Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Ospreys tg4 and BBCW

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

molloyjh wrote: »

And the appetite for the tackles tonight was great to see, even if the system was a bit shaky.

I obviously don't know what the actual system is,but it looked to me lime the idea was for ferocious tackling with 2 man hits in tight leaving the wings exposed for a strong drift to handle.
    Whatever the system was worked very well allowing for real aggression knowing others were covering for you. It required top notch work from dave, isa and Zane, wick fir the most part they were well able for.

It was a very exciting defensive effort to watch and I look forward to seeing more of it - no matter who is coaching it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

His strength and conditioning team know what they are doing and he was never and will never be too big or too small. He will be exactly the weight / size he is training and told to train for.

He is a sort of Mozart of the front row:

EMPEROR: Well, I mean occasionally it seems to have too many notes.

MOZART: I don't understand. There are just as many notes, Majesty, as are required. Neither more nor less.

EMPEROR: My dear, young man, don't take it too hard. Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Cut a few and it will be perfect.

MOZART: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I'm definitely in the "Healy was too fat" group. Looked much better last night when he didn't resemble the Michelin man.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

5-0 against the Ospreys. No one dreamed we'd get that. A great performance.

Getting very excited about this season.

Conceding miles too many points and I still don't think the backs are good enough at all. Not going to pummel everyone up front like did to the Ospreys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Conceding miles too many points and I still don't think the backs are good enough at all. Not going to pummel everyone up front like did to the Ospreys.

Sheesh.

We went 31-0 up. The points were conceded when the contest was over and a raft of subs had been made. We could have played a lot more conservatively in the last 20 minutes and run down the clock.

The backs played very well. Sexton was the weak link but it was his first game in 4 months.

The Ospreys have a great pack. You can't just dismiss the fact that we dominated them up front. We won't come up against too many better packs this year.

It's ok to enjoy a great win.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the win quite a lot but I'm certainly not getting carried away. People are mentioning Leinster on here as European contenders. I don't see that yet.

The backs played fine but they're not dangerous. There's not a whole lot of pace or ability to beat defenders. I'm looking forward to Henshaw coming in because he'll change things up quite a lot. In a tight match they're not going to cut anyone open and win it for us. And of course there'll be better packs than the Ospreys last night, that's just silly.

Edits:
    I think the pack is in pretty good shape, lot of quality and depth.

One other thing, the comment on points conceded is a pattern we've seen this season, not just the second half yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I enjoyed the win quite a lot but I'm certainly not getting carried away. People are mentioning Leinster on here as European contenders. I don't see that yet.

The backs played fine but they're not dangerous. There's not a whole lot of pace or ability to beat defenders. I'm looking forward to Henshaw coming in because he'll change things up quite a lot. In a tight match they're not going to cut anyone open and win it for us. And of course there'll be better packs than the Ospreys last night, that's just silly.

Edits:
    I think the pack is in pretty good shape, lot of quality and depth.

One other thing, the comment on points conceded is a pattern we've seen this season, not just the second half yesterday.

Ospreys are a very good team and we were never going to keep them scoreless. Yet at 70 mins they only had 5 points on the board. The yellow Sexton got was harsh as while he technically was offside it had no impact on the game and you'd often see that ignored. I think the ref was working hard to even things up a bit at that stage. Ospreys then managed 2 tries in 3 mins while we struggled to adapt with a man down. Once those few minutes were up we spent the rest of the game in the Ospreys half.

We had dodgy second halves prior to yesterday. Yesterday was not a dodgy second half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ospreys were a man up and the game was over when they scored tries. I don't think it's much to be concerned about. What matters at this stage of the season is 5-0 against a playoff contender. The biggest change from the Treviso home game was the aggressiveness in defence: night and day.

Dan Leavy though. He has got quite the acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ospreys were a man up and the game was over when they scored tries. I don't think it's much to be concerned about. What matters at this stage of the season is 5-0 against a playoff contender. The biggest change from the Treviso home game was the aggressiveness in defence: night and day.

The defence was generally outstanding. There were some errors and gaps that led to the scores but the aggression and hunger was superb.

In the last 5 minutes I lost count of the number of times we killed them behind the gain line as they sought a losing BP.

The back line still needs work. The lack of a cutting edge in the back three will always hurt us. DK delivered a good DK game. Good decisions, hit hard, got on the ball, picked good lines etc but he isn't someone who will open up the opposition.

VDF was simply immense. Looks like he has used the summer to work on his strength. He was far more of a nuisance at the breakdown. Comprehensively outplayed Tipuric.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Going to sound like a strange criticism especially after getting the try bonus, but I think Leinster still struggle to finish off try scoring chances. We saw that especially when Ospreys went down to 14. Leinster were too eager to go wide and were put into touch and then knocked it on. More patience is needed.

• Advertisement

Agreed on VdF I thought he was really really excellent.

Also totally agree on the comment above on Kearney. Did well at the things he does well. Put in some really good reads in defence. But he's limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    Going to sound like a strange criticism especially after getting the try bonus, but I think Leinster still struggle to finish off try scoring chances. We saw that especially when Ospreys went down to 14. Leinster were too eager to go wide and were put into touch and then knocked it on. More patience is needed.

That wasn't a knock on though. It was a try all day long. The ball clearly went backwards. And in the last quarter Ospreys got away with a fair bit. They clearly took out 2 chasers off a Nacewa kick and turned over ball despite not supporting their own weight at the breakdown.

It was the first or second game of the season for a lot of guys. They will get better.

Watching through it again, I think VdF has to make the Ireland team. He's just superb.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watching through it again, I think VdF has to make the Ireland team. He's just superb.

He did alright in the 6 Nations. I'd say he'd have gone to South Africa if not for his injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote:
    That wasn't a knock on though. It was a try all day long. The ball clearly went backwards. And in the last quarter Ospreys got away with a fair bit. They clearly took out 2 chasers off a Nacewa kick and turned over ball despite not supporting their own weight at the breakdown.

Almost as odd as the knock on call against McGrath near the touchline when he juggled a ball and popped it backwards. You could hear the indignant groan from the crowd.

Very odd decisions. Definitely think there was some significant leniency for the Ospreys given the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Buer wrote: »
    Almost as odd as the knock on call against McGrath near the touchline when he juggled a ball and popped it backwards. You could hear the indignant groan from the crowd.

Very odd decisions. Definitely think there was some significant leniency for the Ospreys given the score.

I was similarly outraged but watching the recording, you can see the Ospreys guy got a hand to it so it was a double knock on, Mitrea got it right.

Advertisement