Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Ospreys tg4 and BBCW

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well, good in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

5-0 against the Ospreys. No one dreamed we'd get that. A great performance.

Getting very excited about this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Very good performance but the drop off in the second half is a real concern.

Osperys could teach Leinster a thing or two about defending, there chasing a 2 score lead and are still defending better than Leinster.

The team that have had 4 tries scored against them can teach the side that have had 2?

Logic not your strong point there lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Osperys could teach Leinster a thing or two about defending, there chasing a 2 score lead and are still defending better than Leinster.

Plenty of teams take their foot off the gas when the game is in the bag. Nothing to worry about, it's a long season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Excellent 1st half. Once the replacements came on, it turned a bit to custard. Not sure Mike Ross should be anywhere near the bench.

Enjoy the night lads and ladesses.

5-0 against the Ospreys. No one dreamed we'd get that. A great performance.

Getting very excited about this season.

Excellent result and a great start to a difficult 3 game run leading into Europe.

Bring on the next one.

The only part of the team I feel we need to improve in to become a challenger is midfield, and we have Henshaw to come back still.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The only part of the team I feel we need to improve in to become a challenger is midfield, and we have Henshaw to come back still.

I feel back row is a concern.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Very good performance but the drop off in the second half is a real concern.

Dropping off marginally when 31-5 up and the game in the bag (and latterly a man in the bin) is not a concern. It was a totally dominant victory.

Buer wrote: »

OK fair enough, we have two concerns. Midfield and Buer's sanity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Buer wrote: »

Yeah. I actually don't think we have any depth there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It wasn't even hard for JVDF to beat biggar 1v1

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Dropping off marginally when 31-5 up and the game in the bag (and latterly a man in the bin) is not a concern. It was a totally dominant victory.

Completely agree, but when I consider the last 2 performances aswell it is a concern. Its all fixable but they need to start soon with Europe around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Talking points:

Noel Reid is rock solid. Did not see that coming.

Healy is back. 60 minutes of skittling Ospreys, great to see.

Dave K will be playing for Ireland in Chicago.

Luke McGrath has improved immensely.

Kirchner is a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Talking points:

Noel Reid is rock solid. Did not see that coming.

Healy is back. 60 minutes of skittling Ospreys, great to see.

Dave K will be playing for Ireland in Chicago.

Kirchner is a class act.

I've consistently said that Reid isn't good enough because of his defense but my god he is so good with ball in hand.

I agree with most of your post but I'd add that Kirchner is a class act at full back. I don't think he's a great winger

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster's front 5 smashed their Ospreys counterparts. Game was won from there. Healy was good. Getting back to his old form.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This is good news for Ireland. I'm not saying he's at Murray's level but we've pretty much had Murray out on his own for a while now.

So how do we play Cardiff next week?

Wouldn't mind see us pick Leavy and JvDF and target their back three in the air, I think that could be their big weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Very enjoyable evening in the RDS! Very entertaining match - everyone played well. Great to have Sexton back. Cian Healy again showed that he has his mojo back. The pack minces the Osprey pack, but there was great tackling by the backs too - Noel Reid CAN tackle, so I was wrong about him. It was hard enough to pick one MOTM, but Van der Flier deserved it.

We went off the boil in the last quarter, but the match was well and truly won then. Great to see a performance like that as we approach the Champions Cup matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

So good to hear Healy is regaining form. Was bulking up the problem? He was absolutely massive before the World Cup, but seems to have shredded some mass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

It was good game. Glad I watched it.:) Ospreys are a top team.:cool:

Sanjuro wrote: »
    So good to hear Healy is regaining form. Was bulking up the problem? He was absolutely massive before the World Cup, but seems to have shredded some mass.

No. He is still a massive unit, he was repeatedly injured. He was never too big and naturally filled out somewhat as he got older which has improved his set piece, tackling and ground work.

His strength and conditioning team know what they are doing and he was never and will never be too big or too small. He will be exactly the weight / size he is training and told to train for.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I love the fact Isa has invented the ability to teleport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

No. He is still a massive unit, he was repeatedly injured. He was never too big and naturally filled out somewhat as he got older which has improved his set piece, tackling and ground work.

His strength and conditioning team know what they are doing and he was never and will never be too big or too small. He will be exactly the weight / size he is training and told to train for.

Fair enough. His mobility in the last year was not as good as previous seasons. And coupling that with the photos of him lifting insane volumes of weight, you draw conclusions. Probably why I've never managed to get that strength and conditioning job for the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I genuinely think his hand was crippled last year, he must have done a lot more rehab in the off season to get proper strength and grip back in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

He was rushed back a bit last year, I think? Maybe shouldn't have been involved in the Ireland squads at all, for his own sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He was most likely just carrying numerous niggles. Didn't he have surgery on his knee recently?

Anyhow, this evening he was running like he used to back in '11/12. Doing his signature windmill arm swing as he changed direction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Also a proper pre season will help too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,123 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Last season he would play with more strapping than an Egyptian mummy.... Forearms, elbows, thighs and his feet were basically fused into his boots.

Today he had partially none, none that I could see from the North stand anyway.

His freedom of movement is allowing his better play, which tells me he hasn't been fully fit in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I was so happy with that game I came straight home and watched it again. Leinster were totally dominant for about 75 mins of that game so it was great to see no second half drop off. Our pack is just ridiculous at this stage and the competition in the squad is great. And for all the grief he gets Dave Kearney was great again today.

Leo really does deserve huge praise for the work done in the last few months. And you'd have to think we'll only get better as guys get more experience playing like this.

Thought the ref did his best to even things up in the last quarter. Some very bizarre calls or lack of at times. And the yellow he gave Sexton was madness. Sure he was technically offside, but he wasn't interfering with play at all. We had Ospreys well under control until that point really. The tackle from Zane just before the card was superb.

And the appetite for the tackles tonight was great to see, even if the system was a bit shaky. Noel Reid deserves a mention for really upping his game there. Also thought Luke was excellent.

To think that we have Strauss, SOB, Conan, Henshaw and Rob to come back yet as well as guys like Nagle and Ross Byrne. We're coming along quite nicely. Leo seems to be building a really good environment there too which is fantastic. We just need to address a few issues with the set piece and bed down the defensive system and we'll be in a very good place.

Advertisement