Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three (UK) Mobile preloaded 3GB Data

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

5starpool wrote: »
    Mine didn't. I am using a dual sim phone too (one plus two) with all roaming on, data set to that sim and the setting sin the 3 account all allow roaming, but was told it can't be used in a phone after contacting support, although they usually know fúck all in reality. When I turn the SIM on I can see it gets a signal, but have never been able to get data working on it, whether I connect it manually to a 3 Ireland network or else select auto connect.

Do you need to setup or choose a different APN to get it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

5starpool wrote: »
    Mine didn't. I am using a dual sim phone too (one plus two) with all roaming on, data set to that sim and the setting sin the 3 account all allow roaming, but was told it can't be used in a phone after contacting support, although they usually know fúck all in reality. When I turn the SIM on I can see it gets a signal, but have never been able to get data working on it, whether I connect it manually to a 3 Ireland network or else select auto connect.

Not sure whats wrong with your card and what the support is saying is not right.

As I said, before leaving Dublin, I put the sim in my Onplus 3 phone. Got the APN setting for Three UK automatically, didnt do anything manual.

The same settting working here in US connected to AT&T without any issue.

Check if you have Three UK APN setting in your phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm guessing that given john4321's phone is a dual sim phone, that the APN isn't set for the data sim. Dual SIM phones can be tricky to get working properly as the dual sim aspect causes a lot of extra complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Does it work with 4G in Ireland? It seems cheaper than any local provider for low data users?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

September1 wrote: »
    Does it work with 4G in Ireland? It seems cheaper than any local provider for low data users?

I think if you use it constantly in Ireland, without going to the UK, they cut you off.

For low data users, Lyca mobile have an excellent deal, topup by €5 and you get 5GB of free data. 3G only for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

billbond4 wrote: »
    Only thing is Three know when your streaming abroad and they hammer it, so its quiet slow.
    But for browsing etc its fine.
    I had mine in france during the summer setup as a hotspot and worked great for backing up photos and browsing on other devices.
    And you only get 3G abroad.

I noticed I had trouble streaming audio here with a Three UK SIM. I did read that using the Three UK data aboard, the traffic is VPN'd back to the UK. You're also assigned a UK IP address. With that VPN overhead, it's no wonder things are slower and they probably apply some throttling as well. Not sure if that is still the case but I'd guess so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

bk wrote: »
    I think if you use it constantly in Ireland, without going to the UK, they cut you off.

For low data users, Lyca mobile have an excellent deal, topup by €5 and you get 5GB of free data. 3G only for now.

There is no 4G for Lyca so it is pretty slow, when I roam with Lyca I get much faster Internet than at home :-(

September1 wrote: »
    There is no 4G for Lyca so it is pretty slow, when I roam with Lyca I get much faster Internet than at home :-(

I get about 7Mb/s on Lyca on 3g at home. Which really is plenty for mobile services. And the comment was about a service suited to light data users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I'm based in the UK but back in Ireland a lot. Have a dual sim phone so use the 3 sim for data and a separate one for calls.

One thing I've noticed is a big drop off in download speed once I get back to Ireland. Current 9 Mbps download (from London). Will update when I get over to Dublin this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

that seems like a really good deal.
    even just having it in Ireland for data all the time.
    is there anything like this in Ireland, where you can buy a fixed amount of data and it lasts all year without expiring, instead of having to top up every month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

_kookie wrote: »
    Is there anything like this in Ireland, where you can buy a fixed amount of data and it lasts all year without expiring, instead of having to top up every month.
    Good question...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

_kookie wrote: »
    that seems like a really good deal.
    even just having it in Ireland for data all the time.
    is there anything like this in Ireland, where you can buy a fixed amount of data and it lasts all year without expiring, instead of having to top up every month.

I dont think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Feel Like Home is only allowed to be used outside UK 2 months a year and as is throttled heavily ,
    You wont be able to stream video properly , Audio (Tunein/RTE Radio Player etc.)streams barely work.
    BTW I have used it in the USA , France , Spain , Ireland and Israel and it is great for Social Media, Skype/Facebook Video calls and WhatsApp Audio calls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

TimHorton wrote: »
    Feel Like Home is only allowed to be used outside UK 2 months a year and as is throttled heavily ,
    You wont be able to stream video properly , Audio (Tunein/RTE Radio Player etc.)streams barely work.
    BTW I have used it in the USA , France , Spain , Ireland and Israel and it is great for Social Media, Skype/Facebook Video calls and WhatsApp Audio calls

Thats exactly what it is for. Its great to have it when travelling to keep in contact with everyone, checkout maps, local information etc.

It's a life saver for me for getting Uber taxis while in US. I dont need to worry about where I am going, I know that I can get a taxi back to my hotel no matter what time and where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

Work in hong Kong?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

ronano wrote: »
    Work in hong Kong?

yes it's listed as one of the 42 countries.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home#dest

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Anything like this work in Canada too?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadimmortal

This works out better and includes calls and texts

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

€14 /30 Days

500 National Mins
    500 National Text
    3 GB National Data

Lycamobile is offering zero roaming charges when travelling to any one of a staggering 18 countries around the globe. Applicable to both new and existing customers, this offer removes roaming charges from: Austria, Australia, Belgium, Norway, Germany, Italy, France, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland, Spain, Denmark, Switzerland, Portugal, Romania, Hong Kong,the UK and the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

This works out better and includes calls and texts
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card

Lyca does not allow you to use your data allowance, it's call/sms roaming only.
    Can I use my data allowance in the 18 countries? If not how will I be charged?
    You unfortunately will not be able to use your existing data allowance, instead you will need to buy a relevant data add-on in order to use your mobile data.

And those bundles are not cheap http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

Lyca does not allow you to use your data allowance, it's call/sms roaming only.

And those bundles are not cheap http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

This is a roaming sim, different to the standard plan which is €15 and you get this following

Ireland Plus €15.00
    National Text Unlimited
    National Data 30 GB
    National Minutes Unlimited
    Lyca to Lyca Calls Unlimited
    Lyca to Lyca Text Unlimited

Maybe someone can come along and clear it up, why would they offer 3GB and call it a roaming sim card ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you scroll down on the page you will see the question/answer I posted above in respect of data, there is also the T&C which clearly state the requirements:
    Customers must buy a bundle or top-up for no roaming costs on calls and texts in the 18 Lycamobile countries. Customers must buy a specific data bundle for no roaming costs on data. It’s not possible to use minutes, SMS of bundles, except for selected bundles (Ireland Plus, National M, National UL).

Any data usage when travelling to any of these 18 countries would require the purchase of a data add-on. Your add-on will expire when your current plan expires.

The roaming SIM is not different to the standard sim, all you need to do to get the call/sms roaming is purchase one of 3 available bundles that includes this function and when you are abroad ensure you roam on the local lyca network (not any network, a specific network).

The 14€ is for the national M tariff, the 15€ for the Ireland Plus and all of those allow free roaming of voice/sms. The data allowance is national only not international.

If you look at the pdf on the page you can see which of their available bundles allows free roaming.

If you scroll down on the page you will see the question/answer I posted above in respect of data, there is also the T&C which clearly state the requirements:

The roaming SIM is not different to the standard sim, all you need to do to get the call/sms roaming is purchase one of 3 available bundles that includes this function and when you are abroad ensure you roam on the local lyca network (not any network, a specific network).

The 14€ is for the national M tariff, the 15€ for the Ireland Plus and all of those allow free roaming of voice/sms. The data allowance is national only not international.

If you look at the pdf on the page you can see which of their available bundles allows free roaming.

Ah okay, they should really make that clear lol even after reading the questions below the bundles I didnt get it, thanks.

Got my 3 uk sim there...
    Have data working well here in ireland using it in my oneplus3.
    Going to italy at the weekend. Anything i need to know? It should work the same as here right?

And also people were saying 3 uk blocked their sim occasionally unless people went back to uk. is this right? How do you unblock it then again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

newwan wrote: »

And also people were saying 3 uk blocked their sim occasionally unless people went back to uk. is this right? How do you unblock it then again?

My voice/data SIM got blocked in Oct last year. I rang Three UK customer service (India) and as far as I could tell the block would last 12 months. Guess I'll have to see if roaming is re-enabled next month...

Not sure if this applies to the 3Gb data SIM being discussed here but can't see how it would be different, otherwise everyone would be roaming with one permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

newwan wrote: »
    Got my 3 uk sim there...
    Have data working well here in ireland using it in my oneplus3.
    Going to italy at the weekend. Anything i need to know? It should work the same as here right?

You would have been better off with a 3 Irish SIM as that has AYCED in Italy

Three Ireland don't have "Feel At Home" on their pay as you go SIM's, only on their expensive post pay contracts.

I don't think I would Tim. They only support 3 countries that I'd ever go to and not the states or France where I go most bar Canada but no one does Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Three Ireland don't have "Feel At Home" on their pay as you go SIM's, only on their expensive post pay contracts.

Not true. I am PAYG and used my phone in Italy and England this summer at no extra cost.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They have Three like home on PAYG? I was using it in Italy in June/July.

• Advertisement

kellsred wrote: »
    Not true. I am PAYG and used my phone in Italy and England this summer at no extra cost.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    They have Three like home on PAYG? I was using it in Italy in June/July.

Looks like it has changed slightly from last year, not included in PAYG by default, but you can add it for €3:

https://apps.three.ie/roaming/pages/three-like-home

Though it only covers 6 countries, compared to the 30+ including the US that the UK one covers.

Advertisement