude to Ciaran Cuffe in another interview but conspiratorially pally with Pat Kenny.
    Newstalk make sure to look after good advertisers from the car industry.
    On one hand the cyclist probably shouldn't bother trying to enforce the law, but god knows I've been pissed off and tried it myself.
    Why shouldn't he try to 'enforce' the law? Though speaking to other people is not actually 'enforcing'.

I recall someone here mentioning before CF was a cyclist himself I think.
    he is, a commuting cyclist IIRC.
    Some of my best friends are black/gay/Jewish etc...

AA also lobbied for higher speed limits on some arterial roads in Dub so when listening to Conor we need to remember that he works for an outfit whose remit and income comes from motorists.
    AA don't have a remit. The days of them being a member organisation are long gone. THey're an insurance company that sells products mostly to motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

AA also lobbied for higher speed limits on some arterial roads in Dub so when listening to Conor we need to remember that he works for an outfit whose remit and income comes from motorists.
    AA don't have a remit. The days of them being a member organisation are long gone. THey're an insurance company that sells products mostly to motorists.

Exactly why you’d think they’d want speed limits reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Are they an actual insurance company or just a broker?

It's a real shame there is no pedestrian or public transport users group and no paid cycling lobby equivalent to the AA in resources. Obviously Road Haulage has paid communications people too so trying to get walking and cycling noticed is an uphlill battle

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Sort of related to cycling... G.Thomas on channel 4 this morning. Something called Sunday Brunch you might be able to see it on All4 later.
    Thought he came across well, a good laugh.

Interesting (I thought) was he mentioned they don't eat carbs while training.

It's a real shame there is no pedestrian or public transport users group and no paid cycling lobby equivalent to the AA in resources. Obviously Road Haulage has paid communications people too so trying to get walking and cycling noticed is an uphlill battle

Is their a distinction in Ireland any more? I thought that they are effectively all brokers these days. The risk has been moved to bigger companies abroad.

I’d have imagined that whoever they are brokers for would be interested to know that representatives from their broker actively state that they don’t agree with making roads safer places by reducing speed limits in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Coming up on Ciara Kelly Newstalk:
    would you commute by bike given the increased funding in 2019?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

zell12 wrote: »
    Coming up on Ciara Kelly Newstalk:
    would you commute by bike given the increased funding in 2019?

FFS typical rubbish bandwagon jumping. No one has any idea where the money is going, so if you wouldn't before, you still won't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the increased funding equates to 'OMG FREE HI VIZ FOR ALL CYCLISTS!!!'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There won't be child washed in rural Mayo when that funding comes in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

But they are still a motoring lobby group as they were in their early days, even if your view is that that lobbying is just a marketing ploy to sell more of their product.

They also continue their breakdown service which they had from their early years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The short answer is: actual insurer
    The long answer is: is any insurer an actual insurer? AA are underwritten by three other companies to hedge losses on the claims; most insurers are.
    monument wrote: »
    But they are still a motoring lobby group as they were in their early days, even if your view is that that lobbying is just a marketing ploy to sell more of their product.

They also continue their breakdown service which they had from their early years.

The Central Bank actually considered this back in 2016 and would agree with your assessment.
    The AA is Ireland’s motoring organisation. It has acted as a lobbyist for motoring interests and
    in a leadership role supporting the consumer rights and interests of the motorist for over 100
    years. It is active in areas as diverse as road safety, progressive transport policies, motoring
    costs and taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

The AA have only ever offered to act as a broker to me! They offer to sell Aviva, etc products, not their own.
    This is for car, not sure for home or holiday insurance.

much as i hate myself for posting a daily mail link, but (deep breath)...

DR MICHAEL MOSLEY: Don't all shout but I refuse to wear a cycle helmet and here are my reasons why...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6522985/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-Dont-shout-refuse-wear-cycle-helmet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

wheelo01 wrote: »
    The AA have only ever offered to act as a broker to me! They offer to sell Aviva, etc products, not their own.
    This is for car, not sure for home or holiday insurance.

Used to work for them. They don't sell their own insurance products for both home or motor. They're a brokerage

Indirectly related to cycling, but WTF is happening with half of towed cars going unclaimed?

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-car-impounded-2018-4379001-Dec2018/

a lot of them were probably abandoned. and based on my experience of being clamped once, they will not tow you all the way to the pound if they can drop you in a parking space.

the context of what happened me - i was parked on shelbourne road many years ago doing a job in iona technologies which took far longer than i expected - but i hadn't realised that it was a clearway after 4, and when i came out my car had been lifted and placed in a parking space nearby, and clamped.
    the clamper told me that if there had not been an available parking space visible from where i'd parked, the car would have been towed to the pound.

on the other hand, i did once get an abandoned car lifted for a neighbour, when it was parked beside her house.

• Advertisement

Cycling 5,678 km in 70 days through 11 European countries
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/cycling-5-678-km-in-70-days-through-11-european-countries-1.3738500?

it's a weirdly unimaginative article title. it's written by a dubliner who cycled to budapest and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Indirectly related to cycling, but WTF is happening with half of towed cars going unclaimed?

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-city-council-car-impounded-2018-4379001-Dec2018/
    A lot of people leave their vehicles out hoping they'll be towed away so they don't have to get rid of them.

Take the breakers yard on the R132 just south of Swords. There's always a line of cars parked on the cycle track and has been for years. I was was passing a Garda car stopped in a queue one day with the windows open. I asked them why nothing ever seem to be done about the blocked track and they said that the owner wants them to tow away the cars but they are not going to give in to him.

A lot of people leave their vehicles out hoping they'll be towed away so they don't have to get rid of them.

Take the breakers yard on the R132 just south of Swords. There's always a line of cars parked on the cycle track and has been for years. I was was passing a Garda car stopped in a queue one day with the windows open. I asked them why nothing ever seem to be done about the blocked track and they said that the owner wants them to tow away the cars but they are not going to give in to him.

Surely in that case it’s simple. Fines for illegal parking. Surely as they rack up his attitude will change.

There was a place on Dorset street doing the same thing. Not so much leaving the cars in cycle lanes, but just leaving them in paid parking spaces in the hope the council would lift them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Surely in that case it’s simple. Fines for illegal parking. Surely as they rack up his attitude will change.
    It's not that simple. Usually the reg plates are removed so the vehicles could probably be described as 'abandoned' rather than illegally parked. Also, there's a 20 years old dispute going on regarding the road widening there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Cycling 5,678 km in 70 days through 11 European countries
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/cycling-5-678-km-in-70-days-through-11-european-countries-1.3738500?

it's a weirdly unimaginative article title. it's written by a dubliner who cycled to budapest and back.

Also weirdly, they deviated from the IT style guide, and didn't prepend "On yer bike!" to the title.

It's not that simple. Usually the reg plates are removed so the vehicles could probably be described as 'abandoned' rather than illegally parked. Also, there's a 20 years old dispute going on regarding the road widening there.

Surely the VIN could be used to identify the owner unless he has them removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

• Registered Users Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cyclist bashing on PatKenny NT at the minute
    paint bikes in luminous paint
    no flashing white front lights
    overtaking 2 abreast versus 10 in a single file
    microchip all bicycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-law-on-drivers-overtaking-cyclists-abandoned-1.3745451

"Mr Ross said it had proved exceptionally difficult to draft legislation on a minimum passing distance that was constitutional and that could be enforced, and as a result the Bill would not proceed."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement