Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

"waves small Push Murphy and Gulak flags*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

beakerjoe wrote: »
    They are excellent wrestlers, just because you think they are **** isnt down to them.

If WWE actually did a decent job with them they could at least be in lower ranked feuds. Im not saying they should be main eventers, but they deserve better than jobber status.

You could easily use the BR to build one of the talents I mentioned. They wont and someone who doesnt need it or deserve it will most likley win.

For years the complaint about wrestlemania has been that it's too long, and the main event ends up suffering, this year we're getting all the faces who've been prominent on TV, plus a couple of newcomers in Rhea and omos, in 2 sub 3 hour shows, and the complaint is that the 24/7 lads won't get a chance to shine?

Be annoyed that someone you like is under utilized, but this idea that everyone deserves a mania spotlight is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

hynesie08 wrote: »
    For years the complaint about wrestlemania has been that it's too long, and the main event ends up suffering, this year we're getting all the faces who've been prominent on TV, plus a couple of newcomers in Rhea and omos, in 2 sub 3 hour shows, and the complaint is that the 24/7 lads won't get a chance to shine?

Be annoyed that someone you like is under utilized, but this idea that everyone deserves a mania spotlight is ridiculous.

I think Ive misconstrued my point. My point is that most of the '24/7' guys shouldnt be 24/7 guys.

They are all capable of being utilized better than being a jobber. I also think guys like Omos, Rhea, Riddle, Big E... all under card matches... could be presneted and pushed better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Remember when Gulak was with Bryan and fighting AJ?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Remember when Gulak was with Bryan and fighting AJ?

Then moved to Raw where talent goes to be forgotten about. Like Kalisto.... like Tucker,.... like Humberto.

Like I have have small problems with the card. My main issue is that most of the feuds have been built up horribly. There appears to be serious lack of any forward planning beyond say 2 weeks in advance.

Granted I'l say outside of Smackdown mens main event, Big E v Crews and Seth v Cesaro, all the builds blow. All are rushed, mishandled or just down right poor.

Raws main event does not appear to have been planned well as all. Bobby Lashley has been hotshotted to the title, they had plenty if time ti build a Lashley v Drew feud over the past year, but its been rushed and half heartedly feed to us since .... 4 weeks prior to WM.... is that a main event mania feud. Then the actual feud has zero direction. This bounty on Drew angle appears like such a last minute plan, then horning Corbin into the feud willy nilly does nothing to elevate either man or the title. No one wants Corbin, Lashley shouldnt need Corbin...he had the Hurt Buiness (who after being tag champs lose their titles in a non feud and get feed to Drew in the doace if two weeks.... fxuking awful.). Its a terrible build.

Sheamus v Riddle on paper is a good match up but a feud based around a feckin scooter is not my idea if a mid card title feud between two hard hitting competitors. Sheamus has been botched. The rudhed his turn and made it meaningless in a matter of weeks and now hes thrown half heartdly into a feud with the US champion over his annoyance of a scooter. Awful build.

Asuka v Rhea, like Riddle Shemsus, is a good match with a terrible build. When has debuting a new talent as a title contender ever worked out. Bayley did it when she debuted and it didnt work...but sure lets do it again and expect new results. Its lazy. Its got no heat, so lets do the tag team angle they did weeks ago with Sasha and Belair... which they do everyyear with a title feud. Its awful.

Belair v Sasha is not the hot feud it should be. Plenty of time to plan since the rumble and we get the Reginald nonsense, we get the can they coexist as a team angle and awful interactions in between. This feud deserves better.

Raw tag team title feud.... awful build around games and if it wasnt for Omos debut Id have zero interest. Its a rushed feud that gives me no reason to care esp with the game show antics from New Day. All 4 men deserve better.

Braun v Shane.... maybe.....maybe I could be interested if it had a good build. But no.... the juvenile antics of Shane McMahon do nothing for me. Braun is such a damaged character and he deserves better.

Its a good card with a terrible build. AEW prove its not hard to have some... mid term plans. These rushed feuds do the talent zero favours.

Rant over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd be of the view that if the build is bad then the card is bad, regardless of the potential quality of the actual matches.

It is an extremely poor Mania for me. Does anyone really want to see Shane v Braun when it's taking up a spot that could of been filled by a few talented lads like Black, Ricochet and Gulak?

Covid isn't an excuse given AEW have been generally putting on solid PPVs during the period that I've been willing to buy, and I'm not even a super fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭ThePott

I think the only thing that has me majorly excited is having the crowds back that will make it feel at least somewhat special.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ThePott wrote: »
    I think the only thing that has me majorly excited is having the crowds back that will make it feel at least somewhat special.

It could be some time before they tour Europe and the UK

Even touring the states/Canada as normal pre covid is not on the table for them atm

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'd be of the view that if the build is bad then the card is bad, regardless of the potential quality of the actual matches.

It is an extremely poor Mania for me. Does anyone really want to see Shane v Braun when it's taking up a spot that could of been filled by a few talented lads like Black, Ricochet and Gulak?

Covid isn't an excuse given AEW have been generally putting on solid PPVs during the period that I've been willing to buy, and I'm not even a super fan.

Yes.

Shane getting launched off the cage or through the cage or just ragdolled around will be infinitely more entertaining than a 15 minute workrate spectacle between two guys like Ricochet and Gulak who 0.3% of fans care about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Will the fans be the usual weekly fans or the "Bizarro" fans?
    It is Mania, but also wouldn't have all the ones travelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

J. Marston wrote: »
    Yes.

Shane getting launched off the cage or through the cage or just ragdolled around will be infinitely more entertaining than a 15 minute workrate spectacle between two guys like Ricochet and Gulak who 0.3% of fans care about.
    Can't really argue can I if you think a Shane spotfest is still worth seeing after all this time over a modern spotfest. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,521 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What's the story with Keith Lee and Jeff Hardy, any matches?

Can't really argue can I if you think a Shane spotfest is still worth seeing after all this time over a modern spotfest. ;)

Hes a past his prime non wrestler, who is not in any shape or form over in his role as self entitled son of the boss heel, against a 'missed the boat on talent' who is very basic as an in ring performer and one dimensional as a character.

In a match Shane has done multiple times before, with better opponents and when he was younger and in shape.

Its not fresh, not interesting and no one cares.

Ricochet vs Gulak would be infinitely better if they actually knew how to use the talent they employ.

Maybe if WWE knew how to use talent effectively then more would care about the wasted talent who are left to rot because an old senile owner doesnt get them.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What's the story with Keith Lee and Jeff Hardy, any matches?

Keith Lee is a mystery. Lots of rumours about Lee but nothing confirmed.

God knows about Jeff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Cotts72

A triple threat match between Keith Lee, ricochet and alister black would steal the show.

Christ I wish they'd ditch the money in the bank ppv. Those ladder matches always added to mania

Cotts72 wrote: »
    A triple threat match between Keith Lee, ricochet and alister black would steal the show.

Christ I wish they'd ditch the money in the bank ppv. Those ladder matches always added to mania

I wish they ended MITB as a concept. Its been run into the ground and cripples the talent going forward. It all feels stale and telegraphed.

When WWE get a good idea they hammer it into the ground to the point its ruined. They hadnt a breeze how to use it in 2020.

A big shake up of the main roster is needed but we all know it won't happen

Cotts72 wrote: »

Yes I miss MITB at WM, should have 12 competitiors earning spots for all shows Nxt included

How much is Rollins spending on these suits?

There some suits tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I wish they ended MITB as a concept. Its been run into the ground and cripples the talent going forward. It all feels stale and telegraphed.

When WWE get a good idea they hammer it into the ground to the point its ruined. They hadnt a breeze how to use it in 2020.

This a million percent. MITB should be a ladder match at Wrestlemania for a guaranteed shot at the IC title at Summerslam, but that would require the IC title meaning something.

They ruined it by granting such unlimited power that if you don't win the title with it you look like a joke for blowing such an easy opportunity and when you do you still look like a joke cos you waited til the champion was incapacitated to steal his belt.

It suited Edge. Once, 10 or more years ago and basically no one else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Caesaro's first singles match at Wrestlemania, jaysus.. that promo was fairly meh though so maybe it shouldn't be that big a surprise

Caesaro's first singles match at Wrestlemania, jaysus.. that promo was fairly meh though so maybe it shouldn't be that big a surprise

His swing will do the talking for him :p

Ive been enjoying the feud but yeah, its a pity Cesaro is so uncomfortable speaking. I don't think this is a 'scripted promo' issue, he just hasnt got it when it comes to public speaking sadly.

Its still one of the better feuds going into Mania.

Ive been enjoying the feud but yeah, its a pity Cesaro is so uncomfortable speaking. I don't think this is a 'scripted promo' issue, he just hasnt got it when it comes to public speaking sadly.

Its still one of the better feuds going into Mania.

It really doesn't help either that Rollins is so comfortable and good when he talks, it makes Caesaro sound even more uncomfortable when he tries to respond.

His swing will do the talking for him :p

That's the worst thing, Caesaro is likeable and you want him to succeed but they need to get someone else to do the talking for him( outside of the swing :D)

Seemingly not a lot...

ceg1v1xdazq61.jpg

"Take a Swing" was fine that's all he needed to say

It's probably my favourite feud match for WM

Louis Copeland for Rollins suits, tie dye, dip dye :p Rollins excels as heel

"Take a Swing" was fine that's all he needed to say

It's probably my favourite feud match for WM

Louis Copeland for Rollins suits, tie dye, dip dye :p Rollins excels as heel

I did enjoy that line.

• Advertisement

Bryan had momentum this week, will it be Roman next week for the final SD before WM

Advertisement