Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

check_six wrote: »
    I haven't seen these things in the flesh. Can you cycle over them I wonder? Or are they a bit of a low lying trip wire?

they'd be fairly unpleasant to drive over and would definitely take you off your bike in a nasty way if you hit them.
    but there are huge gaps between them, meaning that vehicles can easily manouevre in and out to park, which they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Fian wrote: »
    I cycle past there every weekday. Accident had been cleared before i arrived this morning.

It is downhill and with the entrance to the school I have had a few close calls where traffic heading into town helpfully leave a gap and cars swing into the school without considering that cyclists might be coming down in the cycle lane inside the stopped traffic.

Hope cyclist recovers well.

Yeah, it's another of those things that nobody tells you: if you're going across a yellow box and all the cars are stopped, you have to slow right down and look in every direction before proceeding.

Not saying that's what happened here. It was just my closest call, in a largely uneventful cycling life, and I'd been cycling for ages when it happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

am i correct in thinking RoSPA is the body responsible for road safety in the UK? they certainly don't seem as motorist focussed as the RSA (going by their website anyway) but do offer advanced driving and motorcycle training.

https://www.rospa.com/
    I don't think ROSPA is focussed on road issues. AFAIK, they cover all safety issues, including household and workplace safety. I don't think they are a state body either.

Fian wrote: »
    I cycle past there every weekday. Accident had been cleared before i arrived this morning.

It is downhill and with the entrance to the school I have had a few close calls where traffic heading into town helpfully leave a gap and cars swing into the school without considering that cyclists might be coming down in the cycle lane inside the stopped traffic.

Hope cyclist recovers well.

Here's how it looked for me. Cyclists would often have a fair bit of speed going down the hill at this point.

https://streamable.com/kflag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I don't think ROSPA is focussed on road issues. AFAIK, they cover all safety issues, including household and workplace safety. I don't think they are a state body either.

Here's how it looked for me. Cyclists would often have a fair bit of speed going down the hill at this point.

https://streamable.com/kflag

The bike in the video does not look like it was built for speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/dec/11/cycles-for-cigarettes
    To get a bike, children must meet three requirements: they must get a smoker relative to quit, maintain strong grades while improving a weak area of study, and promise to ride for an hour a day.

“So far, we have distributed more than 4,000 bicycles, and our target is to give out at least 15,000,”

“We placed importance on the bicycle project because as you can see, the usage of motorcycles is very common,” he says. “Now, we’re seeing children coming to and from school on their bicycles.”

In addition to the bikes for kids scheme, Kilis has built a four-mile protected cycle lane lined with flowers along one street further out of the centre, near rows of modern apartment buildings. The mayor aims to build a 20-mile network of bike lanes throughout the city, including one along its main shopping street, Cumhuriyet Avenue, in an attempt to break the dominance of cars and motorcycles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1072516208963084289

How do you debate this?

I know he is an "anti" type radio host but I suspect he is posting this for more than just clicks. There's emotion in that hashtag.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

220px-Forbidden-151987.svg.png

Why did I read the comments? My eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

How do you debate this?

I know he is an "anti" type radio host but I suspect he is posting this for more than just clicks. There's emotion in that hashtag.

You don’t debate it. He posts crap like this from time to time, his followers lap it up and join in, cyclists post some actual hard data, and he continues to moan or shrug it off with “but I saw one guy so something one day so they’re all at it”.

Afraid you just have to accept that some people are idiots. Or maybe in this case, smart. It’s like a peter Casey tactic of stoking the fire to raise his profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The guy just trolls everyone and anyone, it's how he gets his callers, and therefore content for his show. It's easy money really.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    The guy just trolls everyone and anyone, it's how he gets his callers, and therefore content for his show. It's easy money really.

Yes, but given that he has the platform he has, he is also an influencer of sorts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seriously, if you engage, you're just providing the entertainment. It's what they want.

Don't be the dancing monkey.

Seriously, if you engage, you're just providing the entertainment. It's what they want.

Don't be the dancing monkey.

I haven't engaged. But generally speaking, just ignoring such views does contribute to the echo chamber scenario....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Leave them to it. For trolls, being ignored is a fate worse than death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I haven't engaged. But generally speaking, just ignoring such views does contribute to the echo chamber scenario....

We're all aware that people have these views. The only echo chamber is for those who are not self-aware or plain stupid. :et them duke it out on the same level of intelligence as Niall Boylan and his trolls

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The echo chamber is in his head. I have seen civil people try and debate him and he just ignores every statement, until a person used to reasoned debate falls apart. He is nothing but a mindless troll and believes he is Howard Stern rather than lonely, small minded, toss pot, your better off ignoring as he thrives like a parasite on people responding to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In fairness the Garda couldnt have known the bus broke the light as he was standing the far side of the junction with no view of the lights

Muahahaha wrote:
    In fairness the Garda couldnt have known the bus broke the light as he was standing the far side of the junction with no view of the lights

That's why they are in pairs. The guy who does sees shouts to the other.

Similar thing in Blackrock this morning. Silver polo ran the red light after me, swinging up the rock road. Gard who could see the lights at frascsti side shouted at the next guy down to pull him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Grassey wrote: »
    That's why they are in pairs. The guy who does sees shouts to the other.

Similar thing in Blackrock this morning. Silver polo ran the red light after me, swinging up the rock road. Gard who could see the lights at frascsti side shouted at the next guy down to pull him in.

They're doing the same at the KCR as well. They had two cars pulled in at the one time writing them up the other morning.

In a perfect world they'd be doing that all year round. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

They're doing the same at the KCR as well. They had two cars pulled in at the one time writing them up the other morning.

In a perfect world they'd be doing that all year round. :(

In a perfect world we'd have red light cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

His show in fairness is The Sun of radio. Attracts people who wouldn’t be the sharpest pins in the pack.

What’s curious about the photo though is that it’s a picture of cyclists riding safely and legally, taken by what looks like someone holding a mobile phone driving which is illegal. Probably by some snowflake in their car travelling 500m to Spar for their chicken fillet roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

amcalester wrote: »
    In a perfect world we'd have red light cameras.

Yeah, automatic enforcement. Two taypots standing at lights trying to catch people isn't exactly optimal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Pinch Flat wrote: »

What’s curious about the photo though is that it’s a picture of cyclists riding safely and legally, taken by what looks like someone holding a mobile phone driving which is illegal. Probably by some snowflake in their car travelling 500m to Spar for their chicken fillet roll.

I would assume that's a passenger taking the photo or someone with a really long arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Pinch Flat wrote: »

His show in fairness is The Sun of radio. Attracts people who wouldn’t be the sharpest pins in the pack.

Wow couldn't resist reading the comments there. He really is a pathetic little troll, has he nothing better to do than reply to all those with nothing more than the level of argument a 5 year old would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what is the first line about?
    Of course cyclist don’t break laws.
    it's as though he is answering some unknown people supposedly saying cyclists don't break any laws. Not sure who is saying this or what he is reading. Reminds me of the poster in the other thread who was seemignly hallucinating and seeing people condoning cycling without lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

zell12 wrote: »

On one hand the cyclist probably shouldn't bother trying to enforce the law, but god knows I've been pissed off and tried it myself. On the other hand it was an absolutely lovely bit of karma for someone who said they can drive just fine while using their phone (i.e. distracted)

And as expected, the comments are all jumping to the defence of the driver as the cyclist distracted him. Never read the bottom half of the internet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement