Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Well 2.5m3 is a fair bit of wood but it depends how often you light the fire. For comparison last winter I had 1.2m3 of hardwood and lit around two fires a week with three the odd time. It lasted from mid October to around about Paddys day. If I had 2.5m3 I reckon I could get nearly two winters out of it.

To find out the volume in cubic meters you need to measure the height by width by depth of whatever it comes in (a crate or a trailer presumably) to arrive at your answer of exactly how much you are getting. Also be aware of the difference between hand stacked logs in a crate and logs in a bulk bag that has about 30% fresh air in it and thus less logs than a crate.

re: moisture meters they pop up in Aldi/Lidi middle aisles from time to time, around about 15 euro or so. But if you need one quicker then Amazon/ebay should have them for a similar price. Note the cheap ones are not super accurate but they will at least give you a fair idea of how dry the wood is.

If you're going ahead with the local fella in Donegal its a good idea to ask him what moisture content is it before you buy and better if you had a moisture meter to check it upon arrival. Ideally it should be 20% moisture or less but if it showed up and it was 25% I wouldnt be too bothered as it will get drier again in your shed. But if it came in at 35 or 40% Id be sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have used compressed sawdust logs called Rocket Blazers. A pallett of 96 bales I got this time last year and I have still 10 left now.

Ok I burn Ecobrite smokeless coal and eco logs in a 16kw backboiler stove running 11 rads.

On average, ove the last few years, I burn 1 ton of Ecobrite coal and 90 bales of Rocket Blazer ecologs from October through to April, stove burning average 8-10 hours a day.

I found the ecologs easier to use than wood logs, easier to store (must be water tight), and they have moisture of 8-10%.
    I got fed up with checking logs for moisture at delivery time and getting consistant heat from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

How much you paying for the Rocket Blazer ecologs and where you getting them👍

soap1978 wrote: »
    How much you paying for the Rocket Blazer ecologs and where you getting them👍

A pallet of 96 bales, with free delivery €399.

https://www.ecologs.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

lenscap wrote: »
    I have used compressed sawdust logs called Rocket Blazers. A pallett of 96 bales I got this time last year and I have still 10 left now.

Ok I burn Ecobrite smokeless coal and eco logs in a 16kw backboiler stove running 11 rads.

On average, ove the last few years, I burn 1 ton of Ecobrite coal and 90 bales of Rocket Blazer ecologs from October through to April, stove burning average 8-10 hours a day.

I found the ecologs easier to use than wood logs, easier to store (must be water tight), and they have moisture of 8-10%.
    I got fed up with checking logs for moisture at delivery time and getting consistant heat from them.

You can keep a 16kw back boiler stove going 10 hours a day on 6 of those eco logs...with coal ? How much coal are you burning a day ? in KG ?

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    You can keep a 16kw back boiler stove going 10 hours a day on 6 of those eco logs...with coal ? How much coal are you burning a day ? in KG ?

Yes, but remember it's average over 6-7 months over the last 3 years.
    So average coal is 5 or 6 kg. I know it sounds ridiculously small amount but that is the average of 3 years fuel consumption.
    One year I have logs left over, another I ran out and had to use local logs.
    Max running stove is 10 hours and that is only in very cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

gooner99 wrote: »
    I might just take a chance as it's local in Donegal. I have a shed to store the wood, so at least the moisture content shouldn't rise too much in the coming months.

How do It tell how much wood I would actually get?

Is there a moisture meter I can get at a decent price?

Got this yesterday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003CSNV2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_o51yFb27A6AGV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

First time log buyer here! Looking at the 2m pallet of ash/oak for 350...any better value out there? I assume the ash/oak is worth the extra 20 over the birch?!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Pacifico wrote: »
    First time log buyer here! Looking at the 2m pallet of ash/oak for 350...any better value out there? I assume the ash/oak is worth the extra 20 over the birch?!

Yeah definitely. Birch is good for starting a fire it burns hot but it doesn't last long compared to oak or Ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

deisedav wrote: »
    Yeah definitely. Birch is good for starting a fire it burns hot but it doesn't last long compared to oak or Ash.

Also birch is very messy inside the house with bits of bark peeling off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

OmegaGene wrote: »

As they’re charging €263 for a crate it looks like an expensive place.

Pacifico wrote: »

Yeah Im going to go with the 2m3 crate this year myself as it offers better value over the 1.2m3 ones-
    1.2m3 @ 240 euro = 200 euro per cubic metre
    2m3 @ 350 euro = 175 euro per cubic metre

The 'free delivery' you get is really costing you 50 euro so there is an overall saving by buying it in bigger quantities (if you have the storage space) and hence having less deliveries. Out of the 2m3 I'll likely use about 1.2m3 of wood this winter and then have 0.8m3 left to get me two thirds the way through the following winter, perhaps to about February. Then another 2m3 crate will finish off that winter and take care of all of the next one with no need to buy again for the winter of 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

A pallet of 96 bales, with free delivery €399.

Are these worth the extra money to hardwood logs? Or is 96 bales bigger than the 1.2/2m pallets? What am I missing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Zulu wrote: »
    Are these worth the extra money to hardwood logs? Or is 96 bales bigger than the 1.2/2m pallets? What am I missing here?
    I can't answer the particular ones referred to here, but in general these eco-logs have a much higher calorific value than wood logs.

The ones I use are 4 per 10kg pack (the ones referred to here are 12 per 10kg pack), and if I light the stove at teatime I would use 2 or 2.5 maximum over the course of the night, which heats a large room with a high ceiling.

The main reason I use them is that I have no place to store actual logs, and these are easily stacked in a plastic storage bin out the back, but they're really efficient and clean and I'm happy to pay a bit of a premium for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Im going to go with the 2m3 crate this year myself as it offers better value over the 1.2m3 ones-
    1.2m3 @ 240 euro = 200 euro per cubic metre
    2m3 @ 350 euro = 175 euro per cubic metre

The 'free delivery' you get is really costing you 50 euro so there is an overall saving by buying it in bigger quantities (if you have the storage space) and hence having less deliveries. Out of the 2m3 I'll likely use about 1.2m3 of wood this winter and then have 0.8m3 left to get me two thirds the way through the following winter, perhaps to about February. Then another 2m3 crate will finish off that winter and take care of all of the next one with no need to buy again for the winter of 2022.

Trying to figure out in the thread but who is the 2m³ supplier you are using?
    Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

legend99 wrote: »
    Tks

Www.Monahans.ie

Same company as

Www.Logsforsale.ie

So I know as I ask this that it could be a super stupid question, but how high is the 2m3?

(I'm presuming that it's not 2x2x2 but rather the same volume in a different shape)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭TTTT

So I know as I ask this that it could be a super stupid question, but how high is the 2m3?

(I'm presuming that it's not 2x2x2 but rather the same volume in a different shape)

2m³ = 2x1x1
    2x2x2 = 8m³

legend99 wrote: »
    Tks

yeah as vic said it is Monahans in Straffan, Co.Kildare who deliver nationwide anyway . Ordered a 1.2m3 crate from them last year and it went smoothly. Will likely order a 2m3 crate from them in the coming weeks unless some good offer pops up elsewhere.

• Advertisement

TTTT wrote: »
    2m³ = 2x1x1
    2x2x2 = 8m³
    Your right; I might have hoped the salient point/question would stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭TTTT

Your right; I might have hoped the salient point/question would stand.

Sorry.

I bought one a few years ago and it was
    2.0m high x 1.2m wide x 0.8m deep
    Standard pallet size

Sorry.
    Your grand :o
    I bought one a few years ago and it was
    2.0m high x 1.2m wide x 0.8m deep
    Standard pallet size
    2m high; thanks!

Now I've a roof to measure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Okay new stove installed and not lit it up but it's getting cold and be lighting it up soon

Living in Dublin so looking for supplies as noobie so don't know where to start

Also need to look for firewood bunker but that's another post

@Irish Gunner, loads of info on the thread but in general-
    -Buy firewood by cubic metre volume, not by weight as the moisture level dictates weight. Heavy firewood=firewood that is wet and doesnt burn well
    -Hardwood better than softwood, it burns longer for less volume. If you've bought wood in a petrol station before it was likely softwood and it burns very quickly so you need bigger quentities of it to get the same heat
    -Seek kiln dried to below 20% moisture, drier wood burns better and is less smokey
    -Ash/Oak burn tend to burn hotter/longer than beech or birch. Birch can also be quite sparky which isnt good for glass stove doors
    -Better value buying in crates where the logs are hand stacked over bulk bags which are not the volume of wood they state (lots of air in the bag because of loosely stacked wood, maybe as much as 30%). A bulk bag or tonne bag is typically 80cmx80cmx80cm which is 0.51cm3. When hand stacked in a log store it is even less than that.

On suppliers a few here used Co-Op Superstores as they had a good offer on at the start of last winter. I used www.monahans.ie and will likely do so again. Better to use a bricks and mortar fuel merchant than a Facebook operation with little comeback.
    -

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

A fair summation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Okay new stove installed and not lit it up but it's getting cold and be lighting it up soon

Living in Dublin so looking for supplies as noobie so don't know where to start

Also need to look for firewood bunker but that's another post

If you're getting a pallet of fire wood and would be able to get it around the side/back of the house, get another pallet to sit on top and a tarp to cover it. Saves breaking down the pallet and moving/stacking the logs.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

Is it worth going for kiln over seasoned (genuinely actually seasoned) where they are just going to be stored in a garden shed?
    ie will the kiln dried deteriorate/take on a moisture in a typical timber garden shed.

Sorry for the late reply as I was away.

The logs I am referring are compressed sawdust logs.
    I have tried all sorts of sawdust logs over the last few years and I have found these ones to be the best. They don't expand and are long burning and low moisture.

I use them in a stove where I can control the rate of burn.
    The only drawback is that they MUST be kept dry, so they need to be stored correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭cathy427

Sorry for the late reply as I was away.

The logs I am referring are compressed sawdust logs.
    I have tried all sorts of sawdust logs over the last few years and I have found these ones to be the best. They don't expand and are long burning and low moisture.

I use them in a stove where I can control the rate of burn.
    The only drawback is that they MUST be kept dry, so they need to be stored correctly.

Would you recommend these over kiln dried? Do they work out at much of a premium over kiln dried?

Also are you referring to the "rocket blaze" or the "blazing briquettes" or the "birch hardwood ruf briquettes"

Advertisement