Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Dragons, Sat 17th Sept 5:15pm; Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Delighted for JR, he's really brought it this year.

Painful to watch but can't be easy to play when the referee doesn't seem to understand the breakdown at all.

If that try had been disallowed and it seems the TMO was pushing for that I think we would have lost this.

Pretty shambolic.

Wasn't overly impressed with Tyler but he has the year to improve, Murray was a little off but will improve next week. Stander continues to save Munster every single match, without him there would have been no champions cup this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Well let's give Bleyendaal a bit of time to get fit but if that's what he's bringing to the table then... Bill Johnston?

Will be the end of year before Johnston is available but he's definitely worth a shot in the pro 12.
    Scannell and Saili/Arnold will be massive additions midfield options just aren't good enough at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well let's give Bleyendaal a bit of time to get fit but if that's what he's bringing to the table then... Bill Johnston?

Or ibf?
    You fit?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

In fairness, he missed a clear obstruction for the last try so lets not complain...

Smart running lines. The very thing Joe Schmidt has built his sides around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

kuang1 wrote: »
    Or ibf?
    You fit?!

I don't think the IRFU would sanction the signing, unfortunately for Munster

Didn't realise Johnston would be out that long, big shame and hopefully won't set back his development too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Holland retiring was such a kick in the teeth. I thought Bleyendaal started well and then faded.

Smart running lines. The very thing Joe Schmidt has built his sides around.

Provided you don't run into and block a player and give away a penalty, the exact opposite to what Joe would look for, very lucky to get away with it and if you can't see the difference you haven't been paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Even the mighty All Blacks get pinged for lazy running occasionally;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Sweetnam looks a very handy player tbf. Was less impressed with the rest of the backs but that'll improve as Earls and Zero come back to match fitness. Centres are a problem.

• Advertisement

I'll have to watch it over again, or highlights at least. But did Bohane do ok generally? I think he did?

I don't think the IRFU would sanction the signing, unfortunately for Munster

I'll start an online petition!

But you're right about Johnston. Shame indeed.

Clegg wrote: »
    Sweetnam looks a very handy player tbf. Was less impressed with the rest of the backs but that'll improve as Earls and Zero come back to match fitness. Centres are a problem.

Yeah he looked good, did well with the fairly poor service he got inside. That said, he was incredibly careless for the final try and got let off the hook big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Yes, let's not get overly concerned, there are glimpses of the side we could become, it's not yet consistent, or clinical but we are showing signs of becoming a good side.....luckily, none of our opposition will spot it yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Provided you don't run into and block a player and give away a penalty, the exact opposite to what Joe would look for, very lucky to get away with it and if you can't see the difference you haven't been paying attention.

So no penalty given away.....try given...Joe wants to have his babies!!!

So no penalty given away.....try given...Joe wants to have his babies!!!

Spot on really, a great line and he did very well to disrupt two defenders far enough away from play to get away with it. It was Bohane if I'm not mistaken, so he also then got himself upfield to save Sweetnam's ass by scoring the try. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The forwards are well drilled as a unit. Decent lineout, strong maul and maul defence, but I don't get the impression that they have that harder core to them to really grind an opposition down. We'll probably never see a pack like Munster's from the mid 00s again and that's fine. That pack was quite possibly a one off generational fluke, but even as a Leinster fan I don't like seeing Munster's current pack and thinking "meh".

Spot on really, a great line and he did very well to disrupt two defenders far enough away from play to get away with it. It was Bohane if I'm not mistaken, so he also then got himself upfield to save Sweetnam's ass by scoring the try. Fair play to him.

He did do well to get into position for the try, but the block was far more an example of very poor refereeing and less an example of how to run a dummy line.

He ran into two players and created a clear obstruction, I couldn't believe at the time that it wasn't instantly pinged. Great to get away with, but let's not pat the guy on the back for making a balls of a move just because he got away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ross Byrne on loan.

He did do well to get into position for the try, but the block was far more an example of very poor refereeing and less an example of how to run a dummy line.

He ran into two players and created a clear obstruction, I couldn't believe at the time that it wasn't instantly pinged. Great to get away with, but let's not pat the guy on the back for making a balls of a move just because he got away with it.

He didn't make a balls of a move whatsoever, he created a try. He made the decision to run the line in the context of the game and the referee. It worked out. Another ref and he might not have run the line so aggressively. He will be praised for it just as everyone else is.

• Advertisement

He didn't make a balls of a move whatsoever, he created a try. He made the decision to run the line in the context of the game and the referee. It worked out. Another ref and he might not have run the line so aggressively. He will be praised for it just as everyone else is.

That's nonsense, he wasn't "measuring the refs likely reaction to his aggressiveness" or whatever you want to concoct to make his error seem planned. He over ran and collided with two players and 99 times out of 100 will be penalised for that. Even the TMO was desperate for the ref to wake up and review the lead up.

I'd praise him for proper execution, but that's not what happened.

That's nonsense, he wasn't "measuring the refs likely reaction to his aggressiveness" or whatever you want to concoct to make his error seem planned. He over ran and collided with two players and 99 times out of 100 will be penalised for that. Even the TMO was desperate for the ref to wake up and review the lead up.

I'd praise him for proper execution, but that's not what happened.

Players run lines like that and get away with it all the time at all levels, and different refs react differently to it and you play appropriately. That's the nature of the game around the world.

If we were to start criticising players when they get away with flouting the rules then a lot of the legends of the sport here and abroad would be remembered very differently.

Players run lines like that and get away with it all the time at all levels, and different refs react differently to it and you play appropriately. That's the nature of the game around the world.

If we were to start criticising players when they get away with flouting the rules then a lot of the legends of the sport here and abroad would be remembered very differently.

Rubbish, huge difference between your first paragraph and second and you know it. It was a good move executed poorly and no it doesn't happen all the time. Obstruction much milder than that will always get called.

Being able to work around the laws and be clever and subtle is one thing. Clever and subtle don't apply in this circumstance. You can be happy about having gotten the try without trying to justify it. It was bad referring and decided the game, let's be thankful it decided it in Munster's favor.

Rubbish, huge difference between your first paragraph and second and you know it. It was a good move executed poorly and no it doesn't happen all the time. Obstruction much milder than that will always get called.

Being able to work around the laws and be clever and subtle is one thing. Clever and subtle don't apply in this circumstance. You can be happy about having gotten the try without trying to justify it. It was bad referring and decided the game, let's be thankful it decided it in Munster's favor.

You can keep calling my posts nonsense and rubbish, Cian Bohane can keep running those lines, Munster can keep scoring tries, and the sport will continue on exactly as it always has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Ah he saw a chance to block, he took it, and it paid off, it's a gamble that worked, the day it backfires you can tell us so......until then...it was a magnificent piece of football intelligence and he played the referee like a Stradivarius

You can keep calling my posts nonsense and rubbish, Cian Bohane can keep running those lines, Munster can keep scoring tries, and the sport will continue on exactly as it always has done.

Well if you want to applaud players in circumstances that will rarely if ever repeat themselves that's fine, I'd rather see them get things right but horses for courses.

Apologies for the nonsense and rubbish though, far too dismissive on my part.

Ah he saw a chance to block, he took it, and it paid off, it's a gamble that worked, the day it backfires you can tell us so......until then...it was a magnificent piece of football intelligence and he played the referee like a Stradivarius

That's fine but any other ref seeing that is going to penalise it and you lose the one try scoring opportunity produced in the second half, the overlap had already been created. It was a bad decision let off by poor refereeing.

The point is that it did backfire and required a terrible refereeing lapse (even being prompted by the TMO to go back and review) to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't think it was a blocking run at all. It was a decoy run that was timed slightly off. If you watch the man he's looking to fix he bought the dummy hook, line and sinker. That's why it wasn't a block at all. He didn't get in the way of someone making a tackle because the defender never made an attempt to tackle Bohane.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't think it was a blocking run at all. It was a decoy run that was timed slightly off. If you watch the man he's looking to fix he bought the dummy hook, line and sinker. That's why it wasn't a block at all. He didn't get in the way of someone making a tackle because the defender never made an attempt to tackle Bohane.

He did also keep pushing and take another man out. It was pretty deliberate but I think you're right in that it wasn't nearly as obvious as is being made out. I don't think either would have gotten to the ball.

Anyway it was an excellent move and the best piece of attacking play Munster produced on the night.

• Advertisement

He did also keep pushing and take another man out. It was pretty deliberate but I think you're right in that it wasn't nearly as obvious as is being made out. I don't think either would have gotten to the ball.

Anyway it was an excellent move and the best piece of attacking play Munster produced on the night.

If a blatant piece of foul play that any even remotely competent ref would have pinged is the best piece of attacking play on the night (not to mention the ball being dropped behind the try line) it's worrying times to be honest.

Advertisement