Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three (UK) Mobile preloaded 3GB Data

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

coldfire1x wrote: »
    That's correct, tethering not allowed on this sim while roaming.

Just fired mine up in my galaxy beam (thanks bargain alerts) and was able tether two handsets and surf the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

They also do a 1gb version of this for 5/6 pounds which might be of interest to some people?

Can they be topped up to use again?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

barneyrub wrote: »
    They also do a 1gb version of this for 5/6 pounds which might be of interest to some people?

Can they be topped up to use again?

You can top up according to the leaflet that came with mine. The rates are more expensive than buying a new SIM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

tomslick wrote: »
    was able tether two handsets and surf the net.

I never had any trouble tethering either, but it seems some people do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Cant get the tethering working, tried few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Three roaming wont work on 4G, its only 2G and 3G networks when abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Bought one of these and tried it today. It works fine for roaming in ROI when used in a phone (dual sim) but will only tether when in the UK. I tried it across the border in NI and tethering worked on my phone there, but failed to work in ROI.

Maybe it works when used in a dongle or a mifi gadget when roaming (ie in ROI or other 'feel at home' locations) but the warning from Three comes up on my tablet when trying to tether via my phone at home (ROI). This is the same as what happens with an ordinary 3 mobile sim. Ergo, it won't tether in Spain either, which is what I'd hoped.

Still a very good deal for data on a mobile phone, so I'm happy enough :) Would love to know how others are connecting and tethering while roaming - is it via a dongle or what?

I never had any trouble tethering

I must have had a different sim or phone when it worked for me or I was lucky, Three UK changed something or my recollection is faulty.

Got a new sim card today and it won't tether in the phone, but it works perfectly in the phone for data and it also works perfectly when I put it in a mifi device.

I must have had a different sim or phone when it worked for me or I was lucky, Three UK changed something or my recollection is faulty.

Got a new sim card today and it won't tether in the phone, but it works perfectly in the phone for data and it also works perfectly when I put it in a mifi device.

Somehow, Three recognises that my sim is in a phone, or maybe it's just my phone (Motorola G, dual sim) and throws up the warning/refusal message. I am considering getting a mifi - any recommendations? I'd really like something on the budget end.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Somehow, Three recognises that my sim is in a phone, or maybe it's just my phone (Motorola G, dual sim) and throws up the warning/refusal message. I am considering getting a mifi - any recommendations? I'd really like something on the budget end.

Yep, Three Uk seem to have got very clever re. sniffing out tethering , surprising that Three Irl don't do it yet.

In this case it's a bit silly because it's a data only mobile broadband sim designed to be used in a mifi, but obviously not in a phone pretending to be a mifi.

Any unlocked mifi should be fine, obviously 4G models are a bit dearer.
    On adverts.ie you can usually get a 3G one for €15 - €20. If you check Ebay most of them can be unlocked for a couple of quid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

do you have to use parcel motel to get a sim delivered?

Tinie wrote: »
    do you have to use parcel motel to get a sim delivered?

Nah, My Memory or Amazon Uk deliver here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Got this for a trip to Austria on the weekend. Worked perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Amazon had an exclusive 24GB/24 month validity data sim that went on sale yesterday for £28.40.

It has since gone out of stock, but if you're interested, keep an eye out for it. http://amzn.eu/9TeeiJ4

Amazon had an exclusive 24GB/24 month validity data sim that went on sale yesterday for £28.40.

It has since gone out of stock, but if you're interested, keep an eye out for it. http://amzn.eu/9TeeiJ4

Back in stock for anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Thats a savage offer. Circa €35 for 24GB for 24 months.

Note: offer is only available until December 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

kn wrote: »
    Thats a savage offer. Circa €35 for 24GB for 24 months.

Note: offer is only available until December 15th.

You need to remember this will only work for 2 months a year outside the UK and that includes here in Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

How does the 2 months of the year thing get calculated - if I have it turned off and its not in use, then it wont be counted as a day towards my 60 days I can use outside of UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

valor wrote: »
    How does the 2 months of the year thing get calculated - if I have it turned off and its not in use, then it wont be counted as a day towards my 60 days I can use outside of UK?

If you use it for 7 days in Jan and then 1 day in March in Feel at home destinations then then you will not be able to use it in another in May as Your 2 months have already been used ,

When you use it in the second month you are sent a txt telling you that feel at home is only for leisure travel and you can only use in 2 months out of 12.

It is not 60 days it is use in 2 months out of 12,

TimHorton wrote: »
    If you use it for 7 days in Jan and then 1 day in March in Feel at home destinations then then you will not be able to use it in another in May as Your 2 months have already been used ,

When you use it in the second month you are sent a txt telling you that feel at home is only for leisure travel and you can only use in 2 months out of 12.

It is not 60 days it is use in 2 months out of 12,

Do you know if you use it randomly in UK/NI over the entirety of the 12 months if there's any re-set advantage for the 2 months allowance in Feel at Home destinations?

Seems very restrictive for genuinely resident UK users if they cross a border (like NI) on just one day in 2 different months and they're stuffed :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Anybody know if i can put this sim in my phone and use my phone as a hotspot to tether to my laptop?

I'm in the uk right now and i have a 12gb sim in phone but it won't connect to laptop, just wondering can this sim can only tether using a dongle or what?

gustafo wrote: »
    Anybody know if i can put this sim in my phone and use my phone as a hotspot to tether to my laptop?

I'm in the uk right now and i have a 12gb sim in phone but it won't connect to laptop, just wondering can this sim can only tether using a dongle or what?

Once you're not roaming (and if you're in the UK with a UK sim, you're not) you can tether. In Feel at Home countries, 3UK won't allow it via a phone but works fine with a mifi.

This might help you set it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭masterboy123

People are saying this has very slow net speed and took ages to find things on google maps.
    Is there any other sim? I am looking for 3GB Internet only sim for San Francisco and Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

People are saying this has very slow net speed and took ages to find things on google maps.
    Is there any other sim? I am looking for 3GB Internet only sim for San Francisco and Vegas.
    You could go in to Walmart and buy a pre paid sim for $40 https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Activation-Kit/49217814#about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Many thanks. Any other possible option in the range of 25e? I need it for only 10 days trip.
    BrendanD wrote: »
    You could go in to Walmart and buy a pre paid sim for $40 https://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Mobile-Activation-Kit/49217814#about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

I bought the 3GB just under three months ago now and have used it abroad in about 8 countries I never received any warning about not being allowed to use it outside of the UK. It would appear to be good for the full 3 months regardless of how you use it. Mind you I always took it out of the SIM tray when back in Ireland.

For people worried about the speed it can be bad but I found it depends on the country. Worst experience was in Belgium and the best in Austria. Its throttled some way I've found the odd time its quicker on E than on H+ but it'll get you there in the end with a bit of patience.

Fair play to the OP, I have purchased another one to last me till the new EU roaming regulations come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

BrendanD wrote: »

Thanks very much for this link.
    Any idea what does that actually give you? Minutes, data text etc?

Off to US this year and if it has a bit of data it looks ideal.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

So, I'm living in Spain but I live in a flat with quite a few others so the internet is pretty awful but I'm now considering something like this or similar. anyone any experience using this in Spain and how throttled the speeds are?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Setanter

Thanks very much for this link.
    Any idea what does that actually give you? Minutes, data text etc?

Off to US this year and if it has a bit of data it looks ideal.

Have used these before satisfactorily for USA

https://zipsim.us/talk-text-data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,971 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Setanter wrote: »
    Have used these before satisfactorily for USA

https://zipsim.us/talk-text-data

Thanks I'll have to look into this coverage wise, looks patchy where I'm going, but that'll probably be similar with all providers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement