Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One S

Options
  • 22-09-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Didn't wanna mess up the general Xbox One thread so just wondering about people's thoughts on the new console, the controller etc. How are you finding it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I actually havent used the new controller yet, still using the Halo one I won and keeping the new one in its plastic :D

I like the new console though I am not fond of it being white.
    When I am at home, i use the little stand it came with to keep it up right but when I go away I just use it laying down.
    Nice not having the brick to lug around too and its a lot more quiet than the big brother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I can't do an exact comparison on speed, because my broadband is also in much better health now than it was. Boot times are better and the initial install time flew by, when compared to original. But some of that is certainly attributable to better net speed.

I find it much quieter than the One. It's also nice not to have the charger "brick", which my toddler used to get better tv viewing angles. Other toddler-related pluses, the "on" button isn't as sensitive. Believe me, that's a good thing. Design is better.

Love the new controller. Feels much more comfortable and like the way I can use it on pc as well, without an adaptor.
    I haven't got UHD Bluray discs yet, but I plan on getting some and like that it is a feature.

I had a 1TB external drive with all games on that. I just plugged it in and games were detected. There is some initialisation process, but no need to download everything again.

I've copied and pasted what I said about it in the "other" thread.

Like Max, I am impressed by how quiet it is. Unlike Max, I like the colour! I've never bothered standing it upright. I may have mentioned children a few times in my comments?! Basically, an upright console would be something new and interesting that would be inviting a kicking.

I didn't get into graphics reviews. I do have a 4K compatible tv and the S detects that in installation process. It feels good anyway! As I said above, I plan on buying a few UHD's to test that out.

I'm still waiting on my Kinect adaptor. Miss that slightly. Especially in these last few days of Xbox Fitness. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Did anyone who bought the S, transfer over from the original?
    Did you have games on an external drive on the original?

Can you just plug your usb drive with xbox games on it, into a new xbox and get gaming again?

Yes, I had the games I played the most on an external HD, when I got the S i just plugged it in and they worked, dont remember if there was any installation needed before hand.

Edit: Just remembered there was no installation required, my mate came over with his external HD and plugged it into the xbox, played his games with no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thanks for that Max.
    I'd hate to have to download 1.6Tb of games again.

I have like 132 games and 42 apps installed on that drive and only 4 are physical :D

I'm tempted to get the S now :o

• Advertisement

There were a lot of games I didnt have on the external HD like some of the Free Games with Gold and they downloaded pretty quickly onto the One S.
    To be honest, I forgot I had put them in the Q to download when I started playing some games and only noticed when I got the pop up to say it was done downloading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

has anyone noticed if windows streaming is any better with the one s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I really like the console. I'm not really a fan of the rough back for grip on the controller though, but overall it feels nice, bumpers feel more like the 360 ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,871 ✭✭✭Soarer

Can I pick people's brains?

I'm looking to get a console, and I don't know whether the One S or the PS4 Pro.

I've a new 4K hdr enabled tv, and instead of paying a few hundred for a dedicated bluray player, I figured I may as well get a console of sorts.

So what's the general consensus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Soarer wrote: »
    Can I pick people's brains?

I'm looking to get a console, and I don't know whether the One S or the PS4 Pro.

I've a new 4K hdr enabled tv, and instead of paying a few hundred for a dedicated bluray player, I figured I may as well get a console of sorts.

So what's the general consensus?

If you're wanting it as a bluray player then the Xbox One S is your best option as it plays UHD Blu-ray, the PS4 Pro doesn't :pac:

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If you're wanting it as a bluray player then the Xbox One S is your best option as it plays UHD Blu-ray, the PS4 Pro doesn't :pac:

Didn't realise that! Job done so.

Bit of an oversight on Sony's part.

It's ridiculous tbh.

It's ridiculous tbh.

Especially when they were one of the leading lights that killed off HD-DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I'm in the same boat as you, not knowing which one to get. If you're going to be gaming on it, the PS4 pro is far more powerful than the Xbox one s. Are you really going to watch that many 4K dvds? I'll just be using whichever one I get for streaming. I really thought there'd be a lot more replies in these thread. That might tell you something in itself.

Tilikum wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, not knowing which one to get. If you're going to be gaming on it, the PS4 pro is far more powerful than the Xbox one s. Are you really going to watch that many 4K dvds? I'll just be using whichever one I get for streaming. I really thought there'd be a lot more replies in these thread. That might tell you something in itself.

Then Scoprio will be so much more powerful than PS4 Pro and so it continues...

We have lots of different threads for Xbox, the Xbox general discussion thread being the main one people discuss in.

If you're wanting to make the most out of your 4K tv movie wise, then streaming comes nowhere near as close to UHD Blu-ray for quality & detail.

So the S can....
    Play UHD blurays
    Stream 4K
    Be used as a 4K media player, and just plug in an external hdd?

And the Pro can do all the above except play the discs?

Pretty much except you can pick up an S for e230 these days if you wait and the Pro is about 400 I believe?

You can also use external HDDs for games on Xbox but you can't with PS, yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Pretty much except you can pick up an S for e230 these days if you wait and the Pro is about 400 I believe?

Yes but I'd much prefer to be able to install a new hard drive in the Xbox than having to lug about an external hard drive always.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,957 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tinie wrote: »
    Yes but I'd much prefer to be able to install a new hard drive in the Xbox than having to lug about an external hard drive always.

It's hardly lugging when the HD is smaller than a wallet.

Bear in mind the Neo looks huge compared to the One S so you'll be lugging that around anyway ;)

• Advertisement

Tinie wrote: »

Why don't you then?

You can do it, it's just more difficult than PS4. I'd much prefer to have the option of external storage myself.

New TV ad for the S:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ooh, where can you get it for €230? I was away at the weekend and missed out on the Amazon deal for £200 / €230.

Ooh, where can you get it for €230? I was away at the weekend and missed out on the Amazon deal for £200 / €230.

Deal is over now unfortunately. Mine was delivered from Amazon today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Got mine as well from amazon today about time ha ha. Thanks to the work partnership offer and the extra 25 pound back code it worked out at 158 pound with Fifa so about 180 euros. I cant get over that price.

Only reason i updated was for the 4K blu ray player these go for over 500 euros :O and support of 4K TV.

Got mine as well from amazon today about time ha ha. Thanks to the work partnership offer and the extra 25 pound back code it worked out at 158 pound with Fifa so about 180 euros. I cant get over that price.

Only reason i updated was for the 4K blu ray player these go for over 500 euros :O and support of 4K TV.

If your looking to move on your Fifa Code some posted in the Xbox Bargain Alert Thread looking for one.

Also got mine today. Loving it! :D

Don't forget to order your free kinect adapter from Xbox support. Even if you won't use it, you might as well take it for free as they sell for €40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

emmetkenny wrote: »
    If your looking to move on your Fifa Code some posted in the Xbox Bargain Alert Thread looking for one.

Dog no won't be selling that haha.

Another reason for buying the deal was to get fifa 17.

Also got mine today. Loving it! :D

Don't forget to order your free kinect adapter from Xbox support. Even if you won't use it, you might as well take it for free as they sell for €40

Can we get a knighting meme for us fancy pants with the S now?

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Can we get a knighting meme for us fancy pants with the S now?

Paging Dr. Failsafe....

Advertisement