Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Dragons, Sat 17th Sept 5:15pm; Sky Sports

Options
  • 16-09-2016 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Newport Gwent Dragons team to face Munster

15 Carl Meyer, 14 Pat Howard, 13 Tyler Morgan, 12 Jack Dixon, 11 Hallam Amos, 10 Nick Macleod, 9 Sarel Pretorius;
    1 Sam Hobbs, 2 Rhys Buckley, 3 Brok Harris, 4 Nick Crosswell, 5 Rynard Landman, 6 Lewis Evans ©, 7 Ollie Griffiths, 8 Ed Jackson.

Replacements: Darran Harris, Thomas Davies, Craig Mitchell, Cory Hill, James Thomas, Charlie Davies, Angus O’Brien, Adam Warren.

Munster:
    Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Keith Earls, Dan Goggin, Ronan O'Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray;
    James Cronin, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Donnacha Ryan; Billy Holland Capt., Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, Dave Kilcoyne, Brian Scott, Dave O'Callaghan, Conor Oliver, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Colm O'Shea.

Released to AIL: Robin Copeland, John Madigan, Darren O'Shea, Alex Wootton, David Johnston, John Andress and Peter McCabe

The big guns return. Bleyendaal is back fit with Billy Holland moving to the backrow ahead of Dave O'Callaghan. Earls starting at 13 means the starting back three from last week is retained. Colm O'Shea is set to make his Munster debut.

Brian Scott is our TH replacement again (no John Andress). Andress is fit as he's been released to the AIL.

Comments

Better looking team - will be interesting to see how Murray and Bleyendaal go. Some forward mobility coming off the bench also. Despite the try I thought Kilcoyne was very poor last week, didn't show up defensively and was a turnstyle at times, didn't get stuck in much at the breakdown and was a bit of a passenger. Needs to be put under pressure for his place in the team or he is going to regress further.

Good opportunity for Sweetnam to further impress with quite a bit of pace inside him. Worried about Earls at 13 but against Dragon's he shouldn't be under too much pressure. Should be a good game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Andress is fit as he's been released to the AIL.

Sweet jesus. Worst signing ever.

Good Munster team though, especially up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Sweet jesus. Worst signing ever.

Good Munster team though, especially up front.

I raise you Clint Newland. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I raise you Clint Newland. ;)

Sean McCarthy...... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Munster:
    Andrew Conway; Darren Sweetnam, Keith Earls, Dan Goggin, Ronan O'Mahony; Tyler Bleyendaal, Conor Murray;
    James Cronin, Niall Scannell, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Donnacha Ryan; Billy Holland Capt., Jack O'Donoghue, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, Dave Kilcoyne, Brian Scott, Dave O'Callaghan, Conor Oliver, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Colm O'Shea.

Released to AIL: Robin Copeland, John Madigan, Darren O'Shea, Alex Wootton, David Johnston, John Andress and Peter McCabe

Strange that Copeland is released to play AIL and we're starting Holland in the backrow with DOC and Oliver on the bench.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Sean McCarthy...... :o

Ah yes! The most expensive full-time AIL player ever? :D

All the provinces have had their share of duds. I remember a long thread about them years ago.
    phog wrote: »
    Strange that Copeland is released to play AIL and we're starting Holland in the backrow with DOC and Oliver on the bench.

He's coming back from a groin injury but it's probably not a good sign for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Copeland doesn't deserve his place in the squad based on his performances. Been a very poor signing thus far. This could be the kick in the arse he needs

leakyboots wrote: »
    Copeland doesn't deserve his place in the squad based on his performances. Been a very poor signing thus far. This could be the kick in the arse he needs

I wouldn't agree with that but he does drop in form at times, as you say this might be the kick in the arse he needs.

You left out 'in the squad' - I mean matchday squad. We're rightfully having a look at young Oliver 'cos (again) this season we're going into it with only one recognised 7 in TOD. The rest are there on merit over him.

From what I've heard anyway Rassie has told ALL players that if they're not being picked or in his immediate plans they're to go back to their clubs - can only be good for the players to get gametime and it gives a bit of a boost to the AIL if a couple of big names like him end up playing (though there's probably an argument about it being unfair to opposition to be had)

• Advertisement

leakyboots wrote: »
    You left out 'in the squad' - I mean matchday squad. We're rightfully having a look at young Oliver 'cos (again) this season we're going into it with only one recognised 7 in TOD. The rest are there on merit over him.

I left it out because I thought you meant "The Squad" as opposed to "the matchday squad"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Saw Howard play a few times last season and he wasn't a patch on his time here at Munster...don't think being shunted out to the wing is going to suit him and think we'll make progress down that side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Will Munster win this game?That is all I want to know!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Johngoose wrote: »

Put the house insurance on it

Johngoose wrote: »

Munster really should. It would be a worse result than last week if they didn't. Dragons will be a basement team this season.

First time in a while we've been able to put out a very strong team, so it should be just a matter of our half backs getting in tune with each other and just kicking on from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Murray and Bleyendaal will be interesting to say the least. Looking forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

That's a strong Dragons side, I'd take a losing bonus point now.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Munster just posted on twitter that Earls is out with a hamstring niggle. Colm O'Shea starts, with Bohane coming on to the bench. That is a really inexperienced centre partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Dragons are fundamentally rubbish but always stubborn at home. It won't be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Munster just posted on twitter that Earls is out with a hamstring niggle. Colm O'Shea starts, with Bohane coming on to the bench. That is a really inexperienced centre partnership.

Another injury....suddenly my post on the Leinster page looks pretty spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

No it still looks as wrong as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Dragons second choice out half starting.
    First choice injured in warmup (sorry don't know name)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

dragons fly half pulled out too .....

Munster with a bp win here today methinks

Doesn't look like a great turn out in the stands.
    For a Saturday afternoon game in the sun, that's a bit poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Impressive scrum. Keep that up for the rest of the game and I can see a bonus point coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Should have had a go at the dragons back with the advantage from the scrum.

Should have had a go at the dragons back with the advantage from the scrum.
    Looked like Murray wanted it and for whatever reason CJ kept it at his feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Looked like Murray wanted it and for whatever reason CJ kept it at his feet.

I thought the same but for all we know that signal meant "give it to me 3 secondsfrom now" !!! ;)

Advertisement